Start by marking “Dead People (Haunted Hearts #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead People (Haunted Hearts #1)

Dead People (Haunted Hearts #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  34 reviews
When Cassie Taylor talks, ghosts listen. She wants to heal their souls so they can leave earth. Brooding songwriter Luke Rivers wants to give his recently found daughter a normal home, but he discovers his new house in small town Wisconsin is haunted by a ghost with an attitude. His ghost whisperer has an attitude too - even before someone tries to kill her.

He wants conven

Nook, Nook
Published November 21st 2010 by Edie Ramer (first published November 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead People

Laurie
Joe, Cassie’s ghostly sidekick is valiant and loyal. Erin is a sad, conflicted waif trying to find her way in a maelstrom of emotions that many adults would find daunting, yet she perseveres. Erin’s loyalties are misguided but so recognizable and heart-rending. And have I mentioned the ghosts? The way in which this author portrayed these ethereal beings, giving them life, is nothing short of wondrous! read more
Misty
Cassie is a ghost whisperer. Luke is rock star with a ghost and a ten year old daughter. The ghost in his house is the former owner’s wife and when Cassie tries to convince her she died before her time and unravel the mystery of her death, the ghost gets pissed. And she’s not the only mad at Cassie for invading Luke’s home. His housekeeper doesn’t like Cassie either.

But Erin, his daughter does, and although Luke would rather not believe in ghosts at all, he’ll do whatever it takes to be a dad to
Belinda Boring
I was pretty excited to start reading this book because the blurb sounded really amazing. Having recently read a story where a ghost was involved, I was eager to see what DEAD PEOPLE had to offer. While the main hero wasn’t a ghost but a man of flesh and bones, I was still intrigued with this form of supernatural and learning more about what it’s like for those who have the ability to see and talk to spirits. What I found was a pretty good read, one that kept me entertained but I found myself in ...more
Laurie Garrison
Dead People is a delightful and romantic read that will stir your emotions. I had a good time reading this one and found myself laughing out loud at times. There is a mystery, danger, adventure and even some humor. I have to give Edie Ramer credit she adds a lot of sexual tension and the sex made me proud (even as a spicy romance reader), it was very well written. I am very impressed and can’t wait to read more by Ramer.

Cassie is a ghost whisper, her parents no longer wants to be in her life, h
Evelyn Amaro
Edie Ramer once again proves that she is a force to be reckoned with. It's not easy to find a book that has it all: Love, Danger, Mystery, Romance, Sorrow, Happiness...I could go on and on, the point is that you can name any number of emotions or aspects that makes up a great book and Dead People has it! What really puts Edie Ramer in a different class, is how she is able to make a book that is unique and a true breath of fresh air in a genre that is growing by the minute.

This book had me at Ch
Laurie
Joe, Cassie’s ghostly sidekick is valiant and loyal. Erin is a sad, conflicted waif trying to find her way in a maelstrom of emotions that many adults would find daunting, yet she perseveres. Erin’s loyalties are misguided but so recognizable and heart-rending. And have I mentioned the ghosts? The way in which this author portrayed these ethereal beings, giving them life, is nothing short of wondrous! Read More
Michelle Diener
This book about a ghost whisperer and a brooding songwriter is a fabulous read. Cassie Taylor's dry, slightly snarky wit is delightful, and the host of other characters, ghostly or human, are terrific. I especially love the extra feature on the author's website giving excerpts from Cassie's book and Luke's songs. http://edieramer.com/extras/
Purr More, Censor Less
Dead People is a romance wrapped up in a ghostly mystery. There is more emphasis on the romance than the mystery. In fact, if you are looking for a classic whodunit that keeps you guessing until the end, then this isn't the book for you. Like Ramer's other book, Cattitude, the mystery is more of a howdunit and whydunit than a whodunit. The bad guy is made obvious by the author early in the book, but there are a few mild red herrings thrown in to make you wonder if it might possibly be someone el ...more
Calisto
Cassie is a ghost therapist who helps the dearly departed completely depart. Her newest job is clearing tall, dark and broody, songwriter Luke River's house of its previous owner. The only problem is that previous owner isn't budging and neither is her murderer.

What a delightful surprise! I was expecting a shallow, fluffy pnr but it has surprising depth of character here and it's all due a lovely, easy, pleasant 'voice' that keeps the pace moving briskly.

There are several things that should have
Amy R
This was my first experience with ghosts and Edie Ramer. I was pleasantly surprised (about liking the ghost part). Cassie is a ghost whisperer/therapist who is trying to get rid of a ghost hanging out in Luke's house. Through this experience Cassie finds friendship, love, peace, and a lot of other things along the way. What I enjoyed about this story is that all of the characters changed as the story went on. They all learned things about themselves and other people in their lives (even the ghos ...more
Elena
Aug 03, 2012 Elena rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elena by: Elysa Hendricks
First it might be important to note that I didn't read this because it was a romance. I don't really read romance, but I have a strong personal interest in the ghost whisperer archtype, and honestly it was Joe who sold the story for me. I love Joe to PIECES. He's my favorite character, with Cassie coming in second. He really reminds me of someone I know. He's a secondary character, but really important--never a wasted moment with him. The choice to show Joe's relationship with Cassie from the ju ...more
Deborah Hughes
This was an interesting read for me. It's a different angle to have the heroine's best friend be a dead cop. But I wasn't sure what I thought about him solidifying every now and then. Same with the ghost terrorizing the house. I think we were supposed to like her toward the end of the story but I'm not sure that I did. The issue of why she didn't want to move on wasn't clear to me. I felt really bad for the young girl and would have liked to see that whole issue better resolved but they were get ...more
Cecile
I was given this book for review from Ms. Edie for my honest thoughts and opinions.. So here goes!

Ms. Edie did it again with a book that took me by surprise and made me smile! And for those of you that have read the blurb and seen that it is not an erotic book - yes, I finished it all the way and loved it. Surprised, I know! But Ms. Edie really did a great job with Catittude that I had to see if she could give me more, lol. And she did. This is a very intriguing book to say the least. I mean you
Habrewer
Dead People by Edie Ramer
* I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Dead People is about so much more than the title suggests. It takes you on an emotional journey with the main characters as they start to care about each other. As the romance blooms, there is also a mystery afoot and don’t forget attempted murder.

The story is centered around Cassie, who is a ghost therapist and has been ridiculed of all her life. Her father and his family will tell you sh
Sheryl
Cassie Taylor is a ghost whisperer. She is hired to get ghosts to leave this world and move on to the next. Her ability to see and talk to ghosts has made her an outcast with basically everyone who meets her, including her family. Due to the way people consistently treat her, she relates better to the dead than the living. In fact, her best friend is a ghost.

In this book, Cassie has been hired by retired rocker Luke Rivers to rid his newly purchased home of the ghost residing in it. Cassie feel
Nikki Brandyberry
This was my very first book by Edie Ramer. I found the book enjoyable overall but it felt really long. I would classify this more as a mystery then a romance, although there were a few steamy scenes for the main characters. The book centers around Cassie, a modern-day ghost whisperer. She is extremely insecure even though she puts on a hard front. She is constantly thinking the worst of herself and doesn’t understand why anyone would have any interest in her “slightly fluffy” exterior. When she ...more
Kelly
I found Dead People to be a pretty interesting read. I enjoyed the premise and the character development. Cassie, a ghost whisperer, is hired by rock star Luke to rid his house of a ghost. Antics ensue. That's a very brief summary, but I don't want to spoil anything for those who decide to check it out for themselves! The author does a great job of getting the reader connected to the characters. In addition to Cassie & Luke, there is Luke's daughter Erin and a ghost friend of Cassie's named ...more
Brandi ;)
Cute book, but I'm done with this series. Honestly not sure if there is another book out here yet or one in the making, but either way, I'm not interested in continuing.
It felt more romance than paranormal & I like more paranormal with a lot less romance.
The story was ok, but there were too many 'little' things that either irked me or I just didn't like. Mostly with the romance stuff. Then the end was just too neat and perfect. I engaged in some major eye rolling throughout.
However, even t
April
When Cassie Taylor talks, ghosts listen. She wants to heal their souls so they can leave earth. Brooding songwriter Luke Rivers wants to give his recently found daughter a normal home, but he discovers his new house in small town Wisconsin is haunted by a ghost with an attitude. Cassie has an attitude too — even before someone tries to kill her.

He wants conventional; she wants acceptance. No wonder she thinks men are hard and dead people are easy.

Read More: My Shelf Confessions - Dead People b
holly quigley
I really liked this story in general. I liked the characters, the plot, the setting, the quirky ghost parts.

I just really wish Ramer would get picked up by a publisher and/or agent and/or editor who would do a complete and killer job of editing her work. Much like Cattitude, there were just issues in Dead People that I think would turn a more picky reader away. However, something about Ramer's writing and stories always seems to hit my happy spot, so I kept on.
Lexie
Prelim Review: I bought this on a whim because I had a bit of money left over in my Amazon account and it was only $0.99. I was expecting a short story, maybe novella length to pass a hour or so between homework assignments. I wasn't expecting a 300+ page book (on my Kindle App on PC) that kept me riveted enough that I forgot all about my homework!

Full review to be posted at Poisoned Rationality
Livvie
Emotional, funny, witty and all around awesome. I truly hope Edie Ramer continues this series. I was moved to tears and outright laughter many times. It was one of those books that you just didn't want to end because it quickly became like an old friend/favorite in just the first few pages. I highly recommend it if you can handle a little angst, and a little romance tossed in with your ghost stories.
Heather Adkins
What a wonderful story! I picked this up at B&N after seeing it reviewed on the Kindle Author Blog. Edie is a self-published author who seems to be doing very well. I can see why - this book was extremely well-written, the characters were lovable, and the story satisfying. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Janet
Really enjoyed this book , took me a while to read , not the books fault , just end of school year stuff to deal with !!

Cassie has a special gift ..a phantom best friend ...and a romantic interest with her client/boss.

Great storyline , a page turner , would love to read more

Edie ...you have a new fan x x
Vicki Keire
A cute and quick Indie read. This is definitely an adult paranormal romance. I was originally under the impression it was YA. It is a really entertaining an original read nonetheless, and I recommend it for fans of more lighthearted fare. A serious bargain for the price.
Kristin
I liked this indie book. Parts of it were a little drawn out for me, but I liked it enough that I would read another. About 22% in I was ready to quit because any mystery to what happened was blown out of the water and I was all WTF!!! but she worked it out.
HєllyBєlly
Sitting on my Kindle, guessing it was a freebie or cheapie. Will abstain from grading, as I did not get over the 50% mark.
Interesting premise but - for me - awkward execution.
Cindy
A very good read. Not as much ghost hunting as I'd thought there would be. I am hoping there will be another book so I can find out what happens to Joe the friendly ghost!
Madeline Sloane
This was a fun, fast read. The heroine was spunky and irreverent. It's a breezy weekend treat.
Otmane El Rhazi
I found the book enjoyable overall but it felt really long.

Otmane EL RHAZI.
  • Mojo Queen
  • Night Journey
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • Devil's Eye (Mirus, #1.2)
  • Fierce Dawn (ParaRealm, #1)
  • Secrets
  • River of Bones
  • Concrete Pearl, The
  • Mirror of Shadows
  • Upload
  • Nightwolves on the Prowl
  • Vision of Shadows (Vision, #1)
  • Famous Last Words
  • Identity Issues
  • Blood in the Marsh
  • The Gift of Illusion
  • Final Call (Mary O’Reilly Paranormal Mystery #4)
  • Wild Heart (Wild, #1)
I'm funnier on the page than in real life. A multiple award-winning writer, I write stories with heart, attitude, and magic. I live in southeastern Wisconsin with my husband, dog and cat.

In addition to my Miracle Interrupted series, I'm published in paranormal and sci fi romance, plus a humorous mystery. I co-edited ENTANGLED, A PARANORMAL ANTHOLOGY, with all the proceeds going to cancer research.
More about Edie Ramer...

Haunted Hearts (2 books)
  • Dead People in Love (Haunted Hearts #1.5)
Entangled Hearts in Motion (Rescued Hearts #1) Dragon Blues Stardust Miracle (Miracle Interrupted #2) Cattitude

“Woman, you got a mouth on you."

"It's not 1955 any longer. Women swear as much as men."

"I miss women who talk about women things."

"You're changing the subject. Keep it up and I'll talk about my period. That's a woman thing.”
2 likes
“She’d never been attracted to alpha men, and Luke was so alpha he could be a spokesman for the Alpha Support Group if they would admit to needing one—which would never happen, because they were too alpha.” 1 likes