Blank-133x176
One Fish, Two Fish Book

Dr. Seuss

One Fish, Two Fish Book

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  94,462 ratings  ·  1,433 reviews
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is a 1960 children's book by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). A simple rhyming book for learner readers, it is a book with a freewheeling plot about a boy and a girl, and the many amazing creatures they have for friends and pets. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was part of the Beginner Book Video series which included Oh, the Thin...more
Hardcover
Published by Random House Trade (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about One Fish, Two Fish Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Fish, Two Fish Book

Seth
(This review is in response to a request as to why I have only given One Fish, Two Fish... three stars)

Firmly ensconced in the middle tier of the Dr Seuss canon, One Fish, Two Fish... is many people's favorite for its light humor, catchy, Moliere-esque couplets, and clever use of repetition as well as surprise, as in the title, where the rhyming word comes at the beginning of a repeated syllable, rather than at the end of the phrase.

It earns its place as one of the most quotable (possibly only...more
Jason Koivu
Sheer poetry!

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is a pure genius work of epic poetry. The beginning of the tale focuses on...you guessed it...fish. Pages and pages of fish with various characteristics (mostly harmless) are paraded before the reader in flashes of color and humor. But then (and this is where Dr. Seuss lost a star rating from me) the story veers off and begins introducing a random cast of beings more strange than an assortment of beasties rejected from a circus of the bizarre...more
Sydney
This is the first book I ever read out loud to my mom by myself. Because of this, it will always have a special place in my heart. We had just moved to Illinois. I was 4 1/2. I kept asking my mom to read to me, but she was busy unpacking boxes. She said, "Sound out the words, just like I showed you, and you can do it yourself."
So in my determined little way I said, "Fine." Later that afternoon, I read it to her. She was shocked. She kept grabbing books off the shelf to test me, thinking I'd memo...more
Stephen
3.0 stars. Another clever, original Children's story by the legendary Dr. Seuss. Not his best, but still great to read with the kids.
Brad
When I reach for a Dr. Seuss, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is never the book I reach for. If I need something quick because the kids are late for bed, I grab The Sneetches and pick a tale. If there's more time, but I'm still in a hurry, Green Eggs and Ham is the perfect choice. When two year old Scoutie wants a book, I grab the easiest Seuss of them all, Hop on Pop (just as I did when the twins were babes). If I want to have some fun for myself, I grab the tongue twisterrific Fox in Sock...more
Sarah Sammis
One of the joys of being a parent is sharing old favorites with my children. Harriet and Sean are now discovering Dr. Seuss. We are reading through all of his books and have landed on my all time favorite: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. From the time I was Harriet's age to being in second or third grade, I read this book on an almost daily basis. I really don't know how many times I've read it (either listening to it being read by one of my parents or reading it myself).

One Fish, Two...more
Abi
ya gotta love dr. seuss
Shannon The Show Stopper
This is one of my favorites!
Bethany
Jan 01, 2014 Bethany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fans of Dr Seuss.
Okay, I'm not ashamed to admit it- I stole this from my cousin. She didn't miss it as it was sneakily done. I had heard some raving reviews about this book from 'ole Goodreads and although as a child myself I was never a fan I thought I would give it a go. So, when I discovered the book and film The Grinch which is one of my favourites, and saw this book innocently laying on the table I thought that this was an opportunity to great to miss.

I read this book and although I enjoyed it very much it...more
Tamara
Who doesn't like Dr. Seuess? Even my 18-month-old picks this book over her previous favorites, wanting to read this book cover-to-cover (an amazing feat for an 18-month-old to sit still that long) at least twice in a row.
jenna nims
i know everyone will probably hate me for not liking this but it is a pain to read to your child - a bunch of nonsense words rhyming does not always entertain - and in this case neither me or caroline were entertained.
Keeley Mali
MY Favorite Dr. Suess book. I actually have the entire book memorized, my girls get a kick out of me reciting it! One of my many useless talents thank you! :)
Hulaimat Iyabo
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is a fantastic book of poetry by Dr. Seuss. It has no real plot but is packed full of imaginative, silly and funny creatures doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things. It is a great book to introduce children to different poetry styles, with features such as alliteration, rhythm and rhyme, repetition and many tongue twisters.
It is also great for teaching children counting, colours and opposite words, these can be found in lines such as;
“Some are old....more
Kiera Turner
Dr. Seuss was a genius! His books are absolutely awesome and are the best teachers when it comes to rhyming and phonemic awareness! I remember my mom reading me all of the Dr. Seuss books when I was younger! Now I share all my Dr. Seuss books with my children in the classroom!
Rose
Ned's situation thoroughly delivers the schadenfreude. We're left hanging, however, with Clark's lack of development. I'm curious to learn what became of this character. How much did you grow, Clark, and why were you in that dark park? Perhaps a sequel is in order, not simply for plot twist closure; I very much look forward to counting beyond two.
Anne
Jul 07, 2007 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to do voices when they read aloud
Shelves: kidsteens
A great read-aloud for doing funny voices. And it has a great message as well: "From near to far, from far to near, funny things are everywhere." Everyone should take a little time to enjoy the absurd, and where better to start than with Dr. Seuss?
August Maclauchlan
We looove this book. Even though its not on a hook:) the boys laughed and were full of glee, though I'm not sure if they liked it more than me
John Yelverton
Yet another fun and exciting book from the mind of Dr. Seuss.
Hannah Grippo
my favoirte of Seuss. It's of no plot, so there's the wonderland quality of just what's gonna happen next. Even after many reads, I really enjoy it because of the stream of thoughts, following no order, of interesting and DIVERSE (which he stresses) things of what you see throughout the day. There's the child's perception of "funny things" that is frank and genuine. Like wishing you had 11 fingers, or why do peole who can't read look at books, or imagining the fun in work (milking a cow, opening...more
Stefanie
When I was in 1st grade I read this entire book to the class. My teacher, Mrs Barley - gave me a mini trophy with a google eye sticker saying "Good Job." This award was not for reading the book, but the fact that I read the whole thing holding it in front of me - essentially reading it upside down. Even Mrs Barley had to hold books at an angle to read to the class and show the pictures. Yes, this is one of my shining childhood moments that I am most proud of. I can read upside down. I was thrill...more
Erik Graff
Oct 13, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Shelves: art
Dad's mother, Lajla, was as generous with my little brother, Fin Einar, as she had been with me, buying both of us many books when we were children. In the case of this book, it came as part of some mail-order offer, Fin receiving a package with a new offering each month or so. Not all of these cheaply-made hardcovers were by Dr. Seuss, but those that were by him were the only ones I could read aloud again and again without getting insufferably bored.

Now, many years later, I have another little...more
Jessica
This book is a wonderful story time book! It has colors, counting, rhyming, and letter repetition. The illustrations are wonderfully entertaining(as usual) and colorful. While the story itself is full of laughs that keep children on the edge of their seats. The only reason that I give this book a four-star is because of its length. Getting young children to sit still for this entire book would definitely be challenging for children in a group. Although it was my sons favorite bed-time story when...more
DJ Harris
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss is a 1960's children's book that remains timeless. I read this book often with my grandson, Gauge.

Gauge is 4-years-old and loves this simple rhyming book designed for learner readers like him. The book's freewheeling plot about a boy and a girl, and the many amazing creatures they have for friends and pets keeps him excited and entertained.

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss Five Star Review
Asalyn Holliday
I think this book is great for so many reasons. It could be used to teach about rhyming, phonics, colors, and numbers. It makes me think of our Literacy Text and how it says there should be many different kinds of books covering different concepts available in the classroom. This book covers several all in one!
Kelly  Schuknecht
Dr. Seuss books are classic. This is one of my favorites because while written in 1960, I have to wonder if Barnes and Noble was inspired by this book when naming their e-book reading device, the Nook..."We took a look. We saw a Nook. On his head he had a hook. On his hook he had a book."

One Fish Two Fish Read Fish Blue Fish doesn't read like a story, but is more of a collection of child-length short stories. Each page is a new adventure as we explore everything from the fish to a Wump, a Zans,...more
Alexander
This book is not so much a story but a random collection of strange creatures doing strange things or being described. The main style is clearly rhyme and rhythm with very wacky illustrations.
This Dr Seuss’ book is of course a classic and favourite of many. I loved this book and how it is set out. The ridiculous and random nature of the creatures and events is very creative and original. The rhyming language makes the book feel like a song or poem. Reading it on the Tube as an adult put a smile...more
Tatiana
The meandering plot of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is about a boy and a girl, and the many different and wacky creatures they have for pets and friends in the colorful world of Dr. Seuss. Descriptions of fish evolve into accounts of imaginary bike-pushers, Nooks who cannot cook, and a Gox who likes to box. The day of fun ends and all the creatures turn in, but not before promising that “tomorrow is another one.”

This is a simple rhyming book for beginning readers. Much like Mother Goo...more
Connie
Please note that it is a bit long - definitely not a great readaloud for any child with a short attention span.

It also does jump around a lot. That's an asset in an early reader - it means that the kids can stop reading when they get frustrated and pick it up again when they're ready. They don't have to worry about remembering plot points for more than two pages.

I like this book, my nieces like it (when they're willing to sit through it), that's what matters.

I will note that some people might ob...more
Julia Stevens
Great for learning numbers, colors, phonics and rhyming. Short words and sentences make it an easy, independent read.
Annette Taylor-james
This book is great at circle-time it helps to re-enforce colors and numbers it also teaches addition. It is colorful and easy to read and I love how repetitive it is.
why do i love this book? 16 55 Aug 27, 2014 09:19PM
I think everyone has to love Dr.Suess's books 10 31 Jun 05, 2014 10:33AM
1st Period Langua...: Rachels book 3 1 2 May 03, 2014 05:45PM
1st Period Langua...: Book 3 1 3 Apr 14, 2014 06:15PM
If you could make any of Dr. Suess's books into a movie which would it be and why? 9 29 Feb 14, 2014 07:29AM
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • Barnyard Dance
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax

“From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!” 3001 likes
“My shoe is off. My foot is cold. I have a bird I like to hold.” 186 likes