Soccer Halfback

Soccer Halfback

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Jabber Morris has had his heart set on playing soccer, but his family is pressuring him to play football, a sport his father played and loved before he died. A tough situation is made even more difficult when suspicion of stealing a wallet falls on Jabber's shoulders. Now he has to tell his uncle that he's decided to play soccer once and for all -- and convince his brother...more
Published October 30th 1985 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Soccer Halfback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soccer Halfback

Noah
soccer half back is about a boy who can't decide which sport he wants to end up playing. He is tied between football and soccer and he doesn't know what he is going to keep on playing throughout High school and college. He decides to play soccer because he realizes that he is a natural and he has the most fun playing it.
I can connect this book to a lot of athletes across the world who might be moving on to college and don't know weather to try really hard to get a scholarship in soccer but enj...more
Marawan Super
osdiojsdoijoichsoud dij[jdk dkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...more
Alexis Palma
This is a great book if you are one of those people who like to read about sports and making decisions. Soccer halfback is a book about a middle school teen who is having trouble deciding which sport to pick either football or soccer. All of his family wants him to play the sport that his father played when he was in college but also wants to play soccer the sport that he is naturally giften with.
Youraj 11-12
1 nice book about a kid who struggles first playing soccer then becomes the best

2 intersting
3 soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...more
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Sports Fiction, good for the grades 3+.
Nick Birdsall
I thought it was a good book
Ajay Bhandari
name; AJAY BHANDARI
topic; SOCCER HALFBOOK

jabber morris is had a heart set on playing soocer.
and his family want him to paly a soccer.
his father is a football player he love to watch a football and he loved to paly soocer before he dead.
a tough sistuation is made even more difficult thing when suspicion of stealing a wallet falls on a solders.
i recommend to people who want to play make a soccer player
Sean Gresham
This is a great read for 3rd-5th grade soccer lovers. It touches upon issues that I could relate to like football vs. soccer or any other sport for that matter. It discusses personal tragedy as Jabber's father died while Jabber was still a child. This could be a special book for a student going through the loss of a parent or if their parent does not support their hobby.
Stephen
I read this because I'm working on a book that includes a soccer player who switches to football in high school. This book was shallower than I'd hoped but did include some great play by play descriptions of soccer games and was a very quick read. I'm guessing that there are some 6th, 7th and 8 grade boys who are reluctant readers that might enjoy this.
Hugocnca
The book Soccer Halfback is about how Jabber is being pressured to play football like all his family. The only one that wants him to play is his sister. His uncle, his brother, his dad played football throughout thier life. Now he is pressured through all his first year of playing soccer. Will this cange or will it stay the stame.
124chris
It was a very good book with plenty of soccer game play. There was an interesting story line a a high schooler faces the disapproval of all of him playing soccer after his father died playing pro football in a car acciedent. He has to face multiple hard decisions but ends up making the right ones.
Josie
This book is about a boy who loves to play soccor. But, will he decide to join football instead? His brother tries to convince him to join football. Will he listen to his brother or play the game he loves to play? Find out!
Jackon
It was about a kid in middle school and it was his first year playing soccer. All of his family wanted him to play football because his Dad played football at Notre Dame. I liked the book because I like soccer.
Amy Drew
haha! I read ALL of matt christopher's books when I was in elementary school, and I have to say, I kind of blame him for all the trite, hackneyed plots and ridiculous melodrama of my early writing.
Chris
i havent read this book sence 5th grade so it kind of hard to remember but I still like it when i read it.
Katie
This was a good book, but a little too much soccer. The author was great at describing setting, though.
Armand
May 26, 2010 Armand added it
I have learned that soccer is a very challanging sport and obeying the rules can be difficult.
Willow
I really, really like soccer. That's why I read this book. This book was not very good though.
Julia
It was ok i read it back in the fourth grade but the writing wasn't so spectacular
Lindsay
This book was pretty good. I think boys and girls who like sports should read it!
Austin Merrill
Mar 17, 2009 Austin Merrill marked it as to-read
Want to read this book beacause it looks really cool and i like soccer
Az7 alazawy
i thing the book so good;;;;;;the book has a good soccer players
James
Nov 25, 2009 James added it
took me a day and a few more hours hahaha
Colshy
Yesssss :) How could I not love this
Austin
Jul 24, 2009 Austin added it
this book is very good
Miranda
May 07, 2009 Miranda marked it as to-read
i hope this book will be good
Aaron
Jan 18, 2010 Aaron added it
cool
Glody
Glody marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Matt Christopher is the writer young readers turn to when they're looking for fast-paced, action-packed sports novels. He is the best-selling author of more than one hundred sports books for young readers.

Matt Christopher is America's bestselling sports writer for children, with more than 100 books and sales approaching six million copies. In 1992, Matt Christopher talked about being a children's...more
More about Matt Christopher...
The Kid Who Only Hit Homers Return of the Home Run Kid Catcher with a Glass Arm Tough to Tackle Ice Magic