Rebel Fay

Rebel Fay (Noble Dead Saga: Series 1 #5)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,213 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Magiere the Dhampir was created by a shadowy, long-forgotten enemy of many names-an enemy who the elf Leesil was trained from childhood to kill. They were brought together by the Fay to forge an alliance that might have the power to stand against the forces of dark magics. But as Magiere and Leesil uncover the truth, they discover just how close the enemy has always been.....more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Roc (first published January 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Fay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel Fay

Viridian5
I enjoyed Barb & J.C. Hendee's Rebel Fay quite a bit, though I had some problems with it. A lot happens, our protagonists are often in danger, and there are very few slack sections. We and Chap learn more about his purpose and origins, while Magiere gets a glimpse of her possible, highly unpleasant future. I appreciated the character development our protagonists get.

That said, sometimes I wanted to smack Leesil very hard for how often his obsession with finding and rescuing his mother from c...more
Ricky
Catherine Fitzsimmons
I’ve been following this duo’s Noble Dead series since book two – before I realized it was a book 2 – and I was looking forward to this fifth book in the series. I was interested in the idea of a vampire story in a fantasy setting and I found the books I read engaging in a way that regrettably few fantasy books I have read are. The characters are delightfully temperamental and sarcastic, the climax tends to begin directly building starting from about halfway through the book, and in general, the...more
Ken

If you've gotten far enough in the Noble Dead series to get to this, the fifth book, then it's likely that you don't need too much convincing to read on. In many ways, this was the best yet. Our vampire friends Welstiel and Chane, while pivotal to the arc of the series, were becoming a bit tiresome and repetitive in their obsessions, so I'm glad that Rebel Fay doesn't center on them. Instead, the action moves into new territory, literally and figuratively, as our protagonists journey into the El

Tammie
This is Chap's story. I very much enjoyed this book. The Journey into the elven lands breathed new life into the series for me. I liked seeing more from his perspective. And although Wynn does do some stupid things like going off and getting lost, I still like her. Her character grows on me with each book.
Danielle
I found this one to be a bit slower, but I loved it just as much. You get to be in the perspective of Chap much more and I really enjoyed reading it. Though I found this one to be slower nothing about its pace bothers me. We found out a lot about why Leesil was born and why Magiere was born. You got to get a look into the Elven Territories. This I found interesting to find out how they run and handle things. As in the other novels I found Wynn to be a bit annoying, but she has grown on me much m...more
Karissa
This book is the fifth installment of The Noble Dead series by Barb and JC Hendee. This has been a pretty good series.

In this book Leesil, Magiere, Wynn, and Chap make their way into the elvish lands to find and rescue Leesil's mother who is being held captive by the very elves she was working for. As you can imagine upon entering the elvish land things start to get complicated. The party run into a number of elves that they have meet before. They are granted guardianship by Sgaile and Leesil fi...more
Lisa King
Magiere, Leesil, Chap and Wynn make it out of the Warlands but nothing will be the same. Darmouth is dead by Lessil's hands, tricked by an Anmaglahk. Our half-bloods are being used repeatedly as someone else's tools. Leesil is determined to reach the Elven lands and free his mother Nein'a from their clutches. It's the dead of winter as our heroes try to breach the protective mountains that form a barrier to the land of the Elves. Will they survive the harsh conditions to reach the elves? Will Le...more
Krazykiwi
Rebel Fay Book 4 took me three weeks to read, this one I knocked off on the train this afternoon. And not entirely because they were both due back at the library. In fact this is easily the best book of the series.That said, Magiere is still grumpy (but actually making sensible decisions and not just being Miss Stubbornpants), Leesil is sullen and confused but sort of actually has a reason now, Wynn is still annoying but actually gets useful, Welstiel and Chane... meh, who cares about them.

Chap...more
Jenifer1223
The fifth book in the series and it finds Magiere, Leesil, Wynn, and Chap in the Elves territory.

Readers gain a a fair amount of information about the things going on in this story line, but I do feel like this book never really picks up in the way of action like previous books did.

While I like the character of Sgaile, I do NOT like Osha and I'm not super thrilled that he even exists. However, that is merely a personal preference that I'm sure others will disagree with me on.

This book is one...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
I really truly did want to like this book more than I rated it, but, I, for one am sick to death of both Chane and Welsteil, and wish they would just die already! I know, I know, that's just mean and all, but seriously hasn't the storyline gone on long enough? And, I'm tired of the moaning and groaning Chane does about poor defenseless Wynn. Aww shut yer pie hole already!

Leesil is still a killjoy, and will be for as long as I can tell, even after finding his long lost mother Cuirin'nena (Nein'a...more
Kati
Darla Stokes
I thought this was the next book in the series, but I must have missed at least one, because parts had me thoroughly confused. This is obviously not a series where each book stands alone.

One of the things that made it take longer than it should have for me to catch up and get into the characters is that the point of view changes frequently and without warning. Add to that the unnecessarily unpronounceable names and I nearly gave up on it.

Once I finally had the characters straightened out, the ma...more
Schnaucl
I liked this book much more than the previous book in the series. I thought the pacing and the story were better this time around. There was minimal cutting to the antagonists, which was appreciated. I find I don't care about the antagonists at all and each time the story cut to them I was annoyed.

It was interesting to see Chap and Leesil among their own kinds. Leesil's homecoming worked better for me than Seregil's in Lynn Flewelling's Traitor's Moon, though I suspect that's because I spent...more
lynne naranek
Unlike the previous book (Traitor to the Blood) that kinda stuttered and didn't really hook me, Rebel Fay was excellent: devoured it in one day :)

I really like how the history of the forgotten war is slipped in via (stolen by Chap) memories of the Old Man of the Tree (that's my name for him, anyway, LoL!)... and how more pieces of the puzzle are slowly falling into place... I am *really* looking forward to Child of a Dead God, the final book in this series.

I hear there's a spin-off series alrea...more
Nathan
There's really not a whole lot of action in this book compared to previous books in the series.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing as the plot advances further in one novel than it has in any two others.

But it's still hampered by a writing style that I find a bit irritating. It's always tell, don't show. And the characters don't TALK to each other in ways that most human beings that I know do.

Sappy, sentimental, sometimes contrived, it's still interesting enough for me to not downgrade it to 2 st...more
Jean Tatro
This is the fifth book in the excellent series that started with Dhampir. The story continues from the last book and keeps up with its usual edge of your seat excitement and dark intrigue. The characters and settings are vibrant and real, growing as the story progresses. The action is as breath taking as a movie.

This installment does not disappoint. As the series nears its end the pace picks up a bit, and it seems to change point of view more then I remember in the past books. Less emphasis is...more
Steve Melton
Liked the story, hated the book. Maybe it was unique to the e-book version, but the story jumped back and forth between plot threads and points of view with no rhyme, reason, or warning. At times I would have to go back and reread multiple paragraphs because it took me that long to realize I was in a different part of the world with different characters. The stories were as intriguing as ever (although I'm getting bored with Welstiel and Chane sucks since he died, um, again), but the lack of tra...more
Nancy
After a "just okay" fourth book, the fifth book in the Noble Dead series introduces a new setting, new characters, and lots of twists and turns. Barb and JC Hendee manage to stray away from some of the biggest fantasy cliches and create a race of elves that are fascinating, not dull. Much is revealed during this book and the plot progresses forward much more than it did with the fourth book. I was also happy that Chap got a lot of attention. For some reason, I really like him.

Can't wait for the...more
Lisa
I just finished the fourth book in this series and I really liked it! I feel like they give you more information so that the series all falls together and it all starts makeing sense, but then they leave you at the end hanging with even more questions.
I cannot wait for the next book and I am just trying to figure out how this story is all going to end. But they have done a great job with the series so far and I a still enjoyed this one just as much as the other books. What started as a vampire...more
Sean
Fifth book in the Noble Dead series. Two stars is a little harsh, but this one honestly disappointed me. There are some cool revelations about the world, especially the mysterious Great War, but the elves honestly aren't very interesting, and Leesil has been drained of nearly all his earlier charm. The guy was a laughing cardshark in Dhampir, and now he's a moody avenger.

The fights were also lacking, I thought, in contrast to previous volumes. Some of them seemed just tossed in, with no real poi...more
Ben Marble
Jul 12, 2008 Ben Marble rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy/horror fans
First, since I haven't said it yet. Finally a series where Elves aren't thin, short, and somewhat frail. This book regained the momentum that the last book lost. The story forced me to jet forward through it, and I am enjoying the story arc of the books and I'm excited to see how it finishes. One question though... If the main character is Magiere, why does she get one book for her back story, and Leesil gets two? Strange to anyone else?
Rebecca Saxton

It most parts, I absolutely loved this book. The only part that was irritating is that the jumping back to Westiel and Chane did not really seem to need to be in this book at and did not add anything interesting. Also, Leesil acting in such a crazed way was a little much, but overall learning the history of Leesil's heritage and furthering the develop of characters like Chap made for a very quick and enjoyable read.
Enjee
In this book we learn what Magiere was made for (but not until near the end of the book). More unpronounceble names. Not much of a romantic element...unless you count the dog, and even that doesn't last past the end of the book. I don't care for Wynn and I can't beleive that there is a whole new series about her. I have many more books on my TBR pile before I will get to the next (and last) book in this series.
Laura Jean
This book could have been half as long and still made a point, but what the point was I am not sure. I get that the authors were trying to add depth to their fantasy world by exploring the culture of the elves, but it was too long of a bunny trial from main goal of the series. You cannot read this book without reading the others. I felt obligated to finish the series, even though it went downhill.
Leon
This one in the series was really hard to get through. The character interactions felt forced and strained. I realize part of it was because of the story line but it went on for far too long. The ending was a lot smoother and there was a bit more explanation of what is going on a few more twists. I'm not sure if I will be continuing on with the series after this book.
Jen
Favourite Character: Sgaile

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, it picked up in the beginning (like I was hoping) and had very few dull moments (I'm starting to find Westiel and Chane annoying) when they come into the story I find myself rolling my eyes. At any rate, I liked it very much so and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Jay Hendricks
Mar 01, 2008 Jay Hendricks rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, vampires
Fifth book in the Noble Dead series, this one takes our heroes into the elvish lands in a search for one specific person. Action continues to move well in this novel and again like the others, it leaves you hanging at the end wanting more of the main story, (which hopefully should finally be approached some in the next novel?).
Vickey Foggin
Leesil's attempt to tie up the loose ends of his past drags on. In this, they visit the land of the elves. I have read the last book in this series now, and it feels like this one and the previous one "Traitor to the Blood" were just filler to stretch out the story to fill another trilogy.
Jade
I loved this book, as I have with every novel by these two authors. It is also one of my favourites from this series. My biggest frustration was that I kept getting interrrupted when trying to read it - you know, those pesky things like having to eat, sleep and go to work! :)
  • Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2)
  • Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • Chosen (Anna Strong Chronicles, #6)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)

[See NobleDead.org]
Like most writers, I've worked at many jobs in my life, including teaching pre-school until I completed my master's degree in Composition Theory. Between 1993 and 2006, I taught college English while writing fiction on the side, some independently and some with my husband and life-long partner J.C.

Over the years, we've lived in Washington State, Idaho, Colorado, and now moved ju
More about Barb Hendee...
Dhampir (The Noble Dead Saga, Series 1, #1) Thief of Lives (Noble Dead, Series 1, #2) Sister of the Dead (Noble Dead, Series 1, #3) Traitor to the Blood (Noble Dead: Series 1, #4) Child of a Dead God (Noble Dead: Series 1, #6)