The Overcoming Life

The Overcoming Life

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Overcoming Life is quintessential D.L. Moody. Its blunt edge drives hard at the ways in which Christians are overcome in this life and gives ample assistance as to how we might begin to live a life that overcomes in Christ.
Published May 1st 2010 by Moody Publishers (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Overcoming Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overcoming Life

Jason Lilly
Dec 04, 2013 Jason Lilly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
If you're tired of contemporary messages that are watered down by culture and feel-good "self-help" inspiration and contain very little Gospel, you must read some D.L. Moody. This is the way preachers used to get it done, when the message was about bringing people to Jesus and "inspiring" them to follow Him in obedience and in love.

I deeply appreciate D.L. Moody's simple, but convicting way of delivering the Gospel. Reading his words made me long for something that has been lost in a lot of chur...more
Darlene
Disclaimer: I was given this book to review as part of the Goodreads first reads program.
D.L. Moody was an evangelist and as such spoke fervently on the merits and challenges of the Christian faith. This book, "The Overcoming Life" is a treatise of a sort; outlining all Christian believers need to know about how to live a victorious Christian life. It is a no-holds-barred truthful account of the men and women of faith outlined in scripture and how we as believers are to respond to the Word of G...more
Aaron Kleinheksel
This was my first chance to actually read something of D.L. Moody. Moody was not a seminary-trained theologian, but he knew his Bible and spent a very substantial part of his time studying it - and it comes through in his writing style, which is very accessible to the average Christian. From everything I know about D.L. Moody, that is exactly how he would have it. I would in fact wager few "credentialed" theologians could surpass Moody in depth of understanding regarding God's Word.

The book is c...more
Claudia
I received this book through a first reads giveaway.

The Overcoming Life by D.L. Moody is a collection of some of D.L. Moody's sermons. This collection is geared toward exactly what the title says, overcoming. Moody begins by telling us of the warfare a Christian faces, and how we can overcome it with God's help. Then he continues to speak of the one true Victor (Jesus Christ), and that with His power we can overcome.
Moody speaks of many other aids in having the overcoming life, such as wisdom,...more
Skjam!
Disclaimer: I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway on the premise that I would review it.

Dwight Lyman Moody (1837-1899) was one of the great evangelists of the Nineteenth Century. Although of limited education himself, he strongly supported higher learning and founded the Chicago Bible Institute (renamed after him after his death). He was a big believer in missionary work as well and sent many people to China to spread the good word.

This book was originally published in 1896, towards the e...more
Andrew
This book is rooted in the Bible. Moody explains principles for everyday living that are imperative for the Christian life. The chapters are short and straightforward. When explaining a certain part of the Bible, he frequently paraphrases other parts of the Bible, which is the mark of a good pastor or author.

There was one place where I didn't agree with him. In the last chapter, he takes Jesus' statement of being willing to make the leper clean as a general rule and applies it to health. "Now,...more
KDNH
I’ve wanted to read D.L. Moody’s writings for a while. I’ve heard Moody quoted in sermons for years and it’s always something interesting that makes me pause and think. It’s no surprise to me that once finishing this book my first thought was “D.L. Moody is a very quotable author.” Gee, I wonder where that thought come from…

The Overcoming Life is an excellent guide for those seeking to follow Scriptural instructions in living their lives for the glory of Christ and for their own peace among othe...more
Pam
I received this book as the First Reads selection. It's part of the Moody Classics series. It's a small book and perfect for devotional reading. I've always admired Dwight Moody and knew many who attended Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. When I saw this book offered, I realized I only knew the history, not the man. Through his sermons, I clearly saw his deep faith and sacrificial lifestyle that encouraged others to put God first in their lives and to live the "overcoming life" that's centered o...more
Angela
Another interpretation of the bible seen through the eyes of a man who has lived a poor early adulthood. A lot of the content is just direct quotes from the bible with some commentary or whatever meaning the author took from it in everyday situations
Being an atheist I skimmed through most of this book to read big chunks of exerpts. Maybe if you are religious and looking for everyday meaning in scriptures, and understanding your feelings better (In a christian perspective only) then it might be o...more
Molly Michelle Gunter
I wasn't exactly excited to start reading this, and I did take my time to get through it. I don't usually like to read things that resemble self-help books, and I don't like to preached at.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that this book did not have that preachy feeling and that the advice inside the book was solid. It calls people (even Christians) out on all bad behaviors, including intolerance. In short, I loved it and the message it contained. I will be recommending to my churc...more
Paul
I found this book to be a fresh reminder of the simple task placed before the body of Christ to be a trustworthy herald of Good News.

D.L. Moody writes from the mid 1800's as though he were writing of the post-modern church of today. A timely word for right now. If you have never read anything from D.L. Moody you may be in for a surprise.

Powerful biblical insight and an inside look at a man used of God to awaken his generation.
This is my first time to read D.L. Moody. There were parts of the book that I loved and from which I benefitted, but I would not put him on my list of favorite Christian authors. I do plan to read other writings of his to confirm my first impressions.
Diana
DL Moody is very profound in all his books, but the thing that stuck out the most and has haunted me, is that our pastor preached a message about there is no I in Team, but DL Moody states if you will notice that there is an I in SIN.
Edward Ramsbottom
A very good book on salvation and witnessing. Many illustrations of people being saved. Seven chapters and each chapter is almost like a sermon in itself. A very useful tool for new Christians.
This book was okay - I generally prefer books with more theology and less "You can do this, just try really hard." stuff.
George
A must read for those that are in ministry...which is every one of us that proclaim Jesus, as Lord and Savior!
Vaughn
Excellent! "If we have got Christ within us, we will overthrow them all."
Cary
Moody was such a straightforward preacher.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ryszard
Ryszard marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Lashani
Lashani marked it as to-read
Debie Bordges
Debie Bordges marked it as to-read
Lynda  Gager
Lynda Gager marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Pete N
Pete N marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • The Duke and the Decoy
  • Spirit Nudges: Proof That Spirit Is Never Far Away
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • The Greatest Thing In the World
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Carol of the Tales and Other Nightly Noels: An Advent Anthology (Advent Anthologies, Volume 2)
  • Abide in Christ
  • Answers To Prayer
  • Angel Therapy: Healing Messages for Every Area of Your Life
  • Dreams Like Mine
  • A Saint Called Nicholas the Wonderworker
  • What Are You Afraid Of?
  • Altered Selves
Dwight Lyman Moody was a predominant evangelist, author, and publisher. Raised on a farm in Massachusetts, he moved first to Boston, where he converted to evangelical Christianity in 1856, and then to Chicago, where he prospered in business. He gave up business in 1860 and engaged in missionary work with the YMCA (186173).

He founded Moody Church and preached in the slums, emphasizing literal inte...more
More about D.L. Moody...
The Men of the Bible Secret Power Experiencing Pleasure and Profit in Bible Study Sovereign Grace Prevailing Prayer

“To fear is to have more faith in your antagonist than in Christ.” 4 likes