Start by marking “Moving Target” as Want to Read:
Moving Target

Moving Target (Rarities Unlimited #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  2,788 ratings  ·  89 reviews
The troubling message from Serena Charters's late grandmother appears in a package containing four pages of a centuries-old illuminated manuscript -- a strange inheritance that hides many secrets...and has already cost many lives. Seeking answers, Serena turns to Erik North of Rarities Unlimited, a reclusive manuscript appraiser with a passion for the past. Without warning ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 2001)

Lori
With this being the first book of the series, I absolutely loved it!

She did a remarkable job with creating the characters of "Serena" and "Eric" that I was flipping the pages faster and faster.

I love stories about ancient relics and I was introduced to Illuminated Manuscripts for the first time. That in itself was intriguing.

But the storyline is even better with a dynamic ending!

I only wished that I had read the author's note at the back of the book FIRST because I think I would've enjoyed the
Maureen
Elizabeth Lowell is a fascinating author to me. I love how she does her research and educates me as she writes, but I've never seen a more inconsistent author. Her contemporary romances with the arts & antiquities themes are great - like this one, Moving Target. I loved the plot. But her historical stuff (Only series) couldn't get me past the first 50 pages. Sorry, thought the premise of Only Mine was moronic. Didn't make it to the others. She is quite the varied author. Even how she develop ...more
Jess
The idea was interesting, but the characters were not. It could easily have been wrapped up in half the time. The back of the book was much more interesting than the book itself. There wasn't enough to the mystery and it was a very subdued suspense novel. I forced myself to finish it hoping it would get better, but it didn't. I haven't read any of Lowell's other books so I may give her a try again. Glad it was a free book.
Richard Jackson
I loved this book. Anyone who loves books will love the story wrapped around this one. It was a facinating look back into history as it follows the creation and preservation of a unique manuscript.
Anita Truong

I wasn't expecting a paranormal element to play a part in this book, but it was pretty much the first thing that hits you in the face with the prologue featuring Serena's mysterious grandmother (endearingly referred to as "G'mom" throughout by Serena of which I wasn't sure how to pronounce, so I went with a very crass sounding gee mom). The Book of the Learned as well as some mystic properties of Lisbeth Charters' family heritage is presented front and center. It's an interesting concep
Lynn Demsky
"The troubling message from Serena Charters's late grandmother appears in a package containing four pages of a centuries-old illuminated manuscript -- a strange inheritance that hides many secrets...and has already cost many lives. Seeking answers, Serena turns to Erik North of Rarities Unlimited, a reclusive manuscript appraiser with a passion for the past. Without warning, they are thrust together into the center of a lethal firestorm that rages between two worlds -- one long dead, yet living ...more
Angela
Moving Target, the first of her Rarities Unlimited series, is perhaps my favorite of all of Elizabeth Lowell's books. Not because she does anything hugely different in this book that she does from the rest of them, mind you--but more because she happens in this one to mix all of her plot and character ingredients into the exact right recipe to suit my personal tastes.

Serena Charters inherits an ancient manuscript when her grandmother is murdered. Like you do in these sorts of plots, soon discove
This book is a half Da Vinci Code and half 007, but lives up to neither. I love the idea of Rarities Unlimited and want to know where to send my resume! Dana and Neal are witty beacons in a sea of otherwise mediocre characters. Unfortunately they are not the main characters. I tried but just couldn't fall in love with Eric and Serena. I'm still not convinced that they loved each other for that matter. The first time they slept together I found myself rewinding my iPod at the next stop light, try ...more
Christina George
This is a novel of intrigue as it chronicles the aftermath of the death of the last one to have seen the illuminated manuscript known as The Book of the Learned. This is something some factions of the rare books society will do anything to get their hands on, including murder.

I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, and the added touch of fantasy was light enough to be intriguing but not overly powering in a way that might turn some non SF people away.

I greatly appreciate the research Elizabeth Lowell pu
Jenny
This only took me nearly two weeks to finish.... and it wasn't compelling as I believe a murder mystery should be. The plot was all over the place and didn't even seem to matter - who, other than Serena and Erik - cared about this book? In the end, when the mastermind behind the arsons was revealed, I couldn't have cared less. I was simply glad that the book was almost over!

There was so much I didn't understand, which might have been because I read this book so slowly and in patches. (Why did th
Kathleen Freeman
Another great story by Elizabeth Lowell and I LOVED the cameo appearance of the Donavans!! Even though this authors books can be categorized as romanic suspence I always learn something when I read one of her books whether it be about gems, boats, historic material etc. Looking forward to what is next.
Vanessa
I liked this one, but wasn't overly thrilled by it. The action was good at the end and the murderer could have been any number of people. Also, there was a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

I loved the alpha male, but just couldn't stand the heroine, and so the romance was flat to me. I enjoyed most of the other characters, but for me, Serena was basically not likable and one-dimensional. There were some clever lines of dialog, and so I was able to overcome my almost total disinterest i
Jeanne Jenkins
This was a book that I picked up and thought that it would be interesting. I did not know the author. I am not sure why I picked it, but sure am glad that I did. A grandmother dies and her grand-daughter is left pages of manuscript that is centuries old. Not sure if they are worth anything, she starts researching them. She would have never even thought of where her journey would take her. Frequently I read books about a subject matter that I am not particularly interented in, but then I get caug ...more
Dundee Library
For readers that are happier on the Romance side of Romantic Suspense, Elizabeth Lowell makes a good read-alike for Garwood. Lowell has written all sorts of Romance novels, including some very highly regarded Historical Romances. So she shares with Garwood the ability to set scenes that draw the reader into the world of the novel. Lowell is also good at creating well-developed characters and in crafting witty, fast-paced dialog. Her stories are equally fast-paced and mix a good dose of suspense ...more
Linda
When Serena Charters' grandmother is brutally murdered, Serena receives her inheritance...a package containing a centuries-old illuminated manuscript and which contains what appears to be a secret message from her grandmother. Serena turns to Rarities Unlimited and Erik North a manuscript appraiser to help her find answers. Erik and Serena are strongly...and strangely...drawn to each other and both are soon caught up in a dangerous plot to steal the manuscript pages at any cost.

This is a fast-pa
Teresa
I liked this one, although there was a little too much of the second Serena and Erik for my tastes. Pretty much every time one of them looks at the other they flash to a memory of the other version, 'a memory that they couldn't possibly have.' I'm fine with the mystical/paranormal whatever you want to call it, element to the story, it was just brought up a few dozen times too many, in my opinion.

I had read this one years ago, but as I was listening to the audiobook, I realized that it only seeme
Sarah Webber
Several years ago I tried to read this and couldn't make it past 50 pages. I was successful this time but it is still an uneven novel. I think she tried too hard to connect it to her medieval trio.
Cathleen Ash
I am so excited I found another mystery/intrigue author! I mean, I love Kellerman (both of them I guess) and Dan Brown, and Alan Folsom, and the whole Sherlock Holmes, Alfred Hitchcock, and Agatha Christie set, but I'm always looking for new fun authors to read - and she's it! I thoroughly enjoyed this present-day intrigue based on a 1,000 year old Celtic rune (ruin? or scarf?). The descriptions of the Illuminated Manuscripts are fantastic, and the hot, steamy, are they ever going to get togethe ...more
Cupcakencorset
The first of Lowell’s Rarities Unlimited series, this was a good read. It introduces a new cast of characters, each of whom is interesting in his/her own right. Knowing as I read the book that Lowell went on to write three more books based around them, I found myself speculating on whose stories would be filled out and continued in the sequels. This didn’t really detract from the major story in this volume, which had elements of intrigue and passion, murder and reincarnation, love and mysticism, ...more
Susan
Was a little bit confusing at the beginning but it held my attention.
Melinda Medlin
I really love Lowell's books. They are gripping.
Mary Kinietz
plot driven, the manuscript art was intersting.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
May 03, 2011 Alexis-Morgan Roark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexis-Morgan by: alexisroark@sbcglobal.net
Ok. This book was pretty good. I actually listened to the audiobook, but it was read by someone other than the person listed on Goodreads; so, I switched to this version instead.

Wow! What a world. What characters. I truly did like the bit of the paranormal-past lives blending into the present and a beautifully described cloth that made you want to reach into the book to see if it was smooth or rough to the touch, and, of course.

Gimme more. Now!

Can't wait for the next installment. Also audio on l
Kdiard
I'm rating the audio version.
Maura
So I read this a long time ago...I recently re-read it and came to the stunning realization that this book is directly tied to Elizabeth Lowell's Medieval Series - with the descendants of Erik the Learned who are experiencing some dreams/prior life flashbacks. I was floored by it!

The story is also a really good suspense romance. I did find myself speed reading through some of the longer explanations of illuminated documents and all that, but for the most part enjoyed the story line and the roma
Darwin
02/04/14-02/16/14
Kathi Sharp
Took awhile to get around to reading this. Now I'm sorry I waited. I have a huge back catalog to work with now as I loved this book!
Erik and Serena are both well written, solid back story on Serena, they seem well matched in personality. Fun dialog, especially Niall and Dana. Just a touch of Celtic magic, enough to make the relationship special. Evocative descriptions of landscape, people and weaving and illuminated manuscripts make the story come alive. Almost like poetry.

WON IN A CONTEST ON WR
Amanda
Book #26 of 2010

This was an OK book. I was intrigued by the premise, by the Book of the Learned, by the two pairs of lovers (or one pair?) one thousand years apart. I wish the book had spent more time exploring that angle. I loved the scarf, how it was repulsive to everyone but those Erik and Serena.

Fulfills #1 in the March Monthly Challenge : Read a book with a title that starts with an "M".
Meaghan
once again, i love the way i learn something and enjoy a great romantic suspense novel. who knew illuminated manuscripts could be so sexy?
  • The Ruby
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Dying to Have Her (Soap Opera #2)
  • Whispers at Midnight
  • Finding Laura
  • The Sinister Touch (Guinevere Jones, Book 3)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)