Start by marking “More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)” as Want to Read:
More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)

More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Based on a real-life character, More Joy in Heaven is a gripping account of the tragic plight of young Kip Caley, a notorious bank-robber released early from prison and feted by society as a returning prodigal son.

Earnest, optimistic, and fired by reformist zeal, Kip eventually comes to realize that the welcome of his supporters is superficial and that their charity is dri
Mass Market Paperback, 200 pages
Published July 1st 1992 by New Canadian Library (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about More Joy in Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Joy in Heaven

1.1
Callaghan is consistently a surprisingly good writer. I still have a bit of a prejudice against him for the fact he was writing Canlit in the '30s, because I assume that it'll be boring, moralistic, or stodgy in some other way. Never am I right in asserting that, and my initial misgivings turn into pleasure as I find myself enjoying the book. Such Is My Beloved, for instance, I was wary of... it redeemed itself. This book is at least twice as good.

And it's not like I hate the 1930's - some of my
Paula Dembeck
This novel, published in the mid 1930s, is considered to be one of Callaghan’s best. He tells an interesting story based on the experience of a real life criminal and through the story leads the reader to consider some important questions about individual freedom as well as societal questions of parole reform.

The novel was inspired by Norman Ryan, a man who committed a number of robberies in Quebec, Ontario and the United States. While in prison he underwent a transformation with the help of a p
Hannah Law
More Joy in Heaven was not a read I picked out for myself. Thank you public school.

The first time reading More Joy in Heaven, I found it very hard to become immersed in Kip Caley's story as a parolee newly released from prison. To me, the plot seemed lethargic and slow, the characters nonrelational, and even Kip's ultimate failure failed to touch me. However, on the second time around, I began to appreciate Morley Callaghan's deceptively simple tale.

More Joy in Heaven centres around a seemingly
David
I read this book based on critics' reviews, which usually works. Because he was allowed to hang around Hemingway in Paris and imitated his style, I thought I would discover and enjoyable talent--the emphasis here being on "enjoyable". I even made it a point of buying it in Canada where Morley hails from and writes about. I suggest reading all of Hemingway before bothering with Callaghan.
Falina
I liked this book, especially the ending, but it was so overwhelmingly negative that it left a bad taste in my mouth. The only one who is cheerful, optimistic, and self-confident is the tragic victim of the story.

Why are so many classics about what a dark place the world is and how flawed people are? It's the reason I have a hard time liking "good" books and gravitate towards mysteries, romance, and fantasy. Why do "realistic" novels have to be so damned depressing?

"In the even, timeless flow t
Brad
This book was great. Morley Callaghan is 2/2 with me. I'd read Such Is My Beloved a few years ago and it was my favorite for a period of time. Like that book, More Joy In Heaven deals with faith - faith in oneself, faith placed in one by the community, and faith the faith one has in others. Interesting ideas on violence as well. Well paced, and full of fleshed out seedy characters. An excellent book. Morley Callaghan is the best. He knocked out Hemingway.
Ibis3
Fuck. I just lost the page long review I just gave this book. Hit save and it just hung there forever. My own fault. ALWAYS MAKE A COPY BEFORE YOU TRY SUBMITTING A REVIEW. I'm too upset to try recreating it right now. Fuck.
Whiskeyb
I liked it okay but the main character was kind of predictable or unbelieveable or something.
Alexis
May 05, 2010 Alexis added it
Shelves: 2010
Read for Roughing it in the books.

Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Ambdhart
Ambdhart marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Alaa
Alaa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Edward Morley Callaghan (February 22 1903 -- August 25 1990) was a Canadian novelist, short story writer, playwright, television and radio personality.
Of Irish parentage, Callaghan was born and raised in Toronto. He was educated at Riverdale Collegiate Institute, the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall Law School, though he never practised law. During the 1920s he worked at the Toronto Daily S
More about Morley Callaghan...
Such Is My Beloved That Summer in Paris They Shall Inherit the Earth A Time for Judas The Loved and the Lost