Start by marking “Fool Me Twice” as Want to Read:
Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  62 reviews
BESTSELLING MYSTERY BY EDGAR NOMINEE PAUL LEVINE

"Wildly entertaining blend of raucous humor and high adventure." - St. Louis Post-Dispatch

"Take one part John Grisham,two parts Carl Hiaasen, throw in a dash of John D. MacDonald, and voila! You've got Jake Lassiter." - Tulsa World

"Delicious." - Los Angeles Times

MURDER TO GO: FROM MIAMI TO ASPEN

A witnessis dead andlineb
Published (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fool Me Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool Me Twice

Greg Crites
First off, the author is a lawyer, the protag is a lawyer, I don't care for lawyers—at all. I believe they should be barred from serving in public office. It's a conflict of interest to allow lawyers to be lawmakers. I believe a lawyers involvement in many projects results in unnecessary complications and an inferior final product. If you hired a lawyer to oversee construction of a room addition, there would be thousands of pages, untold expenses, and you could flip a coin to determine whether y ...more
Hal Brodsky
Paul Levine is a classic Florida author of the John D. McDonald ilk. In fact, I would say that of McDonald's "descendants" ( Carl Hiassen, James W Hall, Randy Wayne White, Edna Buchanon, Les Stansiford), Levine comes closest to the feel of McDonald's Travis McGee Novels.
Fool Me Twice is a typical Paul Levine novel in the Jake Lassiter series. As such, it features ex-Miami Dolphin Linebacker and night law school graduate Lassiter linping through Coconut Grove, practicing low end criminal defence,
Jan Frew
I liked this book. The main character is an attorney who is actually flawed and likeable. The story was a twist on a detective/crime thriller with a little humor thrown in. I wouldn't mind reading another tale of Jake Lassiter's adventures.
Peter Gregoire
In “Fool me Twice”, we find a legal thriller author writing at the height of his powers. The sixth book in the Jake Lassiter series and the fifth one I have read, sees Paul Levine find the right blend of plot, pacing and rich - though now familiar - characters to make this a great read.
After successfully helping low-life con-man and repeat client, Blinky Barosso, escape jail-time after Blinky’s latest failed scam drew the attention of prosecutors, Jake finds himself the prime suspect in Blinky’s
SimyCat
Love this book and it kept my interest. Mr. Levine has created the character Jake Lassiter and each book in this series is about Jake, ex-pro football star now lawyer and all the things Jake gets himself involved in. The books keep me interested and I have found when reading I could picture the places described. I loved reading the series from beginning to current. I recommend this for those who like reading this type of book.
Ed
Jul 26, 2015 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: action, legal
#6 in the Jake Lassiter series.

Miami lawyer Jake Lassiter successfully defends con artist Blinky Bososo, the brother of prosecutor and former lover, JoJo. Blinky disappears, Jake is implicated, and JoJo heads to CO to be with another former lover. Jake follows and gets accused of murder. Jake's Granny surprises him with his heretofore unknown nephew, Kip, who plays a role in Jake's defense.

Jim Fromm
Don't be fooled.

Another Jake Lassiter adventure. Just as fresh and irreverent as you might expect from a Paul Levine novel. I never know how these are going to end, that's why they are such great fun. Give up the cost of a Big Mac and buy this book, you won't regret it.
cisco pike
I think Jake Lassiter has hit the wall

So, it was just like reading an ordinary lawyer book. Oh, it had a few moments when it could have blasted off to Lassiterville. No ignition. Still okay reading till the next Elvis Cole or Jack Reacher comes out
Beverly E. McWhirk
You didn't fool me!

No tricks here folks,Levine is the real deal with FOOL ME TWICE. His books are so much fun to read. Lassiter kept me guessing what would happen next and laughing all the to the last word.
Herman  Morgan III
Maybe the Best of Paul Levine's Jake Lassiter Books !

But, just in case I'm mistaken, I'm going to read the rest ! Try this Great Series yourselves, You'll Thank me later if you do.

Angel **Book Junkie**
I actually liked the characters all of them. I thought Blinky and Jake were hilarious and found myself really laughing out loud during the book. The problems I had with the book was the story line. I think that the author could have made so much out of what he had but, failed on the execution of the actual story. I found myself numerous times while reading the book tapping my foot hoping to be done.

Then I thought of the ending... Well duh.. Didn't we know what was going to happen. There could h
Susan
Managed to read just over half way but I am not interested in reading descriptions of fights, or a film quoting kid. It got to the stage where I really didn't care who killed who, or who was lying and why.
Debra Chapoton
Ah, yes, it's so nice to read the works of a competent author who has been well edited. I thought about the story when I wasn't reading and craved a little more time in my day to get back to it. Paul Levine's lawyer character, Jake Lassiter, more witty than gritty, is up to his nose in trouble when he ends up on trial for a murder he can't actually remember committing (or not). Good dialogue, good plot, average plot twist, and interesting characters make for an enjoyable read. The story was obvi ...more
Walt Mccluskey
Fool me twice

A good story line but a little weak on content so it jumps about more than I like. Jake was fooled most of the time rather than just twice.
Kay Anderson
A good solid enjoyable read

I love a book now and then that just lets you kick back and enjoy the story. This book did that.
Quillracer
There were lots of typos in this book – clown for down, paving for paying—and a chapter titled GOLD DOESN&RSQUP;T ROT. There were also many missed quotation marks and odd line layouts, making this one of the most fouled up downloads I’ve ever had.

Those quibbles aside, I really liked this book. A good mystery, thriller, or suspense novel should make you sweat. It does me. And this book had me sweating. The tension is almost non-stop as one bad thing after another falls on Jake Lassiter, the m
KATRINA S CORNWELL
Love it

Lots of twists and turns
Addicted to this series
Can t wait to read the next one, enjoy every one
Michelle
As always the Jake Lassiter never fail to entertain.
Cynthia Rielley
meh, very very predictable.
Lisa Tortorello
Fool Me Twice by Paul Levine was a good read with a very fitting title. There were characters like Jake Lassiter and Granny who were quite likeable, characters like "Blinky" Baroso that I hated to like and finally a character like JoJo Baroso that I personally loved to hate.

Jake Lassiter is a lawyer in Florida, and is set up for a murder he did not commit. The circumstantial evidence is overwhelming, but Jake knows the most important thing...He is innocent. The problem is he may not live long e
Eero
Another Kindle freebie from way back. I liked it better than the other Levine I read before (Night Vision), because the plot was simpler and less dependent on red herrings and/or inexplicable actions. In fact, the big surprise was fairly easy to foresee, and afterwards I was a little annoyed because a vital piece of evidence was conveniently forgotten to drag out the courtroom drama, until it was found again at the most desperate moment. The kid was fun, I wonder if he turns up in later installm ...more
Jeri
slow start, built slowly, decent end
Lori Weis coffman
Jake Lassiter is a linebacker turned lawyer who has a bad judge of character. Jake becomes involved in a "love triangle" gone awry and he doesnt realize it until its too late. Set up
by his friends, he attempts to solve a case that exonerated him of murder. With his movie quoting "nephew" by his side, Jake pulls you in and entertains. While the case in this book is easily solvable,it still entertains and has you rooting for Jake all the way to the end.
Tona
This was an amazing book and I couldn't put it down. This book was so fast paced and I was shocked by the ending. Jake Lassiter is a defense lawyer who's life takes a complete turn when his nephew is thrust into his care. Not only does Jake not even know that he has a half sister but all of a sudden he has nephew in need. When Jake's old flame comes back into the picture he needs to re-evaluate his whole life.
Will Phillipson
KINDLE - FREE
GOOD DETECTIVE MYSTERY
Nevermore
This is going down hill fast. Real fast. Even the wit of the boy is becoming repetitive. The moment where the story takes a 180 turn is the moment it spun me right out of any true enjoyment and I am reading it at this point just to finish the darn thing. Levine will not fool me twice, I won't be buying any more of his stuff.
John
I really enjoyed this book much better than the first Lassiter I read. It involved a very good plot, some interesting new characters and I liked the addition of Jake's 10-year-old nephew who loves movies. The Lassiter series seems to be a little more serious in tone than the Soloman vs. Lord, but Levine injects humor in both.
Marcy
Ex-football player turned Miami criminal defense lawyer Jake Lassiter finds himself the prime suspect in a murder/embezzlement scheme after he follows a former girlfriend back to Colorado. The story is fast-paced, entertaining and full of quirky characters. I enjoy this series for the light, fun books they are.
Angie Pierce
Love this book. The humor, plot, intrigue - everything. If you have ever lived in Miami the references to places and the culture were spot on. I could not put my Kindle down until I had read the entire book. This is my second read by this author and I will definitely be looking for more.
Ricardo
I was giving this author a try. I like to find authors whose style I enjoy and who write about topics that I like. I didn't mind the topic too much in this one, but Levine is definitely not my kind of author. I like a bit of comedy in my legal thrillers, but not a joke for a lawyer
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • Key Lime Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #1)
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Legwork
  • The Apostle Murders
  • Laundry Man (Jack Shepherd, #1)
  • For the Helpless (Detective Kelly Lowe #1)
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer #2)
  • The Deputy
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Coding Isis
  • Double Exposure
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Time of Death
  • Irrefutable
Paul Levine's newest legal thriller is BUM RAP, which brings together Jake Lassiter, Steve Solomon and Victoria Lord.

“The pages fly by and the laughs keep coming in this irresistible Florida romp. A delicious mix of thriller and comic crime novel.” – Booklist (starred review)

The author of 19 novels, Paul Levine won the John D. MacDonald fiction award and was nominated for the Edgar, Macavity, Int
More about Paul Levine...

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter, #1)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter, #2)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter, #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter, #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Slashback (Jake Lassiter, #5.5)
  • Flesh & Bones (Jake Lassiter, #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #10)
Bum Rap Solomon vs. Lord (Solomon vs. Lord, #1) To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter, #1) The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2) Kill All the Lawyers (Solomon vs Lord, #3)

“I've been ridiculed by silk-suited lawyers, jailed by ornery judges, and occasionally paid for services rendered. I never intended to be a hero, and I succeeded.” 1 likes