The Lonely Beast

The Lonely Beast

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Have you heard of the Beasts? No, not many have. That’s because they are very rare. This is the tale of one such Beast, who decides to take a dangerous quest to find others like him. Trekking over mountains and swimming across seas, he comes at last to a great city. There he finds many delights but sadly no Beasts, so he returns home, where a surprise awaits him.
Published February 3rd 2011 by Andersen

Jackie
Beasts are very rare...so rare in fact, there is only one in every country. They are very kind, gentle, and quiet. But, one day one of these beasts got very lonely. He decided to find the other beasts. He walked, he swam, he climbed mountains. But, he found civilization instead and a land full of people. After a while, they accepted him...but, lonely he still was. So in reverse, he traveled...only to find a giant surprise waiting for him on the other end.
Tyler Lutz
First off, the "Beast" should be ripping those people to shreds. What a shitty monster! He obviously embarrassed the entire Beast community, which is why when he was interviewed and gave the call to all other beasts they showed up at his garden instead of in a public setting. He's going to learn very quickly from his fellow Beasts that he was too soft on the humans. He will be initiated into a killing regime and become the monster he was born to be.
Shannon
I'll use this book for a lesson on theme. I'm a sucker for any book featuring cryptozoological creatures.
Marilyn
This cute story reminds us that we all need somebody to be our friend. Even beasts do not want to be alone in this big old world and loneliness is not a happy emotion to experience. Have you ever felt lonely? In need of someone to hang out with and share yourself and life with? Well this beast felt exactly the same way.

This particular kind of beast I am talking about is extremely rare - in fact there is only one in each country of the world and you know what? They are unaware that others exist s...more
Tredyffrin Kids
A rare creature sets out on a journey to find others of his kind.

Five reasons this books is awesome:

1. A very endearing main character (who manages to be expressive even with an almost complete lack of features...)

2. A long and interesting journey.

3. A gentle thread of humor.

4. Really wonderful illustrations. (The underwater scenes are my particular favorites.)

5. A happy ending.

A great read-aloud choice for 4's and 5's.
Avrille
Cute, quirky and fun, Judge explores loneliness and companionship with a heartfelt and relatable narrative. His narration allows for interactive between the reader and, if so inclined, the person they're reading to. Truly a delightful read, I cannot wait to read this to my little niece and my cousins.
Carissa
It's funny that the beast drinks coffee and appears on talk shows, but the story wasn't strong enough. The beast travels away, hangs with humans, travels back and finds all the beasts there. Hmh.
Ashley
I like the idea and I like the illustrations, but the story was lacking real appeal. I wouldn't use this in a storytime because I think the kids would get too bored.
Ruth
Really liked this - stylish and funny. My full review is up here http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/i...
Andrea Buman
My four year old has requested this book every day for the past two weeks. Wonderful illustrations and a very sweet story.
Jamil
the panel where the Beast walks "through a garden of pink jellyfish" is pretty phenomenal.
Morgan Sallee
Not my favorite, but would be good for monster storytime probably for older audience.
Danielle
Nicely done.
Simple and engaging and fun to look at.
The end is sweet city.
Russell Olson
Nice little story. Beautiful artwork.
Edward Sullivan
Quite the intrepid beast.
Caleb
Caleb added it
Jul 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014