Start by marking “Rapid Development” as Want to Read:
Rapid Development

Rapid Development

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,049 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Get your development schedules under control and on track Corporate and commercial software-development teams all want solutions for one important problem--how to get their high-pressure development schedules under control. In RAPID DEVELOPMENT, author Steve McConnell addresses that concern head-on with overall strategies, specific best practices, and valuable tips that he ...more
Paperback
Published by Irwin/McGraw-Hill (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rapid Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapid Development

Jim Butler
Feb 23, 2008 Jim Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
How can I add any value to the multitude of reviews that obviously say "You must buy this"?
When I was working 80 hours a week - this was the only book I read cover-to-cover.

When I lent my book to one of my staff and he left the firm, I bought another copy off the shelf within 24 hours (I couldn't wait for Amazon's delivery time). This was after having read the book twice.

This is the only book I have bought 3 copies: one for work, one for home, and one to share. It's the only book which caused me
Toby Reiter
Aug 27, 2007 Toby Reiter added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in any stage of IT project management
This book is as much about psychology as it is about specific IT techniques for rapidly developing applications. Many of the books lessons focus on managing expectations, avoiding common political and personal pitfalls during the development process, and anticipating and controlling change.

For developers, this pairs very well with Code Complete.
Nathan
Sep 03, 2008 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on Project Management. This book was required as in college and I was fortunate this book was assigned as a read. Great concepts on managing expectations, dealing with business politics, and delivering projects.

Worth the read.
Emily
Oct 01, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Project Managers
I probably wouldn't have read this book if I hadn't been assigned to read it. It is written for software developers, but I believe that any project manager could learn a lot. This book has really opened my eyes.
Dax
Jan 18, 2008 Dax rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a lot better than (the more famous) Code Complete by the same author, and perhaps the best software engineering best-practices book there is.
Robert Kennedy
Nov 28, 2015 Robert Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this has aged as well as Code Complete, but still has a ton of great insights. I would love to see an updated version written in the age of iterative delivery.
Rapid
Aug 28, 2015 Rapid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Эта книга посвящена организации процесса разработки программ. Она написана для людей, цель которых создать программный продукт максимально быстро. Автор рассматривает общие, философские идеи быстрой разработки, классические организационные ошибки и эффективные методы повышения скорости разработки.

В книге нет советов по написанию кода. Несмотря на это, мне, как простому программисту, который в основном пишет код, правит баги и лишь изредка может повлиять на процесс разработки, она очень понравила
Matt
May 14, 2012 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really showing it's age. McConnell's advice feels genuine, but the data is based on experiences from the early 90s. A lot has happened in the software world between then and now so there are many things that don't fit with some of the best practices that modern development embraces. Unless you're staying on top of how companies do development today, it's hard to filter out what is outdated advice versus what is still relevant. Therefore, in spite of the book having some good ...more
Marcio Endo
Jan 21, 2014 Marcio Endo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dev
Eu diria que se trata de uma leitura essencial a qualquer profissional da área de desenvolvimento.

É possível extrair lições de cada uma de suas mais de 600 páginas.

Para alguns, o livro talvez seja duro de se ler. Isto porque o autor é bastante honesto e realista (gosto de dizer que ele é, nos dias de hoje, politicamente incorreto).

Escrito em 1996, permanece mais do que atual. Diria que é umas das 'bíblias' da Engenharia de Software ao lado do 'The mythical man-month'.
Craig Cecil
Feb 24, 2012 Craig Cecil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
This book should be read, re-read, memorized, and used by anyone involved in the planning, management, development, or deployment of software. It's that good. Steve McConnell presents a succinct, well organized collection of the lessons learned and best practices in software engineering over the last three decades.
Hasyimi Bahrudin
Just got the book today. I'm pretty impressed with the book quality. Just a few flipped pages (for bookmarking) here and there. No stains (so far). No missing pages (so far). Pretty good deal for an awesome book!
Marc D.
Feb 26, 2012 Marc D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the classics collections that everybody that manages software development teams should have read and re-read. Some concepts are a little outdated but overall it is amazing how little has changed in the software development field. Most of the best practices still hold true after many years.
Wangshan Lu
Jan 29, 2014 Wangshan Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive treatment of software development.
Lauri
Jun 22, 2010 Lauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taming Wild Software Schedules is no joke....
Ben Haley
Feb 10, 2010 Ben Haley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another from the Art of Project Management which will be useful for the type of development we do at PERTS.
Justin
Top notch advice from a giant in the field. Any developer or manager who wishes to elevates their skills to true engineering needs to read this book, cover to cover.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A should-read book on product development for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Doug
Aug 06, 2011 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed a bit obvious to me, but others have told me they really liked.
Michael Fruergaard
680p- 01-02-2007
Sridhar Jammalamadaka
Loved this book. Wonderful content presented well. A must read for IT services providers to improve customer delight and avoid schedule slippages.
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2012
Thanh
I's very good, thanks a lot!
Craig Schwarze
Craig Schwarze rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Mike Duigou
Mike Duigou rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Patrik
Patrik rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Erik Lidström
Erik Lidström rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Scott Holmes
Scott Holmes rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Andreas
Andreas rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
  • Dynamics of Software Development
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Writing Secure Code
  • The Best Software Writing I
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Programming Pearls
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Refactoring to Patterns (Addison Wesley Signature Series)
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Writing Effective Use Cases
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Choose your battles. If rapid development is truly top priority, don't shackle your developers by insisting on too many priorities at once.” 1 likes
“Study after study has shown that motivation probably has a larger effect on productivity and quality than any other factor” 1 likes