Start by marking “I Pledge Allegiance” as Want to Read:
I Pledge Allegiance
Preview

I Pledge Allegiance

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Finally, here's a picture book that helps young children move beyond rote recitation of the Pledge to find meaning in its language. This is the book parents and teachers have been waiting for." — BOOKLIST (starred review)

"I led a pigeon to the flag" . . . "and to the wee puppet" . . . "one
nation, and a vegetable" . . . What was that again? Children in the United States ha
Published June 3rd 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I Pledge Allegiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Pledge Allegiance

Andrew Schoenfelder
When was the last time you read a book with the main text being shorter than the illustrations and comments it correlates with? This book was a first for me in that sense with so much describing and tiny captions describing what each phrase of the pledge of allegiance truly means. The characters were simple stick figures but the use of variety in color made the images seem fun and enjoyable. The first and last pages of the book are the flag of the United States which looks to have been painted b ...more
Lita
This book teaches young children the Pledge of Allegiance. Each page has a word from the Pledge of Allegiance and a short definition or explanation of each word in the Pledge. This book includes the meaning of the colors of the flag and explains the symbolism of the stars and stripes. This is an excellent book to use to help students understand the meaning of our Pledge and why it is important.
Krista Rey
This book is about the pledge of allegiance and the different parts of it. At first glance, this book simply states the pledge so kids can learn it, but looking closer it is something more. Each page breaks down a part of the pledge and explains what it means since there are some hard words in the pledge. For example, on the flag page, the explain nation is explaining that "a flag is a symbol that stands for a place, a think or an idea." Another page in the book talks about a republic, which is ...more
Kayla
Great book to teach kids how to be patriotic and it's good for all cultures. In a dramatic play area the kids could make flags from the country they are from and have a parade
Sara
Used this book with my Daisy/Brownie scout troop to teach them a bit more about all the words they say every morning when they say the pledge. The book really breaks down the power of the words in the pledge that can just become rote and rehearsed when said so often. Was a great teaching tool.
Alma Loredo
For the most part, all students are expected to recite the pledge of allegiance in school. Personally, I remember having to say it but never really paid attention to what it actually means. I think this book is a great book to have and show the studnets the importance of reciting the pledge rather than just making them say it. I believe that when we know the importance of something we are more willing to do it. This is a great book to inform our students of the significance of the pledge and at ...more
Shakeema Gabriel
This book is very informational. This book teaches the children the pledge of allegiance and what each part means. Most of the time we teach children the pledge but don't explain or break it down what it means. This would make a nice lesson plan.
Julie Graham 47150
In my first grade classroom, my students learn about the places they live (solar system, planet, country, state, city, and home). When they learn about our country they find it has many symbols - the flag, the Bald Eagle, the National Anthem, the Statue of Liberty, and the Liberty Bell. When learning about the flag, I read them this book and we discuss what the words to the pledge mean. Even some of Martin's words are a little tough for first graders so our discussion, and using some analogies ( ...more
Amanda Andrews
I would really like to use this book to have my students examine the meaning of the pledge of allegiance. This would be particularly effective in 3rd grade, when studying government or 4th grade while studying about the creating of America. The books takes you through each line of the pledge and talks about what it mean. It is something students say everyday, and understanding its meaning would make it much more meaningful to them.
Victoria Binkerd
I used this book for a social studies lesson about the pledge of allegiance in order to help my 1st grade students understand the vocabulary better. It is easy to go through the rote process of placing one's hand over their heart and not knowing what he/she is actually saying, but Bill Martin did a great job breaking up the vocabulary into simpler terms. Chris Raschka did a top notch job on the illustrations, as always.
Caroline Petty
I think that this is a great book to teach children the history of the pledge of allegiance along with it's importance. Too often in schools today, we see children that simply don't care about saying the pledge. As a proud American, this upsets me. This book would be good to not only let children know about what the pledge is, but also what it's words mean and how we should feel as we say these sacred words.
Monique Mcdonald
This book would be great for when your giving lessons about government and what the pledge means, which is good since students do have to cite it everyday. I would have students come up with reasons as to why they think we say the pledge and what it means. Students will look up definitions for words that are complicated. I would then read this book to clarify for us.
Christina Bontrager
I could use this book in my classroom for almost any grade level. The main words are the pledge of allegiance, but it is broken up into just a few words per page. Then there are descriptions and pictures to help students understand what each word means. Younger students would be able to read the pledge of allegience, and older students could read the entire book.
Jamie
This is such a kid-friendly book about the Pledge of Allegiance. I feel like so many students repeat it but have NO idea what it even means. I learned a lot from this book and my students could learn a lot from it as well. I think I would teach this with the New Nation social studies unit in 4th grade. It could be used in any grade, though, really.
Datoria
(I) The is a nice informative picture book. I would use it for k-3rd. I think that this book is just right for that age group. This book tells the importance of and the meaning of the pledge of allegiance. This book would be great to integrate social studies with writing. I think that the pledge of allegiance would be a great topic to write on.
Audrey Harlan
This book would be great to use when talking about the Pledge of Allegiance. Many people say it everyday but fail to know what it really means. This book really breaks it down and explains the history of the words. I would use this book when talking about government, patriotism, or discussing the new nation. This book is for all ages. I loved it.
Samantha
The Pledge of Allegiance set against ink and torn paper illustrations of the American flag and images relating to the meaning behind the poem. Sidebars of information define complex vocabulary words and explain concepts relating to the principles upon which the founding fathers created our nation. Great read aloud, especially for K-6.
Sheri
I used this book yesterday to explain the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance. The book was great at simplifying the meaning of each word or phrase. I am not a big fan of the illustrations, but the colors fit the topic extremely well. I plan on using this book each year to teach the Pledge of Allegiance.
Sarah Morrison
This book doesn't have a real story within it. This book explains the meaning behind the pledge of allegiance in terms that children can understand. The illustrations in the are minimalist and really interesting. This book would not work well for a read aloud however because there is no coherent story.
Sarah Cofer
My son is in Kindergarten and learning the pledge of allegiance. I took this home because it is an excellent explanation of the pledge. Like what exactly does allegiance mean? Indivisible? the republic? etc. Great explanation!! Unfortunately, the boy wasn't that interested.
Claudia
This book really goes into the meaning of the pledge of allegiance and why we say it. So many times we say things without knowing why we do or what it means, so this book shows us the meaning behind every word and could also be used in a government unit.
Katelyn Warner
* Breaks down the Pledge of Allegiance
* Explains symbolism behind the flag and its colors
* Good for a lesson on our country's formation
* Could plan an extension activity where students disect another country's flag
* Good for all ages

***
Petersen
I loved how this book gives meaning and understanding to the pledge. It makes you take a minute and think about those words and what they truly stand for.

A great read for your school age kids and a wonderful reminder to each of us as well.
Mekia
This book has the pledge of allegiance and it goes into the meanings of certain words in the pledge. Also, it tells us why we do what we do, and that no matter how much we may disagree we always stick together.
Rebecca Dean
This would be the perfect book to read to the class when teaching them the pledge. I wish I this book to read when i was learningt he pledge so I would know what it all meant. This is a great scaffolding tool.
Kim Browning
This book tells the Pledge of Allegiance along with lots of other patriotic facts throughout the book. This is a GREAT book for a class at the beginning of the school year. Loved this book!
Sandra
Great Book for teaching kids the meaning behind the pledge and helping them understand the big words, but the illustrations weren't my favorite (especially the backwards flag on the last page).
Tina
I remember in the fifth grade actually learning what the pledge of allegiance meant. I hope to teach it to my students at a much younger age. This book is a great tool.
Nancy
I randomly found this for .99 on a scholastic book order, and it's a great book to explain and illustrate the pledge our children say in class each school day.
Tania
I really like this book because it is very kid friendly. I think this would be good to use to teach students why he actually say the pledge of allegiance.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC