Start by marking “The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories

The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Sinclair Ross’ 1941 novel As For Me and My House is a masterpiece of Canadian literature, a stunning evocation of the Prairies and their inhabitants during the Depression of the Thirties. With The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories, an original New Canadian Library collection, Ross reveals further dimensions of his fictional universe.

A woman’s impulsive infidelity leads to tra
Published November 1st 1988 by New Canadian Library (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories

Colin
I guess I shouldn't expect a whole lot of happy stories from the author of As For Me and My House .... On the other hand, this is great writing. The first story and "One's a Heifer" are rather disturbing. "Cornet at Night" is probably my favourite story - and the most uplifting story of the bunch.
Kailin
I read this collection for the Painted Door - which i read as a teenager. it is still one of the most hauntingly amazing stories i have ever read. it quietly spells out the anger, the loneliness and the rage that the prairie can make you feel.
Ira
Sep 08, 2012 Ira added it
Read the "The Painted Door" from this book after hearing how another book I'm going to read (Tell It to the Trees by Anita Rau Badami) has echoes of this.

I may be reading more short stories from the book, as I did like the one I read.
Nykea
The Painted Door stands out as the most memorable story in the anthology. Ultra Canadian and dramatic, a story of infidelity and mediocrity.
Jeff Laughlin
Grossly simple, I read but was not enthralled. Don't be surprised if I change my thoughts later after giving this another try, but this one noted me.
Stephanie Barber
To me, these stories are just typical depression era stories of life on the prairies.
Jill Hyson-Whitty
Read the short story the painted door. It was thought provoking and I loved it.
Ibis3
Aug 02, 2010 Ibis3 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NCL.2006-10-01
Graeme
Graeme marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Laurin
Laurin marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jagan
Jagan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Dina Skvirsky
Dina Skvirsky marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Bige
Bige marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Manveer Dhindsa
Manveer Dhindsa is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Aashdeep Brar
Aashdeep Brar marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Aimee
Aimee added it
Aug 18, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Jul 29, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Susie
Susie added it
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
As for Me and My House Sawbones Memorial The Race and Other Stories by Sinclair Ross The Well Whir of Gold