Where Love Goes

Where Love Goes

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  29 reviews
From the author of To Die For comes this poignant, stirring, and occasionally hilarious story of a woman's attempt to remake her life after a searing divorce. Maynard's novel captures love as one approaches middle age in contemporary America.
Published April 27th 1993 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Where Love Goes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Love Goes

Jackie
Claire is pushing forty, raising two teenagers and longs for romance and companionship. She is an extremely unlikable character. While she intends to make life perfect for her children, she has deep resentment of her ex-husband and an unhealthy obsession with a man who is so fake it's hard to believe she can't see it. Then she meets the "Man of her Dreams", a single father trying to raise his 8 year old daughter after her mother virtually abandons them. Their sexual passion is ridiculous teen ag...more
Lynetta
The "Good Book"

This is my first Joyce Maynard book. I'm not eager to pick up another Maynard book nor am I unforgiving enough to think that all her books have been written along the same vein. It is more the case that this was an exhausting read that necessitates recovery time. The reader is assaulted by a persistent hopelessness that permeates the life of Claire, a 39 year old divorcee and mother of two. Claire's longings for requited love is familiar and universal; yet for Claire, the things h...more
Christa Sgobba
This was a strange book--I felt like parts of it really held my interest, but others just completely dragged.

I didn't really connect with any of the characters, but I appreciated how realistically the author portrayed the merging of families. When Claire fell in love with Tim, she was ready to welcome his young daughter with open arms. But Ursula, the daughter, was just not an easy kid. The author made us sympathize with Ursula--I definitely felt bad that she was so awkward--but at the same tim...more
Arianna
I purchased this book when I was at CCY in 1998, and read it then. I remember enjoying it, but I couldn't recall a thing about it when I came across the book on my shelves the other day. So I decided to reread it, figuring it'd be a quick read. It wasn't as quick as I thought - it's a pretty dense book - but I enjoyed it the second time around, as well. I just am frustrated that I felt like I was reading it for the first time! But what I really enjoyed were all the little snippets of pop culture...more
Dianne
This was recommended in THE WEEK, and felt like a promising addition to my 'love' series (The History of Love, The Map of Love, etc). In the end, most felt exaggerated and unlikely and sad. A LOL surprise at book's end was the music playlist of "lost love" songs the author listened to while writing - so much fun I almost liked the book!
Stephanie
I loved the character development in this book. I thought the first 2/3 were a bit melodramatic, and the last 1/3 went WAY to quickly, but overall, I enjoyed the story and REALLY wanted to know what happened to the characters.
Charmayne
I honestly don’t remember picking up this novel, but I’m making my way through the unread books on my shelves. That said, I didn’t really enjoy this book. The main character was annoying and I didn’t feel sympathy for her in her struggle to find love. While I appreciate the issues she raises about how complex love can be when you’re carrying the baggage of previous relationships (children, intimacy, emotional scarring, etc.), there is just a bit too much drama, making the storyline seem implausi...more
Drkmac
This was a major downer. I was certainly not looking for a divorce before reading it, but after, I would have to be desperate!
Diane
Just give me a Joyce Marnard novel and I'm a happy camper. This story is no exception to that rule.

It's a story about divorced adults with children and how hard it can be to "blend" families. Do the children have a say in whom a parent might be attracted to? Does another adult have a say in how another family works or doesn't work? How do you intertwine two separate families into one? Is it worth it? What are the consequences for the children? What are the consequences for the adults? Once agai...more
Marcy Camano
Not my fave of hers...kind of dragged.
Amy
I'm really liking Joyce Maynard lately but this one fell a little flat for me. There was one point while reading this I thought to myself "I don't like any of the characters in this novel!" which makes it hard to keep going. It could've been better but it could've been worse as well.
Deanne
This book is like reading a train wreck. The people in it are so dysfunctional. But, like a train wreck, you have to keep looking. So it kept me going and I wanted to know what happens to them all in the end. The author writes some of the characters as so hard to like but, again, you keep going. I recommend it.
Jan
An engrossing, thought provoking story about a woman's brave attempt to remake her life after a divorce. The characters are definitely flawed and can make you cringe as well as smile. Can two families be blended without incident or escape unscathed? Is there a balance between domesticity and sexuality.
Khris Sellin
For anyone who has been single, dating, married, separated, divorced, dating someone w/bratty kids, being that someone w/bratty kids, trying to blend two families w/bratty kids, this book just hits the mark on so many levels. Funny at times and heartbreaking at others.
Peggy
This was a good book about love, families and blending both together. The two main characters try to have a relationship, while the 3 children between them do as much as they can to break them up. Love does not win in the end.
Emily
There aren't adjectives to describe how beautiful this book is. The premise is a simple concept, but it's exemplified in her remarkable writing. Maynard has more understanding of human emotion than any other work I have read.
Ellie Syverud
so-so. I didnt really relate to the main character Claire or her choice of a love partner Tim and his emotionally damanged daughter Ursula, but it was an engaging story of trying to find love after divorce.
Mary Ann
I loved this book--great characters. I could relate to a lot of the things about dating that Maynard writes about here. The child, Ursula, is one of the most annoying people I have read about in a book.
Jen
I found a cheap copy of this at a used book store and since Joyce Maynard wrote The Usual Rules, one of my favorite books, I decided to give this one a try. It didn't disappoint.
Amy
I thought about giving this book 4 stars, but it wasn't quite there... really should be 3 1/2 stars but that's not an option. I will read another book by Joyce Maynard.
Della Scott
Aug 22, 2012 Della Scott marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lindsay Murphy
I really loved this book; great characters and I really got caught up in the plot. You never knew what was going to happen next.
Angela Galli richardson
Not one likeable character in the mix...hard to care when bad characters make bad choices with bad consequences. Yuck.
Pauline
Well written and characters very well portrayed. I will definitely try another of her books.
Lisa Lesyshen
This is definitely not as good as Labor Day. A quick read that was mind candy.
V
Could not even finish the book. it read like an adult whining about their divorced life.
Heather
I never wanted to be a single parent, but even more so after reading this book.
Dianne
Like this author...good book.
Sara
sad, devastating, loved it.
  • Tyranny
  • Me and Mr. Booker
  • Next to Normal
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • just_a_girl
  • Black & White
  • Niagara Falls All Over Again
  • Fiona Range
  • Iris And Ruby
  • Crash Diet
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Precious
  • A Walk on the Wild Side
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • After the Fall
  • Navidad & Matanza
  • Criminals
  • Adore: A Novella
Joyce Maynard first came to national attention with the publication of her New York Times cover story “An Eighteen-Year-Old Looks Back on Life” in 1973, when she was a freshman at Yale. Since then, she has been a reporter and columnist for The New York Times, a syndicated newspaper columnist whose “Domestic Affairs” column appeared in more than fifty papers nationwide, a regular contributor to NPR...more
More about Joyce Maynard...
Labor Day The Good Daughters After Her The Usual Rules At Home in the World