Start by marking “Existentialism” as Want to Read:
Existentialism

Existentialism

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With Selections from Kierkegaard, Turgener, Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Hesse, Heidegger, Marcel, Jaspers, Kafka, Gide, Sartre, Merleau-Ponty, de Beauvoir, Rieocer, Berdygev, Buber, Tillich, Pinter, Beckett, Mailer, Laing, Bellon Bach, Weiss, and Muller.
Paperback
Published February 1st 1974 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages

To ask other readers questions about Existentialism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Existentialism

Chris
I really enjoyed this collection of excerpts from existentialist writings. I liked that it opened my eyes to the different kind of thinkers within this tradition: liked some, loathed some. It gathered from about 26 writers from Kierkegaard to Arthur Miller, and concentrated more heavily on the more well-known contributors like Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Camus, and Sartre. I came to this book having read some from this philosophical emphasis, but I wasn’t disappointed in the selections wh ...more
Jacob
Sep 19, 2007 Jacob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young Jacob
This was an optional reader for a class that I took with the late Robert Solomon. All royalties went to the keg fund for a party that he threw for his students. It's a tiny little book, but it has breadth; besides the obvious and indispensable inclusions, like Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, Sartre, and Camus, there are selections from Merleau-Ponty, Buber, Pinter, Beckett, and even Barth. Oh yeah -- if you like Hesse, then get your motor running, because he's in here, too.

Among the major selecti
Alexander Francis
This book has introduced me to Existentialism and now I really want to learn more. I have enjoyed the thoughts posed about individualism, that we are choosers, "bad faith", seeing ourselves in the eyes of the other. I have come to many conclusions about how people are objectifying one another. It has expanded my understanding about love and life. I have decided to become more individualistic in my religious practices as well as my social interactions. I am going to read more existentialism this ...more
Ryan Pollock
This book is badass! The introductions to the excerpts in this existential philosophy primer are what really make book worthwhile. After I read this, I got really excited because I knew that Solomon was the head of the Philosophy Dept. at UT. I was really stoked to sit in on some classes. However, I then found out that he died two years ago. Bummer.
Margaret
To be fair, my love for this book is based on my love for Dr. Solomon's Existentialism class that I took in college. It's not necessarily a weekend read, especially the Heidegger excerpts. I actually would recommend checking out the audio for his lectures if you are not used to reading philisophical texts.
Emmett
A selection of representative works from existentialism's philosophers, both the renowned (Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Sartre, etc) and the less well-known (Karl Jaspers, de Unamuno, etc). May be a bit daunting for the first-time reader introduced to existentialism. Good breadth, though.
Steven Wright
Trapped on a desert Island this small book would provide a library of existentialist material , nicely organized and the introduction by Solomon is great
Usman

Very well written and articulate conversations about existentialism.
Chris Feldman
Good intro to the subject by the late Bob Solomon.
Kyle
Pocketbookworthy
Donald Brooks
Donald Brooks marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Martina Shawky
Martina Shawky marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Jasmine Araujo
Jasmine Araujo marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Pamela Gwynn
Pamela Gwynn marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Kleid Bukas
Kleid Bukas marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Tony Elkins
Tony Elkins marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Inês Vaz
Inês Vaz marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Alexis Lain
Alexis Lain is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Jasmine Dirksen
Jasmine Dirksen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
earl west
earl west marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Gaylord Young
Gaylord Young marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Molloy
Molloy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Lama
Lama marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Sunil Dhania
Sunil Dhania marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • The Oxford Companion to Philosophy
  • الوجودية
  • On the Way to Language
  • Power: A Radical View
  • The Primacy of Perception: And Other Essays on Phenomenological Psychology, the Philosophy of Art, History and Politics
  • Philosophical Hermeneutics
  • Logical Investigations, Vol 1 (International Library of Philosophy)
  • Two Cheers for Anarchism: Six Easy Pieces on Autonomy, Dignity and Meaningful Work and Play
Robert C. Solomon (September 14, 1942 – January 2, 2007) was a professor of continental philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.

Early life

Solomon was born in Detroit, Michigan. His father was a lawyer, and his mother an artist. After earning a B.A. (1963) at the University of Pennsylvania, he moved to the University of Michigan to study medicine, switching to philosophy for an M.A. (1965)
More about Robert C. Solomon...
What Nietzsche Really Said No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche Spirituality for the Skeptic: The Thoughtful Love of Life The Big Questions: A Short Introduction to Philosophy (with Source CD-ROM)