Start by marking “Dove in the Window (Benni Harper, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dove in the Window (Benni Harper, #5)

Dove in the Window (Benni Harper #5)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,558 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Benni Harper, the spirited ex-cowgirl, quilter, and folk-art expert, has an eye for murderous designs--and a talent for piecing together the most complex and cold-blooded crimes

Benni and her relatives and friends are gathered for the family's annual barbecue and cattle roundup. Among the guests is Shelby Johnson, a young photography student from a wealthy Chicago family. I
Published May 1st 1999 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published May 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dove in the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dove in the Window

Sue
Feb 16, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #5 of the Benni Harper series gets the suspects together at the annual Thanksgiving roundup at the Ramsey Ranch. Because there's a women and western art festival going on in town, some women artists are also invited to the ranch to observe and one of them is found dead. Benni tries hard to stay out of the investigation but is unable to do so because if she did, there wouldn't be a story. These are fun, fast reads that have fun characters, some arts & crafts, some mystery, and a dangerou ...more
Cindy
Nov 12, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I enjoy most about this series is the often volatle relationship between the Benni and Gabe. Supporting characters are also developing their unique personalities, which makes the plot even more interesting. Earlene Fowler, keep writing and I'll keep reading!
Johnny
Apr 07, 2016 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Benni Harper, as the protagonist of what one guesses should be called a “cozy” series (amateur sleuth, usually female, prone more to intellectual and instinctual investigation that physical confrontation), couldn’t avoid a crime scene if she tried. This time, the crime scene is thrust upon her and no matter how she would like to stay out of it, she feels an obligation—to duty and to her ability to give up a significant grieving in her emotional life—to keep probing around the edges as though the ...more
Sheila
Sep 25, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, wom-2016
Things are never dull in Benni's world
Sabine
Sep 11, 2015 Sabine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-books
In diesem fünften Buch steht das große Heritage Days Fest in San Celina bevor und Benni hat daher viel Arbeit mit ihrem Museum. Außerdem steht auf der Ranch der Ramseys aus diesem Anlass eine große Feier bevor, zu der alle Familienmitglieder, Freunde und Bekannte eingeladen sind. So auch Bennis Ex-Schwager Wade, der Benni grollt, dass sie so schnell nach dem Tod seines Bruders wieder geheiratet hat und daher auch ständig mit Gabe aneckt. Auch eine der Künstlerinnen, die Fotografin Shelby sorgt f ...more
Alice Harbin
F/M Benni Harper Ortiz who has lived on a California ranch all of her life, is an organizer of her town’s Heritage Festival combined with celebration of Western women artists. Her second husband of 2 years is the chief of police of the town. Her grandparents own a cattle ranch just outside of town and are hosting the town, plus a family reunion for a barbque and calf branding, a family tradition. Her first husband’s brother, Wade, from Tx and her step cousin, Emory,from AR unexpectantly show up. ...more
Joan
Aug 11, 2012 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Earlene Fowler novels which contain a little romance, a little intrigue, a little who-done-it mystery and a lot of close knit family and friends. This was my least favorite of her quilt top books, however. It seemed to me like the whole novel was full of one liners, and cliches. I did enjoy it though, and would probably give it a 3 1/2 if that was possible. Erlene Fowler is a 3 time Agatha Award nominee and her stories make you feel like you are watching the "Murder She Wrote" television ...more
Rachel Huddleston
Feb 06, 2014 Rachel Huddleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dove In the Window" is a murder mystery set in the small western town of San Celina. Benni Harper is married to the police chief, and can't help but meddle in local mysteries, despite the many criminals, threats, and dangers that come her way. She's like a modern-day, rough on the edges, cowgirl Miss Marple. But it's no Agatha Christie masterpiece. The plot of the book seems like it takes awhile to pick up, and then feels a bit rushed towards the end, but the colorful characters and intimate se ...more
Lori Limberger
Nov 07, 2013 Lori Limberger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Paula
Feb 13, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benni is participating in a large gathering of her family and friends at a bbq before an art show and other goings on in the small ranching town of San Celina. There are many guests including a young photographer named Shelby. She has been shadowing Benni and taking black & white photos of her working on the ranch. Shelby will be one of 3 artists featured at the towns art store. When Shelby is found dead, Benni is forced to look at some of her relatives who might be responsible.

This is the 5
Rachel
Oct 01, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
At least this one made sense, while further developing the relationship between Gabe and Benni. The mystery is always sort of an afterthought in these books. I still have a problema with the Spanish in the dialog, because no one speaks that way. I also find that, unless you are a character that Fowler is willing to invest in (like Dove, the grandmother, or Elvia, the best friend) you will mysteriously disappear in all following books. In the last book Benni was so close to Grace and went to her ...more
Denise Rodgers
Nov 20, 2015 Denise Rodgers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book at least twice now, as I have it in both paperback and on my Kindle. I love visiting San Celina and being with Benni Harper and all her family and friends. The characters are real and there is always more to the story than the mystery in the Benni Harper books. In this book (#5), Benni's grandmother, Dove, develops a love interest. Unlike other popular books (that I enjoy, by the way), there is no interminable love-triangle or non-ending sexual tension to keep your interest. ...more
JoDee
Mar 29, 2011 JoDee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite series as it mixes characters, a little murder, a little art, and it is based in an imaginary city that is modeled after my place of birth. This is a great part of California and it heightens my enjoyment of the books. Benni is great, a survivor who marries a man who has also had his troubles and the two learn to trust and love and find joy in the world while fighting crime. Of all the supporting characters her grandmother Dove is the most heartwarming, not only does she take ...more
Emily Cullen
May 12, 2016 Emily Cullen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a young artist killed on her family's ranch and one of her relatives suspected, cow-girl and museum curator Benni Harper sets out to find who the person was that cut down the life of the rising artist. I really enjoy the Benni Harper mystery series. Benni is interesting and likable and so are the storylines and characters, plus it is interesting to see what life is like on a Western California ranch. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Kieraanne
Sep 02, 2011 Kieraanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
I was going to skip this one, but I ended up re-reading it anyway. I liked the addition of Emory and Isaac Lyons to the characters and again enjoyed the interaction between Benni and Gabe more then the story. Benni always seems to be in charge of some festival or another...I swear that town must have a festival every other week the way these books are written..definitely at least once a month which seems a little excessive to me, but I guess it's a plot theme that the author enjoys.
Becky Galambos
Nov 24, 2014 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread April 2013, November 2014 as I reread my way through the Benni Harper series. This is one of my favorite books, as it introduces some of my favorite characters in the series, such as Emory, Isaac, and D-Daddy Boudroux, and we see a lot of other characters I love, like Elvia and Dove.

This series is all about the characters to me, the mystery is almost secondary since i'm rereading and know who did it.
Donna
Jun 24, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During a family reunion, a up and coming young photographer, Shelby, is found dead on the ranch. Is it Wade, her former brother in law, who committed the crime? Benni believes he is innocent and sets out to find the killer. Did Shelby leave a big clue behind.

Fill of twists and turns and lovely exchanges between Benni and her chief of police husband. I enjoy this series after reading a heavy "novel." The mysteries are entertaining as well written.
❂ Jennifer
Oct 21, 2011 ❂ Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The more I read this series, the more I really like it. I found some of the elements in the story to be predictable, but it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of this book. I genuinely enjoy watching the character development and I look forward to seeing what will happen with Elvia's love life from here. Now I just have to wait for Mariner's compass to arrive! :)
Judy
Aug 25, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these Benni Harper mysteries. They are always a fun fast read. I sometime think I have the mystery solved, then I doubt it, then it turns out I was right after all. FUN!!!

Earlene Fowler builds her character, you feel like they are real people you could be friends with. I hope I never get as involved in actual murders though, as Benni Harper does!!!
Judy
Aug 15, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My notes indicate this is 302 page book published in 1998. Homey dialog paints rich descriptions in this episode in "Benni Harper's" life. The backstory conflict centers around Dove, Isaac is introduced for the first time. Greed and panic were the driving forces behind the main storyline. I always recommend Earlene Fowler. . . fast, fun, involving reads. Always.
Ellen
Feb 17, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As book five in the series, Dove in the Window was as fun and exciting to read as book one. Earlene Fowler continues to offer surprises and twists in plot and character development. Can't wait to read book six.
Kitty Tomlinson
Nov 27, 2011 Kitty Tomlinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
When photographer Shelby Johnson is murdered during the San Celina, California, Heritage Days celebration, her friend Benni Harper, dedicated quilter, rancher turned museum curator, and new wife of Police Chief Gabe Ortiz, searches for the killer.
Debbie
Jan 02, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like one Benni Harper Mystery, you'll like 'em all. This offering not only leads us on a new murder mystery for our quilting sleuth, but also introduces the lovable Isaac Lyons to the growing population of San Celina.
Catherine Woodman
This continues to go well. The writing is not at a high caliber but it is pleasant. I like the quilt references, and Benni Harper is good--sometimes I find her a little annoying but she is largely a good character
Jen Yttri (Lynch)
I actually enjoyed this and picked it up randomly from the library. Very true to the traditional mystery style but with developed characters that are often lost in other mystery novels. Quick and easy read.
Sjfstudio
Mar 19, 2014 Sjfstudio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quilting
#5 in the Benni Harper series was one of my favorites to date, as it deals not only with murder and quilting, but with insights on art and artists and what they face on a day to day basis. Usually these series start to peter out around this time, but so far, so good.
Michele
Jun 01, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had taken a break from this series.....not for any reason other than I was busy. It was great to be back with these characters...there is always a new twist just when you are least expecting it.
Mary Rohrbeck
Jan 05, 2013 Mary Rohrbeck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, i especially like Dove's character so i really enjoyed this book that delved into her character more than usual
Carolyn
Sep 24, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started on the 20th, finished on the 23re. Another good Benni Harper mystery. Good find of books at garage sale.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, cozy
This series is always good for a cozy read. California with a Kansas connection throwing in quilting, family, and a murder makes me happy.
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
  • The Lost Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #14)
  • A Killer Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, #4)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Touching Stars (Shenandoah Album)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
Earlene Fowler was raised in La Puente, California, by a Southern mother and a Western father. She lives in Southern California with her husband, Allen, a purple pickup truck, and many pairs of cowboy boots. She is currently working on the next Benni Harper mystery.

Series:
* Benni Harper Mysteries
* Love Mercy Johnson Mystery
More about Earlene Fowler...

Benni Harper (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2)
  • Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)
  • Goose in the Pond (Benni Harper, #4)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
  • Arkansas Traveler (Benni Harper, #8)
  • Steps to the Altar (Benni Harper, #9)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
  • Broken Dishes (Benni Harper, #11)