The Rainforest Grew All Around

The Rainforest Grew All Around

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Imaginations will soar from the forest floor, up through the canopy and back down again, following the circle of life. The jungle comes alive as children learn about the creatures lurking in the lush Amazon rainforest in this clever adaptation of the song "The Green Grass Grew All Around." All Sylvan Dell titles feature free educational resources at www.SylvanDellPublishin...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2007 by Arbordale Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Rainforest Grew All Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainforest Grew All Around

538 PM Jeremy Kossak
Children will be entranced by what grows and lives in the rainforest in this colorful and innocent book. Young readers will not only be amazed at how grand the rainforest is; they will also learn how every part of the rainforest is connected. The eye popping illustrations provide a visual feast at the turn of every page. Children will learn more about how plants and animals contribute to the land in which they live through informational sidebars throughout the book and summative quizzes at the e...more
Savannah
Kapok pronounced Key-pok

A great story to add on The Great Kapok Tree

I loved all the facts that were on each page:
Between 70-100 in of rain fall in the Amazon Rainforest each year.
The Amazon River is over 4,000 miles long and rises over 40 ft during rainy season.
Kapok trees grow between 150 and 200 ft. As tall as a 15-20 story building.
Jaguars' spots help them to hide. They spend their days sleeping and night hunting.
Vines wrap around and climb the trees looking for sunlight. Thick woody vines c...more
Bridgette Redman
My favorite children's picture books are those that I can read aloud again and again and enjoy each time.

Susan K. Mitchell's The Rainforest Grew All Around is one of those delightful books that is a joy to read. My son and I sang the entire book to the tune of "The Green Grass Grew All Around." Mitchell's book takes place in a rainforest and she takes us through a cycle of life beginning with a seed that fell on the ground.

From there, the book journeys include a bat, bird, front, plant, frog,...more
Cemeread
A rainforest version of the green grass grew all around. Sidebars with helpful, interesting facts on each page. End pages with animal adaptions for older children. A nice introduction to rainforests for preschoolers or kindergarteners.
Sara
The Rainforest Grew All Around by Susan K Mitchell and Illustrated by Connie McLennan is a rewrite of the classic cumulative song The Green Grass Grew All Around using animals and plants from the rainforest.

This is a terrific version of the song and the text sings well. The pictures are lush and exciting and there's also more information which can be read by students who are reading the book independently. My students enjoy this book.

I recommend this book for kids 5-9
Gail Gauthier
"There are no value judgments being made in this book. There's no talk of damage to the rainforest, there's no call to action. Child readers can just feel part of that environment. The Rainforest Grew All Around is a beautiful looking and beautiful sounding book that children can grow up with."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Ronster
Dec 03, 2007 Ronster rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Non-fiction picture book. This book is written to the tune of The Green Grass Grew All Around. Rain forest animals are the subject of this fact filled book. Kids will catch on to the pattern in the poem and join in. Facts included on most pages and at the back of the book. Use in lessons about the rain forest, habitats, ecosystems, and conservation.
Molly
A great choice for storytime since you can sing the book to the tune of the Green Grass Grew all Around. Even if you choose not to sing, you can ask your listeners about the detailed illustrations. I especially like that most page spreads feature a hint about what creature will be featured in the next one.
Christy
We have been working on the letter "R" all week so we added the rainforest to our learning and this book was a fantastic way to introduce the rainforest. We especially liked that the book has a recipe for rainforest cookies! I highly recommend this book.
Betsy
I like this book better as a teaching aid than a storybook to read just for fun. Still, it's a great resource and children will enjoy it. Sidebars give lots of information on various creatures of the rainforest.
Julie Graham 47150
I always teach my first graders the song, "The Green Grass Grows All Around." We sing it a lot during the first half of the year so they really enjoy listening to this book during our study of the rain forest.
Teri
We always like books-to-sing. This one felt a little too redundant but we did learn some good things: bromeliad, poison dart frog dads carrying their tadpoles to different leaves. . .
Amber
Wonderful Illustrations and a good book to start children to understand the need to save the rainforest. The book also has a side bar on some pages that has facts about the rainforest.
Rachel
This is a great book that depicts the circle of life and rain forest life by utilizing rhyme and repetition. Great for any age.
Mckinley
Well done exploration of things in a rainforest. Side bar explanations accompany main text.
Jessica
Wonderful lyrical book based on the popular song The Green Grass Grew all around.
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 17, 2014
Olivia O'hara
Olivia O'hara marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kersplatypus Will Smith (Today's Superstars: Entertainment) Stone Pizza Biggest vs. Smallest Creepy, Crawly Creatures Animals with Wicked Weapons: Stingers, Barbs, and Quills