A Girl Called Boy

A Girl Called Boy

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A pampered young African-American girl finds herself mysteriously transported back in time to the days of slavery.
Published February 13th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Called Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Called Boy

Cheryl in CC NV
Intense. Seeing the horrors, and details, of slavery through a modern child's eyes is so much more enlightening than any history text.
I've recommended this book to several students for three reasons: the title is intriguing, the reading level is 7th grade, and the book is obviously African-American lit. I finally decided to read it myself. It's not quite what I expected.

The students really seem to like it but I found it rather bland. There's no real reason for the time travel to occur. Once in the past, Boy really doesn't learn much other than to gain some sympathy for slaves who didn't run away. I didn't see much growth in ch...more
Dawn
I actually yelled at the book when it ended. I sat there and repeated 'No. No. No. No, no, no. No. I liked the book, however it was too short for me.
Christy
This is such a great find! A Girl Called Boy tells the story of a young African American who struggles to understand why her family is proud of their ancestors--southern slaves during the era of the Civil War. On a walk through the woods, Boy suddenly finds herself transported back in time with slave catchers on her trail. This historical fiction novel is exactly the type of book I would have loved and still love to read. Even though it seems written for younger students, I would recommend it fo...more
Carly
I had loved this book growing up. I used to check it out from the library every summer. A few years ago, I bought myself a copy and finally have gotten around to reading it. This is one of my childhood favorites that doesn't quite live up to my memory.

I think that it is a good book for kids and I can see why I loved it when I was one, but now I want more detail. This novel is sort of like an introduction to slavery and what it was like to be a slave. Really good for the 7-10 age group, I think.
Tracy
A modern girl denounces her family for being slaves because she feels they let it happen, until she is transported back in time and finds herself in her great grandmother's shoes.

I really liked the different emotions and perspectives this book brought, but my kids were confused with the time travel, mistaken identity, and other plot twists.

Used for my highest group during Lit circles. Would recommend for upper grades, but students definately needed support while reading.
Lexi Lexi
It's a very sad book and disappointing lite way.
I'm not eager or excited to keep reading it, I have too read a book and plus it's Black history month.
The main character is Boy,she wish she had a real girl name.
She Hates her Name !
Her mother named her boy because it's a family tradition, Boy was her Mother's name so she Named Boy Boy.
Boy's mother treats her as if she's her own personal save.
she has Boy do everything.
Breona
This book took me to a whole 'nother world!!!!' On a real-life adventure!!!!! I felt as if I were really there!!! Every step of the way!!! I LOVED reading this book. After I read it the first time I went back and read it again and again and again. I have a copy in my closet right now. This book is awesome! It had my eyes glued to the pages the whole time.
Katrina
Mar 25, 2011 Katrina is currently reading it
so far the book is pretty boring. it seems like boy went back in time some how.boys mother makes her do everything and i kinda know how she feels about her mother making her do everything because that's how i feel.
Lisa Mcbroom
Bertha O. Yancey (BOY for short) is a spoiled pampered young African American girl. A bump on the head transport her back to the days of slavery and she grows to appreciate her ancestors.
Alicia
Karyn Wolstenholme
This read was school assigned book but a good one. Based in Belmont, North Carolina.
Disappointing. Though the premise is promising the story does not deliver.
Bug
Pretty good book
Teazia Cockburn
Teazia Cockburn marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Oliver Holst
Oliver Holst is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Meg
Meg added it
May 31, 2014
Ladeidra
Ladeidra marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Delie
Delie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
My Folks Don't Want Me to Talk about Slavery: Twenty-One Oral Histories of Former North Carolina Slaves Before Freedom, When I Just Can Remember: Twenty-Seven Oral Histories of Former South Carolina Slaves We Lived in a Little Cabin in the Yard Slavery Time When I Was Chillun My Folks Don't Want Me To Talk About Slavery: Personal Accounts of Slavery in North Carolina (Real Voices, Real History)