Start by marking “Selected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Selected Short Stories

Selected Short Stories

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A collection of gay themed short stories ranging from the sad to the whimsical, serving as a wonderful introduction to Ann Somerville's writing. Erotic, naughty, or sweet, there will be something here to delight and amuse almost any reader who loves Somerville's work, or who enjoys good prose, strong characters, and stories just a little out of the ordinary.

Contains two st
Published January 19th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Selected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Short Stories

Dumbledore11214
Jenre
I've not read anything by this author before and I enjoyed this anthology, especially the first two stories. The writing is intelligent and the characterisation is interesting, even in the shorter stories. I bought this anthology because I wanted to try the author and see if I liked her style. I did and may well go on to read further books by her now.
Rafaela
I know I keep telling this story, but earlier this year I got addicted to an Android game, Nun Attack: Run & Gun, and I needed diamonds to upgrade my Nuns. Fortunately, I noticed I could get a whole bunch of diamonds if only I spent 3€ in the Kobo Store... and this happened.

“This” is a book composed of six gay-themed short stories by Ann Somerville, one of them impossibly longer than the others – but that’s kind of the rule for collections, isn’t? Anyway. Having read The Surrogate, I kind of
Alex
Overall
As a collection of short stories, this was a nice mix. It allows new readers to get a varied taste of what Somerville is capable of, and for free to boot! I read these out of order (skipping the first two then going back to read them, merely because of time constraints at the time). Two of the stories are merely a snapshop of a scene or a element of a man's life and are enjoyable but leave more questions asked than answered, which isn't a bad thing considering what they're made to do. Thr
A.B. Gayle
I really appreciate Ann's way with words. I get the impression she chooses each one very carefully.
Of these stories, I actually preferred the last one the best. Ann's stories often have a social agenda. That's fine with me. Fiction is a great way to explore themes that worry you in the world. However, I acknowledge that many readers don't agree.
I felt her story about homeless men and the difficult transition to feeling you have worth and being able to trust again was expertly handled in
Kia Shiru
I tried getting through the book but felt like there was too much comforting the reader. I kept being pulled out of the story by sentences like "he did this all the time" and "I knew I was safe because...". I felt it wanted to excuse itself for being on the edge.
I did find the story interesting but I couldn't get into it.
Lady*M

Excellent collection of short stories, perfect for sampling Somerville's writing. A half star less than perfect rating is due to personal taste.
Charming
I enjoyed the first two stories about Tom and Sean, even though BDSM is rarely my thing. The rest were not very good.
Tj
Enjoyed the longer stories than the shorter ones but all were well written.
Sandra
Dec 10, 2011 Sandra marked it as to-read
$1.99 on Nook
Jen Crady
Jen Crady marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Alex
Alex added it
Nov 29, 2013
Joseph Mansfield
Joseph Mansfield marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Sally halliday
Sally halliday marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Viv Ross
Viv Ross marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Ellen
Ellen added it
Mar 24, 2013
MBJ
MBJ marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ann Somerville grew up in one of Australia’s prettiest small cities. In 1989, she left Australia with a BA and a burning ambition to see more of the world and its people, and to discover this ‘culture’ thing people kept telling her about. In 2006, she returned home to Southeast Queensland with two more degrees (this time in science and IT), an English husband and a staggering case of homesickness, ...more
More about Ann Somerville...
Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1) Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1) I Was An Alien Cat Toy Somatesthesia Many Roads Home