Start by marking “The Rainforest Grew All Around” as Want to Read:
The Rainforest Grew All Around

The Rainforest Grew All Around

Imaginations will soar from the forest floor, up through the canopy and back down again, following the circle of life. The jungle comes alive as children learn about the creatures lurking in the lush Amazon rainforest in this clever adaptation of the song "The Green Grass Grew All Around." All Sylvan Dell titles feature free educational resources at www.SylvanDellPublishin ...more
Published April 20th 2007 by Arbordale Publishing (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainforest Grew All Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainforest Grew All Around

My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisHow to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie PricemanPossum Magic by Mem FoxBee-bim Bop! by Linda Sue ParkA Flower for the Queen by Caroline Vermalle
Read Around the World
78th out of 90 books — 62 voters
Where the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie BakerThe Umbrella by Jan BrettUno's Garden by Graeme BaseThe Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau by Michelle MarkelA North American Rain Forest Scrapbook by Virginia Wright-Frierson
Picture Books About Rainforests
13th out of 49 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Sep 09, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated book about the rainforest that is accessible to younger children. My two=year-old loves the vibrant illustrations and the story-song (it's based on "The green grass grew all around..."). I appreciate that the main text is appropriate for younger children but adults can supplement with the side-bar details about each animal/plant if children have questions or older kids want to know more.

I was a little surprised that the "Rainforest Cookies" recipe section didn't mentio
538 PM Jeremy Kossak
Oct 08, 2013 538 PM Jeremy Kossak rated it really liked it
Children will be entranced by what grows and lives in the rainforest in this colorful and innocent book. Young readers will not only be amazed at how grand the rainforest is; they will also learn how every part of the rainforest is connected. The eye popping illustrations provide a visual feast at the turn of every page. Children will learn more about how plants and animals contribute to the land in which they live through informational sidebars throughout the book and summative quizzes at the e ...more
Bridgette Redman
Feb 08, 2012 Bridgette Redman rated it really liked it
My favorite children's picture books are those that I can read aloud again and again and enjoy each time.

Susan K. Mitchell's The Rainforest Grew All Around is one of those delightful books that is a joy to read. My son and I sang the entire book to the tune of "The Green Grass Grew All Around." Mitchell's book takes place in a rainforest and she takes us through a cycle of life beginning with a seed that fell on the ground.

From there, the book journeys include a bat, bird, front, plant, frog,
Sep 13, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book has a nice blend of poetry and facts that entertains and informs. The cumulative tale builds from one plant or creature in the rainforest to another until it comes full circle. And each page has a tidbit of information that expands on the new addition to the poem.

The colorful illustrations are wonderfully detailed and often give a hint as to what is coming next in the story. Even though we've read other books about the rainforest, we all learned a few new things from this book. For ex
Feb 09, 2014 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
Kapok pronounced Key-pok

A great story to add on The Great Kapok Tree

I loved all the facts that were on each page:
Between 70-100 in of rain fall in the Amazon Rainforest each year.
The Amazon River is over 4,000 miles long and rises over 40 ft during rainy season.
Kapok trees grow between 150 and 200 ft. As tall as a 15-20 story building.
Jaguars' spots help them to hide. They spend their days sleeping and night hunting.
Vines wrap around and climb the trees looking for sunlight. Thick woody vines c
Sep 15, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
A great introduction to rain forests. I loved the bright colors and beautiful illustrations, they make the book something that even pre-readers would love to sit and look through.
Also, the rhythm and add-on nature of the words make this a perfect read-aloud for younger kids. My 6 year old really liked it!
A rainforest version of the green grass grew all around. Sidebars with helpful, interesting facts on each page. End pages with animal adaptions for older children. A nice introduction to rainforests for preschoolers or kindergarteners.
Sep 14, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
My 7 year old loved reading the text of this re-imagined song aloud to me. We both appreciated the facts included on each page. The illustrations are bright and a nice match to the song and topic.
Sep 08, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
A nicely illustrated book with interesting rain forest facts on each page. Perfect for a first lesson on the rain forest in the classroom.
Dec 29, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
The Rainforest Grew All Around by Susan K Mitchell and Illustrated by Connie McLennan is a rewrite of the classic cumulative song The Green Grass Grew All Around using animals and plants from the rainforest.

This is a terrific version of the song and the text sings well. The pictures are lush and exciting and there's also more information which can be read by students who are reading the book independently. My students enjoy this book.

I recommend this book for kids 5-9
Jan 24, 2016 Nan rated it it was amazing
Delightful book with gorgeous illustrations. Helpful with first grade science lessons
Gail Gauthier
Jun 13, 2013 Gail Gauthier rated it it was amazing
"There are no value judgments being made in this book. There's no talk of damage to the rainforest, there's no call to action. Child readers can just feel part of that environment. The Rainforest Grew All Around is a beautiful looking and beautiful sounding book that children can grow up with."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Dec 03, 2007 Ronster rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Non-fiction picture book. This book is written to the tune of The Green Grass Grew All Around. Rain forest animals are the subject of this fact filled book. Kids will catch on to the pattern in the poem and join in. Facts included on most pages and at the back of the book. Use in lessons about the rain forest, habitats, ecosystems, and conservation.
Nov 09, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
A great choice for storytime since you can sing the book to the tune of the Green Grass Grew all Around. Even if you choose not to sing, you can ask your listeners about the detailed illustrations. I especially like that most page spreads feature a hint about what creature will be featured in the next one.
Aug 29, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collin
We have been working on the letter "R" all week so we added the rainforest to our learning and this book was a fantastic way to introduce the rainforest. We especially liked that the book has a recipe for rainforest cookies! I highly recommend this book.
Jun 22, 2013 Betsy rated it liked it
I like this book better as a teaching aid than a storybook to read just for fun. Still, it's a great resource and children will enjoy it. Sidebars give lots of information on various creatures of the rainforest.
Julie Graham 47150
I always teach my first graders the song, "The Green Grass Grows All Around." We sing it a lot during the first half of the year so they really enjoy listening to this book during our study of the rain forest.
Aug 24, 2012 Teri rated it liked it
We always like books-to-sing. This one felt a little too redundant but we did learn some good things: bromeliad, poison dart frog dads carrying their tadpoles to different leaves. . .
Apr 07, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Wonderful Illustrations and a good book to start children to understand the need to save the rainforest. The book also has a side bar on some pages that has facts about the rainforest.
Apr 22, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that depicts the circle of life and rain forest life by utilizing rhyme and repetition. Great for any age.
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, environment
Well done exploration of things in a rainforest. Side bar explanations accompany main text.
Sep 11, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Wonderful lyrical book based on the popular song The Green Grass Grew all around.
Nov 01, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Really cute book about the rainforest. My two year old loved it.
Kim rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Greta rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2016
Rachel rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Samina added it
Aug 15, 2016
Phil Ewert
Phil Ewert is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2016
Miri marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016