Start by marking “The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight” as Want to Read:
The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight

The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales #6)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,755 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Ever since the murder of her mother and guardian, Sarah has been searching for the knight she holds responsible for their death. But vengeance may not be as satisfying as she thought it would be.
Published October 6th 2008 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight

Nikki
Ah, Gerald Morris is back on safer ground here, sticking to what he understand -- Chrétien and Malory. Well, you have to be a bit of an ass, to my mind, to dismiss one of Chrétien's works as a "clinker", and as I recall Chrétien never finished the tale in question himself, so...

In any case, Morris' shocking inability to research aside, this one is quite fun and Lady Sarah is a fun character. There are quite a few strong, positive female characters in this one, which made it that bit more fun, an...more
Miss
I don't feel words are the right way to transmit my feelings about this book.

A bit of this:

Turning to this:

Summarized by these:

Photobucket

And people say perfection doesn't exist.

5 stars
Rusty
She is just thirteen when she sees Queen Guinivere kidnapped. Having met the kind queen and the knight accompanying her, Sarah realizes that her new friends what has happened. Alone, since her mother was murdered, Sarah understands that the knight asking her to report the kidnapping to Arthur so she travels to Arthur's camp.

Sarah's adventures begin as she accompanies knights to rescue Guinevere. Viewed through her eyes, we see a different view of Arthur, Guinivere, and some of the knights of the...more
Carrie Slager
Well, this was Book 6 of The Squire’s Tales series and I can confidently say that so far I love the whole series. There is no ‘bad’ book in Gerald Morris’ retellings of the Arthurian legends; they’re all great.

Although from the summary I expected Sarah to be a typical girl empowerment character, that was far from the truth. Her actions make sense and her character arc is gradual, but very powerful. Just as a warning to younger readers, let me say that this book is more graphic than the others an...more
John
Returning to top form, Morris sends a young orphan on a quest that teaches her the emptiness of vengeance as she frees an entire kingdom from an enchantment (which involves crossing a bridge that is the edge of a super sharp sword--a notably suspenseful endeavor), saves Arthur's realm from a rebellion, both helps and is helped by Sirs Kai, Gawain and Lancelot along with other members of the merry crew, and performs all manner of heroic deeds including some with a sword.

Notable passages:

"At that...more
Stephanie
(More like 3.5 stars.)

OH EM GEE TEH CUTENESS!!1!!1

I'm very fond of this series in general. They stick close to the more well-known versions of these tales (particularly the crazy-ass Chretien versions! yay!), but the author isn't afraid to put his own spin on things. I'm still amazed Morris made THE SWORD BRIDGE (I will never forget the all caps from the poem, never) sound vaguely plausible. Granted there was some magic involved, but Lancelot and Sarah being like "what the actual fuck?" about th...more
Amy
Oh! I loved it I loved it I loved it!!!!!
What amazes me about this series so far is how every book is as good as the one before it. I have yet to be disappointed. Perhaps I will be, with the eventual climax I assume will have to come, but right now I have nothing but giggles and the sweet taste of a good book. Packed with action, adventure, awesome characters...can you ask for more?
I suppose one might say a romance but whenever Morris adds a romance it is generally oddly done...so take my word f...more
Cinnamon
Closure for Sir Lancelot.
Sarah's mother and caretaker, a Jewish cloth merchant, were killed because of hatred of Jews. So Sarah made a vow to avenge their deaths by seeking out the knight who prompted the villagers to kill them. But first she needs a sword. Opportunity strikes when she crosses paths with Sir Kai and Queen Genievere. She attempts to steal Sir Kai's sword, but when she is caught, instead of harming her for stealing, Kai gives her a sword made for his son and teaches her the basics...more
Bunnyjadwiga
This retelling has of course a bunch of elements that aren't in the original versions (a young heroine named Sarah, a bunch of magic princes, and some friendly fairies) but it's a very good modern read. When orphaned Sarah tries to steal Sir Kai's sword to wreak vengeance on those who instigated the murder of her family, he takes pity on her, gives her a sword and teaches her to use it-- and when he and the lady he is escorting are fallen upon by a recreant knight and kidnapped, he sends her for...more
Lisa
Elizabeth
This was the only Morris book on the shelf the day I needed some good Arthurian escapism, which is why I own it. Unfortunately, it concentrates on Lancelot rather than Gawain, who is my great love in Arthurian legend; Morris has been turning away from Gawain in his last few books, which is a damn shame -- he writes him brilliantly, and his character Terence, Gawain's squuire, is a marvelous creation. The scenes in this in which they appear are the best in the whole novel, not least because they...more
Sinthia Martinez
I've yet to read any of the other books in the series, but I have nothing but love for this book. I haven't been reading as much as I used to and I'm glad this was the book I decided to read. I am not at all well versed in Arthurian legend besides a few books I read when I was younger involving Merlin, some movies, and the story of Sir Gawain an the Green Knight, but it didn't really matter. This book, with it's wonderful story and strong female characters, gave me a great time. Much better than...more
Jia
Jennifer Griffith
This was a diverting retelling of an Arthurian era legend. The heroine was great, and she did some unexpected things, learning some unexpected lessons. While there tended to be more telling than showing in some sections, and places where a more detailed description of the "world" would have helped me (like the Sword Bridge) imagine better, overall it was a nice, quick YA fiction read.

I'm looking for books for my kids to read, and I'm glad I previewed this author. I feel comfortable steering them...more
Cassie
More 3 1/2 than just 3. For some reason, it is my least favorite so far. I loved the development of Jean from the ninny he was in the earliest books to a far more believable character in the last few. Sarah was a bit too much like the previous female heroines on these novels--quick to anger, sharp-tongued but capable. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer heroines with these characteristics, but she could easily be any of the previous girls, making her a bit repetitive and unoriginal.
Elise
A bit grimmer than the previous five books in the series, but still a fun read. I do seem to have trouble keeping track of all the side characters who pop up in multiple books. I need an index of characters or something to remind myself :). I did appreciate the genealogy chart in the afterword of this one. I was confused about whether Morgan le Fay was Arthur's niece or cousin or what. (She was his half-sister.)
Sarah Eisele
Perhaps my favorite of the Squire's Tales series (since the first two...or three, hmm, I do love them all), this book has adventure, humor, warmth, and a very satisfying ending -- YAY Gerald Morris!! I love this series (although we all know it ends badly -- and I prefer not to read the last two over when I re-read the rest) and wish the wondrous sneaky Squire/Duke of Avalon would just step on out of the pages of my book and into the real world!
Ron
My son finished reading this to us last night. It was another exciting retelling of an Arthurian romance with a darker tone as the main character is seeking vengeance for the death of her mother and becomes entangled in the kidnapping of Guinevere and Kay and then their rescue. Sarah changes and matures while questing with Gawain, Terence, and Lancelot with some timely assistance from Morgan Le Fey. Enjoy.
Esther
I mostly liked that the main character is a girl. Now, I know that there is a lady in The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf, but it's just her point of view. She's not exactly the main character. In this book, the main character is the girl, and- especially important for me- she doesn't fall for any of the guys. I just like this girl. Maybe not as funny as his other books, but it's made up for in sheer goodness.
Me
A little lower on the four star scale.

I feel like this plot is simply overused. There are millions of people looking for revenge. I don't see Sarah as a new and interesting addition to the Arthurian cast.

However I still grew to care for her over the book, and the action in this book was quite exciting.
Duzzlebrarian
Part of a loosely connected series of children's books, based on the medieval Arthur stories, especially Mallory, dusted off and polished nicely for the 21st Century. If you know the originals, you can instantly tell where in the saga you are, if not, it's self-contained enough that you can just enjoy the story.
Annie
This book is very good. It is also my second time reading this. This is a very interesting book about the times of King Arthur. This book is about a girl whose mother and guardian were killed and she goes out to seek revenge, and ends up on a quest, making a lot of friends, and having adventures of her own.
Abri
I read this with my sister. It was a very interesting story, and I loved how it was told. The main character, Sara, was someone I could really relate to, but I'm not sure that's true with everyone.

It did have a lot of magic in it, but nothing very serious.

Overall, a good book.
Heather
This book was pretty well written and had a fun and capable female protagonist, but what I liked best was the several times that something in it would strike me as deeply profound. The only thing I didn't care for was the beheadings, but they had purpose. Good book.
Chrisanne
Slightly more violent than anything Morris has written before in this series. But still the world of Arthur, as only Morris can tell it. And it was good to have a spunky girl for a heroine again, to say nothing of meeting our friend "The Woodsman" as well.
Deborah Lewitt
love that we get more time with Sir Kai, a good story and has a beautiful redemption of 2 of Camelot's saddest nobles. Sarah is a likeable and interesting main character. wonderful story with some real truths behind the fun and fantasy.
Alyssa
Cute, fun, and a bevvy of strong Heroines -what more could you ask for? I thought the plot was a bit predictable in places, but overall a good book. This is the first book I read of this series, so I'll now have to read the rest!
Debrarian
Yet another good one: Sarah (13), bent on revenge against those who burned her innocent mother for a witch, falls in with a surprisingly talented woodcutter (Sir Lancelot) to save the kidnapped Sir Kai and Queen Guinevere.
Rachel
This is my favorite series in the world. but for some reason no one has ever heard of them... people don't know what they are missing! this was one of the best in the series and one of my favorite books of all time.
Mel
This is one my favorites in the series! I'm reading them all in order and so far only The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf has lived up the greatness of the first 2 in the series. That is until I read this one =)
  • Road to Camlann: The Death of King Arthur
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • Rowan Hood Returns: The Final Chapter (Rowan Hood, #5)
  • At the Crossing Places (Arthur Trilogy, #2)
  • Merlin (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #3)
  • The Book of Mordred
  • Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Black Horses for the King
Gerald Morris is known for his light yet addictive series of stories for preteen and teen readers based in the Middle Ages during the time of King Arthur. Collectively called "The Squire's Tales", the series includes The Squire's Tale, The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady, The Savage Damsel and The Dwarf, and Parsifal's Page. The books at the start of the series focus on Gawain, but primarily on T...more
More about Gerald Morris...
The Squire's Tale (The Squire's Tales, #1) The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3) The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2) Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4) The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)

“The next day brought more visitors. Sarah was eating a simple luncheon with Charis, Ariel, and Guinevere and was experiencing for the first time in her life the pleasure of talking freely with other girls she trusted. It wasn't that they talked about anything of importance. Indeed, most of their conversation was hopelessly trivial- Mordecai would have shaken his head sadly over such frivolity, Sarah reflected with an inward smile. But to talk so openly, and to laugh so unrestrainedly, was somehow far more significant than any single thing that was said.” 8 likes
“I am my own damned princess!” 3 likes