Start by marking “Snowfall: Book One of the Snowfall Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Snowfall: Book One of the Snowfall Trilogy

Snowfall: Book One of the Snowfall Trilogy (Snowfall #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Snowfall features another sharp-tongued, uncompromising heroine, Catania Olsen. She is the doctor for and spiritual guardian of a band of hunters who live at the edge of a great Wall of ice in what was once Colorado. In the country of the Trappers, books are hand-copied so that knowledge may be preserved, but the technology described in their precious pages is mostly lost ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Forge Books (first published February 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Snowfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowfall

Cheryl
From Publishers Weekly: Suspense novelist Smith (Reprisal) delivers a dark, creepy tale of human survival set several hundred years after an apocalypse caused by a change in Jupiter's orbit. Almost a sci-fi yarn without the gadgets and gizmos, Smith's thriller focuses on groups of people kicked backwards down the stairs of knowledge and discovery, trying to maintain a society in the face of starvation and invasion. North America is divided geographically by an ice wall a mile high that runs east ...more
Robert Vaughan
This book had a strange hook for me. I found it on the barracks trade shelf at the Presido of Monterey my last tour there in 2002. (It's where soldiers leave books when they're done and have a nice swap system in place.)

I read it and enjoyed it very much, and some themes stuck with me after I passed it off to a buddy. I don't know why some scenes stuck so well in my head, but over the years many of the descriptive passages would come back to me. Unfortunately, after passing the book off, I promp
Celise
Dec 15, 2009 Celise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of anthropology looking for a diversion
Shelves: fiction
The Good: A very interesting treatment of aspects of the basic survival instincts and needs--food, shelter, sex, companionship, love. Self-centeredness of each grouping of people was also a theme. After reading Villette and Snowfall simultaneously, it would be quite interesting to compare the two! One of my intense curiosities while reading Snowfall was that the people had all sorts of "Warm-time" written resources, but didn't speak the Warm-time language -- just used a word or phrase here and t ...more
The Hermit's
This is the first and best in a post-apocalyptic trilogy set a hundred or so years from the present told from the perspective of Catania Olsen, a mountain trapper tribe's female doctor and the nearest thing to an intellectual. It seemed to be a plausible future account if and when statehood, technology and intelligence collapse. Only small hints of advanced technology exist in New England and such people and their abilities are feared by the rest of the nation's tribes and thought of as being un ...more
Michael J
This is one of my all-time favorite books, and at least for me, it's one of those books that you read, and you find that it sticks in your brain, and you keep thinking about it months and years after you've read it.

I used to own a paperback copy, which I had read multiple times, and earlier this year I sold off most of my paperback books. I made sure that this series was available in Kindle format, however, before I sold my paperback copy.

What I like most about this book is that the author immer
Sharon Zink
A good book about a time hundreds of years in the future in a new Ice Age set in the former United States. Describes life, travel, and the dispersal of a small tribe in the Rocky Mountains.
Ed
In the far future the world is quite different after meteors have created a prolonged ice age. Books are nearly non-existent since they have not survived the long winter. But the spirit of surviving humans lives strong. This is the first book in the Snowfall trilogy.

The plot and characters are extremely strong and the paceing excellent. I was continually surprised at the various cultures and survival methods of the people in different parts of the land that was at one time the US.

The first book
Eric
Excellent. Soft apocalypse, set during an ice age several centuries from now. Tells the story of the virtual annihilation of a settlement of Trappers who live at the edge of a North American glacier, mostly from the point of view of the Trappers' young scarred female warrior/doctor.

It takes a really interesting look at our civilization, technology, and language through outside-eyes. Smith has built an excellent world that just feels right. Real. Reminds me of the first Jean Auel "Cave Bear" nove
Jennybeast
The ice age returneth! Compelling, interesting, I enjoyed it, like, you know, the Postman, or Waterworld. Too much violence and death for me to want to continue with the trilogy, though I suspect the next book might be better, as it looks more magically inclined. It reminds of Annie Dillard's The Living, about the early pioneer days of Washington state. I hate that book. This one was marginally better because I like post apocalyptic settings, and at least one character does live throughout the e ...more
Donna
This is the first of a trilogy and I was pleasantly surprised. The genre is fantasy, but unlike some in this genre, it wasn't too "out-there" for me. Set in the future by about 500 years, people are struggling to survive, since the earth was plunged into another ice age due to comets hitting Jupiter (no other details given about what happened). Interesting story & characters and the plot moves along. The survivors are basically caught in a "turf war" with different factions of people. We'll ...more
Beverly
Apr 17, 2010 Beverly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi lovers of post apoctalyptic stories
What I learned is that the author is an excellent writer. I consider any book good that keeps me engrossed until the very end. Now it is not high literature - if it was I probably wouldn't have read the whole thing. Because it wouldn't keep me engrossed. I don't identify long winded soliloquies about evil or fate or whatever...Why I'm attracted to post-apoctalyptic or just apocalyptic stories I don't know. Unless it's because I see my own life as a post-apocalytic one, after a traumatic childhoo ...more
Linda
I did not know this was the first book in a trilogy until after I read it. It did seem incomplete and I am not sure why it was called Snowfall because it seems the snow fell a long time before this book started. I would like to read a prequel to this because the coming of another iceage was really interesting but this was more like a long time after and everyone is used to the weather by then.
I might read the sequels but since everyone dies off all the time there aren't many people to get attach
Hayley
The concept of the story was interesting, based on bands of humans surviving many years after a new ice age. Modern society, beliefs and technology had been lost and humans reverted back to a more savage life. Pretty much what humans would have been like thousands of years ago.

Some of the characters had a slight depth to them, but the majority were flat. The story had great potential but I found the ending to be a bit disappointing. An average read overall.
Janet
While reading it, I liked it but also found myself quibbling with the ecology of the Trappers' world. After I finished it, I found that I kept thinking about the different societies he creates in his post-apocalyptic world. Much of the book takes place in the first one, the Trappers, which was the least interesting to me. I should get the sequel to learn more about the others. I really enjoy the main narrator, Doctor Catania Olsen. She's tough, and wise.
Noel
I read this a few years ago at my mom's recommendation and totally loved the entire trilogy. If I go all Hollywood and "The Player", this is Hunger Games meets Lonesome Dove. Very interesting trilogy...post-apocolyptic, I THINK, or maybe after Global Chilling, if that's a phrase we can even recognize. Fun for those of use who like this stuff. Loved it and will re-read (after a few more years), which I do not say often.
Dale
Interesting premise for a series. Jupiter's orbit gets messed up, causing another Ice Age. Strong characters, and good pacing. This installment set up the world and the characters, it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Michael
Just a book for entertainment (feeding my love of postapocalyptic mayhem). Not as well written as "The Passage" but Smith does build an engaging world even though it feels at times he is trying too hard.
Phair
A good adventure with some good world- and society-building. The people on the cover of the paperback were far too 'pretty" and did not match my vision of the characters in any way.
Paula
I'll definitely read the other books in this trilogy. This one was really good -- about a post-apocalyptic society living in a new ice age.
Cynthia
Good one. Like a post-apocalyptic Clan of the Cave Bear. Part of a series.
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Briar Buckler
Briar Buckler marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • Some Will Not Die
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Wolf and Iron
  • Dark Universe
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Cemetery World
  • Glimmering
  • Warrior
  • When Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1)
  • Edenborn (Idlewild, #2)
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • The Genocides
  • The Long Tomorrow
  • The Winter of the World
  • The Rift
  • Nature's End
  • Gather, Darkness!
  • Greybeard
Mitchell Smith is an American author writing crime fiction and science fiction.

Also known as Roy LeBeau.
More about Mitchell Smith...

Snowfall (3 books)
  • Kingdom River: Book Two of the Snowfall Trilogy
  • Moonrise: Book Three of the Snowfall Trilogy
Stone City Kingdom River: Book Two of the Snowfall Trilogy Moonrise: Book Three of the Snowfall Trilogy Karma Due North