Start by marking “Just Like Heaven LP” as Want to Read:
Just Like Heaven LP

Just Like Heaven LP (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  16,028 ratings  ·  1,221 reviews
Honoria Smythe-Smith is:

A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child
C) not in love with her older brother's best friend
D) all of the aboveMarcus Holroyd is:

A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles
C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister
D) all of the aboveTogether they:

A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B)...more
Paperback, Large Print, 448 pages
Published May 31st 2011 by HarperLuxe (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Heaven LP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Heaven LP

Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Warning: May cause fits of giggles resulting in inquisitive stares if in public, an irrepressible smile to stay on your face, and cavities from too much sweetness.

This is such a cute, fun, charming, witty, feel-good read, and it was the perfect cure for my stressful, crummy week. It made me erupt with laughter several times, smile broadly throughout, and sigh in sheer delight at the romantic, sweet ending.

The Bridgertons hold a special place among my histori...more
Juliana
A simple and light romance, which is sometimes just what you need

When I first started reading romances, Julia Quinn was one of my favorite authors and I fell absolutely in love with her Bridgerton series, as I know many other romance readers did as well. The past few years, her books have been uneven for me, so I was a little nervous about picking this one up. The Smythe-Smiths were famous (or infamous is probably more accurate) but would it be what you expect from a Quinn book - a fun and light...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This book made me Photobucket and Photobucket, sometimes Photobucket, sometimes Photobucket, most of the time Photobucket and overall Photobucket

The story - Honoria and Marcus have known each other since they were children. They were friends, well, as much as one can be a friend to your brothers BFF. Daniel (the brother) got himself into trouble, and he made Marcus promise to keep an eye on Honoria (in translation: scare off any suitor imaginable, and then some XD).
Honoria is on the other hand quite desperate to find a husband, so she and her cousins plan a p...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★½ This book is a delight! Ms. Quinn has managed to take an amusing inside joke from her Bridgertons series, change it into a charming anecdote, then transform it into an enchanting love story, plus make it the start of a developing series. Wow!
After eighteen years, no one attended a Smythe-Smith musical without some inkling of the horrors that lay ahead.
Sure, it is a light, fast, fun read. However, the illness Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris, contracts is no laughing matter. Honoria Smythe...more
Rane

This was the perfect pick-me-upper- beach read. It had all of JQ's humor and trademarks (with a few cameo appearances from characters some of her older books) The book was light and airy and while not as strong as her other books, it did give a great insight into the infamous Smythe-Smith family and their tone-deaf love for music.

The book didn't feel very much like a full length novel as much of the action and story was taken with the heroine nursing back to health the hero and the hero and h...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
I have a bit of a soft spot for historical romance since I began reading the genre last year, but I'd never read one of the most loved authors within this genre. I have heard from many sources that Quinn is a wonderful writer and now having read a novel I couldn't agree more.

"Just Like Heaven" is brilliantly written and just so witty. It's sparkly, lively and funny. The writing is smooth and the dialogue realistic, so much so I didn't realise how many pages I had read before I realised I had nea...more
rivka
Jul 04, 2011 rivka rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Bridgertons books
This is why I love Julia Quinn books: I laughed, I cried, and then I laughed so hard I cried.

As always, the dedication to her husband is worth the price of admission alone. I won't spoil that for you. ;)

On p. 57 (of this edition), was the first bit that made me laugh out loud:
And Honoria had a plan. It wasn't terribly complicated; she needed only a sunny day, a halfway acceptable sense of direction, and a shovel.

It was 11 pages later that we found out what she was up to. And 10 pages after tha...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Come see my review @ Under the Covers

Having read everything that Julia Quinn has written I was very much looking forward to starting a series about the famous (or is it infamous?) Smythe-Smith. If you have read any of her books you would have heard about the Smythe-Smith Musicale the most anticipated and by that I mean dreaded social event in the ton calander. Honoria Smith-Smythe plays the violin, terribly ofcourse in true Smythe-Smith tradition, in the quartet and she hopes that this will be h...more
Autumn
Bah! .. whatever happened to JQ??? She is known to write on the lit end of historical genre, but sincerely, the story left me ... hmm. empty. lacking.

I liked he fact that Marcus and Honoria have known each other through childhood. their bantering,and how comfortable they were around each other was the number one factor i kept reading the book.The story however,was just FLAT (to me).

the redundant, self-doubting train of thought from the characters drove me I-N-S-A-N-E. I supposed she tried to ma...more
Ronyell
“Yum! Who would have thought that sweet tarts and chocolates can make love so heavenly!”

chocolate

I have been reading so many historical romance novels that I must have read almost every one, mainly works from Lisa Kleypas, Teresa Medeiros and Jennifer Ashley. But, this is the first novel I have read from Julia Quinn and it is called “Just Like Heaven.” Actually, “Just Like Heaven” is Julia Quinn’s most recent book to date, so I had the pleasure of reading one of Julia Quinn’s books.

The story starts off...more
Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: Regency England
Hero: Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris
Heroine: Lady Honoria Smythe-Smith
Sensuality Rating: Warm
Overall Ranking: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

See Full Review Here: http://feministfairytalereviews.blogs...

This is the first of a quartet where Quinn explores the inner workings of the Smythe-Smith family and their infamous musicales. In this book, we meet Lady Honoria Smythe-Smith who plays violin in the musicale and Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris. Marcus is...more
Eastofoz
Jul 09, 2011 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bridgerton series style fans
If you liked Quinn’s Bridgerton family series and you’re looking for a new comfort read series, then this oughta do it. “Just Like Heaven” had everything I love about Julia Quinn’s novels: fantastic dialog, the focus is on the h/h, lots of witty humor and well-drawn characters. Quinn is one of the few historical romance authors out there whose books actually sound like a historical and the tone remains consistent throughout the book.

The h/h (Marcus and Honoria) start off as friends of sorts from...more
Christine
Apr 08, 2011 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Julia Quinn
Shelves: adult, own-it
By sheer luck, I got an early copy of Just Like Heaven and immediately read it when I received it in the mail yesterday. And it was great!

In the Bridgertons series, I always got the impression that the Smythe-Smith girls were a little boring and not... bright. But it turns out, they're just the opposite! I had so much fun learning about Honoria Smythe-Smith and her family and the very, very large number of cousins. Geez, this family is big.

Honoria and Marcus together are adorable and I love thei...more
Ally72
I loved it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I think that expresses how I felt about this book. This is one of my favorite Julia Quinn books I have read (and there have been some "hits and misses" for me) and I cannot wait until the next book is released. I would recommend this new series to anyone who enjoyed the Bridgerton books (there are even a couple of Bridgerton family members that make an appearance in it...Yay)!!! Just Li...more
Beanbag Love
A really fun, light-hearted story. There's a bit of angst, but it's not too strong. Julia Quinn doesn't really do angst.

But there are a lot of laughs and the chemistry between the two leads is excellent. I liked them both quite a bit and the developments seemed very organic. It's a trope I like -- two people who've known each other since childhood -- so that was a plus as well.

This book is set in the Bridgertons world and there's some overlap with "Romancing Mr. Bridgerton". So now, of course, I...more
Steffi
This book was just like heaven , indeed!

I have the feeling Julia Quinn can do no wrong. All of her books are amazing and Just Like Heaven is another in her line of success.

Just Like Heaven is the first book in the Smythe-Smith Quartet (hope I spelled that right) with Honoria Smythe-Smith and Marcus Holroyd as the heroine and hero. They've known each other since they were little kids, as Marcus is Honoria's brother's best friend. The scene when they were little and Honoria wants to go fishing...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series is a great favourite of mine and those who have read the series will be familiar with the Smythe-Smith quartet. For those readers who are unfamiliar with the Bridgerton books, the quartet of three sisters and a cousin gives an annual musical performance which can only be described as a discordant cacophony of sounds! So I was delighted to discover that Ms Quinn's new series features the young ladies of this quartet. The first book, JUST LIKE HEAVEN, is a delightfu...more
Sophie Barnes
When Honoria Smythe-Smith's brother Daniel is forced to flee the country, he asks is best friend Marcus Holroyd (the Earl of Chatteris) to keep a watchful eye on his sister - to ensure that she doesn't marry a complete idiot =) No matter how much Marcus detests attending seasonal events, he takes his duty very seriously and follows Honoria wherever she goes, discreetly scaring off the occasional suitor. But when Honoria decides to set her cap for Gregory Bridgerton and plans to attract Gregory's...more
Jenny E
05/11/2012 - Just re-read this one and loved it even more the second time! I am so excited to for the next book in the series to come out in a few weeks!

______________________________________________________________________

10/05/2011

This was an adorable book. I can't think of a better word than adorable to describe it. What a pleasant surprise it was too. This is the first Julia Quinn book I've read, and I will definitely continue with her books. What I loved most about it was the witty dialogu...more
Cheryl
Witty... Sweet... Romantic... and all the things you expect from a Julia Quinn book! PLUS(!) two of our beloved Bridgerton's make an appearance AND Lady Danbury.. you really couldn't ask for anything better! Loved this one. Read it. :)

If you are a fan of Friends-To-Lovers theme or Heroine-Falls-In-Love-With-Brother's-Best-Friend theme then this book is for you!
Dina
This is the Julia Quinn I love and have been missing for years. Nobody does light and fluffy like her - when her muse is around, that is. :)
Penny Watson
I hate to say this, but Just Like Heaven was not so heavenly.

In fact, I am starting to think that Quinn will never get back her writing mojo. Writing witty banter is fun and cute, but adding serious emotional chops into a romance is the sign of a truly great author. Quinn has the ability to do this (Bridgerton series), but she no longer seems interested. The Smythe-Smith musicales have been a humorous addition to Quinn's historicals for a long time. But once the decision was made to write an ent...more
Kelly22
5.00 stars - Historical Romance.

Did I mention the word ‘Bridgerton’ and their creator bring a goofy silly grin in my face every time I hear it? So when I saw it was a Quinn, I couldn’t stop myself from reading it and guess what I wasn’t disappointed in the least! It is immensely Julia Quinn at her best! I thank her for saving me out from a clutter of poorly written historical romances with a bitter taste in my mouth!

Just like heaven is all about a sweet romance with a capital JULIA QUINN style!...more
Dija
The beginning was extremely slow, and I simply couldn't get into this book. It lacks the humor and warmth that Quinn is famous for, and I found Just Like Heaven to be a huge disappointment until the last 100 pages or so.

All the other books by JQ always have lots of family scenes and sibling bickering, but they were mostly missing from this book. There were only a handful of scenes with the Smythe-Smith family, and next to none with Honoria's siblings.

All the descriptions about the dreadful eve...more
Brittany B.
****Update: I relistened to this audiobook. This is such a feel-good story. I loved it much more the second time. I can't recommend it enough. JQ is definitely one of my very favorite authors.
Just Like Heaven and Ten Things I Love About You are my favorite JQ books. (I haven't read the first few Bridgertons)

******************
Audiobook: Rosalyn Landor Narrator.

Fantastic series. High recommend, even for those who aren't fans of Rosalyn Landor. Julia Quinn's stories are made even better by Rosa...more
♡Karlyn P♡
This was a cute story. While it is a stand alone, the relationships of other characters are closely related to the Bridgerton's series. If you haven't read that series, you may want to start there. This book wasn't what I was expecting/hoping, but it was enjoyable.
Viohlet
I loved this. There are no words to describe how awesome this was. Definitely one of her best yet.

I loved the characters in this. The hero and heroine are so awesome, and the heroine doesn't even have a hint of TSTL. The dynamic between them was also different then it has been between the hero and heroine in the past, and I found myself choking up on multiple occasions because I was just so invested in these characters and their relationship.

I also enjoyed the constant references to characters a...more
Caz
The perfect piece of audio-fluff for when - as I am - you're laid up in bed with a stinking cold and can't read a book because it makes your eyes ache!

It's classic JQ - light-hearted, with plenty of witty dialogue; and it contains one of my favourite tropes, the "friends-to-lovers" one.

Lady Honoria has known Marcus Holroyd since she was a child. He's her big brother's best friend, the only child of an only child who has been given the best of everything in life - except familial life and affecti...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Just like Heaven....

I guess right from the beginning this book had an advantage by having me as its reader. Im a bit of a Julia Quinn fanatic..but shhh...dont tell her that. I have read her Bridgerton series and loved every word that has come from that genius of a woman’s mouth – somehow I knew this book would not differ.

Originally we met the Smythe-Smiths thru the Bridgerton series, famous for their annual musicals (if that’s what one could actually call them). And in this book we focus primari...more
Crista
This book has everything I love about Julia Quinn's novels.

It has:
1. Wonderful humor.
2. Characters to love.
3. A friends turned to lovers theme.
4. Bridgerton's as secondary characters.

With these traits, this should've been a 5 star book, but unfortunately it left me a bit uninspired. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this book, but I wasn't glued to the pages.

Marcus was Daniel Smythe-Smith's best friend and grew up with Daniel's little sister, Honoria, tagging along behind them. Later in...more
The Ultimate ABC ...: Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn 1 12 Mar 14, 2012 06:06AM
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales, #2.5)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an...more
More about Julia Quinn...
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)

“No. Haven’t you been listening?”

Marcus would always remember that moment. It was to be the first time he would ever be faced with that most vexing of female quirks: the question that had nothing but wrong answers.”
41 likes
“He’d spent his life being a perfect gentleman. He’d never been a flirt. He’d never been a rogue. He hated being the center of attention, but by God, he wanted to be the center of her attention. He wanted to do the wrong thing, the bad thing. He wanted to pull her into his arms and carry her to her bed. He wanted to peel every last inch of her clothing from her body, and then he wanted to worship her. He wanted to show her all the things he wasn’t sure he knew how to say.” 39 likes