Start by marking “The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American American Stories Since 1970” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  828 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Selected from a survey of more than 200 English professors, award-winning short-story writers, novelists, and fiction workshop directors, a remarkable collection of North American literature written since 1970.

Includes:

This is what it means to say Phoenix, Arizona by Sherman Alexie
Death by landscape by Margaret Atwood
Raymond's run by Toni Cade Bambara
Sarah Cole : a type of
Published December 6th 1999 by Touchstone Books (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction

Myles
Jan 29, 2016 Myles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need I write anything at all? Simply look at the authors collected here - the variety and quality is astounding. Tbe best of what the English language had to offer in literary short fiction from 1970 to 1999.

Are all the stories life-changing works of art that will stay with you forever?

No, but I guarantee that there is no better anthology out there coming close to this one - there is truly something for everyone here and undoubted proof of the power of the short story.
Sam
Oct 14, 2012 Sam rated it did not like it
Thank you for depressing me over and over again.
Edan
Jan 25, 2008 Edan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and students of fiction writing
This is the second edition, which I'm going to be teaching from. Except for a few of the same stories from the last version, this is a totally different book!

***

I didn't read through the first edition quite so exhaustively as I did with this second edition, so it's unfair of me to say which one is better. I didn't like all the stories in this book, but many of them ask some interesting questions regarding structure, character, point of view--that is, they're useful for teaching, and learning.

So
Jacqueline West
Feb 05, 2009 Jacqueline West rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this on one of those bargain racks at Waldenbooks, and man, was it worth the $4.99. For a collection this large, the quality is consistently excellent, and almost all of the modern masters of the short story are represented: Raymond Carver, Lorrie Moore, Alice Munro, Joyce Carol Oates, Sherman Alexie, etc. It would have been well worth the price just for the sake of Annie Proulx's "Brokeback Mountain," Richard Bausch's "The Man Who Knew Belle Starr," and Reginald McKnight's "The Kind of ...more
Tracy
Jan 29, 2009 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
50 short stories. I couldn't get through two of them. However, there were four that were so beautifully written they made my heart ache. I plan on using several of them in the classroom for my students. Two things were great about this book: the fact I didn't stay up until 3am reading and I have a slew of other books I want/need to read written by some of these authors.
Michael
Dec 25, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is probably the best deal I've ever gotten. One book, fifty stories by fifty writers. While none of the stories in here blew me away, all of them are very good and they are a good introduction to a lot of great writers that I hope to read more from. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants an easy way to be exposed to a lot of good writing.
Stefanie
Most of these stories were fantastic. This is not only a collection of entertaining stories but also a collection of instructive stories. I will definitely refer back to this volume often. There were a few duds in my opinion, so I'm curious to know why those stories were selected for the anthology.
Jeff Lanter
This is a pretty strong collection of short stories, some of which I had already read in various fiction workshops. It is impossible to collect the best works or to satisfy every reader, but I felt like this collection tries to get a lot of different authors both culturally and aesthetically. I thought the beginning and middle stories were stronger than the last third for whatever reason. If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be The Caretaker. It is hands down one of the most powerful st ...more
Liz Mourant
Mar 13, 2012 Liz Mourant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This anthology, at the halfway mark, has already surpassed my expectations held out for a prime cut of anthologized meat! Inside my book, I felt the need to distinguish the very best of stories with underliner and checks as they were stellar examples of craft. Yet, nearly every story inside this book is a winner and a delight to feast one's imagination and desires for fulfilling fiction within. Joyous, but not wholly from joy...often from dailiness, sorrowing, and variegated jousts with the stuf ...more
Natalie
My advanced fiction class used this as a textbook in college; we read various selections and discussed them in class when we weren't work-shopping our peers' stories. As a new writer just beginning to get serious about writing, this collection offered a variety of stories told in different styles that helped me understand individual writers' voices. Though short, these stories are complex; each time I read one, I draw something new from it, something that I overlooked on previous readings.

About
Teresa
Mar 03, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
As with any collection like this, you will love some and there will be others that you don't care for nearly as much.

Unfortunately, there are some in the beginning (it's set up alphabetically by author) that I've forgotten about. So the ones I do remember from the beginning were quite memorable (obviously) and I'll include those in what I think are the 5-star stories (though I've probably missed some as well):

John Barth's "Click," Donald Barthelme's "The School," Raymond Carver's "Errand," Juno
Bob
May 24, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes after reading too many novels I find a short-story collection to be just the break I need. I'm always looking for hidden treasures no matter what I read. When there is such a variety of authors and writing styles I know I'm bound to find some real gems. I gave four or five stars to ten of these fifty stories. (That's 10% as compared 38% of fiction and nonfiction books. At least I know I can finish a short story without thinking afterwards that I've wasted a whole lot of time.) My favor ...more
Jim
Jun 23, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story fans
A great collection of short stories. My only complaint is that i'd read many of the short-stories previously. I can't say i love every story in this collection. This is quite the eclectic group of stories and one out of three stories is incredible.

Some of my favorites in the book:
Richard, Mark: Strays
Oates, Joyce Carol: Ghost Girl
Hempel, Amy: In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson Is Buried
O'Brien, Tim: Th
David Contreras
May 17, 2012 David Contreras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Probably one of the better short story anthologies I've read (still have the Oxford and Ecco anthology left). Starts off incredibly strong, meanders for a bit, gets interesting again, then boring, then great, then really great, and then finishes strong. So, your typical anthology.

Absolute favorites:

"The Caretaker," Anthony Doerr
"Communist," Richard
Kateragan
Jul 27, 2008 Kateragan rated it it was amazing
I love this anthology and recommend it to anyone who has half a stomach for short stories. One of my favorite stories is "White Angel," it has phrases like "all velvet motherliness." It is a stunning piece of fiction. I also enjoyed "Silver Water" , "Customs of the Country" , "Brokeback Mountain" , "The Things they Carried" , "In the Cemetery where Al Jolson is Buried" , "Rock Springs" , "Tall Tales from the Mekong Delta" , "The Man who Knew Belle Star", "Wild Horses" "Sarah Cole: A Type of Love ...more
Oct 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading a massive collection and being introduced to new authors and read stories that reinforced the ones I already admire. Interesting that while these stories are supposed to cover the 1970s to now that most of these stories were published in the 1990s and 2000s while a few were published in the 1980s and no later. Faves here are the stories by Antonya Nelson, Steve Yarborough, Stacey Richter, Daniel Orozco, Julie Orringer, ZZ Packer, George Saunders, Tim O'Brien (of course), Denis John ...more
Sharon
Used this in an Olli discussion group lead by Paula Watson - wonderful!
christopher
this book is exceptionally good for killing flies
Tanara McCauley
Mar 11, 2016 Tanara McCauley rated it it was ok
A few great stories in here.
Mell
Oct 12, 2014 Mell rated it really liked it
Some great stories.
Stefani Sanchez
Jul 23, 2014 Stefani Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been filled with many meaningful (and sometimes not) stories. I have enjoyed sharing the information about the author's, their works, and their possible thought processes as they wrote. I am not sure that anthologies are my favorite, but it has most definitely been an interesting ride. I found a few new favorite authors here, Joyce Carol Oates and Melanie Rae Thon. Nice to read if you are looking for something that will have you wondering what the h@#$!

s.m. k.
Jun 11, 2012 s.m. k. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several stories by authors with very different styles. I think the diversity of styles is a strength of the book. I bought this book for a creative writing course and have read many (but not all) of the stories in it. Those familiar with the world of short story writing will recognize several names. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in reading quality short stories or writing them.

I have yet to determine who my favorites are in this format.
Komal
Apr 07, 2011 Komal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this anthology - I love short fiction so this was right up my alley.

Some of these I had already read before and I loved seeing them in this anthology again...the ones I can remember off the top of my head are Barthelme, Diaz, Lahiri, and O'Brien.

I enjoyed seeing Mukherjee and Tan included in here as well.

I think it's great bc it's diverse (it should be it's long!) and really a collection of some of the best pieces out there.
Katy Wilmotte
May 14, 2016 Katy Wilmotte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the fifty I probably read 15 of these, so perhaps I missed a gem or two, but overall I hated this collection. Literary fiction is not my genre, apparently, as I found most of these stories to be either depressing, creepy, inappropriate, or just boring. And after a few stories they all (to me) started to sound the same. Exceptions were 'The Hermit's Tale' and 'Relief' which I actually rather enjoyed.

Morgan Williams
Apr 28, 2007 Morgan Williams rated it liked it
Shelves: literaryfiction
This isn't a bad collection to have if you want to familiarize yourself with contemporary North American literary fiction. It isn't my favorite by a long way, and it includes some disappointingly mediocre stories. But there are one or two, like Sherman Alexie's This Is What It Means To Say Phoenix, Arizona, or Kate Braverman's Tall Tales From The Mekong Delta which are worth having the book for.
Amy
Jun 25, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the 50 stories in this collection, I marked 17 of them as an "X" which means I really didn't like them, and 6 as "-" which means they were okay. The rest were really good, some quite original. I am planning to use this inexpensive anthology in my Intro. to Lit. class. I love short stories and many of these stories and authors were new to me which was refreshing.
Jan 25, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I'm just starting to read short fiction, and this anthology introduced me to many of the big names in the genre. If you haven't read "Sarah Cole: A Type of Love Story" by Russell Banks, or "Sea Oak" by George Saunders, or "Stone Animals" by Kelly Link, or "Jealous Husband Returns in Form of Parrot" by Robert Olen Butler, or "Caviar" by T.C. Boyle...
Beth
May 21, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories
I liked the concept of this book: short stories selected to show people how to write short stories. The selections by Amy Hempel, Lorrie Moore, Lee Smith, and Susan Sontag were brilliant as usual. My favorite new finds were Customs of the Country, Cold Snap, The Kind of Light that Shines on Texas, Strays, and 1955.
Ben
Mar 05, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories are all worth reading, but I particularly liked:

Sarah Cole: A Type of Love Story
Nineteen Fifty-five
Kelly
Sep 23, 2007 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: collections
Good selection. Contains pieces by the big names --Atwood, Carver, Cisneros, Dybek, Jamaica Kincaid. This has one of my favorite short stories in it: David Barthelme's "The School." The editors did a good job of selecting women and people of color, IMO. (I picked this up to reread Dybek's Pet Milk this evening and then kept on going.)
Goodreads Librari...: Cover page showing two different covers 6 97 Nov 12, 2013 01:54PM
stories in this book 1 12 Oct 18, 2008 08:25PM
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Short Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 2004
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
  • The Best American Short Stories of the Century
  • The Best American Short Stories 2005
  • The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • You've Got to Read This: Contemporary American Writers Introduce Stories that Held Them in Awe
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact Sixth Edition
  • The Ecco Anthology of Contemporary American Short Fiction
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • The Best American Short Stories 2010 (The Best American Series)
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • The Best American Short Stories 2006
  • The Best American Short Stories 2002
  • A Kind of Flying: Selected Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 2009
  • The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2012: Including stories by John Berger, Wendell Berry, Anthony Doerr, Lauren Groff, Yi

“When someone you have loved dies, you accept the fact of his or her death, but then the person goes on living in your memory, dreams, and reveries. You have imaginary conversations with him or her, you see something striking and remind yourself to tell your loved one about it and then get brought up short by the knowledge of the fact of his or her death, and at night, in your sleep, the dead person visits you.” 1 likes