Start by marking “L'uomo del giorno dopo” as Want to Read:
L'uomo del giorno dopo

L'uomo del giorno dopo

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  25,725 Ratings  ·  979 Reviews
Dopo l'immane catastrofe che li ha colpiti, gli Stati Uniti sono ridotti a un pugno di comunità isolate e indifese. Nella totale desolazione del Nordovest vaga solo Gordon Krantz. Gordon casualmente trova il cadavre di un postino: si impossessa e indossa la sua divisa. Quel "travestimento" cambierà per sempre la sua vita: in ogni villaggio che visita viene scambiato per l' ...more
Published 1997 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about L'uomo del giorno dopo, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paul California Dreamin is not a Beach Boys song (Mamas and the Papas). I think it was California Girls.

Apatt
Nov 20, 2011 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my experience people who pretend to be postmen are usually up to no good, they are more apt to enter your homes under false pretenses and rob you blind than attempt to unite the post apocalyptic Disunited States of America. The protagonist of this book has to be the most heroic postman in fiction. You thought Postman Pat and Cliff Clavin from Cheers are the bees knees? They got nothing on Gordon The Postman, he really knows how to deliver!

This is the second Brin book for me, the previous one
Mike (the Paladin)
One of my all time favorite books, no question. I don't give out many 5 star ratings. Here I give it enthusiastically.

I stumbled on this book some years ago and frankly was surprised at how much I liked it. There are a lot of post apocalyptic books out there. They run the proverbial gamut from excellent to unreadable. This is actually not only a good one, but one of the best.

No spoilers, but we pick up some years after "the collapse" when the infrastructure of the country has ceased to exist. O
Stephen
6.0 stars. This book is the newest addition to my list of ALL TIME FAVORITE novels. Simply put, I loved this story and characters with whom David Brin has populated it. The story is a post-apocalyptic novel set in a future United States in which society has collapsed. However, within this setting the book is really about civilization and the symbols that people rally behind in difficult situations in order to accomplish larger goals beyond their own interests.

The main character is Gordon Krantz,
Horace Derwent
Mar 24, 2017 Horace Derwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The movie moved me, the novel is cautionary and healing me

I'm not a big sucker to Sci-Fi, and I have a penchant for Soft-Sci(Rollins, Lincoln Preston and some Crichton, etc), so few books can move me

Technically, it's a Sci-Fi, but I don't take it for a Sci-Fi. Did anyone read McCarthy's The Road as a Sci-Fi or Fantasy stuff?
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Checkman
I wish I could give this book 2.5 stars.

First let me say I have to go against the overwhelming tide of opinion that holds this novel to be an excellent work. Not that it's terrible, but it wasn't what I expected - or wanted.

The first half of the novel isn't bad as we accompany the protagonist and his effort to survive in post-apocalyptic America. The character isn't heroic. Instead he's a survivor. And then we get started with the postman charade. At first it has potential - the reestablishing o
Amy
Of course, I thought I'd be different and actually enjoy this book since I really enjoyed the movie. But, no. What a train wreck! The first half was great; I'd give it 4.5 stars. A post-apocalyptic wandering bard finds a postman's outfit and begins delivering the mail, hope, and unity to the scattered masses. Lovely. It could have cleanly ended there and all would have been well.

The second half of the book is, at best, 1.5 stars. It's as if someone else wrote it, and it barely resembles the firs
David
May 29, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Postal inspectors, supercomputer programmers in the apocalypse
With the popularity of post-apocalyptic novels today, one almost thinks David Brin published this one too soon. Republish it today and maybe add some zombies and an EMP... okay just kidding. But Brin has always been a thinking fan's SF author, with big and intelligent ideas even in his space operas.

The Postman does not feature zombies, killer plagues, or EMPs. The "Doom War" that ended civilization was set off by the rise of fanatics in the East and the West, leaving the U.S. (and all other coun
Andy
Feb 26, 2008 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who routinely stop reading right before the climax resolves
The Postman is a perfect example of a great storyline with a great build-up that is then totally ruined by a deus ex machina resolution. It's as if the author were given a page count limit and then realized that he was about two dozen pages from that limit and said, "Uh-oh, I'd better wrap this up."

This ranks right up there with Stephen King's The Stand for a horrible, abrupt ending that had little to do with the build-up and character development of the first 95 percent of the book.

If Brin wou
Algernon
Jul 12, 2011 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I stayed away from this book for a long time, mostly due to some cheesy scenes from the Kevin Costner movie I've caught between switching channels on my TV.
I'm glad I've finally got around to give it a try. It starts as a rather bland post-apocalyptic adventure, but gradually the author weaves in the real theme - the role of myths (or Big Lies as they are called in the text) in shaping society. The Postman, the supercomputer and Denna are all riffs on the theme of the Messiah in the guise of Dut
Sarah Anne
So I finally read the book that was the inspiration for one of my favorite movies! I do mean inspiration because there isn't a whole lot that the two have in common. Bethlehem doesn't even exist in the book!!! Isn't that shocking?!

I felt that the book was a bit passive and meandering throughout. Since this fits the character I think that this was intentional. It didn't work well for me. And then it's like somewhere around 2/3 he realizes that there has to be some great conflict so he throws in a
Amanda
Oct 02, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
The Postman is often in lists of Post Apocalyptic fiction must reads. I was aware that this had been made into a film in the 90s, in fact I worked in a cinema at the time. I don't remember watching the film so I thought that as this was a PA must read I would pick this up.

Boring. If I could sum this book up in 1 word. Boring. Dull characters, very little action and full of droning repetition. I'm lucky because I very rarely get bored- why would I be? There is always a book to read. The only reas
S.J. Arnott
I actually enjoyed the first half of this book - a wanderer finds a postal worker's uniform and uses it to pretend he's employed by a revived national government in order to restore civilisation to a post-apocalyptic Oregon...

But then it all goes downhill, the plot, I mean.

And then there was the movie (sad trombone...)
Ben Babcock
My copy of The Postman is battered, well-read, and much loved. It's a movie tie-in Bantam paperback that I found at a used bookstore, the pages ever so slightly yellowed, the cover worn, its top corner ever so slightly curling up in a dog's ear. It fits perfectly with the atmosphere that David Brin creates. This is not a book to be treated delicately or reverently; it is meant to be read, re-read, enjoyed, and explained.

As good fiction, and science fiction, is wont to do, The Postman made me thi
Nikki
I enjoyed the first two parts of this very much. The first part covers serendipitous discovery of an old uniform by the main character, Gordon Krantz, just when he needs it after his camp has been raided and all the gear he needs for survival taken. The second part involves the way he becomes a symbol, at first without meaning to, and then the way he builds up a movement around himself, making his lies a reality.

The third part is where it falls down a bit for me, where he comes seriously involve
Rob
Jun 27, 2007 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of post-apocalyptic America
To Brin's credit: this book moves along quickly, follows a nice formula, and goes roughly where you expect it to go with just enough twists to keep it engaging along the way.

That said, this is also an exemplar of a very average novel about a "post-apocalyptic America". It makes me want to see the film with Costner. Just to compare.

Also: Brin's attempt at being sympathetic to a woman's plight in this post-apocalyptic scenario? Fell way short. Trust me bro, these broads would be way tougher than y
Eric Allen
May 12, 2014 Eric Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Postman
By David Brin

A Retroview by Eric Allen

Some people may be aware of the movie adaptation of The Postman with Kevin Costner. If you haven't seen it. I would probably recommend skipping it unless you're a really huge Costner fan, because that's pretty much the only thing the movie has going for it. I found it too long by at least an hour, very boring, cheesy, and pretty confusing. Back when it came out, I had just started my job working for the post office as a mail carrier, and all posta
Lori
Review copy from author

This was another one of those novels that eluded me for quite a few years. Originally made aware of it's existence when checking out top 10 post-apocalyptic and dystopian fiction lists, The Postman was hailed as one of the better books within those genres.

After searching high and low at local book chains, indie shops, library and used book sales, I contacted it's author David Brin, who selflessly sent me a copy for review. (Many thanks David!)

My timing for this novel could
Astrobravo
Mar 08, 2012 Astrobravo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one that held a lot of promise for me, but ultimately did not pan out. In the beginning we are introduced to an aging ex-scholar who is just trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic Oregon. While tracking bandits he happens upon an old US Mail truck and decides to act like a postman of the Restored US in order to gain safety and shelter. Eventually the lies snowball and he begins to lead Oregon back to civilization.

However, about halfway through this book is where it starts to get t
Mark
Jan 19, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I remember right, this is a book that received quite a mauling at the time of the 1997 film flop. However, when I read it in 1985 I quite enjoyed it. And it was Locus's book of the year in 1986, not to mention a Hugo and Nebula nominee.

Basically it's the story of how a postman (or at least someone with the garb of a postman) reunited a post-apocalyptic America by helping connect disparate communities through their official function.

The first section deals with how the Postman, aka Gordon Kran
Gregory
Apocalyptic SF at it's most fun and endearing. I wouldn't call this great literature but the tale is quite enjoyable and it's softer (science-wise) than much of Brin's repertoire. It's almost like Brin decided to make a modern SF pulp novel and he succeeded.

Movie Opinion: Kevin Costner's movie version did not do this novel justice and was a big bore in comparison.

Also, if you ever get a chance to attend a Brin talk, he's an excellent speaker. He's very engaging and knowledgeable especially on s
Martyn Pass
Dec 01, 2016 Martyn Pass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd put this in the top 10 post-apocalyptic books of all time. It comes from that long-lost era of fiction which really captured the essence of the genre. It's grim, depressing in places, but still willing to leave a real sense of hope that no matter how bad it gets, it'll all be okay in the end. If you're a fan of the video game franchise 'Fallout' then you're in for a treat because I suspect Bethesda did a bit of borrowing from this book, amongst others.
fromcouchtomoon
The Postman or The Post-Man? What begins as a journey to connect the post-apocalyptic communities of the western United States becomes a war against dangerous survivalists who have somehow overcome their isolationist tendencies to band together and rape and pillage the innocent communities. The journey/quest narrative abruptly turns into one of Brin's earlier (and less successful) (and quite offensive) experiments with feminism. (Glory Season is better in this regard.)
Laurie
Feb 18, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you saw the movie, please read the book. Classic sci-fi, combining clever ideas and people you care about.
Blagoy Nikolov
Гордън е единак, оцелял - скитник в свят, разрушен от последната световна война. Въпреки дългите години, през които е пребродил огромни територии, изхранвайки се като пътуващ артист, видял е повсеместното опустошение, той не е предал романтичните си идеали от миналото и продължава да живее според тях. Това, разбира се, му носи много повече негативи и в един момент той се оказва на ръба на смъртта, само с окъсаната риза на гърба си. В този момент съдбата му се усмихва и той намира униформата и чу ...more
Florin Purluca
Feb 21, 2017 Florin Purluca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I-am dat patru stele pentru că ideea ranforsaților a fost puțin cam întârziată - probabil apărută pe parcursul creației, după cunoscutul și enervantul blocaj artistic îndurtat de fiecare autor, la un moment dat - și pentru că din acel moment m-am prins care urma să fie asul din mânecă. În rest, consider că este o carte bună. Câteva legături cu istoria din lumea reală, care au dat credibilitate acțiunii, răsturnări de situație, lupte și tot soiul de alte artificii nelipsite dintr-o carte bună.
Mi
Thom
Mar 19, 2017 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book won two awards and was nominated for two more, is included on several "best" lists, and was made into a movie. The first half is build from two award winning novellas. Unfortunately, the second half of this book left me with the postage due.

The first half is very good. Gordon is a wandering troubadour, surviving from town-to-town in post-apocalyptic America. After being bushwacked and losing much of his kit, he stumbles on a wrecked mail delivery jeep and adds "postman" to his many rol
Ross
Mar 18, 2012 Ross rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked. It disappointed me in so many ways.

1. To glorify lying to vast numbers of people is, in my book, never a good idea. If I were the people he lied to the entire book I would hunt him down myself. False hope is NOT better than NO hope. It's arguably worse, due to the fact that once found out, it leaves the person with less than they started. Negative hope.

2. He's a man whore. The dude sleeps with any woman that shows interest, and the only reason he doesn't have sex with the final
Roger
Oct 18, 2009 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Again with my interest in post-apocalyptic stories. I guess I’m always a sucker for man stripped of all his contrivance and forced back to earlier software build. It’s kinda like reinstalling the OS for the world, I guess.

The Postman must not be confused in any way with the Kevin Costner adaptation for screen. While that one did a decent job of capturing some of the visuals, the emotion of the story seems bleached out.

In brief, our hero is a survivor in a fractured post nuclear war United States
2017 Reading Chal...: The Postman by David Brin 1 11 May 08, 2016 11:51AM
Books2Movies Club: The Postman - the book and the movie 1 25 Mar 02, 2015 12:09PM
Apocalypse Whenev...: Do you know any 18 yo's this educated? 3 22 May 17, 2013 10:27AM
Guy's Book Club: The Postman 1 6 Apr 03, 2013 07:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Postman 1 4 Jan 20, 2012 09:34AM
Apocalypse Whenever: JULY discussion: THE POSTMAN, PART ONE 42 56 Jul 09, 2011 01:21PM
  • A Gift Upon the Shore
  • The Wild Shore (Three Californias Triptych, #1)
  • Eternity Road
  • Malevil
  • Earth Abides
  • Emergence
  • Level 7
  • The Protector's War (Emberverse, #2)
  • Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • Alas, Babylon
  • The Sheep Look Up
  • The Last Ship
  • Warday
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

“Snow and soot covered the ancient tree's broken branches and seared bark. It wasn't dead, not quite yet. Here and there tiny shoots of green struggled to emerge, but they weren't doing well. The end was near.
A shadow loomed, and a creature settled into the drifts, and old, wounded thing of the skies, as near death as the tree.
Pinions drooping, it laboriously began building a nest--a place of dying. Stick by stick, it pecked among the ruined wood on the ground, piling the bits higher until it was clear that it was not a nest at all.
It was a pyre.
The bloody, dying thing settled in atop the kindling, and crooned soft music unlike anything ever heard before. A glow began to build, surrounding the beast soon in a rich purple lambience. Blue flames burst forth.
And the tree seemed to respond. Aged, ruined branches curled forward toward the heat, like an old man warming his hands. Snow shivered and fell, the green patches grew and began to fill the air with the fragrance of renewal
It was not the creature on the pyre that was reborn, and even in sleep, that surprised Gordon. The great bird was consumed, leaving only bones.
But the tree blossomed, and from its flowering branches things uncurled and drifted off into the air.
He stared in wonderment when he saw that they were balloons, airplanes, and rocket ships. Dreams.
They floated away in all directions, and the air was filled with hope.”
2 likes
“He approached the great glass barrier dividing the room, and the speaker at the end of the table. "Cyclops?" he whispered, stepping closer, clearing his tight throat, "Cyclops, it's me, Gordon."
The glow in the pearly lens was subdued. But the row of little lights still flashed--a complex pattern that repeated over and over like an urgent message from a distant ship in some lost code--ever, hypnotically, the same.
Gordon felt a frantic dread rise within him, as when, during his boyhood, he had encountered his grandfather lying perfectly still on the porch swing, and feared to find that the beloved old man had died.
The pattern of lights repeated, over and over.
Gordon wondered. How many people would recall, after the hell of the last seventeen years, that the parity displays of a great supercomputer never repeated themselves? Gordon remembered a cyberneticist friend telling him the patterns of light were like snowflakes, none ever the same as any other.
"Cyclops," he said evenly, "Answer me! I demand you answer--in the name of decency! In the name of the United St--"
He stopped. He couldn't bring himself to meet this lie with another. Here, the only living mind he would fool would be himself.
The room was warmer than it had seemed during his interview. He looked for, and found, the little vents through which cool air could be directed at a visitor seated in the guest chair, giving an impression of great cold just beyond the glass wall.
"Dry ice," he muttered, "to fool the citizens of Oz.”
2 likes