Start by marking “Por qué odio Saturno (Colección Vertigo #114)” as Want to Read:
Por qué odio Saturno (Colección Vertigo #114)

Por qué odio Saturno (Colección Vertigo #114)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  634 ratings  ·  66 reviews
"¿Por qué odio Saturno?" convirtió a Kyle Barker en uno de los autores más admirados del cómic americano.
Ahora tienes la ocasión de conocer su obra en un tomo recopilatorio en tapa dura, donde las historias urbanas de este autor corren entre el blanco, el negro y los suaves marrones.
Hardcover, Colección Vertigo #114 (descatalogado), 206 pages
Published March 2000 by Norma Editorial (Vertigo Comics) (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Por qué odio Saturno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Por qué odio Saturno

Melki
I realize a graphic novel that's virtually nothing but dialogue isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed this one.

Anne and her platonic friend Ricky hang out in clubs, making snide comments and complaining about everyone and everything. They say all that stuff I'd like to say, but don't manage to think of til 20 minutes too late. One day, Anne's sister shows up at her apartment, and suddenly everything she used to whine about doesn't seem that important anymore.

Considering this book was publish
George Marshall
A disappointment- this is often rated highly in graphic novel reviews and I can see that it is a significant book in the genre, but it really isn't much good. The fast-talking smart-ass witticisms in the writing are laboured and unrealistic, the characters are exaggerated and unreal and did not involve me. It felt like a bad sitcom that needed a laughter track to make it entertaining. The joke about Saturn is never really justified or even fully incorporated into the story,and the bizarre switch ...more
Federiken Masters
Sigo sin saber por qué hay que odiar a Saturno, pero cada vez estoy más convencido de que hay que amar a los personajes de Kyle Baker. Espero que no sea tarde para una adaptación cinematográfica (fiel, por favor) con Julia Louis-Dreyfus como Anne.
Dominick
Very enjoyable, very unconventional graphic novel. Anne's nutty sister thinks she's from Saturn (why? who knows? ends up not really mattering at all) and is being pursued by a former boyfriend mad to kill her. Anne's a writer who can't produce material. They end up in a sort of noir/sort of screwball comedy adventure that features mostly witty dialogue and clever jokes, but also has a rocket launcher and massive violence at the climax. It doesn't quite work fully, but Baker gets credit for innov ...more
Caroline
An odd little relationship/action indie-comic that doesn't actually have anything to do with space (that I can tell). The heroine is a bit like the misbegotten spawn of "Sex & the City"'s Carrie Bradshaw and MTV's Daria. While I enjoyed her rather misanthropic voice, and some of the genuinely wild antics she gets up to with her sister, the book is a bit too dominated by relationship humor that is either dated (I'm not sure to WHEN) or just plain unfunny. This was a fun enough read, and it we ...more
Kat
This is a highly-respected, influential graphic novel originally published in 1990. I was completely underwhelmed by its pre-hipster hipster-y dialogue and uneven, wildly seesawing storyline. All of the main characters were insufferable, often changing personalities in mid-stream with only perfunctory set-up as to why. It may have been a game-changer in comics at the time it came out, but there are much better offerings today that one could spend his or her free time reading.
Dave Riley
Smart. Witty. Savvy. Dorothy Parker like comic. Engaging story. Beautiful line work. Sophisticated relationships in the New York style. Satirical of the scenes. Loved it.
Paul
OK, now this, this was funny!
The art perfectly matches the story and the story is so "out there" that you just can't help thinking... "no way!" then a little voice in your head just goes "way"
Jason
It's unsettling that so many of the societal issues (gender relations, race, environmentalism) that Baker addressed in 1990 are still issues we're wrestling with nearly 25 years later. Kinda makes you wonder if we're every going to make any progress more dramatic than occasional baby steps. Baker's got some really astute observations, though.
A bit of a deus ex machina at the end there, but I suppose the external plot is less what the book is really meant to be about, so, um, that makes it okay?
Robert Beveridge
Kyle Baker, Why I Hate Saturn (Vertigo, 1990)

Kyle Baker is one of the granddaddies of the American graphic novel movement; one only has to look back at Why I Hate Saturn, published eighteen years ago, to see that. Now that the graphic novel has become a much more accepted medium, it's time for us all to go back and check out Baker's work and see that literature-quality graphic novels have been there for us all along; we just didn't realize it.

The story: neurotic New York hipster's life is taken
Trebro
If you stripped his name off the book and took off the cover, I defy you to figure out this is a Kyle Baker book. It has none of his signature art style going on and it's drawn rather like a daily comic strip instead of a graphic novel. Each page has two sets of "strips" that vary in panel length, with a few exceptions along the way. The people look realistic and the plot is even more serious than I'd expect from a book called "Why I Hate Saturn."

The story itself is something of a thriller, whic
Paul Dinger
I bought and read, well actually devoured, this book when it first came out. It is a comic book that I literally read until it fell apart. I loved it that much. I bought a new edition and brought it to the first comic con I ever went too, and Kyle Baker, a very nice man who I loved meeting, signed and even did a drawing in. This is the story of a wierd girl named Anne Merkel who has an even weirder sister who thinks she is from Saturn. She is a best friend who doesn't know what race he is, and i ...more
Lynne
Jun 26, 2007 Lynne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, but east coasters and New Yorkers especially
I first read this book a decade ago, and, after loaning it out and not getting it back many times, I finally just stocked up on them. Whenever I need a good pick me up, I read it again.

This is a graphic novel with a great and intelligent plot. It is true that New Yorkers especially will get some more of the humor. The bits about having not driving rang especially true to me at the time.

There is a lot of plot moving through conversations between Anne and Ricky, two of the main characters, which
Mark Schlatter
A mixed bag for me --- I have always loved Baker's social commentary (in this case, on gender relations, race relations, and crappy bars), and the dialogue is very funny. But the plot (Anne's sister who thinks she's from Saturn visits and brings along the baggage of past relationships) feels like it is shoe-horned in with a few too many surrealistic touches for me.
Adam
Kyle Baker is maybe the funniest person working in comics (Evan Dorkin gives him a run for his money). He's also a fantastic caricaturist. And this book is one of the better examples of both those facts.

This is the story of two, nearly estranged, sisters and how they manage to work their way back into a relationship. This one-sentence synopsis leaves out some important plot points like: murder, a cross-country chase, and the possibility that one of the sisters is from outer space, but that migh
Kate
I found this going through my stuff although it's not mine. I believe it's my father's which is bizarre. Anyway I just finished it and was really surprised. Really good! Although I felt the subject of conversations between Rick and Anne sometimes seemed a little of the "dating-is-hard" kind of drama that I'm a little tired of. I loved Anne's view of New Yorkers versus Californians. I still love living in California, but good points there. Ha. :) The characters were wonderfully fleshed out, very ...more
Datsun
Nov 18, 2007 Datsun rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Seinfeld fans, maybe
Shelves: comix
Is it a little dated? Looking back on it after 12 years, some of the fashions seem a little dated, but that also speaks to the specificity of the art. Sure, the John Romita Spider-Man pages from the 70s were great, but apart from the odd pair of bell bottoms, there was nothing to let you know that it wasn't 1950 or 1980. This book is a specific image of a specific time.

It's also funny in multiple ways. Yes, the situation is clever, the dialogue is witty, and the illustrations are vibrant. But th
Zack
Recently reread this underrated masterpiece. Kyle Baker takes a hilarious piss-take on late-80s attitudes about NY vs. LA in this tale of an alcoholic, overrated magazine writer whose hippie-dippie sister shows up from the West Coast on the run and convinced she's from Saturn. The story escalates, combining the insane arguments between the ladies to an increasingly desolate goose-chase to Califorinia to a climax that just barely prefigured THELMA AND LOUISE. Certain parts of this belong in a tim ...more
John
I found the art captivating and the story pretty good, but a couple rough patches kind of took away total enjoyment.
James Schneider
This is the first novel by Kyle Baker that I have had the pleasure of reading. His combination of visual and textual storytelling on display here is flooring; frankly, it's a shock to the system to be presented with something this fresh, and to realize that it's a work that is twenty years old. Why I Hate Saturn is witty and clever, reads effortlessly despite (because of) it's novel format, idiosyncratic in a way that makes it universal, specific to race, class, and station. It is bursting at th ...more
Mallika Soni
Surely one of the best graphic novels. Its amazing.
Denali
I couldnt believe there was a graphic novel about a terminally grumpy 20something woman in New York with no valid ID!!
I really enjoyed parts of this but was a little disappointed by the ending. maybe it wasnt long enough, maybe the set pieces were better than the plot pieces, its hard to say.
I did enjoy holding late 80s NYC up to today and there were some amazing biting insights that made me want to photocopy pages & mail them to friends...except i didnt want to mess up the binding b/c i ret
Mike Sgier
This is the first Kyle Baker book I've read, I enjoyed it, but wasn't completely floored (not that I had to be). I really like his drawing style, his characters are expressive and gestural, especially in the super close ups he uses, and I thought his juxtaposition of images with the dialogue was an innovative use of the comic medium. The various plot threads, however, seemed a bit disparate, and while the ending was satisfying, the observations of mid-'80s New York life through Anne's story were ...more
Víctor Segovia
Simplemente genial la novela gráfica. Si han leído anteriormente a este autor, esta obra no los defraudará en ningún momento, más si consideramos el humor, la premisa de la historia y sus personajes. Anne y su hermana Laura están fuera de este mundo.
Rahadyan
I first read Kyle Baker's Why I Hate Saturn 18 years ago. It's a quirky graphic novel that combines snarky insights into urban bar culture and relationships with crime dramedy. I could have easily seen this as a miniseries with Annie Potts, Jane Wiedlin and Blair Underwood as the leads back then. Oh, and the fact that an interractial relationship central to the novel is treated as "No big deal, it's a New York thing" is something I found heartening, speaking as a veteran of the 80's and 90's dat ...more
Shivering William
This is one of the best graphic novels I've read in a while. It has all the brilliant characterization and dialogue of Box Office Poison, and it was made nearly a decade before.

I love the main character. Anne Merkel is on a never-ending mission to do as little as humanly possible and still be rewarded for it. She's believable and fascinating to watch.

I'm going to read everything by Baker I can get my hands on.
Rosa
Normally I love Kyle Barker, especially his plastic man stuff, but this didn't really seem like his typical humor stuff. This was more of a serious work. The heroine was sarcastic and funny in her way, but what made the graphic novel enjoyable was how gritty and lost she and the other characters were. Not what I was expecting, but still a good read.
Bryan Worra
Why I Hate Saturn is an under-rated all-time classic and is the work of a younger Kyle Baker at his best. It's a hilarious, twisted romp that's rung all too familiar in my own life over the years, and for the right reader, I can't help but give it my highest recommendations. One of the greater influences on my own work, but that's a whole different story...
pollyanna patel
i liked this book enough to return to it every year.
  • To the Heart of the Storm
  • The Ballad of Halo Jones
  • Moebius 2: Arzach & Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • Alec: The Years Have Pants
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1
  • The Tale of One Bad Rat
  • Hicksville
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 7: Eben and Stella
Nat Turner Plastic Man, Vol. 1: On the Lam! You are Here The Cowboy Wally Show Plastic Man, Vol. 2: Rubber Bandits