Start by marking “The Marriage Lesson” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Lesson

The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,067 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Lesson #1: Never Tempt a Lady Become a bride? Never! Lady Marianne Shelton has come to London to experience life, and marriage is not part of her plan. To finance her independent future, the pretty country miss pens a series of anonymous stories. Soon they are the talk of the ton-and only she knows that her wicked hero is based on none other than bold, brash Thomas Effingt...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Lesson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Lesson

Carrie Olguin
This story would have earned an additional star if it wasn't for the Heroine's inconsistant mental thought processes. For the first half of the story she doesn't believe in love, doesn't believe it lasts, using her parents' example of why she will never marry - a love match which led to her mother dying unhappy and her father turning away from his family to drink and gaming.

In the second half of the book, she falls in love with the hero but refuses to marry because he's not in love with her.

Huh?...more
Sara
So mostly it was fine. Not fabulous, but good. I had some problems that kept me from liking it more.
Issues:
1)There was great build-up towards the end, and I was quite hopeful, but then the end was the same stereotypical cliche/stupid/overwrought/eye-rolling ending that I hate.
2)The tertiary character of the newspaper publisher caught my fancy way more than the hero ever did. True, the hero was appealing enough, but again I ask: WHY is it unacceptable for the heroine to end up with Cadwallender...more
tacitus
The writing is fine, but the character development is non-existent and the heroine is entirely unrealistic for the era. She's basically a well bred, intelligent gentle-woman who miraculously decides to becomes a adventure seeking harlot at the drop of hat, and with apparently no consideration of the nasty social repercussions that would occur in that era. I do not use the word harlot as a moral judgement, but merely as a term to describe her behavior. She PLANS to throw herself at as many men as...more
Judy
The 3rd book in the Effington series brings us to Gillian's brother, Thomas and Richards 3 unmarried sisters, Marianne, Jocelyn & Rebecca or Becky as she prefers. Henry the dog has also joined them at Thomas's family home in London. His mother was to sponsor the girls for the season but his folks were off in America as Richard and Gillian were there to see what they owned and she became with child.

Marianne accidentally hears Thomas talking to a friend about getting the girls married off quic...more
Kerry Allen
Quit at 85%.

Hiring some dude to pretend to be a rapist so you can play the savior is UNACCEPTABLE and NOT AMUSING.

I choose to believe this asshole dies horribly in the remaining pages and Marianne goes on to have a marvelous life and never thinks of him again.

This is a really good example of something that will make me Never-Again an author. Sometimes a vast philosophical gulf opens between an author's "This is an okay action for a protagonist in a romance novel to undertake" and how I expect...more
I am certainly getting more harsh in my romance novel star rating. This book was not bad, but it was slightly boring in my giant pile of sordid romances.

I picked it up based on the inside cover blurb and found it very divorced from what actually happens. Having a heroine who doesn't care about virtue and sees sexual adventures as an exciting experience she wants without marriage was a bit of a breath of fresh air, but she quickly becomes like every other heroine who wants a love marriage. (I am...more
Qing
It was alright - kinda cute - but then she went all mushy which kinda made the story go bleh
Priyanka
Woah... this book was really enjoyable and quite humorous.

This third book in the Effington series is about Thomas Effington, Lord Helmsley, Gillian's brother and future duke of Roxborough and Marianne; second eldest sister of Richard (Gillian's husband- 'The Husband List')

Marianne is a very strong headed and quite a beautiful bluestocking. She doesn't want to marry yet as she was deeply affected by her mother's death and her father's ignorance of his children. It is her aim to enjoy life with...more
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"Ho scoperto che si puo' avere più eccitazione tra le braccia di un solo uomo che non nel mondo intero. E' stata una lezione che ho dovuto imparare. Una lezione di vita. Una lezione di amore. E alla fine, una lezione di matrimonio."

Rispetto ai primi due della serie questo terzo è stata una delusione, scontato tanto da essere noioso e con protagonisti poco incisivi per non dire irritanti XD Thomas ci viene presentato come un (ex?) libertino e uomo di mondo ma in realtà si rivela subito estremamen...more
Jessi
Marianne Shelton is a undercover writer of a romance novel that has captured the imagination of London's ton. She has based the main character on her temporary guardian, her brother's new wife's brother. Yeah, a little confusing, but a good story. The narrator is supposed to be herself, an innocent country miss coming to London and being seduced by a wicked but handsome lord. It's, of course, all nonsense but no one knows she's the author and, well, maybe not all of the adventures are completely...more
Patria
Bronwyn Rykiert
What a wonderful story. This story is part of the Effington Family Series, it is book 3 and I loved it.

Thomas Effingham who is a Marquess and the future Duke of Roxborough and has been given the job of presenting his brother in law’s 3 sisters to society and finding them each a husband.

He finds himself attracted to Marianne, the eldest without realizing how much and they have a bit of fun together, giving each other lessons.

I usually hate it when the story line has one party not wanting to admit...more
Pton
This book was okay.. not on par with the first book. I love bluestocking heroines, but come on.. how many times can you use the well if you don't do it then I shall get someone else to do it. Maybe twice would have been enough but I got bored after awhile. It felt forced in the beginning too, simply okay kiss me now though I just really met you or I'll go ask someone else to do it and I'll just call you by the first name. It was just.. I don't know.. missing something.

The duel and last scene wa...more
Svetlana
Romantic and funny at the same time
This book is very enjoyable and is easy to read. I found myself getting a bit bored after about one third of the book, but then it picked up again, loved the second half. Romance with touch of humor, very Victoria Alexander style, love this author. Would highly recommend for anybody who is looking for a sweet entertaining romantic story
Victoria Alexander
Princess
This story was a bit more steamier and daring than previous Effington stories. For a story that takes place in 1819 the events in this story would've been very scandalous indeed. It was very fun to read. Thomas, the future Duke of Roxborough is hilarious and such a lovable character. He thinks he's in charge and is the boss of everyone but he was so wrong and it was funny to see how Lady Marianne outwits him at every turn.
Halah
Okay some parts sounded like a broken record , adventures\lessons , adventures\lessons ,adventures\lessons ,adventures\lessons ! and i think the story was LONG and did not need all the 400 pages !!

but i laughed so hard in the the last 40 pages where thomas did his "acts" , i mean that was so funny ! and IF i re-read this book i would only read those parts !!
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Lisarenee
Loved it. About Marrianne and Thomas. She is a bluestocking and he is looking for a wife who will be easily managed. When he is put in charge of Marianne and her sisters for their first season sparks fly. Very fun read. I'm sure Alexander's books will keep me busy for some time.
Jupiter394
It was okay. It was my trial download from the library to my kindle. Plus, I was looking for a fluff read to break up all the reading I've been doing.

Parts of the book were very funny, particularly the ending, but parts were kind of dull and repetitive.
Amos
of Borders Marketplace 6/21/2010
again excellent followup on #1 and 2... Good sence of humor made me laugh. Reminessent of Stepanie Plum with a bit more reason for the snapus... Precedes most of Ivanovitch I think. contemporary? Hmm.
Dancer
I usually like Victoria Alexander, but the plot line left much to be desired. The Poet Highwayman - the pretend duel - the meeting in the library are all ways to "make this work" instead of letting the story develop.
Sara
This was some good fun in which a young man does his best to win over the woman he loves. Unfortunately, she's decided not to marry and will only sleep with him. All kinds of silly plans follow.
Donna
This was my favorite so far in this series!!! I really loved both Thomas and Marianne. I frequently found myself laughing out loud. The end with the drunken highwaymen was great!
Carla_Collette
I really liked this book--it was silly and suspenseful and romantic. Just the kind of book to cozy up with at the end of a long day. A fun escape read.
Ilze
I don't mind the occasional side character being a cartoon character, but I can't stand it if the main ones are cartoons. Did not get past the second chapter.
Diane Sallans
I had read the first book in this series several years ago - the characters from that book are not integral to this part of the story.
Carolyn
It was cute. At some point all the Regency Romances are essentially the same and maybe I am just a bit burnt out on them.
Love that she's pursued by multiple admirers, dislike that she's not really looking at Cadwallender because he's not got a title.
Elisa Bookaholic
Parts of this book are funny, but it was way too long. I enjoyed it but won't be reading it again.
Heather
Had to give this book 5 stars for the wonderful Humor and dialogue throughout the story
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • Before the Scandal (Notorious Gentlemen, #2)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)
  • Let Sleeping Rogues Lie (School for Heiresses, #4)
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,...more
More about Victoria Alexander...
The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1) A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1) What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2) The Husband List (Effingtons, #2) Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)

“Adventure, my dear, is as much a state of mind as anything else. One can travel the world and never find the excitement to be found within arm's reach.

Remain true to yourself, but understand happiness may not always be found in the plans we have laid out for ourselves, but rather in the unforeseen turns life takes us. Do not close your mind, or your heart, to the unexpected twists of life. It is those unexpected paths that could well lead to the greatest adventures of all.”
5 likes
“Yes, well, there’s something to be said for damsels who need rescuing.” Thomas’s gaze strayed back to Marianne. She would never need rescuing. And wasn’t there something to be said for that as well?” 5 likes