Start by marking “The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help - Or Hurt - How You Lead” as Want to Read:

A guide for using body language to lead more effectively Aspiring and seasoned leaders have been trained to manage their leadership communication in many important ways. And yet, all their efforts to communicate effectively can be derailed by even the smallest nonverbal gestures such as the way they sit in a business meeting, or stand at the podium at a speaking engagement ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Language of Leaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Language of Leaders

Ravi Warrier
There's nothing new that this book says on the subject not does it say anything different from the thousands of other books written on body language.

Brownie points for wrestling it around leaders, but otherwise it's just an average book.
Metta
Jun 16, 2016 Metta rated it liked it
Body language is the most primitive way in which our emotions are revealed to the outside world, from facial expressions to the placement of one's arms and feet, the body can transmit a gamut of information about our emotions.

This becomes especially important when we are a leader in a business where your effectiveness largely depends on the message you portray, from both your words and the way you express yourself. People unconscious pick up these "body cues" and quickly form lasting impression
Vladimir Grigorov
Jan 16, 2016 Vladimir Grigorov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Корицата и заглавието на книгата навяват асоциации с един особен жанр на self-help литературата, който като начин на писане може да се обобщи така - “Аз съм най-добрия, най-умния, най-готиния, най- най- най-, прочетете тази книга за да станете и вие най-добрите, най-умните, най-готините, и т.н”. Вътре стила си е точно такъв. Въпреки това тази книга ми беше много полезна. Признавам, че въобще не подозирах колко много информация разкриват неосъзнатите действия и жестове в междуличностното ...more
Scott Wozniak
Aug 16, 2013 Scott Wozniak rated it really liked it
Well written with solid reminders and some interesting insights, it's not a long book.

There are some clever ideas--note the legs/feet to get a more honest read of people in a seated meeting--and some leader specific ideas--where to sit at a conference table (maximize eye contact), But the first part of the book is mostly standard, solid body language.

The final section was my favorite. The author asked leaders from cultures all over the world to explain how their culture handles: eye contact, p
Amal Shoeib
There are multiple considerations to closely pay attention to such as:

Consider context:Should someone in this situation be acting like this?Look for clusters of actions, not isolated ones:All three of those behaviors are associated with…?Get a baseline:How do they normally act?Be aware of your biases:Are you tempted to cut them slack and they haven’t started speaking yet?

Your abilities will make a quantum leap if you realize that body language is part of a bigger context and a bigger cluster and
Alan Caramatti
Aug 10, 2012 Alan Caramatti rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
This is an interesting and insightful book on some of the behaviors our bodies engage in that also reflect our attitudes. At the same time, the author avoids common traps in this subject, such as promises that you: (1) can manipulate people by faking attitudes (why?), and (2) will be able to read people's minds by reading their bodies (yeah, right!). The author does a good job of referring to specific studies that have been done, and the Notes in the back of the book refer you to the original ...more
Dan Gabree
Sep 28, 2012 Dan Gabree rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read, both entertaining and enlightening. Good insights into different perspectives on actions, and some good advice on certain situations. Explores actions from the perspective of an international community, as well as looking at gender specific considerations.

All in all, I found myself taking more notes and finding more NEW perspectives than I ever expected from a book on this subject. Definitely worth reading and perhaps, reading twice.
Ben Galbraith
Mar 24, 2012 Ben Galbraith rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I learned quite a few insights about how body language influences people's perception about others. As a business-centric book on the topic, I learned how I can be a better manager and a better peer by paying more attention to both my own body language and body language of others. But ultimately the book seem to contain a great deal of filler material and I felt I could've gained everything that I learned by reading a short article on the topic.
Michael Sanderson-green
Interesting enough to read but a bit light on and superficial in research. I felt there was too much an emphasis on women changing their body language to be more like men , the reality especially in Australia is male leaders are trying to develop the people skills most women already have so why suggest women move towards a dysfunctional group when I fact they are ideally place in the new world of management.
Susan
Jul 09, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read for those who are in leadership positions. It is interesting how many small gestures can be taken the wrong way. Everyone comes to conversations with their own expectations and baggage. It is very important to always remember how gestures can be misinterpreted.
Good stuff to know!
Kat Davis
Jul 30, 2012 Kat Davis rated it liked it
A lot of the info in this book was common sense, but that is not to say there were some really interesting facts and suggestions. Written more for the management type, I can see how these 'tells' would be good to develop for people management. All in all a relatively interesting read.
Eric
Nov 19, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opener...

While reading I begin to be exposed to the role body language play's in our lives.
Silent Language of Leaders...
Stephanie
Oct 14, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Fascinating stuff on how our body language will help us in leadership and communication. Really enjoyed the chapter on gender differences.
Alicia
Jun 21, 2016 Alicia rated it liked it
This is great if you need a basic introduction to body language. If you are looking for a more in-depth look, read elsewhere.
Danny Wong
May 01, 2014 Danny Wong rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Interesting to understand how non-verbal clues can make such differences in every day communications. Many of the suggestions are common sense, worthwhile for a quick read.
Carolyn
Jun 26, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
The frumpy presentation and illustrations made the book feel dated, despite being published in 2011.
Thai
May 18, 2015 Thai rated it really liked it
Really good book with lots of real life examples.
The book is easy to read so I've enjoyed reading it!
The recommendations on presentation (body language onstage) are great!
Catherine
This book is alright, not the best. It is best read for defense against people who think it is an absolute, precise science. Body language exists but it is not the complete communication package.
Vladimir
Sep 09, 2015 Vladimir rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
доста банална, интересни факти относно понятието "време" в различните култури, другите неща вече съм ги чел
Peggy Lawson
Peggy Lawson rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Briana
Briana rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Shanna
Shanna rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Emiliya
Emiliya rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
WAI MENG WONG
WAI MENG WONG rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Silvio Xavier
Silvio Xavier rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Joredos
Joredos rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Vincent
Vincent rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • Body Language It's what you don't say that matters
  • The Straight-A Conspiracy: A Student's Secret Guide to Ending the Stress of High School and Totally Ruling the World
  • The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice
  • Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others
  • Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message--Without Saying a Word
  • 101 Great Answers to Toughest Interview Questions
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Mackay MBA of Selling in the Real World
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Teaching Reading in Small Groups: Differentiated Instruction for Building Strategic, Independent Readers
  • Body Language 101: The Ultimate Guide to Knowing When People Are Lying, How They Are Feeling, What They Are Thinking, and More
  • The Body Language Bible: The hidden meaning behind people's gestures and expressions
Dr. Carol Kinsey Goman, president of Kinsey Consulting Services, specializes in energizing individuals and organizations to thrive in an environment of constant change. Carol is an international lecturer who presents keynote addresses and seminars for corporations, management conferences and major trade associations. She is the author of ten business books, including "THE NONVERBAL ADVANTAGE: ...more
More about Carol Kinsey Goman...

“the next time your opponent presents a written document for you to read, resist the temptation to look at it. Instead, ask him to tell you what it says, and watch his body language as he does. You'll learn so much more.” 0 likes
“A good rule is to look for three body language signals that reinforce the same nonverbal message.” 0 likes