Start by marking “The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the Story Within” as Want to Read:
The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the Story Within

The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the Story Within

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  376 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Alan Watt wrote the first draft of his novel Diamond Dogs in just under 90 days, and later sold the North American rights for $500,000 to Little, Brown in a bidding war. The book became a national bestseller, won a slew of awards and is soon to be a major motion picture.

Get the first draft down quickly! The 90-Day Novel is a day-by-day guide through the process of getting
Published May 23rd 2011 by 90-Day Novel Press (first published October 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The 90-Day Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 90-Day Novel

Jessica
This book is a practical how-to book on writing fiction. Many of the how to books are inspirational and theoretical as well as biographical. This book is about the nuts and bolts of getting the story out and onto the page.

The main idea in it is to write the first draft fast, fast, fast. It is messy and ugly and terribly flawed- but it has potential. And it gets you in the habit of writing past your inner critic. The next step is to work with the material it generated to hone a finished work.

This
Jerry Brown
Oct 25, 2010 Jerry Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mandatory-craft
I needed a workshop to overcome a serious block, so I googled everything that was available, from online miracle cures to neighborhood reading clubs.

The only one that stood out was called "The 90-Day Novel Workshop." Unlike the others, most of which were built around structural techniques, this one said forget about structure, we need to probe our unconscious to find the truth about the story we want to tell. And let the structure reveal itself as part of the process. Two meetings a week, two h
Jenna
Nov 02, 2010 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to write a novel. I spent years laboring under what I thought my story was, and using this method, I wrote a first draft in only 90 days!

There is so much freedom in this method, but the book also teaches much about story structure. Most books on writing I've seen focus on either structure or freewriting - this book combines both, and beautifully.

I am told that he is working on a book called The 90-Day Rewrite also, so we will have additional t
Cathryn
Jul 09, 2012 Cathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read over fifty books on the craft of fiction. The 90-Day Novel stands in the top five. Using the exercises in this book changed the way I write fiction. At the risk of melodrama, the book was life-changing in that it opened the door to help me understand why I write the kinds of stories I do, and gave me incredibly deeper access to my Voice. I highly recommend it.
John Gilbert
Alan Watt has hit on an excellent (if not unique) method for leading novice - and experienced - writers towards the goal of writing a good first draft novel. Using stream of consciousness techniques he begins 90 days of writing exercises by exploring the fears of the writer, arguing that even they can be used to form the nucleus of any novel.

He then gets the reader/writer to mine and explore theme, character, and images that could be used to create a novel plot. I say, could, because Watt stres
Carolynstotes
Dec 12, 2010 Carolynstotes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Couldn't Have Done it without Alan Watt and the 90 Day Novel!"

The 90 Day Novel is a savior!! Having never written a full piece before, I signed up for one of Alan Watt's 90 Day Novel Workshops and now am forever grateful!

I truly believe I never would have finished my first novel without the brilliance of the 90 Day Novels guidance. The structure it gives along with a 90 day time commitment creates an environment for creativity to freely flourish within the natural journey towards a transformat
Kathryn
Nov 03, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend wrote the words, 'Al Watt. The 90 Day Novel' on the back of her business card and handed it to me with an emphatic, "Check it out." The next thing I knew I was writing the book I'd put off for over a year.

In my experience, The 90 Day Novel provides an ideal balance between specific guidance and no hard and fast rules, and Al keeps the process moving at a pace that discourages resistance and promotes progress. There is an alchemy to it whereby decisions are made, protagonists come to lif
Mary
I read this book AGES ago. Followed some of the advice, but in the end you end up with nonsense. It would be cool if your subconscious could produce a great novel, but it really can't. It takes quite a bit of research and motivations and things that are well thought out.

On the one hand though, I found out my subconscious makes really questionable choices.
Judy Croome
Feb 02, 2012 Judy Croome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Novice writers

Written in a friendly approachable style, THE 90-DAY NOVEL takes an unusual approach in that it makes a good effort at explaining the unconscious aspects of writing. Combining tips and secrets, quotes and writing exercise, Watt encourages the reader through the dynamic process of completing a first draft of a novel within a 90-day period.

His explanation of showing versus telling to add life to a story was very good, as were many of the writing secrets he revealed. At last I feel comfortable bei
Steve Sasaki
Nov 09, 2010 Steve Sasaki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 90-Day Novel is a book and a process I believe in, and in my view may be larger than the author himself. Alan Watt’s methods coax, guide, and encourage, so virtually all can finding a story within, worth telling. He was able to take a novice, me, and provide an on-going writing process. I’m thrilled I continue to work with a sense of purpose and urgency.

In the past I had taken many writing courses and seminars. Most emphasized the elements which comprised a great story, but none provided a
Gwyn Huff
Jan 03, 2012 Gwyn Huff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring and discouraged writers
Recommended to Gwyn by: Several authors
Shelves: writing-books
I pull this book out everytime I need to get going writing. It's not that I have writers' block but have writers' doubt. We have to pay our "dues"; have thick skin; and be open to critiques from anyone--and still get started on the next story. I'd write even if I never published. I'm a word smith and at heart the old fashioned story teller. So Mr. Watt is my comfort and acceleration tool until I'm pounding the keys on my own. I've read his book and the second time around actually did all the exe ...more
Michael Shreeve
These days I only read "how to write novels in 5 days or less and make 1 million dollars" for pleasure. It can be an interesting exercise to look into the mind of another writer. Just realize it is another writer. It isn't you.

I desperately wish I could have the same success as Alan (writes a novel in 90 days. A few weeks after that sells it for $500,000. Not a bad way to make a living.). But this guy is writing a book with some serious survivor bias going on.

Good tips, but there is a long lis
Elie
Jan 09, 2012 Elie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Because of this book, I actually *did* write a memoir in 90 Days. So, if you want to cheat writer's block and have your story in your head--or heart--go for it. For those of us stuck in edits, it looks like there's a sequel int he works...
Leo
Sep 21, 2011 Leo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To anyone used to reading this sort of book, Watt has a very unique and, for me, a very useful approach. If this book does not get you writing, well, maybe take up knitting? Archery? Crosswords?
Boingboing
Feb 19, 2012 Boingboing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
A very hands on writing book. Watt takes you from the beginning and holds your hand all the way through to the end. He lists engaging questions to think about for your characters, helps you to see your way through the world and gets you started with every day.

The only complaint I had was that some of the days there towards the beginning seemed rather sparse in what was done for that day and it felt like some of the exercises and prompts could have been combined to move things along a little fast
Janis Ian
May 21, 2015 Janis Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Years ago, when I asked a (pretty successful, very well known) writer what advice she had for me - just beginning to write prose - she said "Sit butt in chair. Write." Great advice, but nerve wrackingly difficult, especially if you've never written long-form fiction before.
I bought this book with some trepidation. All silly concerns - my friends would laugh at me (in fact, several who saw it on my desk rolled their eyes). It would be too "generic", eg it wouldn't address the problems I personall
Wendy
Sep 08, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book to write a rough draft of my first novel. I found it extremely helpful. The book gives you assignments each day. The first four weeks are used to explore the characters in your book and produce an outline of the novel. The outline that the author recommends is in three acts. The rest of the book asks you to work on the actual novel.

The structure of the book was very helpful, giving me ideas about the kinds of things my characters might bring to the story, reminding me about the
Christian Faith
I had been struggling with writing my novel, not because I'm not a good writer (that can be learned), but because my story was so personal it was physically hard to get it on paper. At the beginning of this book it lists reasons why you might be struggling. One of the reasons is that you feel like you might "die" if you write your book. I suddenly felt understood. My sister on the other hand didn't get it. How could you "die" from writing a book she asked. This book may not be for everyone. It i ...more
Leah
Nov 08, 2010 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Al Watt has an accessible approach to writing with "The 90-Day Novel" and his method is deeply satisfying. Watt puts you in touch with your deepest source of imagination and give you the tools and exercises to tap into that source to write your original story. Watt has reverence for the creative process and that humble approach and concise exercises related to structure allows students to write novels in 90 days!
Guinevere Thomas
Sep 16, 2013 Guinevere Thomas rated it liked it
Definitely good tips. A lot of times the author is being a bit repetitive, but I believe it is in good faith. He is constantly trying to make writers understand you must make a habit of doing certain things to achieve your first drafts quickly.

It's up to the reader to take the advice for face value or not.
LKM
Jan 12, 2015 LKM rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It had interesting exercises, but I didn't really like any of them and didn't feel half of them helped me actually move forward with the story. I didn't find them helpful at all (well, maybe one or two), and it just seems like it'll lead you to a very formulaic novel (even if at its very core every novel is formulaic, as it follows a beginning, middle and end, after all).
Also the basic tips it gives behind all the exercises and rambling are pretty obvious tips.

This might work for some people, b
Ally Bishop
Jan 09, 2012 Ally Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for any writer. It will change the way you look at your muse and blast through writer's block. Can't recommend it highly enough... And I'm not a fan of how-to books.
Arial Burnz
Jul 18, 2015 Arial Burnz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-of-writing
I cannot recommend this book enough! This is a great book to help find the heart of your characters and, therefore, your storyline. It is a MUST read for all authors - seasoned or aspiring.

Alan uses excellent methods to help tap into the subconscious, where all of our stories actually originate. Writer's block is frequently caused by our own conscious mind arguing with our subconscious mind. When that happens, the subconscious closes down and refuses to share ideas...since they're being resisted
Marcella Burnard
Jun 14, 2012 Marcella Burnard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not that I'm DOING what the book says - which is writing my novel in 90 days, this book is more than worth the price of admission.
Tatra
Apr 28, 2015 Tatra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April 25-28, 2015
I've decided to actually go day by day for my latest novel, but I knew it would drive me crazy to have this one book on my list, so I skimmed it again. It really is full of good things.

August 18-22, 2013
I read this book straight through instead of doing it day by day because I found that things go better if I absorb the information before trying to apply it.

I really liked what Alan Watt had to say about creating fiction and I think I can tie it into how I already write my novel
Prity Malhotra
Sep 16, 2014 Prity Malhotra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Write a Conflicting Book with Hero & the Antagonist having Backstories,strength,weakness,hidden agendas,lies etc etc. This is the only Advice the Author gives throughout this Book apart from self-publicizing his own Book Diamond Dogs. Now that you read this above Tips,you don't hv to read this 300 pages of GIbberish.
Brittney
Dec 08, 2014 Brittney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to every single writer I come across...and anyone that wants to write!! Alan Watt's book gave me daily inspiration which motivated me through two novels...and now his book is motivating and pushing me through my third. Thank God for this book!!
Robin Puelma
Mar 20, 2016 Robin Puelma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FAVORITE book on writing a novel. Learning how to hold your story loosely; allow yourself to write poorly; and crank out the first draft as fast as you can has helped me write better first drafts and ultimately better novels. Alan Watt, I am a fan!
Susannah Gautier
I love this book. It spoke to me in a way no other writing book has before. I use it all the time- though not necessarily the way the author intended. I generally use the questions in the back to ask your characters. By the time I've answered those in their POV, I know my characters and their motivations very well- in fact, I often find plot twists and ideas that arise from answering those questions. The author, Mr Watt has a very positive, inspiring attitude that comes through the pages. It's a ...more
A. Catherine Noon
Jan 14, 2016 A. Catherine Noon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This is a fantastic book for writers. His approach is very similar to mine, in that it's not based on an outline but on questions you ask yourself and your characters.

Highly recommended.
"Couldn't Have Done it without Alan Watt and the 90 Day Novel!" 2 17 Feb 19, 2012 09:54AM
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Description & Setting
  • 500 Ways to Be a Better Writer
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
7201085
Alan Watt is a novelist, screenwriter and playwright. His bestselling novel Diamond Dogs (Little, Brown), won numerous awards including France’s 2004 Prix Printemps (best foreign novel). He recently adapted the book for French film company, Quad, and it is soon to be a feature film. His book, The 90-Day Novel, is one of the top-selling books on writing. He's also the author of The 90-Day Rewrite a ...more
More about Alan Watt...

“Our willingness to write truthfully brings the story to life.” 10 likes
“There is a ruthlessness to the creative act. It often involves a betrayal of the status quo.” 9 likes