One Night

One Night

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  944 ratings  ·  77 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie Macomber comes a remarkable story of dreams awakened and lives transformed in . . . One Night

Carrie Jamison has the success part of "having it all" down pat—but "love/marriage/family" seem just out of reach. Still, she enjoys the admiration of everyone at KUTE radio . . . well, almost everyone. Serious, straightlaced newscas...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night

Lindsay
This book was pretty horrible. Clearly it's predictable in the sense that you know that Carrie and Kyle are going to fall in love even though they hate each other. But it seemed like there wasn't much of a thought out storyline. Like she just made up stuff as she went. Now, I'm not a professional writer, but I always thought that you had to have some ideas as to what you wanted to put in the story. Usually her books are like that. This one wasn't. The only resoniable character in the book was Ky...more
Melissa Mitchell
So. Wow. That happened.
This is the first Debbie Macomber book I've disliked. And I didn't so much dislike it as really, really, really wonder WTF? I agree with the reviewer who said it felt like she made stuff up as she went along {As in, I'm not sure that she knew more than that the two would of course marry at the end. All of the 'adventure' part of the book just seemed so bizarre, so un-planned and it kind of jerked from one 'crisis' to another with little thought}.

I'm not sure what the prob...more
Patt
A lovely story of Carrie Jamison and Kyle Harris, who work for radio station KUTE. They can't stand each other and then they are sent to a convention. They decide to drive together, and Carrie insists they take the scenic route. This leads to an encounter with an FBI most wanted felon. Complications after complications ensue, and , in the midst of the chaos, an unlikely romance develops. This is one Debbie Macomber's early books and I'm so glad I found it.
Michele
Love is on the air

Morning deejay Carrie Jamison spouts the quirky
brand of comedy Kansas City loves to wake up to.
She's skyrocketing in the ratings, and her quick
wit has won her the admiration of everyone at
KUTE radio -- except Kyle Harris. A serious,
no frills newscaster, Kyle disapproved of Carrie's
antics, and isn't afraid to broadcast his feelings
to her or anyone else. When the tension between
them approaches a meltdown, the station
manager delivers a shocking ultimatum:
Carrie and Kyle must m...more
Shari
I really enjoyed this book. It was pretty much a different storyline and very cute. I liked the twists, even though they were what I expected.
Gloria (Dee) Roepke
One Night, if this was a movie it would definitely be classified as a “chick flick.” Carrie and her co-worker, Kyle, are complete opposites, and have a difficult time co-existing at work. To save their jobs they are forced to attend a conference together, that is where everything changes. This book has romance, drama, a bit of comedy, along with some “off-the-wall” events.

I see this being a great book for the younger crowd – twenties & thirties, but was a great beach book for me.
Kristina
This was a cute love story about two radio personalities who volunteered to take a road trip to a convention together which turned into quite the detour and exciting adventure. Of course, spending time together could only mean that they also started figuring out that they liked each other... The end of the book had an interesting twist I didn't see coming involving the "bad guy" in the story. All in all it was a quick and easy yet enjoyable read.
Ada
It was a good read. Enjoyable, light hearted even with the somewhat sinister tone it tried to take up. It's not a must-read, have to recommend but if you pick it up, it'll entertain for the time it takes to read it. I would have liked to see more of a transition between the characters when they move from the hate to the love - it wasn't gradual, just seemed like a switch was flicked and boom, in bed and in love.
Carroll
Very cliche, predictable book. Co worker D.J.'s travelling enroute to a convention break down on an isolated road and are picked up by a criminal. Of course they end up in a small town with only one hotel room avalable where they have to share a room and...you guessed it. Usually I like Debbie Macomber but this book was way too cliche and all I kept thinking was where were their cell phones?
April Suter
Carrie and Kyle are two complete oppposites that can't seem to work together at the radio station so they are fired unless within two weeks they can find a way to get along. Their boss suggest that they take this trip together to convention. They find out that hate and love are connected.
You also get to meet Kyle's flower-child mom and a wanted felon along the way.

356 pages
Ernie
Debbie Macomber is a fine story teller, this book has humor and a good story. It also has a mystery which propels the story forward. At times I laughed out loud at the antics of the heroine, Carrie Jamison.The hero is uptight and conservative, but non the less he becomes endearing as his mis-adventures with Carrie continue.By the end of the book you find them both very likeable.
Diana Burtnett
Easy read - romance. A cashier at Cracker Barrel noticed I was reading it and raved on and on about how she just loved Debbie's books. I'm sure that there are many people who do love her books - I want to read more of them to see if there are things I can learn from her. The fact that she is able to write as many as she does impresses me. Wonder if she has some ghost writers?
Amanda Duciaume
This was a fun read! I seemed to flip through the pages in no time at all. I found myslef able to see some of what was coming- only to find that I was only half correct. The fact that there were things taking place that I did not expect kept me very interested. I would suggest this book to those that like quick reads about a deep love and terrible trouble; all mixed together.
Rosemary
Have mercy. We have a non member in our bookclub and if any of you know me you know that I read anything with words on a page and apologize later, but I knew when this cute lady suggested Debbie Macomber that che is always a fun light romantic read, but she throws some sex in ans boy she did. No one lisyened to my warnings. Book-club should be interesting.
Kshydog
Thought this was going to be just a romance book - characters hate each other because they remind them too much of traits in their parents that they do not like. Liked how suspense was added by the wanted man character. Although predictable it was a nice story to read except for the precautions not taken on that night - not sure that aspect added enough to story.
Laura Beth
So I thought I was reading one of her Christmas novels which this isn't but it still is cute. Liked the lead characters and what they brought to the table. What I wished she gave us was some of their on air chemistry. What made them so popular over the airwaves? That would have been the prefect touch. Will have to give it 3 1/2 stars.
Lorie Steinfeldt
I really enjoy Debbie Macomber, however this book seemed like the traditional romance books. She usually has more realistic feeling to her characters. There was some humor. I just thought it was slow moving and the to main characters went from hating each other to liking and never had any more friction which didn't seem likely.
Caroline
Just when I think I have a favorite book by Debbie Macomber, I read another one of hers and it blows me away. What a great story. It was another fast read, a great story and yet another one I wouldn't mind reading again. I highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed. Thanks Debbie....on to your next one.
Patti Mcconnell
It took me awhile to get into this book, but then I couldn't put it down! It starts out with newscasters that can't get along and then becomes somewhat of a typical romance. However, there is also a mystery that goes along with the story and it has a surprise ending. Loved that part!
Michelle
OK so arn't all romance novels cheezy and predictable? That being said I still love Debbie Macomber and romance novels in general.I would have loved to read the love scenes in this book,in my opinion that would have made a better read and i would have given it 4 stars instead of 3.
Roli
One night was quite intriguing. The cliche that there is a thin line between love and hate played out well in this story. Good story line. Love love Kyle's character. A real man who took responsibility as appropriate to protect his love, and relegated his male ego to the background
Cindy
I loved this book. I prefer books that usually have a happy ending. Life is too full of bad news and awful things going on. There's just nothing like a feel good book. I know it's not for everyone but for those of us who like this kind of book you should read it.
Erum
I started this book by just picking it off the table when I walked by. (But isn't that how all good reads happen? ^^ ) After that I couldn't put it down!

Loved the ending! Totaly didn't see the relationship between between Kyle and Max coming!
Kristi Downs
This book was predictable and cliche, but ya know what?
I loved it. Sometimes it's nice to escape into something so lighthearted and fun. A great story, the best characters ever, and a few surprising twists that I didn't see coming.
Deann Doolittle
Thanks to my mom for letting me borrow this book. I love books that keep you anxious to know what is going to happen so you keep reading and reading until it's done. That was this book. Love the majority of her books anyway.
Katie
Thought this was a great book that offered a mix of romance, drama, comedy, and even a little suspense! I know it's different than most of her books, but I might have to check out a few more after reading this :)
Stephanie Strausberger
As always with Debbie Macomber, it was a wonderful reading experience from cover to cover. This book was slightly different from most of her books, but I liked the change. Definitely recommend this one!
Shari
The story line on this book was fun and every woman's 'dream come true' with a little to much romance. I enjoyed this but found it to be such a short read, I couldn't believe it went so fast!
Marcie
"There's a thin line between love and hate." How many times have I heard that in my life? This book uses that premise to establish a fun, tenuous relationship. It's a great, quick read.
  • Snow Angels
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction\For the Love of Pete
  • Santa In Montana (Calder Saga #11)
  • Sweet Rains: Second Nature / Lessons Learned
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Passing Through Paradise

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)