Start by marking “How Much Land Does a Man Need” as Want to Read:
How Much Land Does a Man Need

How Much Land Does a Man Need

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  892 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Calypso Editions presents a new translation of the Tolstoy tale that James Joyce called “the greatest story that the literature of the world knows.” Here, readers meet Pakhom, who swears that with enough land, he wouldn’t fear the devil himself. And the devil hears him.
Paperback, Limited, 47 pages
Published December 13th 2010 by Calypso Editions (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Land Does a Man Need, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Land Does a Man Need

Sunny in Wonderland
GREED.

The grass is always greener on the other side. The other side of what? The other side of this guy's property line. The protagonist of this story is a landowner. But, he feels cramped and sees that his neighbors have more land than he does.
GREED
So he buys more land and is happy for awhile. But then he hears about this other place where he can get more land for less money.
GREED
So he sells his land, moves, and buys more land. Happy now? Nope. Now he hears about this OTHER place where he can g
Michelle
I think I would have liked this a lot more if the intended audience had been different. This is one of the short stories Tolstoy wrote for peasants to learn literacy from. A story about a peasant that is never satisfied with the land he has, always wanting more and better. What does it mean for someone of Tolstoy's wealthy background to write stories for peasants about how they should not be greedy and want more than they have? Sure, greed is a universal human tendency, but I just couldn't get o ...more
Luckness Rabbit
Escogí este libro motivada por la curiosidad que me había despertado desde hacia tiempo el nombre de Tolstoy. Tenía muchísimas ganas de leer a uno de los grandes literatos rusos y que mejor ocasión que comenzar con un relato breve que versa sobre un tema tan en boga hoy en día: la avaricia del ser humano, el ansía de poseer más y más y nunca quedar satisfecho.

La historia se centra en la obsesión de Pajom un campesino ruso, por conseguir más y más tierra con el objetivo de poder vivir holgadament
Ken Moten
My last book before I plunge myself back into The Brothers Karamazov and I chose this one. It was a very good short story that is a morality tale but is not anvilicious. The last words in this story are truer now than when Tolstoy wrote them. Well, back to Dostoevsky!
Whitney
Tolstoy has amazing powers of description, as seen in all of these short stories. I loved the morals taught in the stories Where Love Is, God Is, The Two Old Men, What Men Live By, and all the others. Good reminders of what is really important in life.
Ian Roditi
Pues yo digo que un hombre no necesita más tierra que la que tiene en su corazón. Ahí donde ha amado, donde ha querido y donde ha sido feliz. Ahí se vuelve.

Lo demás es avaricia.
Josephine
Andrea Ika
Kali ini saya kepincut sama buku tipis kumpulan cerita pendek, yang ditulis oleh Leo Tolstoy. Buku ini diberi judul Tiga Pertapa. Bukunya berisi tiga cerita: "Berapa Banyak Tanah yang Diperlukan Orang?", "Tiga Pertapa", dan "Pengasingan yang Panjang".Dari ketiga cerita yang ada di buku ini, saya paling suka sama cerita pertama, yaitu "Berapa Banyak Tanah yang Diperlukan Orang?". Secara (super) singkat, cerita ini berkisah tentang seorang petani bernama Pahom, yang tadinya hidup sederhana tapi ke ...more
Mita
Apr 02, 2008 Mita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sapa aja dah...
I've read this book quite long time ago actually...

But then suddenly i kinda miss it n' decided to read it again

Awalnya gw lagi sebel banget, sepanjang perjalanan gw lihat begitu banyak bangunan, pembangunan, plang2 iklan yang menjamur dimana2. Semua orang ingin memiliki tanah yang seluas2nya, ingin memiliki properti yang sebanyak2nya. Tapi disisi lain gw juga lihat banyak banget orang yang tidak punya tanah sama sekali...

Gw berpikir "kayanya gak akan pernah ada cukup tanah bagi semua orang", na
Realini
How much land does a man need

I have been a fan of short stories for a long time. Most of all I loved Maugham’s short stories. Sick with ulcers, I had to spend time in a hospital and Maugham provided me with an excellent treatment.

We all know about War and Peace and Anna Karenina (the book, not the recently released film). I was surprised to find Tolstoy on the list of 100 best books ever, with the above mentioned masterpieces, but with his short stories also.

I started reading them and found the
David Plácido
"Um dia de dor, uma vida de amor. O sol não espera por ninguém e cada vez ia mais baixo. Oxalá não tenha querido demais! Se depois de ter corrido tudo isto, parasse agora, chamavam-me doido."
Kennedy Ifeh
The book is 519 words yet its meaning can span a 1000 pg novel. The plot is about a man who is told to walk on a vast expense of land, the amount he walks will be given to him. The condition was that he returns to the point of departure. Out of greed he walks and covers a vast land mass. Getting to the point of depature, he suddenly falls and dies. The elders dug a six foot grave and buries him there, "exactly the amount of land a man needs". Five star for 519 words!!!
Reid
Amy and I also read and discussed this book while driving back from a "Generous Giving" Conference. The Trinity Forum published this edition and the questions pointed directly to the theme of the conference: a person can gain the whole world and lose his life.

The questions caused us to discuss the place of greed and consumerism in our lives. Our growing commitment to the Lord and to each other is to a better steward of the 'talents' that He has given us and not to spend our 'assets' on ourselve
Ahmet Uçar
What a story of avarice.
La pointe de la sauce
Tolstoy stands miles apart from any other writter in his ability to tell a story about absolutely anything without losing the true essence of human character and our insatiable hunger for more. It is incredible how one can relate to a farmers desire for more land, it is the natural hunger to be better that the devil figure capitalizes on. There is another silent moral in these stories which is that poor people can be as corrupt as the rich if given the opportunity and that no one is infalliable. ...more
Oscar Salas
eficiente, aunque algo desvencijada adaptación del cuento de Tolstoi, cuyo mayor valor está en privilegiar el tono de fábula amenizado por otros relatos del mismo autor. El dibujo es correcto, aunque especialmente inexpresivo, lo cual puede ser tanto una opción funcional al relato de Miguel Ángel Diez, pero que al menos a este lector no convenció. Un placer, eso si, recordar la magnífica historia de La Camisa del Hombre Feliz, un favorito de la infancia injustamente olvidado.
ina
Diantara semua karya-karyanya, saya paling suka ini, "How Much Land Does a Man Need". Karya terbaik Tolstoy. Penulis yang hebat itu, bisa menyampaikan gagasannya tanpa kenal masa. Gagasan Tolstoy tentang nafsu memperkaya diri masih relevan kok di jaman sekarang. Sebanyak apa pun yang kita inginkan atau merasa kita butuhkan, toh pada akhirnya hanya sepetak tanah seukuran tubuh :)
Everjoking
out of Tolstoy's short stories, i liked is the Three Questions.

What is the best time to begin everything?
Who are the best people to listen to?
What is the most important thing to do?

Now, the ones you are with, and whatever you're doing at the moment...

I say Tolstoy is one of the best philosopher as he is a writer
JoeM
I only read the title story. A great parable about greed and the need for more in order to satiate one's appetite for space. With space (land) comes responsibility and with responsibility comes the need for more land - or something like that.

I enjoyed the story. It was well crafted and enjoyable. The ending did not disappoint.
Adele Wyn Eddy
Great short story with valuable moral lesson
Joaquim Semeano
Uma pérola de Leão Tolstoi. Como tudo o que ele escreveu, aliás. O génio russo não se deu ares de importante e mergulhou nas histórias populares do seu país, paras extrair delas todos os ensinamentos de que a espécie humana bem precisa. Como neste caso. Actual, sempre actual.
Joanne
A 'mind-opening story',i've shared it to my whole family and they love it they totally agree with me.and i will read it again and again,i also share it to one of my highschool friend and she will read it soon.nd i swear she will never regret reading it.
Judith
Jan 19, 2008 Judith marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this edition contains: Introduction by A. N. Wilson
The Woodfelling
Two Hussars
How Much Land Does a Man Need?
Where Love Is, God Is
What Men Live By
Neglect a Spark and the House Burns Down
The Two Old Men
The Raid
A Prisoner of the Caucasus
Vern Glaser
the short story "how much land does a man need?" is a delightful short narrative of a couple of Russian old men who go on a pilgrimage, it is a great story that exposes the relative worthlessness of money/possessions
Lulu sunman
the point is: don't be greedy. dalam hidup yang demikian padat dengan manusia, kepemilikan tanah secara membabi buta adalah tidak manusiawi. toh, tanah yang nantinya benar-benar akan milik kita hanya seukuran kuburan.
Maloney
Nice little collection of morality tales, kind of a more sophisticated version of Aesop's Fables. Some were excellent, some were just "ok". I liked "3 Questions" and "The Coffee-House of Surat" the most.
Bagger
Read this in school about four years ago, and have always loved it, my favorite has to be "How much Land Does a Man Need" I mean how do most people think they need, ( it turns out about six feet)
  • Sakhalin Island (Oneworld Classics)
  • The Crocodile
  • پرتره
  • Dubrovsky and Egyptian Nights
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
  • Seven Who Were Hanged
  • The Petty Demon
  • The Fiery Angel
  • Romance of Leonard da Vinci
  • Happy Moscow
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...
Anna Karenina War and Peace The Death of Ivan Ilych The Kreutzer Sonata Resurrection

“The further one goes, the better the land seems. ” 5 likes
“The worker picked up Pakhom’s spade, dug a grave, and buried him - six feet from head to heel, exactly the amount of land a man needs.” 2 likes