Start by marking “The Prentice Hall Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy” as Want to Read:
The Prentice Hall Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy

The Prentice Hall Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This one volume anthology explores the last two hundred years of Science Fiction and Fantasy--featuring women and men authors of various ethnic backgrounds, and a range of both traditional canonical literature and popular culture. Designed to heighten interest in a fun and exciting topic, this book will lead readers to meaningful intellectual, social, and historic investig ...more
Published July 28th 2000 by Longman Publishing Group

Be the first to ask a question about The Prentice Hall Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy

I'm only reading the section on Science Fiction for my Sci-Fi film and literature class.

After completing the sci-fi stories, I have to admit, I enjoyed the collection. Geeky? Oh yes. But it's also interesting from a social commentary standpoint. One can really tell what the world (or in most cases, America) was thinking about at different times, since the stories are arranged chronologically. The amount of nuclear destruction during the Cold War is, well, big.
This is an eclectic collection, including some excellent and some . . . interesting selections. It’s generally much better on SF than fantasy, its selection of which shows very little range and some very variable quality. It des get credit for including "pulp" authors like Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. However, no Tolkien? And fantast is mostly limited to horror-type stuff and high fantasy-type stuff; no magic realism or postmodern fantasy.
This was a wonderful compilation. This book spanned the early SciFi and Dark Fantasy and led almost to modern times. The only drawback with this collection is that there was no "newer" fiction or fantasy. I agree with every piece in this book, I just think some should be added.
One of the best introductions to scie3nce fiction and fantasy literature I have read in a long time. Highly recommended!
Anybody interested in genre fiction should own and have read this collections. That simple.
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Cecy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Joseph Knowles
Joseph Knowles is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
Adrian Cruz
Adrian Cruz marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Terry marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Kuzko marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Lilly added it
Nov 03, 2014
Bianca Borsch
Bianca Borsch marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014