Start by marking “Susan Laughs” as Want to Read:
Susan Laughs

Susan Laughs

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Published February 3rd 2011 by Andersen (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Susan Laughs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Susan Laughs

Jonathan Fowle
Susan is the same as any other child, she laughs, sings, swings on trees, has same emotions and feelings as anyone else, gets into trouble and plays sport. At the end of the book, the readers find out that Susan is in a wheelchair, but she can still do the same things as anyone else.

The book explores what Susan can do, not what she cannot do and the book really emphasises the message that disabled children are just the same as anyone else. The book can be used to encourage and motivate disabl
Sian
This book is written simply, with only a few words on each page, relying heavily on the illustrations to build up the character of Susan, a little girl who does all the normal childhood things. Susan laughs, sings, cries, paints, grins....and it only becomes apparent on the final page of the book that Susan is in a wheelchair. The book concludes with the words,'That is Susan through and through - just like me, just like you'.The use of rhyme within this book is great and would be great to use wi ...more
Bridie Atkinson
Susan laughs, she sings, she flies, she swings. She's good, she's bad, she's happy and she's sad. In fact, Susan is just like everybody else, even though she is in a wheelchair. This story is simple, but the meaning behind it is not just for children, it is for all of us. It would be a great book to open up discussion on disability as well as focusing on inclusion and a great way to hear children’s imputs. It provides discussion on what can be a difficult subject, helping to teach understanding ...more
Livash Ramduth
Susan Laughs is a short story told in rhyme. The story describes a range of common emotions and activities experienced by a little girl, Susan. She swims with her father, works hard in school, plays with her friends, rides a horse. It is not until the end of the story that we discover that Susan is a wheelchair user. When looking back through the book, we notice that Susan is never unassisted but we do not realise any of this until it is bought to our attention in the final illustration. The sto ...more
Charlene
Susan Laughs by Jeanne Willis and Illustrated by Tony Ross

This book is a short rhyming story that describes the emotions and activities that a little girl called Susan experiences. She laughs, she sings, she’s good, she’s bad and many more things, but at the end of the story we find out that she is in a wheelchair.

I like this book because it focuses on Susan’s abilities rather than on the things she can not do. It teaches children that even though someone may have a disability they can still do
Kelsey Nelson
In my opinion, I really enjoyed the book. This book about a young girl in a wheelchair used simple rhyming words and pictures depicting that this girl could do the same activities of people that are not disabled. The book does not reveal to the reader that the girl is in a wheelchair until the end of the book making it easier for a child reader to focus on Susan's actions instead of only the fact that Susan is in a wheelchair. This show's the child reader that even people with are the same as p ...more
Naomi

This is an excellent book to raise awareness of disability, to promote inclusion and also challenge stereotypes. It is a short story told in rhyme. The story describes a range of common emotions and activities experienced by a little girl, Susan. She is never unassisted in any of these activities, however it is only on the last page that it is revealed that Susan is in a wheelchair.

This book can be read together to the class, used as a discussion point to raise any issues of feelings that the pu
Aoife
Lisa Vegan
May 15, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: as a springboard for discussion about disabilities and about differences & similarities
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
The whole book is a message, but it’s a good reminder for kids and adults alike. The rhyming simple story is engaging, and the pictures are fun. I did appreciate the huge variety of things Susan did during the book, making her authentically real with whom kids can definitely identify. Because the point of the book is to show that despite being in a wheelchair Susan is like everybody else, I’d think this would be good to read when discussing disabilities and differences (and similarities) but not ...more
Meltha
This book has very cheerful, colorful pencil sketches throughout of the title character, Susan, going through a whole series of rhyming activities, showing her happy and sad, behaving herself and getting yelled out for scaring her grandmother or teasing the cat, getting her addition right or wrong, playing, etc. It is not revealed until the final drawing that Susan uses a wheelchair. In a way, this seemed a little deceptive. I understand that the text wanted to focus on the concept that the chil ...more
Mr. George
This must have snuck by my new list of books years ago until I took a second look...what a great ending...and it makes you read it a few times...and you have that great Matrix/The Usual Suspects moment of "oh...genius"

SPOILER ALERT>.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Nicolewinter2011
Illustrator: Tony Ross
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Year: 1999
Interest Level: Pre-K -- Grade 1
Reading level: K-1

Basic text about a girl and all that she likes to do. Two words "sentences." "Susan ______." She swims, hides, grins, etc. Descriptors are also given as being right, wrong, strong, week, etc. At the very end, the reader discovers Susan has a wheelchair.

I think this is a great book for children in pre-school or kindergarten, but I probably wouldn't go much higher than that. The text
Maria Katrina
This short book is about a young girl called Susan who is like any other child. She laughs, she sings, she's bad, she's good.It is only at the end when it is revealed that she is in fact in a wheelchair.

My favorite part of the book is when the author summarizes the important essence of the story and what it is really aiming to teach readers:
"This is Susan through and through - just like me, just like you."

At the very end Susan is seen sitting happily in her chair, happy with the way she is. Thi
Laina Shearouse
"Susan Laughs" is a simple rhyming story by Jeanne Willis. The author takes the reader through all of the things that Susan does. She laughs, cries, swims, sings and many other things. In the end it is revealed that Susan is in a wheelchair. the obvious point that the author is conveying is that it does not matter that Susan is in a wheelchair she can still do what everyone else can.
I think as a teacher this book would have many uses for grades k-1.With its simple text it would make a excellent
Aoife
A wonderful story that shows Susan is just like you and me and lives life to the full, even though she is in a wheelchair. This is an endearing book which expresses a message of equality in a simple and effective way. As I have chosen SEN as my specialism and have done some observing in a SEN school, this has got to be one of the most beautiful books I have ever had the pleasure of sharing with children of all abilities and ages. The book is written so that young readers can read it to themselve ...more
Den
What a great book which shows how many activities a young girl enjoys - illustrations are lovely and they show a wonderfully happy-go lucky girl ... and then on the last page you find out she is disabled and needs a wheelchair to get around but that hasn't stopped her doing anything she wanted to. A good role model to others.

Siomara
This book is about Susan. She is a a wheelchair but the reader doesn't know that until the very last page. The author did great in allowing the reader to see Susan as any other child, and that didn't change even after we realized she had a disability.
Roshunda Harris
Through rhyming, Susan does all the things that children do. Susan is happy. Susan is sad. She rides ponies, she get's scared in bed, she plays on the playground, and she even plays tricks on Grandma. She is just like me, she is just like you but in the end of the story we find out that Susan is disabled. This book teaches students that though someone may be disabled they can still have fun and enjoy life. It teaches our disabled students to try to enjoy life despite the fact that they are disab ...more
Julie
Deceptively simple Picture Book text with glowing illustrations. The twist at the end gives the story a depth you probably were not expecting. A lovely book.
Kelly
Originally published in the U.K. in 1999 by Andersen Press Ltd. (before being published in the U.S. in 2000 by Henry Holt and Company, LLC).
Kitty
Excellent example of a well written and beautifully illustrated book featuring diversity and inclusion.

Read this to a little audience and the children loved the rhyme and bright pictures. They were surprised to find out that Susan is in a wheelchair. What was priceless is their reactions to the last page:

That is Susan
through and through
just like me. Just like you

to which they chorused: "That's right, she is! I wish Susan was in our class, she's fun!"

- Beautiful.
Barb Middleton
Good conversation with kindergarteners about kids who have to be in wheelchairs and what it might feel like and how to treat them.
Angelique
I would recommend this book for preschool- kindergarten children. It has brief text that will give student's the ability to follow easily. This is a story about a young girl named Susan and everything she does. However, the last page provides something that shows readers that she is unique. Susan is shown in her wheelchair. This book will show students that even though she is in a wheel chair, she is still like them and can do things like them.
Leanne Proctor
I like this book because of the twist.
A story written in rhyme follows Susan, a very active child. The book has lots of illustrations of the fun things she does and what typical children do for fun. However, at the end it is revealed that she has a wheelchair. This book is great for younger children to show that disabilities do not mean that you cannot have fun and enjoy life.
It may be good to introduce this story for citizenship lessons.
Shakita
This book was easy to read and I enjoyed the illustrations. Throughout the book, we see the different emotions that Susan goes through. At the end, we find out she is in a wheelchair. This book shows that no matter what your disability, you can still do all the things other children do. The book didn't show Susan in the wheelchair until the end so students would never know they were reading about someone with a disability.
Leila Gates
This book is an excellent tool to teach children about exceptionalities.
Through beautiful illustrations and simple language the reader learns about Susan's daily activities and feelings; it is not until the end of the book that one finds out that Susan uses a wheelchair. The book teaches children to focus on the abilities of others and not their limitations.
Andrea
I had to go back and re-read this book and look at the illustrations more closely after I realized what it was about. This book is about a girl who has a disability and how she can do everything anyone else can do. I missed it the first time around. Cute enough book. Good intro to the topic of tolerance and acceptance.
Graciela Gonzalez
This book talks about a little girl name Susan who is experiences the same feelings, activities, behaviors, emotions, senses, strengths and weakness as everyone else regardless of her limitations. This book illustrates the humanity we all share and it looks beyond her disability to tell u who she really is....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • In Our Mothers' House
  • Ian's Walk: A Story about Autism
  • Suki's Kimono
  • The Mitten: An Old Ukrainian Folktale
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • The Seeing Stick
  • Just Behave, Pablo Picasso!
  • Dear Mr. Blueberry
  • Nest
  • Pumpkin Eye
  • What's Wrong With Timmy?
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • Three by the Sea
  • Nappy Hair
  • Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
  • The OK Book
  • One
Jeanne Willis was born in St Albans and trained as an advertising copywriter at Watford College. She worked for various agencies creating press adverts and TV, cinema and radio commercials. She is now a full-time writer and has published over 80 books. Her hobbies include gardening, reading (non-fiction), natural history and collecting caterpillars. Jeanne has also worked on scripts for TV, includ ...more
More about Jeanne Willis...
Tadpole's Promise The Bog Baby Shamanka Hippospotamus Never Too Little to Love