Start by marking “Kubrick” as Want to Read:
Kubrick

Kubrick

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Kubrick is Michael Herr's memoir of his nearly twenty-year friendship and collaboration with Stanley Kubrick, one of the greatest filmmakers of all time and the creator of such classics as Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and A Clockwork Orange. From their first meeting at an advance screening of The Shining in 1980, Kubrick and Herr began an intense intellectual ex ...more
Published June 5th 2001 by Grove Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Kubrick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kubrick

Melody
Having been surprised at the size of this book when it arrived, I was first and foremost impressed by its concision - even though I'd read much of it excerpted or rehashed in parts of Taschen's more weighty Kubrick Archives, this was like barreling through those pages in a tenth of the time, missing none of the feeling of "solving" the mystery of the man.

But it's in the "postscript" (which is actually about a quarter of the short page length) about Eyes Wide Shut, art phobia/masterpiece fatigue,
Sean Lockley
I think I was a huge Stanley Kubrick fan long before I even knew it. I loved The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Doctor Strangelove, enjoyed A Clockwork Orange (though I was probably way too young to fully appreciate it when I first watched it), and the first part of Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorite half-movies ever. So when I put it all together that one dude directed all those films and more, I was as disbelieving as Homer Simpson discovering that bacon, ham AND pork all come from on ...more
Andres Lucero
I came across this book today and found I'd read half of it before leaving the store (it's less than 100 pages). Herr's writing is light and informal as he recounts his years as a friend and collaborator of Stanley Kubrick's, providing a rare insight into the true personality of the filmmaker.

More of an extended essay than a biography, this book makes an excellent companion piece to Stanley Kubrick: Interviews for anyone who wants to understand the brilliant, funny, and sometimes contentious nat
Matt Day
A loving and lovely account of Kubrick as a friend, Herr is an unabashed fan of Kubrick and doesn't dwell on the negative, instead writing as someone who has lost a friend that few people understood. He knew Kubrick for 2 decades, and could surely have written a weighty volume on the man, but you can breeze through this in a day and feel you know Kubrick a little better, understand him a little more, and perhaps look at his work a little differently. There are many more detailed looks at Kubrick ...more
Theshiney
i enjoyed hearing an informal, first person account of someone who worked close (well, close considering the man) with stan. however, the defense of eyes wide shut in the postscript left a bad taste in my mouth. it was based only on personal feeling and didnt offer any real insight. Herr's attempt actually backs up the detractors who only think kubrickphiles would like it... if you want a better perspective to begin to see the movie again this is more like it.
Andrew
More of a pamphlet than a book, but that doesn't belittle its content.

Worth reading for any Kubrick enthusiast - if only to confirm suspicions that he wasn't a genuine recluse, did have many friends and often met with them.

Herr provides a series of annecodates and tales that all go towards a portrait of Kubrick as a driven film maker as well as a thoughtful family man and pet owner.

Dispels the bitter aftertaste of the Frederick Raphael alternative - all copies of which should be burnt on a bonfi
Pedro
Herr is a fantastic writer, and his insights on Kubrick are remarkable and full of wit. Tells you more about Kubrick the man in a hundred pages than any other book, including LoBrutto’s biography. My favorite anecdote is when Herr, in Kubrick’s computer room in the early 80s, suggested he turn the computers off when not using them. Kubrick just said: “They like to be left on.”
Adam
I brief look into Kubrick's interactions with his friend and screen writer mainly during the filming of Full Metal Jacket. It also includes and interesting chapter in which he defends Eyes Wide Shut from some the negative reviews and makes his own case for its brilliance.
Stephen Hughes
Great insight into Stanley Kubrick the man and the artist by his friend and collaborator, Michael Herr. It's too short and the last chapter on Eyes Wide Shut seems thrown together, but it's still worthwhile reading for the Kubrick enthusiast.
Alex
A brief, but in-depth, account of Stanley Kubrick from someone who actually knew him. This book does not discuss the meanings of his films, but the meaningful and artistically demanding eye behind the camera. A quick and rewarding read.
Chris
the man had full control on everything he did, very few directors ever get away with that kind of power. If he wanted an extra million to do the project, he didn't ask, he told the studios. Now that's power.
Erin
"You could always count on Stanley every time to choose Beauty over Content, since he didn't think of them as two separate things."
Ed
Neat little book, some interesting stuff about Kubrick when he was younger that I hadn't heard before. Nice analysis of Eyes Wide Shut
Phillip
one of the best books on kubrick that i've read - lots of personal info, analysis of the films, all in a nice compact volume.
Andy Zeigert
An essential read for admirers of the man.
Celeste
This was a very interesting book.
Tim
Yes, a wonderful portrait
Malvika
Malvika marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Daniel Espinoza
Daniel Espinoza marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Zack Zildjan
Zack Zildjan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Tim Linder
Tim Linder marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Biography
  • Kubrick: The Definitive Edition
  • Stanley Kubrick, Director: A Visual Analysis
  • The Stanley Kubrick Archives
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • The Making of Star Wars (Star Wars:  The Making of, #1)
  • Stanley Kubrick
  • When the Lights Go Down: Film Writings, 1975-1980
  • Four Screenplays: Smiles of a Summer Night/The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/The Magician
  • All I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from The Toxic Avenger
  • Orson Welles, Vol. 2: Hello Americans
  • Conversations With Scorsese
  • All About All About Eve: The Complete Behind-the-Scenes Story of the Bitchiest Film Ever Made!
  • Lynch on Lynch
  • The Dark Side Of Genius: The Life Of Alfred Hitchcock
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Biography

Writer and former war correspondent, best known as the author of Dispatches (1977), a memoir of his time as a correspondent for Esquire magazine (1967–1969) during the Vietnam War. The book was called the best "to have been written about the Vietnam War" by The New York Times Book Review; novelist John le Carré called it "the best book I have ever read on men and war in our time." Herr later was c
More about Michael Herr...
Dispatches Walter Winchell: A Novel Primo's: The Kauai Obake Bar The Old Queen and The King (Kohala Coast Mystery Series) The Old Queen and the Maui Maiden (The Kohala Coast Mystery series)

“And I know, because I've been there, that there is a hellworld where you're always expected to have an opinion about everything all the time: a judgment, a take - a 'view,' in the most ordinary sense of the word.” 0 likes