Start by marking “Fool Me Twice” as Want to Read:
Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,055 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
"WILDLY ENTERTAINING" LEGAL THRILLER!

It's a routine fraud trial in Miami, until...
A witness is murdered...
And Jake Lassiter is the prime suspect.

The mystery leads Lassiter and his wisecracking delinquent nephew to an abandoned silver mine deep beneath the Aspen ski slopes. The evidence that can clear the lawyer -- or bury him -- is revealed in an explosive finale.

"Twice a
Published (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fool Me Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool Me Twice

Greg Crites
Sep 09, 2011 Greg Crites rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, the author is a lawyer, the protag is a lawyer, I don't care for lawyers—at all. I believe they should be barred from serving in public office. It's a conflict of interest to allow lawyers to be lawmakers. I believe a lawyers involvement in many projects results in unnecessary complications and an inferior final product. If you hired a lawyer to oversee construction of a room addition, there would be thousands of pages, untold expenses, and you could flip a coin to determine whether y ...more
Metodi Markov
Feb 05, 2017 Metodi Markov rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimy
Приятна кримка, без да е нищо особено. Перфектно става за плажно развлечение. :)
Hal Brodsky
Apr 15, 2012 Hal Brodsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Paul Levine is a classic Florida author of the John D. McDonald ilk. In fact, I would say that of McDonald's "descendants" ( Carl Hiassen, James W Hall, Randy Wayne White, Edna Buchanon, Les Stansiford), Levine comes closest to the feel of McDonald's Travis McGee Novels.
Fool Me Twice is a typical Paul Levine novel in the Jake Lassiter series. As such, it features ex-Miami Dolphin Linebacker and night law school graduate Lassiter linping through Coconut Grove, practicing low end criminal defence,
Jan Frew
Dec 21, 2011 Jan Frew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. The main character is an attorney who is actually flawed and likeable. The story was a twist on a detective/crime thriller with a little humor thrown in. I wouldn't mind reading another tale of Jake Lassiter's adventures.
Dianna
Feb 22, 2017 Dianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
3.5 Stars. Jake Lassiter is a lawyer who takes on little cases. Until one of his 'regulars' gets involved in something bigger than he can handle. This case takes Jake, the 'regular' con artist, his ex-girlfriend, his mom, step-dad, a half brother he knew nothing about) from Miami, FL to Aspen, CO., with promises of gold. A semi-typical who-dun-it, but with a few twists to keep the reader guessing.
A fun little ride.
Peter Gregoire
In “Fool me Twice”, we find a legal thriller author writing at the height of his powers. The sixth book in the Jake Lassiter series and the fifth one I have read, sees Paul Levine find the right blend of plot, pacing and rich - though now familiar - characters to make this a great read.
After successfully helping low-life con-man and repeat client, Blinky Barosso, escape jail-time after Blinky’s latest failed scam drew the attention of prosecutors, Jake finds himself the prime suspect in Blinky’s
Kathryn S. Inouye
Aug 05, 2015 Kathryn S. Inouye rated it it was amazing
A fast past, entertaining series.

The Lasseter series are great fun to read. The supporting characters are interesting and quirky that keep you on your toes. I recommend reading the series from the beginning but it is not required. With that said Fool Me Twice, would not give you an overall sense of the series. Although, this is one of my favorite from this series. I do think that Jake being made to look like a chump by the women is becoming a tad played out. This could be due to being an ex Dolp
Nancy Silk
Nov 17, 2015 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing
"Fast Paced, Well Written, And Definitely A Page Turner"

In this legal thriller, a witness is murdered, and Jake becomes the prime suspect! He's also suspected of killing his client and friend, Blinky Baroso. His nephew Kip, 11 years old, becomes a new and future character in this series. He's a wise-cracking delinquent, and travels with Jake to an abandoned silver mine beneath the Aspen ski slopes. There is much humor along the way generated by Kip, along with Doc Charlie Riggs, a retired corone
Angel **Book Junkie**
I actually liked the characters all of them. I thought Blinky and Jake were hilarious and found myself really laughing out loud during the book. The problems I had with the book was the story line. I think that the author could have made so much out of what he had but, failed on the execution of the actual story. I found myself numerous times while reading the book tapping my foot hoping to be done.

Then I thought of the ending... Well duh.. Didn't we know what was going to happen. There could h
Debra Chapoton
Feb 08, 2013 Debra Chapoton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, yes, it's so nice to read the works of a competent author who has been well edited. I thought about the story when I wasn't reading and craved a little more time in my day to get back to it. Paul Levine's lawyer character, Jake Lassiter, more witty than gritty, is up to his nose in trouble when he ends up on trial for a murder he can't actually remember committing (or not). Good dialogue, good plot, average plot twist, and interesting characters make for an enjoyable read. The story was obvi ...more
Lisa Tortorello
Jul 25, 2013 Lisa Tortorello rated it really liked it
Fool Me Twice by Paul Levine was a good read with a very fitting title. There were characters like Jake Lassiter and Granny who were quite likeable, characters like "Blinky" Baroso that I hated to like and finally a character like JoJo Baroso that I personally loved to hate.

Jake Lassiter is a lawyer in Florida, and is set up for a murder he did not commit. The circumstantial evidence is overwhelming, but Jake knows the most important thing...He is innocent. The problem is he may not live long e
Quillracer
Jul 05, 2013 Quillracer rated it liked it
Shelves: freebie
There were lots of typos in this book – clown for down, paving for paying—and a chapter titled GOLD DOESN&RSQUP;T ROT. There were also many missed quotation marks and odd line layouts, making this one of the most fouled up downloads I’ve ever had.

Those quibbles aside, I really liked this book. A good mystery, thriller, or suspense novel should make you sweat. It does me. And this book had me sweating. The tension is almost non-stop as one bad thing after another falls on Jake Lassiter, the m
Eero
Jul 09, 2012 Eero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, free-ebook
Another Kindle freebie from way back. I liked it better than the other Levine I read before (Night Vision), because the plot was simpler and less dependent on red herrings and/or inexplicable actions. In fact, the big surprise was fairly easy to foresee, and afterwards I was a little annoyed because a vital piece of evidence was conveniently forgotten to drag out the courtroom drama, until it was found again at the most desperate moment. The kid was fun, I wonder if he turns up in later installm ...more
Lori Weis coffman
Jun 12, 2013 Lori Weis coffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jake Lassiter is a linebacker turned lawyer who has a bad judge of character. Jake becomes involved in a "love triangle" gone awry and he doesnt realize it until its too late. Set up
by his friends, he attempts to solve a case that exonerated him of murder. With his movie quoting "nephew" by his side, Jake pulls you in and entertains. While the case in this book is easily solvable,it still entertains and has you rooting for Jake all the way to the end.
Tona
Nov 04, 2011 Tona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book and I couldn't put it down. This book was so fast paced and I was shocked by the ending. Jake Lassiter is a defense lawyer who's life takes a complete turn when his nephew is thrust into his care. Not only does Jake not even know that he has a half sister but all of a sudden he has nephew in need. When Jake's old flame comes back into the picture he needs to re-evaluate his whole life.
Ed
Jul 26, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, action
#6 in the Jake Lassiter series.

Miami lawyer Jake Lassiter successfully defends con artist Blinky Bososo, the brother of prosecutor and former lover, JoJo. Blinky disappears, Jake is implicated, and JoJo heads to CO to be with another former lover. Jake follows and gets accused of murder. Jake's Granny surprises him with his heretofore unknown nephew, Kip, who plays a role in Jake's defense.

SimyCat
Feb 11, 2014 SimyCat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book and it kept my interest. Mr. Levine has created the character Jake Lassiter and each book in this series is about Jake, ex-pro football star now lawyer and all the things Jake gets himself involved in. The books keep me interested and I have found when reading I could picture the places described. I loved reading the series from beginning to current. I recommend this for those who like reading this type of book.
Nevermore
Jan 17, 2012 Nevermore rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
This is going down hill fast. Real fast. Even the wit of the boy is becoming repetitive. The moment where the story takes a 180 turn is the moment it spun me right out of any true enjoyment and I am reading it at this point just to finish the darn thing. Levine will not fool me twice, I won't be buying any more of his stuff.
Marcy
Nov 30, 2011 Marcy rated it really liked it
Ex-football player turned Miami criminal defense lawyer Jake Lassiter finds himself the prime suspect in a murder/embezzlement scheme after he follows a former girlfriend back to Colorado. The story is fast-paced, entertaining and full of quirky characters. I enjoy this series for the light, fun books they are.
John
Jul 02, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book much better than the first Lassiter I read. It involved a very good plot, some interesting new characters and I liked the addition of Jake's 10-year-old nephew who loves movies. The Lassiter series seems to be a little more serious in tone than the Soloman vs. Lord, but Levine injects humor in both.
Herman  Morgan III
Jun 10, 2015 Herman Morgan III rated it really liked it
Maybe the Best of Paul Levine's Jake Lassiter Books !

But, just in case I'm mistaken, I'm going to read the rest ! Try this Great Series yourselves, You'll Thank me later if you do.

Angie Pierce
Jun 28, 2013 Angie Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. The humor, plot, intrigue - everything. If you have ever lived in Miami the references to places and the culture were spot on. I could not put my Kindle down until I had read the entire book. This is my second read by this author and I will definitely be looking for more.
Beverly E. McWhirk
Jul 02, 2015 Beverly E. McWhirk rated it it was amazing
You didn't fool me!

No tricks here folks,Levine is the real deal with FOOL ME TWICE. His books are so much fun to read. Lassiter kept me guessing what would happen next and laughing all the to the last word.
Robbie
Aug 03, 2013 Robbie rated it really liked it
I don't remember reading any other Lassiter books where I didn't feel confident that Jake would be able to defend himself until this one. It was well-written, fast-paced and lots of highs and lows. I rate it 4.7 stars.
Jim Fromm
Apr 27, 2015 Jim Fromm rated it really liked it
Don't be fooled.

Another Jake Lassiter adventure. Just as fresh and irreverent as you might expect from a Paul Levine novel. I never know how these are going to end, that's why they are such great fun. Give up the cost of a Big Mac and buy this book, you won't regret it.
Kristy Worden
Jake Lassiter is kind of an idiot in my book. I enjoyed most of the book, but the end seems ridiculous (like he's still going to be friends with that guy) so I'm not sure about continuing the series.
cisco pike
Jun 12, 2015 cisco pike rated it really liked it
I think Jake Lassiter has hit the wall

So, it was just like reading an ordinary lawyer book. Oh, it had a few moments when it could have blasted off to Lassiterville. No ignition. Still okay reading till the next Elvis Cole or Jack Reacher comes out
Susan
Feb 03, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Managed to read just over half way but I am not interested in reading descriptions of fights, or a film quoting kid. It got to the stage where I really didn't care who killed who, or who was lying and why.
Ricardo
Aug 11, 2011 Ricardo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was giving this author a try. I like to find authors whose style I enjoy and who write about topics that I like. I didn't mind the topic too much in this one, but Levine is definitely not my kind of author. I like a bit of comedy in my legal thrillers, but not a joke for a lawyer
alice griggs
Dec 05, 2015 alice griggs rated it it was amazing
His books are always a real pleasure to read!!

His characters are interesting and funny. The bad guys are realistic in that they have redeeming qualities and so are the good guys not totally good. Jake has admirable ethics. The story is well done and I love his humor!!
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • The Apostle Murders
  • Key Lime Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #1)
  • Double Exposure
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)
  • Laundry Man (Jack Shepherd, #1)
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Legwork
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • Coding Isis
  • Mad Money
  • Time of Death
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Murder at Thumb Butte
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Dead Air (Sammy Greene, #1)
  • Irrefutable
Paul Levine's newest legal thriller is BUM RAP, which brings together Jake Lassiter, Steve Solomon and Victoria Lord.

“The pages fly by and the laughs keep coming in this irresistible Florida romp. A delicious mix of thriller and comic crime novel.” – Booklist (starred review)

The author of 19 novels, Paul Levine won the John D. MacDonald fiction award and was nominated for the Edgar, Macavity, Int
More about Paul Levine...

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • To Speak for the Dead
  • Night Vision
  • False Dawn
  • Mortal Sin
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter Mystery)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • State vs. Lassiter
  • Bum Rap

“I've been ridiculed by silk-suited lawyers, jailed by ornery judges, and occasionally paid for services rendered. I never intended to be a hero, and I succeeded.” 2 likes
“I try to go through life doing the least damage possible. Having fun without hurting anyone, maybe doing a little good along the way, but without taking myself too seriously.” 0 likes