Swan King

Swan King

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A revealing and detailed biography of one of the most enigmatic figures of the nineteenth century Refreshingly accessible and thoroughly researched, this biography captures as never before the story of Ludwig II of Bolivia. Ludwig is best remembered for his patronage of Wagner and for the fantasy-like palaces he created. The Swan King presents new conclusions on the more u...more
352 pages
Published October 16th 2012 by I B Tauris (first published January 1st 1982)

Aoife
This book gives a good introduction to Ludwig's life. When it comes to the topics that are still a cause of discussion (his homosexuality, his possible mental illness and his death) the author does have certain views on those but also does not fail to mention the things that do not fit 100% with this theory. A somewhat rare treat when it comes to literature on Ludwig.
Mcintoch writes that he only learned about Ludwig because of his fascination with Wagner and it shows. The chapters on Wagner are...more
Jen
I read this book in preparation for my trip to Bavaria because he is so famous for his architectural achievements, but has also been deemed mad by certain scholars. This book was objective and fascinating. It gave an entire biography of Ludwig from birth to death and I am glad to now add such a rather obscure figure to my repertoire of biographies.
Natali
A really well written history book about a fascinating historical figure! Well organized, well told story, engaging writing. I couldn't ask for anything more from this book!
Rusty
A fast paced, high level look into the life of an intriguing personality. Good to get an overview of Ludwig II's life and the events going on around him, but I found myself on Wikipedia after each chapter trying to get more information than the author provided.
Jade Maitre
This was a great read. A very thoughtful and balanced view on the Swan King and his close relationships. I particularly liked how it weighed existing evidence about his life rather than attempting to draw conclusions, as so much of his life remains conjecture despite the evidence. I thought this helped clear the clouds around this tormented and talented individual, and appreciate him for the person he may have been, rather than the myth he has subsequently become. I also felt that the author was...more
Carly
The life of Ludwig II was fascinating. Sometimes you can't believe that this was non-fiction. While really fascinating, sometimes the book got bogged down in what was to me uninteresting politics. Some of the politics were so interesting and really important to the history of Germany and the world, but sometimes I had to slog through it. Also, I felt that the author jumped a bit in his timeline, which was confusing.
åsa svensson
King Ludwig is a very fascination person, so I cannot understand how this book could be so utterly boring.
Cynthia Bifani
Cynthia Bifani marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lisa Sassaman
Lisa Sassaman marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Emily Vijayakirthi
Emily Vijayakirthi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jaime Cravens
Jaime Cravens marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jmurph062aol.com
Jmurph062aol.com marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Barbie
Barbie added it
Jun 13, 2014
Lisa Hannes
Lisa Hannes marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Amelia Fairburn
Amelia Fairburn is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Sfrith
Sfrith marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Error 1 9 Nov 17, 2008 10:42PM
Rosicrucians: The History, Mythology and Rituals of an Occult Order Gardens of the Gods: Myth, Magic and Meaning in Horticulture Eliphas Levi and the French Occult Revival The Astrologers And Their Creed: An Historical Outline The Rosy Cross Unveiled: History, Mythology And Rituals Of An Occult Order