Start by marking “The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Adventures Of Tom ...

Mark Twain

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  544,998 Ratings  ·  6,178 Reviews
A consummate prankster with a quick wit, Tom Sawyer dreams of a bigger fate than simply being a “rich boy.” Yet through the novel’s humorous escapades—from the famous episode of the whitewashed fence to the trial of Injun Joe—Mark Twain explores the deeper themes of the adult world, one of dishonesty and superstition, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery.
Published (first published 1876)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, please sign up.

»jαу You can download the kindle version for free on Amazon!

Nataliya
I was five and a half years old when my mother gave me The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as a New Year's gift (she is a literature teacher, and I have been reading novels since the tender age of four or so, and so it seemed appropriate).

Being a diligent and serious child (neither of those qualities have stuck with me, unfortunately), I opened it to page 1 and started reading. I even took it with me to kindergarten, where other kids were learning letters and I was mercifully allowed to read hefty tome
Ahmad  Ebaid
Jul 08, 2016 Ahmad Ebaid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب
description

قصة عن مغامرات الطفل الشقي توم سوير وأصدقاءه,

لن تصدق أن هذه الرواية كتبت قبل 150 عام تقريباً,

فأسلوب مارك توين سهل سلس,

ولا يستخدم تلك الأساليب اللغوية التي تقوم على الاستعراض بمدى إلمام الكاتب بمفردات القاموس

مغامرات وأحداث, لا استعراض للتشبيهات اللفظية,

رواية مسلية جدا, أنا قرأتها في قعده واحدة تقريباً.

عندما بدأت في قراءة مغامرات هاكلبري فين علمت أنها إنما كانت تعد الجزء الثاني لمغامرات توم سوير, فاستحسنت أن أبدأ بقراءة الجزء الأول مادام لدي المتسع من الوقت.

description

وهذه هي آخر كلمات الجزء الأول قبل أن ي
Petra X
Aug 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petra X by: meghan krogh
Update All we need now is a "lost" manuscript by Twain to be found by some lawyer with the story being about an adult Tom Sawyer and this book being the one the editor "forced" Twain to write. I know you are probably thinking that is taking Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman to far, but what if that was just the beginning of a new initiative from publishers. It could be the latest fashion now no-one is interested in vampires any more?
__________

What happened to Tom after he grew up was asked in a rev
Doug
Mar 28, 2010 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all-time favorite work of fiction. I usually read this every summer.

As a fourth grader I read this book and took it very seriously. It was my dream to build a raft and go adventuring. Actually I did build the raft, but there was not enough water in the creek.

My other great ambition was to come marching into my own funeral. I still think that would be fun.

When I read about Tom taking a licking for Becky Thatcher in school and sharing his cake with her in the cave, I thought that was incredibl
Evgeny
May 25, 2015 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.

Samuel Langhorne Clemens aka Mark Twain

The above quote comes straight from the preface of the book and I really cannot add anything else to it; I would not dare
Carmen
Jun 07, 2016 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Looky-here, Tom, being rich ain't what it's cracked up to be. It's just worry and worry, and sweat and sweat, and a-wishing you was dead all the time."

This book is great. I hadn't read it in years, and found it just as good as the previous times I've read it. An American classic by the late, great Mark Twain.

Tom Sawyer isn't really a bad kid although he's always painted and remembered as a little troublemaker, the truth is he has a strong conscience and a strong moral compass. Sure he'll "hook"
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Great American Con.
Shelves: fiction
There's not much that can be said about this book by a hack like me that would do it justice. Mark Twain was the first American writer to figure out how to turn the American vernacular into art, and he was the first historian to document how we talked. He also was a visionary who saw the problems of race and the problem racism would be in the future, and he tried to warn the future the only way he knew how: by writing about it then. He was gutsy and he was talented and he was hilarious, and this ...more
K.D. Absolutely
This coming of age novel is an important American classic because:
1) It is the precursor for the bigger and more important Mark Twain novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

2) It is a historical fiction giving readers a glimpse of the laid back town's life in the mid to late 19th century. The town is called St. Petersburg that is based on Hannibal, Missouri, the hometown of Mark Twain. This book is basically a satire of the customs and superstitions that Americans practiced and believed durin
j
Nov 24, 2010 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Fisher Price
As a child, nothing terrified me more than being lost. My parents found this hilarious. Every time we went on a road trip, my dad would wait a few hours and then start moaning that we had somehow gotten lost. "We're looost! We're looost!" he would wail, and in the backseat I would immediately start bawling. My vivid memories of this suggest that the fear grabbed me long after I should have been old enough to realize that a little kid can't really be lost while with his parents, let alone that yo ...more
Teri
Jun 13, 2015 Teri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I truly feel that if Tom Sawyer were ever a real person, there is not one single method of torture that he could endure that would satisfy how much I want to see this person suffer. All I know is that death would be too kind. Tom Sawyer is a bully. He is insufferably mischievous for no good reason, and the only act(s) of heroism he manages to pull off are to fulfill his own selfish motivations. He has absolutely no value to humankind. He is a conviction character with no arc and no personal grow ...more
Natalie Monroe
Sep 16, 2014 Natalie Monroe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Three things I've learned from reading Tom Sawyer:

1. Marbles are an acceptable form of currency. So provided I didn't throw out my set when I moved, I'm rich and can whitewash as many fences as I want.

2. Boys are dicks to the girls they like.

This is a lie.

This is the more likely scenario.

3. Books read better when you're not being forced to read them.

Next on my required reading list is The Great Gatsby. Mother have mercy...
Apatt
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride”

- “Tom Sawyer” by Rush

Classic prog-rock man!

I’ve always wondered what Rush’s (probably) most popular song has to do with Mark Twain’s young protagonist. Something to do with being a free-spirited rebel I think, though I cannot imagine Tom Sawyer as a warrior. Tom, in fact, seems almost like a juvenile delinquent, though – through the course of this novel – there is no real malice in him. To quote his Aunt Polly, “he warn'
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

T, is for Twain.

3.5 Stars

If you have ever been a young girl you have learned one unavoidable fact; boys are the worst! They are self-absorbed, morbid and cruel. They'll call you names, pull on your hair and treat you entirely like crap....

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer revolves around, surprise, a young troublemaker named Tom. To my way of thinking Tom is a fairly good example of the average youngster. While his adventures may be grander than most, his selfishness and lack of compassion is not.
Amir Lewiz

__________________________

توم الولد الذكي الشقي الذي لا يطيع أوامر و نصائح الخالة بولي ولا أستاذه
وطالما تسبب ذلك في متاعب عديدة لهم ؛
مما كان يضطر خالته طيبة القلب لمعاقبته،

أما استاذه فلا يفكر مرتين قبل أن يعاقبه بقسوة.

لكن هذا الذكي الفنان عرف في احدي المرات كيف ينجو من عقاب خالته
Sura  ✿
Jan 06, 2016 Sura ✿ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
توماس سوير , عفريت صغير بهيئة إنسان , صاحب مخيلة عجيبة و شخصية لا يمكن ترويضها
يقوم بمجموعة من المشاكسات والمغامرات التي تقود به هو وصديقة هاك الى مشاهدة جريمة قتل لتضيف على حياته المثيرة المزيد من الاثارة .

اذكر في طفولتي ان توم سوير كان ابغض كائنات الارض بالنسبة لي لدرجة اني كنت اكره مشاهدة المسلسل , لكني كنت اشاهده مجبرة , فلم يكن يعرض سوى مسلسلين في اليوم فالمشاهدة الزامية سواء راقني المسلسل ام لم يرقني .
واليوم حين قرأت القصة أغرمت بتوم المشاكس الاستفزازي وخياله الواسع ومغامراته الشقية , اح
Antonio

Creo 3.5 estaria mejor pero como Goodreads tiene una maldita política totalitaria dictadora con las estrellas lo dejare en 4

Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer es un clásico "universal" del que probablemente hayan visto alguna de las muchas adaptaciones americanas que tiene, ya sean propias series de televisión o películas basadas en el libro o apariciones especiales, como sucede en los padrinos mágicos. Quizás incluso se sepan ya la historia de la cerca que había que pintar.

En si esta es la historia d
Peter
Dec 16, 2015 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I read Huckleberry Finn first and found that a superior book. I think what makes that book better is the great overarching story and the strong narrator Huck, whose childlike 'simple' view Twain uses to question the status quo of the world around him. The only part of Huckleberry Finn that I disliked was Tom Sawyer's appearance at the end. That didn't bode well for this book, but I thought I would give it a go anyway.

#SPOILERS#

In this book Huck is not as fully formed as he appears in his own sto
Mike Anastasia
I gotta say, for a book that has an otherworldly aura to it, this wasn't as great as I've always been told it was.

Tom Sawyer is the story of a young, mischievous boy and his comrades in the antebellum south. Tom (and Huck Finn, who you've also probably heard of before reading the books) gets himself into all sorts of shenanigans before ultimately becoming the most popular boy in town after accidentally witnessing a murder and finding a bunch of stolen money. He has a love interest, gets into so
Rinda Elwakil
سبتمبر
أكتوبر

شهري قراءة موفقين، أكتر شهرين قرأت فيهم السنة دي
اكتر تقييمات مرتفعة السنة دي
خيارات موفقة إلي الآن

و الأن، قراءة أولي لمارك تواين.
To be reviewed
Jim Ef
Jan 19, 2016 Jim Ef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic!!!
Everytime you open this book it’s like you enter a time machine and go back in 1870’s Mississippi

Ο Τομ Σωγιερ είναι ένα παιδί που, αν και δεν του αρέσει καθόλου το σχολείο, σίγουρα είναι αρκετά έξυπνο. Οι απλή καθημερινή ζωή τον κουράζει και ψάχνει πάντα κάποια περιπέτεια να ζήσει. Όμως συνήθως οι ιδέες του Τόμ φέρνουν σε αυτόν και όποιον αλλον τον ακολουθήσει (συνήθως ο κολλητός του ο Χακ) μεγάλους μπελάδες.
Όμορφα και απλοϊκά γραμμένο “Οι περιπέτειες του Τόμ Σώγιερ” είναι σίγουρο πως
K.M. Weiland
Jul 23, 2015 K.M. Weiland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a delight from start to finish. I was honestly prepared, going into it, for it to be utterly overrated. But it’s as charming as can be—far more so than even the most endearing of its film adaptations. Tom is a deliciously *real*, ornery, mischievous, good-hearted, entirely lovable boy. And Huck Finn is the perfect foil as they embark on a boyhood of adventures. Thoroughly wonderful.
Carol
May 08, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The settling for this classic written over 100 years ago is just a hop, skip and a jump away from me in Hannibal, Missouri.

This fun read is full of nonsense and mayhem provided by the cast of Tom, his pal Huck Finn, his girlfriend Becky Thatcher, Aunt Polly, and the mysterious Injun Joe. What a treat it was to find out that most of these crazy adventures actually occurred in real life to Mark Twain himself or his schoolmates.

It really was hard to get through this tale without laughing at Tom's m

Anastasia
Sep 14, 2014 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-2012
Le avventure di Tom Sawyer è un libro incredibile per i piccoli lettori e un inno all'infanzia perduta per quelli un po' più grandi.

E possiamo far valere questo opening pure come ending e far capire che si potrebbe riassumere tutto qui, a livello di significato, contenuto e impressioni da parte del lettore.
Però io non sono capace di stare zitta, quindi allungo la questione.
Non tanto, lo prometto.

Tom Sawyer è uno di quei bambini che io non avrei sopportato da piccola. Sempre pieno di energie, il
Miquel Reina
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one of the great classics of English literature and a reference for any current author. I read the adventures of Tom Sawyer when I was a child, but I still remember with a smile the wonderful story of Mark Twain.

Spanish version:
Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer es uno de los grandes clásicos de la literatura inglesa y un referente para cualquier autor actual. Leí la aventuras de Tom Sawyer cuando era pequeño pero aún hoy sigo recordando con una sonrisa la maravillosa h
Nandakishore Varma
Nov 23, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
What to say about this book?

Tom Sawyer is an intrepid adventurer, an incurable romantic, a devious trickster, a mischievous imp, a hopeless dreamer... a lot of things rolled into one. He is THE BOY who epitomises boyhood.

As Bertie Wooster would say - he reminds me that I too, once, lived in Arcady.
eliza
Mar 28, 2008 eliza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little-known fact: I played an extra in the musical and got to choose my own name. I picked "Tony" but was told I had to change it because "the Italians hadn't arrived yet." So I changed it to "Anthony" and they accepted that. I guess what they meant is that the Italians hadn't started using nick-names yet.
mai ahmd
Nov 24, 2014 mai ahmd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

كان رائعا وبريئا وممتعا وآخر شقاوة

Andrei Tamaş
Dec 17, 2015 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este o scriere simpatică, o scriere care binedispune: exact stilul lui Twain. Mi-a plăcut problematica abordată fugar de autor în acest roman al său, anume libertatea copilului. Ni se înfățișează un copil răzvrătit, un copil căruia i se impun niște reguli formale pe care nu le respectă, ba chiar din contra: se ridica împotriva lor. Este ilustrat de asemenea principiul psihologiei inverse: "Spune-i unui copil să nu tragă de perdea, iar el exact asta are să facă".
Libertatea: "Amândoi erau de părer
Mike (the Paladin)
Just had to "pick" an edition...couldn't find either the one I read back in the 60s or the one on my shelves now.

This is a wonderful book, for young or old, read it over and over a"true" American classic. Great, great, great.

Tom white washing the fence is so well know...and most have at least heard of Becky, but if you haven't gone to the grave yard with Tom (and Huck) and taken the blood oath: "swears they will keep mum about This and They wish They may Drop down dead in Their Tracks if They ev
Brian
Original read: 1987

Second read: 2016

A reader can discover the humor of Mark Twain with snippets of his work. “Tom Sawyer” contains pages of his humor, laugh out loud humor, if one can understand it. Samuel Clemens chose his pen name after a call from a steamboat. When workmen dropped a measure, “mark twain” echoed over the waters if the depths remained safe for the voyage. One can imagine being with this man, one on one, or in a group, and his sarcastic and humorous comments in a monotone, no j
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Ivanhoe
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves
  • Kalle Blomquist (#1-3)
  • Ježeva kućica
  • The Pickwick Papers
  • The Jungle Books
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića
  • Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Summer of the Monkeys
  • The Three Fat Men
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it” 110 likes
“Ah, if he could only die temporarily!” 68 likes