Start by marking “The Phantom Major: The Story of David Stirling and the SAS Regiment” as Want to Read:
The Phantom Major: The Story of David Stirling and the SAS Regiment

The Phantom Major: The Story of David Stirling and the SAS Regiment

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Virginia Cowles's 'The Phantom Major' is a classic account of the SAS raids of the Second World War, an amazing tale of courage, impudence and daring, packed with action and high adventure. Her narrative, based on the eyewitness testimony of the men who took part, gives a fascinating insight into the early years of the SAS.
Published May 15th 2011 by Pen & Sword Military (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom Major, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom Major

Reto
An incredible story, riveting to read.
Very enjoyable.
Michael
My Father had this book and I read and re-read it. In the 1970s we only had two television stations to view and AM radio so he was a member of the Readers Book Club and received a new book on a monthly basis. His copy was named "Who Dares Wins" and this book told of how David Stirling formed a new type of "behind the enemy lines" military unit in the western desert campaign against the German General Rommel. As I remember this book it was a good read and why I have purchased a new copy of this b ...more
Ashley Webb
This was a right riveting read.I thoroughly enjoyed it. Really amazing exploits carried out by the men who started the SAS and those of the Long Range Desert Group. I do like the way the books of the fifties and sixties were laid out. The maps are really clear and simple, and placed in the right place within the text for easy reference, unlike the maps in Tip and Run, which is a modern book. The writing was at times a bit "Jolly Hockey Sticks" but otherwise an excellent book.
Joe
Fun, old-style book about the founding of Britain's SAS. I like it since most of it takes place in Egypt, and it was recommended to me by a prof since it's all about the "indirect approach." A little differently, granted, than we learned about in IPCR, but indirect (and effective) nonetheless.
Rupert Matthews
A cracking read about the origins of the SAS in the desert war of World War II. Meticulously researched with the help of veterans and full of detail about the thrilling exploits of the early SAS.
Bh
Bh marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
krad
krad marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Skyelr
Skyelr marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Ammn Tan
Ammn Tan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Sue Schoening
Sue Schoening marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Scoutmaster P
Scoutmaster P marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kevin Hawkins
Kevin Hawkins marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Hamish
Hamish marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
James Rapaport
James Rapaport marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Arran Yates
Arran Yates marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Romanovs Stirling's Desert Raiders The Last Tsar & Tsarina The Russian Dagger: Cold War In The Days Of The Czars Looking for Trouble