Start by marking “Fear the Night” as Want to Read:
Fear the Night

Fear the Night (Night #5)

A madman's obsession is a city's nightmare. . .

He comes out when the sun goes down. He delivers death from the barrel of a rifle. He's made New York City his shooting gallery. Men and women, natives and tourists, young and old, have all been his victims. The press has named him The Night Sniper. He taunts those who would try and stop him, threatening to increase the body c
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published December 6th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fear the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear the Night

Donna
May 23, 2017 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
New York CIty cop Vin Repetto retired after taking a bullet on the job. He was the best at catching serial killers. Now, someone is killing innocent bystanders on the streets and the public has dubbed the killer as the Night Sniper. The Night Sniper insists that he will only deal with Repetto and he will keep killing until Repetto gets involved. After someone close to Repetto is killed, he is determined to bring the serial sniper to justice.

Although I didn't like this one as much as I usually li
Ruth Niles
Apr 27, 2010 Ruth Niles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the library, looking for a book by Lisa Lutz (not there), I saw this audio book and took a chance. Great story, good reader (always helps), full of action. There's a night sniper who tells the police who the next victim will be, not by name but by the nursery rhyme "rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief, etc." And he still kills them all. Very well written, action and suspense right to the end. I would like to read more books by John Lutz.
Susan
Jun 01, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense thriller fans
I have enjoyed many previous John Lutz novels, including those featuring NYPD Detective Frank Quinn. In Fear the Night, Lutz introduces a new character, another retired NYPD Detective named Vin Repetto. Unlike Quinn, Repetto is married and has a college-aged daughter. Although I enjoyed the book, I have to say that I prefer Quinn and the characters associated with him.

However, Lutz does his usual masterful job of creating a dark and devious villain, in this case a serial killer sniper, who prow
Jan
The Night Sniper's rampage in New York has called a decorated police captain out of retirement and it turns into a lethal game of cat and mouse. The characters are well formed and the story of how the Night Sniper came to be was well done.
Al Canary
It was a fun read, with lots of "backstory" on the characters, but with no clue as to why the killer was so focused on the lead detective...??? Hmmmmm... I guess that this genre doessnt always have to contain plausability. LgGrin
Joe
Jul 23, 2011 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fear the Night is an o.k. sniper/serial killer story. Good character development leads to big let down. Rework the ending and I would add a star. As it is, I would say "skip it."
Cathy
Oct 04, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/6/11 Oh, man, I have to set this aside. It is very slow going. Two days and I haven't gotten to page 100 yet. That's not typical of my reading. Nothing against the book otherwise just not moving very quickly through the story. I won't say boring but it's close.

10/9/11 I persevered and finished this book this morning. It was excellently written but could have been considerably shortened. Page count over 480 could have been 100 less and still told the story.

Vin Repetto, retired NYPD serial kill
Sharon
Feb 24, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction, crime
This book was a disappointment to me, but don't let that stop you if you like this sort of writing. The story was decent but predictable. While I enjoyed listening to it on CD, many things about the writing gave me pause, interupting the flow of the story. It's extremely cliched in every way. Every female is beautiful and described physically in detail. Come on. LAPD? Full of gorgeous women?

This isn't a book for more sophisticated tastes. There are enough awkward adjectives for the reader to ta
Jen
Jul 21, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book because it was on a shelf at the lodge we stayed at during vacation, and I'd already read the book I brought with me.

Fear the Night was okay, but pretty formulaic. Also, the proofreader should be shot. There was one page in which the word "arugula" was misspelled 3 times, and in 3 different ways. Also, the lead character's daughter's last name was misspelled twice in one paragraph.
Kay
Oct 04, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
There's a pattern to Lutz's books. With a serial killer terrorizing New York City, a retired policeman is hired to set up a task force with two other policemen [or women]. They are always good books, but I do wish he used Frank Quinn for all his books rather than changing the retiree. I suggest you don't read two of his in a row because they blend together!
Marca
Nov 03, 2009 Marca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luann
Apr 14, 2014 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
I have yet to be disappointed with a John Lutz novel. He's characters are always well developed and believable. While this serial killer was somewhat "tame" in comparison to previous stories, it was still a page-turner from start to finish.
Becky
Feb 09, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one started out slow but got better as it progressed. I liked Repetto, though all of John Lutz's books seem to have the same characters and the same story lines, just different killers. I still like the Frank Quinn series the best.
Heather
This was a story with interesting characters and a quick pace. It was good, but it has pretty graphic (and a multitude of) death scenes, and I kept feeling like this was a sequel to a previous book or series, but I don't find any evidence of that.
Marion Mockridge
Audiobook narrated by Scott Brick: a sniper stalks New York City; chilling and realistic. Compelling. Great ending. Lead detective was disappointing as a crime solver. Women play key rolls in the story. Great ending but no justice.
Renee
Sep 01, 2007 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good and fast-paced.
Cindy
Jun 26, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reader: Scott Brick gives his usual good reading performance. Serial killer story is interesting but graphic sex & foul language - unnecessary, especially for such a good storyteller.
John Bruening
Dec 13, 2012 John Bruening rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
First book read from John lutz and thoroughly enjoyed it! It was fast paced and kept me near the edge of my seat. I guess that's what any book about a serial killer would do though.
Stunatra
Aug 06, 2012 Stunatra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worst-2012
50ish pages in and I can't handle the writer's style anymore. THE guy doesn't have "IT" and doesn't take me away and make me forget I'm reading.
Marla
Mar 11, 2014 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This was a good series although they could definitely be read as stand alones.
Jul 24, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read this book from the series. I enjoyed it, but imagine it would be better in the context of the series and known characters.
Clare
Jul 01, 2014 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't get into this one for some reason, I kept picking it up and putting it down. I think I'll stick with the other series by the same author.
Elaine
Feb 15, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the story is basically good, it is practically a carbon copy of all his others with names changed
Dennis
Dec 03, 2015 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always a good thing when one discovers a new excellent author , and one that has a lengthy catalog .
Ruth
ok. good plot.retired homicide detective Vin Repetto hunts a serial killer that has the city in terror.
Adam Wilson
Jun 15, 2015 Adam Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manages not to feel as formulaic as most pulp mysteries while using a few mystery cliches. How does Lutz pull it off? It's a mystery!
Julie
Feb 13, 2010 Julie marked it as books-i-gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Jake Holeman
Shelves: mystery
I figure if a mystery novel doesn't suck me in within 100 pages, it's not worth reading. I gave up on this one.
Chad
Dec 03, 2007 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read - not quite police procedural, not quite thriller. Not really a mystery. I'm not sure it falls into a category...was expecting one of the three I guess.
Ronald
Nov 07, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorites in the series so far. You could almost feel the paranoia from having a sniper that no one could find or figure out his next target. Really liked the main characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Upside Down
  • Final Justice
  • Face of a Killer (Sydney Fitzpatrick #1)
  • Midnight Rain
  • Tap,Tap
  • Bird's-Eye View
  • Mortal Faults (Abby Sinclair and Tess McCallum, #4)
  • Whitewash
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Every Fear (Jason Wade, #2)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Valentine
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • No Escape

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Night (6 books)
  • The Night Caller (Night #1)
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • The Night Spider (Night #3)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • Chill of Night (Night #6)