Start by marking “Where Love Goes” as Want to Read:
Where Love Goes

Where Love Goes

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  282 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From the author of To Die For comes this poignant, stirring, and occasionally hilarious story of a woman's attempt to remake her life after a searing divorce. Maynard's novel captures love as one approaches middle age in contemporary America.
Published April 27th 1993 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Where Love Goes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Love Goes

Jackie
Aug 23, 2011 Jackie rated it did not like it
Claire is pushing forty, raising two teenagers and longs for romance and companionship. She is an extremely unlikable character. While she intends to make life perfect for her children, she has deep resentment of her ex-husband and an unhealthy obsession with a man who is so fake it's hard to believe she can't see it. Then she meets the "Man of her Dreams", a single father trying to raise his 8 year old daughter after her mother virtually abandons them. Their sexual passion is ridiculous teen ag ...more
Snickerdoodle
Mar 20, 2015 Snickerdoodle rated it really liked it
Initially, and periodically, this book seemed like it wanted to go the way of a romantic novel, which is NOT what I'm looking for in a Joyce Maynard novel. I want some depth, something worth thinking about. These characters were so unlikeable, irritating, unrealistic, unreasonable, thoughtless, self centered. I spent a great deal of time being angry with these characters from the very beginning. Who behaves that way?!

Ah, but wait. People do. Too many people do. Maybe we all do to some extent bu
Molly
Jul 10, 2015 Molly added it
Just the opposite of the previous book. I liked the characters, but I thought the writing was sloppy and unliterary. I did think the characters were very interesting people, and convincing as people, although their actions were truly bizarre. Do people really do this kind of stuff, and I am living in a delusional cloud of normalcy?
Jul 05, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lynetta
The "Good Book"

This is my first Joyce Maynard book. I'm not eager to pick up another Maynard book nor am I unforgiving enough to think that all her books have been written along the same vein. It is more the case that this was an exhausting read that necessitates recovery time. The reader is assaulted by a persistent hopelessness that permeates the life of Claire, a 39 year old divorcee and mother of two. Claire's longings for requited love is familiar and universal; yet for Claire, the things h
Leeann
Aug 06, 2015 Leeann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I enjoy Joyce Maynard's writing style. She pulls me into her characters pretty quickly and I am interested to see what they do and why. Sometimes, though, she just doesn't tell me OR show me, and I left hanging, wondering what happened at a fairly pivotal moment. Later on, she will touch on it, almost as an aside, and I found that frustrating.

This book was interesting to me yet slightly brutal. Almost cynical.. don't look for happy endings and neat bows here, although cynics and realists everywh
Christa
Dec 02, 2013 Christa rated it liked it
This was a strange book--I felt like parts of it really held my interest, but others just completely dragged.

I didn't really connect with any of the characters, but I appreciated how realistically the author portrayed the merging of families. When Claire fell in love with Tim, she was ready to welcome his young daughter with open arms. But Ursula, the daughter, was just not an easy kid. The author made us sympathize with Ursula--I definitely felt bad that she was so awkward--but at the same tim
Barbara Frank
May 25, 2016 Barbara Frank rated it it was ok
I doubt I'll read any more of Maynard's books. Claire, a divorced Mom, makes more bad decisions than I can even count. She wants a man in her life and thinks she finds the right one but doesn't know how to begin to integrate him into her family. So instead she does psycho things like sneaks off to his apt in the middle of the night after her kids have gone to sleep-she does this every night. Felt no empathy for any of the characters except maybe her poor kids.
Mallory
Sep 27, 2015 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I felt for every one of the characters. One of the great things Joyce does in this novel is present you with several different points of view. While the reader mainly hears from Claire, they also get to see what the other characters are going through firsthand, which I love. One minute you absolutely hate one character, but then you see their side, and you sympathize with them. These characters all really came alive for me, and I was deeply moved by this book.
Arianna
May 17, 2010 Arianna rated it liked it
I purchased this book when I was at CCY in 1998, and read it then. I remember enjoying it, but I couldn't recall a thing about it when I came across the book on my shelves the other day. So I decided to reread it, figuring it'd be a quick read. It wasn't as quick as I thought - it's a pretty dense book - but I enjoyed it the second time around, as well. I just am frustrated that I felt like I was reading it for the first time! But what I really enjoyed were all the little snippets of pop culture ...more
Dianne
Jul 22, 2014 Dianne rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, love
This was recommended in THE WEEK, and felt like a promising addition to my 'love' series (The History of Love, The Map of Love, etc). In the end, most felt exaggerated and unlikely and sad. A LOL surprise at book's end was the music playlist of "lost love" songs the author listened to while writing - so much fun I almost liked the book!
Stephanie
Jun 21, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I loved the character development in this book. I thought the first 2/3 were a bit melodramatic, and the last 1/3 went WAY to quickly, but overall, I enjoyed the story and REALLY wanted to know what happened to the characters.
Charmayne
Jul 18, 2013 Charmayne rated it it was ok
I honestly don’t remember picking up this novel, but I’m making my way through the unread books on my shelves. That said, I didn’t really enjoy this book. The main character was annoying and I didn’t feel sympathy for her in her struggle to find love. While I appreciate the issues she raises about how complex love can be when you’re carrying the baggage of previous relationships (children, intimacy, emotional scarring, etc.), there is just a bit too much drama, making the storyline seem implausi ...more
Jmolentin
Read it a few years ago, and liked it. The author is brave and to be commended for including an ugly, stupid, unlikable young girl.
Drkmac
May 27, 2014 Drkmac rated it it was ok
This was a major downer. I was certainly not looking for a divorce before reading it, but after, I would have to be desperate!
Diane
Dec 31, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
Just give me a Joyce Marnard novel and I'm a happy camper. This story is no exception to that rule.

It's a story about divorced adults with children and how hard it can be to "blend" families. Do the children have a say in whom a parent might be attracted to? Does another adult have a say in how another family works or doesn't work? How do you intertwine two separate families into one? Is it worth it? What are the consequences for the children? What are the consequences for the adults? Once agai
Marcy
Feb 06, 2014 Marcy rated it liked it
Not my fave of hers...kind of dragged.
Daphne
Apr 08, 2016 Daphne rated it liked it
Okay, but not great. The book was a little hard to read. Glad it is over.
Jan 13, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
I'm really liking Joyce Maynard lately but this one fell a little flat for me. There was one point while reading this I thought to myself "I don't like any of the characters in this novel!" which makes it hard to keep going. It could've been better but it could've been worse as well.
Deanne
Dec 30, 2010 Deanne rated it really liked it
This book is like reading a train wreck. The people in it are so dysfunctional. But, like a train wreck, you have to keep looking. So it kept me going and I wanted to know what happens to them all in the end. The author writes some of the characters as so hard to like but, again, you keep going. I recommend it.
Jan
Jan 21, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing, thought provoking story about a woman's brave attempt to remake her life after a divorce. The characters are definitely flawed and can make you cringe as well as smile. Can two families be blended without incident or escape unscathed? Is there a balance between domesticity and sexuality.
Khris Sellin
Feb 27, 2011 Khris Sellin rated it really liked it
For anyone who has been single, dating, married, separated, divorced, dating someone w/bratty kids, being that someone w/bratty kids, trying to blend two families w/bratty kids, this book just hits the mark on so many levels. Funny at times and heartbreaking at others.
Peggy
Oct 12, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it
This was a good book about love, families and blending both together. The two main characters try to have a relationship, while the 3 children between them do as much as they can to break them up. Love does not win in the end.
Emily
Jan 31, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
There aren't adjectives to describe how beautiful this book is. The premise is a simple concept, but it's exemplified in her remarkable writing. Maynard has more understanding of human emotion than any other work I have read.
Ellie Syverud
Sep 16, 2012 Ellie Syverud rated it liked it
so-so. I didnt really relate to the main character Claire or her choice of a love partner Tim and his emotionally damanged daughter Ursula, but it was an engaging story of trying to find love after divorce.
Mary Ann
Jun 24, 2009 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
I loved this book--great characters. I could relate to a lot of the things about dating that Maynard writes about here. The child, Ursula, is one of the most annoying people I have read about in a book.
Jen
Mar 20, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
I found a cheap copy of this at a used book store and since Joyce Maynard wrote The Usual Rules, one of my favorite books, I decided to give this one a try. It didn't disappoint.
Jun 22, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I thought about giving this book 4 stars, but it wasn't quite there... really should be 3 1/2 stars but that's not an option. I will read another book by Joyce Maynard.
Della Scott
Aug 22, 2012 Della Scott marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lindsay Murphy
Nov 22, 2012 Lindsay Murphy rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book; great characters and I really got caught up in the plot. You never knew what was going to happen next.
  • Sometimes You See It Coming
  • Pink Samurai: Love, Marriage & Sex in Contemporary Japan
  • The Write Man for Her
  • Picturing Will
  • The Hills at Home: A Novel
  • First Daughter (Jack McClure, #1)
  • The Return of Patrick O'Rourke (Jamesville, #3)
Joyce Maynard first came to national attention with the publication of her New York Times cover story “An Eighteen-Year-Old Looks Back on Life” in 1973, when she was a freshman at Yale. Since then, she has been a reporter and columnist for The New York Times, a syndicated newspaper columnist whose “Domestic Affairs” column appeared in more than fifty papers nationwide, a regular contributor to NPR ...more
More about Joyce Maynard...