Start by marking “The Lonely Beast” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Beast

The Lonely Beast

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Have you heard of the Beasts? No, not many have. That’s because they are very rare. This is the tale of one such Beast, who decides to take a dangerous quest to find others like him. Trekking over mountains and swimming across seas, he comes at last to a great city. There he finds many delights but sadly no Beasts, so he returns home, where a surprise awaits him.
Published February 3rd 2011 by Andersen

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely Beast

Emily
May 06, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
I did this book with my year ones for five weeks. That's right FIVE weeks.

Before christmas I had never heard of this book before, but I enjoyed doing it, and it lent itself to lots of fun activities.

The Beast is all black with no face. Before even looking at the title, we had a look at the picture of the Beast in the city. When you read the book, you know that he is trying to find friends, but taken out of context it looks more sinister. We had a look at the Beast, describing him, trying to fin
Jackie
Beasts are very rare...so rare in fact, there is only one in every country. They are very kind, gentle, and quiet. But, one day one of these beasts got very lonely. He decided to find the other beasts. He walked, he swam, he climbed mountains. But, he found civilization instead and a land full of people. After a while, they accepted him...but, lonely he still was. So in reverse, he traveled...only to find a giant surprise waiting for him on the other end.
Tyler Lutz
First off, the "Beast" should be ripping those people to shreds. What a shitty monster! He obviously embarrassed the entire Beast community, which is why when he was interviewed and gave the call to all other beasts they showed up at his garden instead of in a public setting. He's going to learn very quickly from his fellow Beasts that he was too soft on the humans. He will be initiated into a killing regime and become the monster he was born to be.
Tredyffrin Children
A rare creature sets out on a journey to find others of his kind.

Five reasons this books is awesome:

1. A very endearing main character (who manages to be expressive even with an almost complete lack of features...)

2. A long and interesting journey.

3. A gentle thread of humor.

4. Really wonderful illustrations. (The underwater scenes are my particular favorites.)

5. A happy ending.

A great read-aloud choice for 4's and 5's.
Katastrophe
Jun 06, 2013 Katastrophe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
Cute, quirky and fun, Judge explores loneliness and companionship with a heartfelt and relatable narrative. His narration allows for interactive between the reader and, if so inclined, the person they're reading to. Truly a delightful read, I cannot wait to read this to my little niece and my cousins.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I'll use this book for a lesson on theme. I'm a sucker for any book featuring cryptozoological creatures.
Marilyn
Sep 17, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
This cute story reminds us that we all need somebody to be our friend. Even beasts do not want to be alone in this big old world and loneliness is not a happy emotion to experience. Have you ever felt lonely? In need of someone to hang out with and share yourself and life with? Well this beast felt exactly the same way.

This particular kind of beast I am talking about is extremely rare - in fact there is only one in each country of the world and you know what? They are unaware that others exist s
Jbaccon
For all who have ever felt they just don't belong...A feeling shared by many in the international school setting. A black shadowy shape with 2 holes for eyes has never evoked such emotion. Skilfully and humorously written and illustrated.
ESF Tsing Yi
Jun 22, 2016 ESF Tsing Yi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a wonderfully illustrated adventure story with a heart, that uses comic book styles to progress the story, and allows for lots of discussion. This has been a classroom favourite.
Mckinley
Apr 14, 2016 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, travel, fantasy
What's the line about traveling around the world only to find what you were looking for in your own back yard? Well, that wouldn't have happened without the publicity but still.
Carissa
Jun 11, 2013 Carissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
It's funny that the beast drinks coffee and appears on talk shows, but the story wasn't strong enough. The beast travels away, hangs with humans, travels back and finds all the beasts there. Hmh.
Ashley
Oct 30, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I like the idea and I like the illustrations, but the story was lacking real appeal. I wouldn't use this in a storytime because I think the kids would get too bored.
Ruth
Jan 24, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it
Really liked this - stylish and funny. My full review is up here http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/i...
Andrea Buman
Aug 23, 2012 Andrea Buman rated it it was amazing
My four year old has requested this book every day for the past two weeks. Wonderful illustrations and a very sweet story.
Garren
May 28, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Love the beast's look and the simple travel/ community story. Will be reading this aloud at first chance.
Jamil
the panel where the Beast walks "through a garden of pink jellyfish" is pretty phenomenal.
Danielle
Sep 30, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Nicely done.
Simple and engaging and fun to look at.
The end is sweet city.
Russell Olson
Jun 21, 2011 Russell Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Nice little story. Beautiful artwork.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 04, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Quite the intrepid beast.
Harry G
Harry G rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Raneem
Raneem is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
Mihaela Potolinca
Mihaela Potolinca marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Gregory
Gregory rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Tishan
Tishan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Johan Sundlöf
Johan Sundlöf rated it it was ok
May 10, 2016
Flori Hax
Flori Hax marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Antonio Rebello
Antonio Rebello marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Kasia Suchodolska
Kasia Suchodolska marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016