Start by marking “Soccer Halfback” as Want to Read:
Soccer Halfback

Soccer Halfback

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Jabber Morris has had his heart set on playing soccer, but his family is pressuring him to play football, a sport his father played and loved before he died. A tough situation is made even more difficult when suspicion of stealing a wallet falls on Jabber's shoulders. Now he has to tell his uncle that he's decided to play soccer once and for all -- and convince his brother ...more
Published October 30th 1985 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Soccer Halfback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soccer Halfback

Noah
soccer half back is about a boy who can't decide which sport he wants to end up playing. He is tied between football and soccer and he doesn't know what he is going to keep on playing throughout High school and college. He decides to play soccer because he realizes that he is a natural and he has the most fun playing it.
I can connect this book to a lot of athletes across the world who might be moving on to college and don't know weather to try really hard to get a scholarship in soccer but enj
Sean Castellanos
Aug 28, 2015 Sean Castellanos rated it it was amazing
Soccer halfback is a book about a kid named jabber that plays soccer but his family doesn't like that idea because there father was a big football star and he would have wanted jabber to follow in his footsteps his family tries to persuade him to play football but his heart his set on soccer and he's good at it later in the book jabber starts too fell guilty because his family got in his head about him playing football it really makes him sad to think about his dad dying in a car crash so the ne ...more
Gabriel Serra
In this book entitled “Soccer Half Back” written by Matt Cristopher a boy named jabber is in a conflict of chusing to play soccer instead of football. His mom wants jabber to play football because there dad played professional football and his brother also plays football. On the other hand the only person in his family that supports his choices of playing soccer is his sister. Also jabber’s uncle wants him to play football. But towards the end of the story his family finally supports his choice ...more
Marawan Super
Jan 18, 2013 Marawan Super rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hushduo
osdiojsdoijoichsoud dij[jdk dkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ...more
Alexis Palma
May 29, 2014 Alexis Palma rated it liked it
This is a great book if you are one of those people who like to read about sports and making decisions. Soccer halfback is a book about a middle school teen who is having trouble deciding which sport to pick either football or soccer. All of his family wants him to play the sport that his father played when he was in college but also wants to play soccer the sport that he is naturally giften with.
Youraj 11-12
Dec 13, 2011 Youraj 11-12 rated it really liked it
1 nice book about a kid who struggles first playing soccer then becomes the best

2 intersting
3 soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Sports Fiction, good for the grades 3+.
Nick Birdsall
Jun 02, 2014 Nick Birdsall rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good book
Ethan Hickman
Jun 27, 2015 Ethan Hickman rated it liked it
Ajay Bhandari
name; AJAY BHANDARI
topic; SOCCER HALFBOOK

jabber morris is had a heart set on playing soocer.
and his family want him to paly a soccer.
his father is a football player he love to watch a football and he loved to paly soocer before he dead.
a tough sistuation is made even more difficult thing when suspicion of stealing a wallet falls on a solders.
i recommend to people who want to play make a soccer player
Sean Gresham
This is a great read for 3rd-5th grade soccer lovers. It touches upon issues that I could relate to like football vs. soccer or any other sport for that matter. It discusses personal tragedy as Jabber's father died while Jabber was still a child. This could be a special book for a student going through the loss of a parent or if their parent does not support their hobby.
Stephen
Jan 28, 2011 Stephen rated it liked it
I read this because I'm working on a book that includes a soccer player who switches to football in high school. This book was shallower than I'd hoped but did include some great play by play descriptions of soccer games and was a very quick read. I'm guessing that there are some 6th, 7th and 8 grade boys who are reluctant readers that might enjoy this.
Hugocnca
Nov 20, 2008 Hugocnca rated it it was amazing
The book Soccer Halfback is about how Jabber is being pressured to play football like all his family. The only one that wants him to play is his sister. His uncle, his brother, his dad played football throughout thier life. Now he is pressured through all his first year of playing soccer. Will this cange or will it stay the stame.
124chris
Mar 14, 2013 124chris rated it really liked it
It was a very good book with plenty of soccer game play. There was an interesting story line a a high schooler faces the disapproval of all of him playing soccer after his father died playing pro football in a car acciedent. He has to face multiple hard decisions but ends up making the right ones.
Josie
Jan 12, 2010 Josie rated it really liked it
This book is about a boy who loves to play soccor. But, will he decide to join football instead? His brother tries to convince him to join football. Will he listen to his brother or play the game he loves to play? Find out!
Jackon
Sep 24, 2012 Jackon rated it really liked it
It was about a kid in middle school and it was his first year playing soccer. All of his family wanted him to play football because his Dad played football at Notre Dame. I liked the book because I like soccer.
Amy Drew
Feb 04, 2010 Amy Drew rated it it was ok
haha! I read ALL of matt christopher's books when I was in elementary school, and I have to say, I kind of blame him for all the trite, hackneyed plots and ridiculous melodrama of my early writing.
Chris
Nov 18, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
i havent read this book sence 5th grade so it kind of hard to remember but I still like it when i read it.
Katie
Sep 18, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
This was a good book, but a little too much soccer. The author was great at describing setting, though.
Armand
May 26, 2010 Armand added it
I have learned that soccer is a very challanging sport and obeying the rules can be difficult.
Willow
Oct 23, 2008 Willow rated it it was ok
I really, really like soccer. That's why I read this book. This book was not very good though.
Julia
Nov 04, 2008 Julia rated it liked it
It was ok i read it back in the fourth grade but the writing wasn't so spectacular
Lindsay
Jan 14, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. I think boys and girls who like sports should read it!
Austin Merrill
Mar 17, 2009 Austin Merrill marked it as to-read
Want to read this book beacause it looks really cool and i like soccer
Az7 alazawy
Feb 20, 2013 Az7 alazawy rated it really liked it
i thing the book so good;;;;;;the book has a good soccer players
James
Nov 25, 2009 James added it
took me a day and a few more hours hahaha
Colshy
Jan 22, 2008 Colshy rated it it was amazing
Yesssss :) How could I not love this
Austin
Jul 24, 2009 Austin added it
this book is very good
Miranda
May 07, 2009 Miranda marked it as to-read
i hope this book will be good
Class of 2015: Soccer Halfback 1 3 Apr 27, 2015 12:10AM
  • Still More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • Torres: El Niño: My Story
  • Should Have Got Off at Sydney Parade
  • Helen Keller
  • Dateline: Troy
  • The Summer of Riley
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Magic School Bus Takes A Dive: A Book About Coral Reefs
  • 1-2-3: a Child's First Counting Book
  • Help! I'm Trapped in My Gym Teacher's Body
  • Pinch Hit
  • The Case of the Mummy Mystery (Jigsaw Jones, #6)
  • Cousins
  • Stealing Thunder
  • S O R Losers
  • What the Witch Left
  • Water Sky
  • Playing for Keeps
Matt Christopher is the writer young readers turn to when they're looking for fast-paced, action-packed sports novels. He is the best-selling author of more than one hundred sports books for young readers.

Matt Christopher is America's bestselling sports writer for children, with more than 100 books and sales approaching six million copies. In 1992, Matt Christopher talked about being a children's
More about Matt Christopher...