Start by marking “Legend in Green Velvet” as Want to Read:
Legend in Green Velvet

Legend in Green Velvet

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  2,021 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Scotland is Susan's passion and obsession—and the opportunity to join a Highland dig is a dream come true for the young archaeology student. But then a sinister stranger slips Susan a cryptic message and is later found viciously slain. A mysterious peril has emerged from the mists to haunt Susan, sending her running for her life in the company of handsome, unconventional l ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Legend in Green Velvet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legend in Green Velvet

Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

After coming off a major book slump of 3 library books that became "did-not-finish"-ers, I decided to go back and re-read an oldie from my Elizabeth Peters collection. Sure glad I did, since this offering was just the kind of light-hearted escapism I needed.

Peters knows how to craft an irreverent, campy romp of a novel, and this one is no exception. There's Scottish history aplenty, sarcastic young heroines, less-than-alpha heros, villians to be avoided, and kitten
Kristina
I've read this book actually several times over the years, probably the first time when I was a teenager. Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels is one of my mother's favorite authors and her books crowded the book shelves in the living room. I have my own copies of these books now and read this one again recently. It does not hold up well to my memory of the book.

Young archaeology student Susan is in Edinburgh, Scotland for the first time in her life when she becomes embroiled in a criminal affair s
Susan
Interesting story which, unfortunately, showed its age. By this I mean the heroine was a pushover as far as men went and didn't think anything about it. At least at the beginning of the story. Toward the end she developed a backbone.

The Scottish history bits were told in such a way that even if history isn't your forte, it would be interesting. At least it was for me but I enjoy this sort of stuff.

The adventures through the Scottish landscape was with peril, but fun to listen to. And I liked th
Scott Rhee
Perhaps best known for her mystery series involving Amelia Peabody, an archaeologist/detective who solves murder mysteries in exotic locales, Elizabeth Peters has apparently written numerous stand-alone novels throughout her extensive literary career. "Legend in Green Velvet" is one of her stand-alones, and it is the first of hers that I have read. Peters has a crisp prose and a snappy flair for dialogue, and her professorial intelligence (She has a Ph.D. in Egyptology) clearly shows. While I am ...more
Samantha
I’m addicted to Elizabeth Peters and couldn’t pass up the chance to read a mystery set in Scotland. The mystery and setting were great as usual, but the main characters were not the best. Susan is a Scottish history buff who receives a message not intended for her and, as usual, it draws the bad guys’ attention. This, of course, leads to chaos for our heroine. Susan isn’t a bad heroine, she’s just… average. Nothing stood out about her personality and a lot of the time it felt like her only main ...more
Laura de Leon
I enjoy reading an Elizabeth Peters romantic adventure, and this one was no exception. I'm not sure how I managed to miss it until now!

Susan has a passion for Scottish history, (and so I learned a number of tidbits as the story advanced) and this leads to a case of mistaken identity, and gets her embroiled in a nasty affair, with bad guys trying to kill her. Luckily her wits and the resources of the guy that gets dragged into this with her are enough to keep them a step or two ahead.

Bonus points
Sharon
I've been an admirer of Elizabeth Peters' work for years, so I was delighted to find a book I hadn't yet read.

In this one, archaeology student Susan is on her way to a dig in the Central Highlands. She has a very romanticized idea of what Scotland is like, and is finding herself disappointed on numerous levels -- especially when she winds up being framed for a murder that pulls her into unwanted intrigue.

Along with her is Jamie Erskine, a young Scot who is heir to the ancestral title and wants n
Barbara
Was a big Elizabeth Peters fan many moons ago. Came across this book and did not remember reading it and it sounded interesting.

I think I did read this, but so long ago I didn't remember it. It was a fun read, easy read. Lot of Scottish history came up, which was interesting. This book hints that the Stone of Scone never actually left Scotland. That is part of the mystery here, but there is a bit more going on than meets the eye.

Enjoyable read.
Karen
Perfect escape reading. Light hearted but filled with mystery (both historic and contemporary), characters that mock their "stock figure" status, and a romance that never descends into sappiness.

The only drawback in this one? Our hero bears a resemblance to...well, I won't spoil it. But suffice it to say, that if this figure was ever a heartthrob, it was WELL before my time. I wish authors would take note of this trouble. If you compare your hero to a current pin-up or movie star, your future re
SaraJean
Part of the reason I enjoy Peters's Amelia Peabody series so much is that Amelia is such a delightful character. Susan and Jamie/James/Prince Charles lookalike are barely characters at all. The only personality traits they have are those which exist to move the story along. I kept wanting to like it because it's a murder mystery that takes place in the Scottish highlands. It turns out that the two main characters could have gotten themselves killed and not made much of a difference. If you're go ...more
Lori McD
A fun romp of a mystery though Scotland, complete with all the kitsch an American gal sold on Scotland and the Highlands could want - including a hero who looks like a member of the Royal family without his beard! (view spoiler) ...more
Kate
"It was a dream come true.

"Susan loved all things Scottish. So, when the opportunity presented itself, there was no question in her mind but that she would go on the archaeological dig in the Highlands. It was everything she could have wanted. And more. Much more.

"It was a living nightmare.

"A cryptic message slipped to Susan by a sinister soap box orator was the first puzzle. Why did he choose her? Why was he chasing her? And why, Susan had to wonder, were she and the handsome young laird Jamie
Tanya
I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I downloaded this one. I picked it because of the Semi-Charmed Kind of Life Summer Reading challenge. The category was to find a book that was in the bookstore or library. "Pick any bookshelf. Read the third book from the left on the fourth shelf from the top." Then I just checked the library to see if it was in e-format or audio and this was the pick.

I would not have picked it had it not been for the challenge. The main character was definitely
Eric
A "not bad" little romp through Scotland's Highlands and lake country without really getting a great feel for Scotland. Didn't really fall into the "bodice ripper" genre, but certainly couldn't be called great adventure, either. A fair way to spend an afternoon without getting terribly engaged - not sure why I don't term it a waste of time.
BJ Rose
An enjoyable cozy-mystery about a young American woman, Susan, who is about to take part in her first archaeological dig in Scotland. While enjoying the sights of Edinburgh, she gets caught up in some melodrama and a murder, and ends up on the run with a look-a-like of one of her favorite historical figures.

I enjoyed the history about Mary, Queen of Scots, and about Bonnie Prince Charlie, but got turned off a couple of times by Susan 'lecturing' to others about Scottish history. A little bit her
Genevieve
This isn't high literature, but it is such good fun, one of my all-time favorites when I want a light, entertaining read. I have a very battered old copy that has pages falling out of it, and I've read it so many times I've lost count. It's set in Scotland, and since moving to Scotland myself, I realise now how cheesy a lot of the Scottish brogue dialogue is, but I don't care, because the yarn is such a fun one: atmospheric, windswept, with a sweet romance in the bargain, and a plucky heroine wh ...more
Terri
I'm on an Elizabeth Peters kick because I've found them readily available to download and listen to from my local library. This one is another fun adventure. It is set in Scotland. Susan loves Scotland and is thrilled to work in a dig. She gets caught up in intrigue with Jamie who looks a lot like Bonnie Prince Charlie; to his chagrin and Susan's delight. Who wouldn't want to be on an adventure with a living embodiment of your fantasies? Cases of mistaken identity with Jamie have a few fortuitou ...more
Liora
Susan is a young archaeology student with a passion for Scottish history. She comes to Scotland to work on a dig and becomes entwined in an antiquities theft ring. She meets James, the sarcastic son of a Scottish laird, who even lives in a relic of a castle. James helps her uncover the thieves and restore the antiquities, mostly while running desperately across Scotland.

This was a fun, quick read with a fairly straightforward plot. I liked the quirky, wacky characters. James' father was hilario
Sara
I love this author. my grandma introduced me to her. so lots of nostalgia.
Lara
This one follows the formula that most of Peters' stand-alones follow--girl travels somewhere by herself, crazy things happen, girl gets chased around by bad guys and is helped out (usually reluctantly) by a sexy foreign guy. In this case, the sexy foreign guy is one Jamie Erskine, and he wears a kilt. I read this one like 5 times in high school--I dunno, that Jamie just got to me. Well, ok, I'll admit that I've read it a few times since high school as well. It's definitely not good literature, ...more
Livia Komosa
Set in Scotland...entertaining and fun. Fluff ... But dun fluff. Just makes me want to go to Scotland even more.
Julie
takes a long time to really get into the plot
Sec2000
blah plot but a bit funny
Katriena Knights
Was somewhat disappointed in this book after the Amelia Peabody books, and almost gave up on it after about chapter two. Through the first third or so, I found both the hero and heroine to be extremely annoying, and the plot setup felt very contrived. The main characters managed to become slightly less annoying, but the plot still felt contrived, and some elements were really over the top. The fact that the big "plot" involved a trite and overly used element of Scottish history didn't help.
Jane
I listened to this on a road trip. I adored the Scottish setting, and, like the archeology student heroine, I am a sucker for Scottish history. Peters plots deftly, but the somewhat clunky prose and awkward weaving in of descriptions of the characters' appearance tells you this is one of Peters' earlier books. It lacks the mastery of her delightful Amelia Peabody series. Still, it's a fun read if you're an Elizabeth Peters fan.
Gail
It was a fun romp through the highlands with a heroine who's given a clue to a conspiracy by mistake, and winds up being chased through the highlands with a hero who looks like--it's hinted but never said outright--a handsome member of the royal family--the crown prince, even. Which, given the date this book was written, kind of makes me go "ewwwww." But it was a fun read. I enjoyed it.
Sandy
What can I say about Elizabeth Peters, except she is a magnificent writer. OK. I'm a fan of romantic suspense, but when a book is full of history, action (not violence) and comedy, it's a winner. This book is based in Scotland, where a young girl who romanticizes everything from it's past is caught up with a secret society, tomb robbers, and a lovable old laird and his son.
Chambodia
Fun little mystery set in Scotland. I enjoy Elizabeth Peters a lot due to her ability to teach within the context of her novels. That is what elevates most her stand alone mysteries above the level of fluff. This one is too slight to be much of a mystery, though. Usually, her characterization makes up for any lack in story, but this one didn't hit the mark.
Ye
Didn't realize how old this book was until I reached the part about Prince Charles - my god, was he even out of university when the book was written?

With that in mind it became more enjoyable.
Ruth
ok. quick fun read.

Susan's joins a Highland dig, a dream come true for the young archaeology student. A stranger slips Susan a cryptic message in ancient verse—and is later found viciously slain. A mysterious peril has unexpectedly emerged, sending her running for her life in the company of handsome, unconventional laird Jamie Erskine.