Start by marking “Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC” as Want to Read:
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC

Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC

The captain of this brave and bumbling pirate crew has ordered them to capture the entire alphabet--and they'll walk the plank if they're missing a single letter! Now these swashbuckling mateys are embarking on an alphabet adventure unlike any other, and they won't (ahem, "can't") rest until they've found an "A," a "Z," and everything in between.
June Sobel's hilarious tex
Published September 7th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shiver Me Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiver Me Letters

Jodi Young
This book was neat. Children will loved to share their best "rrrrr"! I would not only use this book as an alphabet book, but I would expand it and have the students find letters in their surroundings just like the Pirates did and "capture" them! Then maybe we can make our own story! We could even do a scavenger hunt and find the letters in ABC order!
Maria Thompson
Awards: None

Grade Level: Prekindergarten-2nd

Summary:
The pirate captain of the ship is tired of say "RRRRRRR" all the time. He decides to set assail and sends his crew out looking for other letters. The crew finds all the letters except the letter "z". Finally the letter "z" appears when everyone is dreaming "zzzzzzz" in their sleep.

Review:
I loved that this alphabet book was also a rhyming book. Rhyming is one of the foundational skills for phonemic awareness. I also love the facial expressions o
Amber Lund
It was cute
David
Mar 09, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, humor, abc
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel, illustrated by Henry Cole sets a pirate crew on a search to find every letter of the alphabet.

Cole's detailed illustrations were done in watercolor and ink. My favorite images were roaring captain, enthused crew, and the final image.

I can see children liking this. Having an I-Spy hunt for each letter will certainly entertain many. Pirates arrrh always appealing. The rhyming alliterative text will please many. For me, this just didn't overly impress.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Sobel, June. (2006). Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC. Cole, H. New York: Scholastic, Inc.

Literary Genre: (Concept Book) Picture Storybook

The feisty crocodile captain proclaims, “R’s not enough. We need other letters to help make us tough.” Then he sends his animal pirates off on a quest to capture all the other letters in the alphabet. The G glistens in the treasure chest, the T is on a turtle, and the waves washed up W. The letters are humorously hidden throughout the bright, engaging water-c
Amanda Howell
Sep 12, 2013 Amanda Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
Picture Book Soak: Book I Can't Wait to Use with Students

This book uses nautical terms and goofy creatures to bring the alphabet to life for students who are just starting to learn their alphabet. With all of the animals and the brightly colored pages students will really enjoy this story time and time again.

All of the pictures in this book are brightly colored and full of life. All of the pictures take place either on a boat or at a beach. The letters are red in the text so the students can eas
Karen
Jan 09, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week, because he likes ABC books and pirates. And you can't go wrong with a pirate alphabet book, right?

Um, yeah, you kind of can. You could use weird almost rhyme at the beginning of the story, and painful doggerel for the rest of the book. Incidentally, I am not opposed to doggerel unless it is painful. Then you could use some strange items to bring the letters into the book (and the pirate ship). You could make it so confusing an
Cortny Green
Aug 25, 2015 Cortny Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc-books
Shiver Me Letters is a fun book set in the ocean on a pirate ship and on an island where the pirates look for letters.

Using the Ga Standard ELAGSEKRF2:
a. Recognize and produce rhyming words

While reading Shiver Me Letters, have the students point out words that rhyme. You can make it fun by allowing them to dress up as pirates and speak like pirates. So when words like quest and west come up, a student can say "Rrrr quest and west rhyme." If there are any words that do rhyme but your students do
Lisa Carroll
Feb 14, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting and fun ABC book for pirate enthusiasts and inquisitive children who would like to learn their ABC's. The Pirate's in this book are on the hunt fot all the letters of the alphabet. Some of the letters are easy to find, and some are a little tricky, especially for a novice not familiar with the alphabet. We incorporated our own treasure hunt for letters when my son was learning the Alphabet. We would hide letters for him to find and put in his treasure chest. The colors were b ...more
CM
Oct 31, 2015 CM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just so much fun. My nephew went throguh the whole alphabet with me on this without complaint. As for my part, I honestly wanted to read it all over again without him just so I could enjoy how the story sounded out loud.
I wasn't terribly impressed by the illustrations, but maybe that's just because the art style is a little too 'busy' for my taste. I think most children will enjoy it. There's a lot to look at, including the letters hidden in the pictures so that you can find them along
Sassy
Used in a buddy reading center for alphabetizing unit. Students seemed to enjoy it (pirates). Rhyme scheme makes it great for pre-school as well. Fun to read, the cartoonish illustrations are so-so. Once you read How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long and The Ballad of the Pirate Queens by Jane Yolen, a pig in some shorts and a dog in a striped shirt just don't cut it.

Apples and oranges? Maybe.
Jennifer Rampton
Title: Shiver me Letters
Bibliographic Reference: Sobel, J (2006). Shiver me letters. Orlando, FL: Harcourt Books.
Illustrator: Henry Cole
Summary: This story is a pirate twist on ABC’s. It’s a journey on the boat of Pirates and finding all the letters at sea. It is a cute book and can really have the children interact with the book finding the letters. It will help them learn what the letters look like. I would use this book to read allowed and help them learn the ABC’s but then I would put it in
Rosa Cline
Mar 09, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, bedtime
This was such a charming wonderful book! Written in rhyme with a pirate theme. The illustrations are as wonderful as the text. My 3 year old granddaughter as we turned each page she would point to the various letters on the pages and say what they were, so was a great learning experience for her as we read the story. A pirate sends his crew out to find all the letters of the alphabet. And so they go in search of them on land and in the sea and at the end find the z in their own bed! Very fun cha ...more
Ina
Jun 27, 2011 Ina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
This was a creative, well illustrated concept book, and the kids really enjoyed the pirates' quest to steal all the letters of the alphabet for their Captain who decides that "R is not enough.......we need other letters to help make us tough." Did I mention that the Captain is a crocodile and the crew consists of a pig, a cat, a rat, and a mouse? The kids loved many things about this book, including the fact that the parrot on the Captain's shoulder wore a pirate hat and that the captain has a d ...more
Tiffany Wideman
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC is a book about a captain who sends who crew out to find every letter of the alphabet. Each page has great illustrations and catchy rhymes. I would use this book in my classroom to not only review the alphabets but teach rhyming skills also. An example from this book that emphasizes rhyming is "R's not enough we need other letters to make us tough." While reading this book I can prompt the students to make sure they use their listening ears so they can hear the wo ...more
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Two - 2nd Grade
Ahoy! A quest to find the alphabet; otherwise, yee walk the plank! This pirate theme book will hold the interest of children as they search for the alphabet in the illustrations and “yo-ho-ho” and “R-r-r-r” along with the rhyming text.

Early Literacy Skills:

Letter Knowledge
Narrative Skills
Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary

Great for an alphabet, sea, or pirate Storytime!
Taylor Jarrell
Oct 07, 2015 Taylor Jarrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc-books
1. Setting: on a boat in the sea
2. Awards: none
3. Author: June Sobel
4. This is a fun ABC book with a pirate theme. Some pirates are sentenced to walk the plank unless they come back with the letters of the alphabet. This book is great for preschool as they learn their letters and could be included in a letter unite. This book is perfect for a treasure hunt for letters. Just like the pirates in the book, have children find the letters instead of treasure.
Kerri Harshaw
One of the best ABC children books I have ever read! A pirate ship run by animals goes on a quest for all the letters of the alphabet. The rhyming text represents each letter by itself as they are found and caught by the pirates. This silly and adventurous story would be great to read to students on National Pirate’s Day in the beginning of the year. Send your students their own quest to find all the letters of the alphabet!
Shelly Itkin
Jun 21, 2016 Shelly Itkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning the alphabet is always fun and thanks to the Pirates and crew they help find things for each letter. As easy as "A" is for anchor they find a mysterious map for the letter "M" and continue thru out the alphabet. It is a wonderfully illustrated book and helps children to explore new things on each page. Once you have read this book to your child or grandchild I guarantee they will want to read and enjoy the pictures over and over again.
Allison Tubaugh
Dec 06, 2016 Allison Tubaugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"RRRRR" growled the pirate, but R did not seem to be enough for this boat full of swashbuckling pirates so they set out on a journey to find more letters. if the pirates missed one letter they would have to walk the plank. do they find all the letter? Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel would be a wonderful read aloud book for preschool through first or second grade because it does review the alphabet in a fun way.
Jackie
"R" roared the Captain...he knew that wasn't enough. So, the pirates set out to capture all the other letters of the alphabet. Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC is full of brightly colored, humorous illutrations to accompany the text.

Used for "Pirates: Arrrggg Mateys" Storytime-June, 2010.
Madison
Oct 03, 2016 Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, pirates, abc
The captain of a pirate ship wants to own more than the letter R. He sends his crew out on a letter finding expedition. My toddler loved finding the letters hidden in the illustrations and learning more pirate vocabulary. Pirates are a big hit at our house. I wouldn't mind reading this book more often.
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a really great book to help students recognize and identify letters in a fun way. After reading this book I may have a class "pirate hunt" and hide all of the letters in my classroom and have the children work together to find all of them.

This is also a great rhyming book because it rhymes throughout the entire story.
Jodie
I like ABC books for younger readers who need to work on letter recognition and just for the pure fun of them. The story itself is fine, but the letters in the pictures could be a bit more creative in my opinion. I liked how some of the letters were something, but others were just themselves. It would have worked better one way or the other. Readers will enjoy the pirates in the story.
Roxy
A band of animal pirates are not happy with only having the letter "R" so they set out on a adventure till search find the rest of the letters. Once they land on a island they discover letters everywhere like digging up a d, or the t on the turtle. All the letters are accounted for except z, which is finally revealed once the pirates drift off to sleep.
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love alphabet books. I think it's because my children are at the stage of learning the letters and sounds and how to read; anything to help them to learn and encourage them to read. Cute, colorful illustrations, and a cute story about a bunch of pirates looking for more than just the letter Rrrrrrrr.
Helen Cox
Denesha Allen
Nov 05, 2012 Denesha Allen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc-book
This book uses the Alphabet book structure. The text is surrounded by the theme of exploration and pirates. For each letter of the alphabet there is a cute little rhyming action sentence that is displayed in the illustration. The text also uses repeating sentence structure. This book could be used in class as a read-aloud and to teach children how to use rhyming sentences.
Liz Todd
This is the kind of ABC book that I like. The pirates are searching for the actual letters, which I like better than just having a list of words in ABC order. Very cute with the rhyming throughout. I liked the ending when the pirates forgot to find the letter Z. I wonder if the kids will realize that they aren't "done" yet. Good one.
Kate Hastings
Oct 11, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool, kindergarten abcs hidden pictures
Shelves: concepts-abc
We LOVE this alphabet book at our house. At first all the pirates care about is "R." But then the captain sends them out to find all the letters. The book also serves as a hidden picture game-- children need to find the letters. Great for letter awareness. The letters are generally big enough that I have Colin trace them with his finger. A FAVORITE at the Hastings Household.
  • Fun Dog, Sun Dog
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out
  • The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town
  • Bubble Bath Pirates
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
June Sobel was born in New York City and grew up in the Long Island suburb of Oceanside, New York. She graduated Skidmore College and has an MFA in Painting from Stanford University. The birth of her son renewed her interest in the read aloud magic of picture books. June loves the challenge of creating books that awaken the wonder of words and pictures in children as well as keep the child alive i ...more
More about June Sobel...