Start by marking “Catseye” as Want to Read:
Catseye

Catseye (Dipple #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,021 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The big cat cried "danger!" Troy Horan heard it with his mind just as he had heard the fox's warning and the kinkajou's. He didn't understand how he could communicate with the animals or why they were contacting him. But from the moment he began work at Kyger's pet emporium on Korwar he was enmeshed in a perilous intrigue... an intrigue that would leave more than one man d ...more
Published January 1st 1987 by Puffin Books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Catseye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catseye

Raj
Troy Horan is a Dippleman, a refugee living in a restricted area on a planet after his own world was "appropriated" as a military base during an interstellar war. He gets a short contract working with a luxury pet shop and finds himself slowly dragged into a murky web of plots and subterfuge in which imported Terran animals seem to play a central role.

I felt that this was quite sophisticated for a children's book. The world building was quite good, with a lot of depth and the characters were all
Andrea
Norton's classic outsider story. Norton's early books are almost completely romance-free and sex-free - the main characters never show any sign of interest, and there's only the slightest hints that anyone ever does (usually the vaguest allusions to pleasure girls). This one, however, is also known as "the one with the gay subtext". There's no definite romance, but you can certainly see Troy/Rerne following many of the standard romance beats - the meet cute, the getting to know, the estrangement ...more
B. Zedan
Feb 03, 2015 B. Zedan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who'd like a twist on the mid-century "space cadet" tale
Shelves: real-book
Day labourer Troy Horan lucks into a job at an exotic pet shop that caters to the rich and powerful. Jumping at the chance to escape the ghetto of non-citizens and off-world immigrants called the Dipple, he is quickly caught up in a tangled scheme that centers around the mental powers of imported Terran pets.

When Troy finds the paths of communication open between him and the animals, he must navigate between safety, lost hopes of his war-torn home world and the creeping ancient horrors that lay
Nell
One of my favourite Andre Norton books. It's more what it doesn't tell you than what it does so the story lodges in your subconcious.
Mary Catelli
Troy Horan lives in the Dipple, where the refugees of the war were dumped -- and left when the peace treaty signed away their worlds. His father had enlisted in the war, and his mother died when the Big Cough struck. Troy is still trying to eke out a living as casual labor, rather than sign a contract that lets him be shipped off in cold sleep, or join the Thieves' Guild.

Luck strikes. His rural background lets him get a job at Kyger's an animal store catering, like so many businesses on this wor
Valerie
Most people remember their 1st Norton Book--this was mine. My mother gave me a different edition, saying I might like it.

As a teenager, I didn't question the police state nature of the luxury planet of Korwar--now I'm more sensitized to how little freedom ANY of the people have. The escape to the Wilds by Troy Horan et cie is arguably the only chance any of them have to achieve freedom--and that's iffy, at best.

I should note something general about Norton--aside from Earth and the Witch World, s
Morris Nelms
Old school Sci Fi, originally published in 1961. Andre Norton writes with the lightest touch, and that is evident here. Unpretentious, fun, unique, and charming are the first adjectives that come to mind.
The ending was a bit pat, but the section from pages 120-200 was excellent. The story centers on human/animal communication, which of course also shows up in The Beast Master, a 1959 novel by Norton.
I should also add that anyone who loves animals will probably enjoy this.
If we could talk to ou
Christopher Bunn
I first started reading Andre Norton's science fiction back when I was in junior high. I loved how she managed to turn space into the Wild West. Her writing, to be honest, isn't dense, deep literary stuff, but that's alright. Sometimes all I need is a quick, airy read, and Norton does that perfectly. She reminds me of Louis L'Amour in a lot of ways.

Catseye is one of my favorites from Norton's canon. Classic underdog, odd companions, quest. What's not to like? I just wish the typical Norton paper
Jay Van emmenis
Andre Norton never disappoints, loved the connection between animals and human, have you noticed how there nearly always a cat type animal in her stories? As I am also a cat lover myself I love that they're included in her stories. My first Andre Norton was Year of the Unicorn I was hooked from then on, I will always read and re read Norton books, they're so interesting and they never date, Andre Norton was a Visionary
Brendan
Future fantasy more than science-fiction, Norton brings an embarrassing world of telepathy between a man and animals to the table. Contemplation on caste systems and the human capacity for objectification and preserving dominance over other species save this from being overwhelmingly insipid but Norton's obvious enjoyment of storytelling can overcome the talking cats and simple plot twists. Charming in an old fashioned way.
Keith
I read this engaging novel when I was a teenager in the 60's. It is an interesting story about a poor young man who gets a 'good' temporary job in a pet shop. During the stories development he discovers some of the animals are not just "pets". He is able to contact the minds of the animals. Deep trouble comes his way as a result.
Andrea
"Catseye" is a book which I will re-read every couple of years, falling completely in with the strange, almost alien voice Norton uses in this book. A complex galaxy is effortlessly sketched around the vividly proud loneliness of the main character. It's a short, almost eerie story and a great introduction to Norton's worlds.
Doris
Like many of Norton's space fantasies, we have a young orphan displaced by war, who is relegated to what amounts to the ghetto, with little hope of breaking free.

One of the powerful things I always appreciated about Norton was that her downtrodden were all species and colors, having in common not skin but condition.
Caryn Block
This was my first favorite book. I loved the idea of a man working together with animals and having a psychic connection. I still keep a copy in my library after reading it in high school.
Caitlyn
This story had potential but ended at a weird point; it was like just when the book was starting, it stopped.
I feel like it deserved to be fleshed out far more than it was.
Kristin
Good world building, but it moved a bit slow in some places. It was very good for a short plane ride though, kept my attention even through some turbulence.
Another of my real favourites from my childhood. talking to animals and science fiction, and I never noticed that there were no female characters at all!
Jeannie
I quite liked this book, though I started reading it a few months ago and only just finished it. I liked the premise and it was an interesting book.
Zigzag
I have a diary entry being so excited about reading this book, but sadly I can hardly recall it now. I must re-read it someday soon.
Timnah
This was the first adult SF book I ever read. I really don't remember how well it is written, but the images of the story still linger.
SarahBeth
I love this book. It's one of my favorite Andre Norton novels. This is the umpteenth re-read.
Donna
First science fiction book I ever read, at the age of 11 - changed my world!
Bluestarart Race
My favorite book of all time!
bluetyson
isbn,original
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 01, 2015
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1)
  • Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen (Paratime Police)
  • Virgin Planet
  • Godspeed
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Paradox Alley (Skyway, #3)
  • The People: No Different Flesh (The People)
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • The Road to Corlay
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Wolfling
  • Players Of Null-a
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • The Sorceress of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #3)
  • Michaelmas
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Dipple (5 books)
  • Night of Masks (Dipple, #2)
  • Judgment on Janus (Janus, #1)
  • Forerunner Foray
  • Masks of the Outcasts
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)