Start by marking “The Grunt Padre: Father Vincent Robert Capodanno Vietnam 1966-1967” as Want to Read:
The Grunt Padre: Father Vincent Robert Capodanno Vietnam 1966-1967

The Grunt Padre: Father Vincent Robert Capodanno Vietnam 1966-1967

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This is the story of a Catholic Priest and a Naval Chaplain who served his Marines but it is also their stories that make it so real. Do you know of a Vietnam veteran struggling with his Faith after witnessing the horrors of war? Do you have a son or nephew serving in the military and facing an uncertain future in a troubled world? Here is a book to help them see how a Chr ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by CMJ Marian Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Grunt Padre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grunt Padre

Suzanne
"I know and swear there are living chapels in Vince's name. 'Those grunts' saw Christ when they saw Vince. This may appear like pious rhetoric but I have been a priest too long not to comprehend how people react when sentences are used to tell people the happening of an event. When those 'grunts' learned of Vince's death, it was pathetic to watch their reactions. A lump came to my throat, Pauline, and I know I'm a tough man emotionally."

The above quote was from a letter Chaplain Thomas J. Woolt
Louis Joseph
Jan 20, 2016 Louis Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an exceptional book about a very holy man, a priest tending to the spiritual needs of his Marines in Vietnam. Before I begin let me say that nothing in this world happens without God's knowledge, direction, order or God letting it happen for a reason. We all have free will but if God does not want it to happen it does not happen. Yes, there is such a thing as probability and outcome but it is up to God. In God's plan we are not God. We only report for duty to carry out His plan. God has ...more
Ann
Dec 15, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-books
This was an inspiring read. The author chronicles the early life as well as the education and preparation of Fr. Capodanno for the mission field. Fr. Capodanno started out in Taiwan as a missionary after 6 years of intense preparation. He didn't seem to really find his niche in missions until he chose to ask for a transfer to become a marine chaplain.The vocation of Marine chaplain was perfect for him ... he had such a Godly compassion for his fellow Marines who he served during the Vietnam War ...more
Karen
Jan 22, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
I had wanted to read this book for about 2 years, ever since i heard about the subject, Father Vincent Capodanno, a priest who became a Navy chaplain in order to volunteer in Vietnam during the war there. I am glad I was able to read it finally, and honored to know more about Father Capodanno's selflessness and sacrifice for others. However, the book itself reads more like a report than a good biography. I believe it was first written as the author's thesis project and fleshed out later for publ ...more
Brian Boru
Feb 05, 2014 Brian Boru rated it it was amazing
A most inspiring telling of a most inspiring Chaplain and Priest. I believe this would be a great read for anyone wanting to invest themselves in a story of heroism, especially for the person who has seen the horrors of war up close.
Joe
Mar 01, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
This is an inspiring story in many ways, and not just for soldiers or Catholics. It is quick and easy to read, although somewhat sparse in the details. I would be interested in reading a more comprehensive biography of Fr. Capodanno.
Mary Leonard
Nov 02, 2013 Mary Leonard rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful and poignant biography of a humble priest from Staten Island, who was killed in Vietnam while tending to a wounded Marine. At times I could not put the book down. It flows from Fr. Capodanno's childhood to his years as a Maryknoll missionary and to his final journey as a US Marine. It also sensitively reflects on how he felt when he would visit the US, only to hear protests from friends and neighbors.
Joseph
Sep 25, 2014 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a very moving book. Being Catholic and having lived on Staten Island most of my life, I'm ashamed I didn't know more about this good man until now. Thank you Father Mode for an excellent book.
Tom
Oct 31, 2011 Tom rated it it was amazing
The story of Father Vincent Capodanno, awarded the Medal of Honor, posthumously. The story of how he dedicated his life to God and gave it up for his fellow man.
Marylou
Jun 27, 2009 Marylou rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marylou by: Ed Jones
Learning about the Maryknoll Missionaries in Vietnam. Fr. Vincent R. Capodanno a chaplain in Vietnam is Blessed now ...
Claire
Mar 03, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about Father Capodanno. A must read!!!!!
Odalys
Odalys rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Tammy Weber
Tammy Weber is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Dean Bradshaw
Dean Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Meeklyreader
Meeklyreader rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Theresa Booker
Theresa Booker rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Jeff Mitchell
Jeff Mitchell rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Lola McGourty
Lola McGourty marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Blake Tamez
Blake Tamez is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Beverly Rinne
Beverly Rinne marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Gordon
Gordon rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
John Nawoichyk
John Nawoichyk rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 16, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014