Start by marking “Epicurean Simplicity” as Want to Read:
Epicurean Simplicity

Epicurean Simplicity

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In this account of a simple life, Stephanie Mills reaches deep into classical sources of pleasure - good food, good health, good friends and particularly the endless delights of the natural world. Her musings about the life she desires - and the life she has created - ultimately led her to the third century Greek philosopher Epicurus, whose philosophy was premised on the t ...more
Published April 10th 2003 by Island Press (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Epicurean Simplicity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epicurean Simplicity

Oct 11, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: nature, memoir
I waiver between two and three stars on this book. It had parts that were interesting and deeply engaging, and then I felt like the author would rapidly shift out into somewhat self-indulgent discussion of living simply and Epicurean philosophy. Her description of the natural world and the stories from her past are what kept me on until the end. I think that I expected something from this book that it was not meant to deliver - a more nature-centered memoir. While nature/memoir is one of my most ...more
Linda Robinson
May 01, 2010 Linda Robinson rated it it was amazing
I'm rereading this book as I just bought the hard cover edition, because I think every day about the simpler life inspired so beautifully in this book, and, since 2002, I've made progress in adapting simplicity, through my own efforts and serendipitous circumstance. Stephanie Mills is a gifted writer, and a stalwart supporter of the Great Lakes bioregion, and one of the women I admire most.
Robin Marie
Mar 03, 2011 Robin Marie rated it it was ok
Shelves: set-aside
I thought this book was going to be amazing, but it came off as rather contrived. Reminded me of all the city people who have vacation houses in my town and think that they are rugged people. I'm sure that's an unfair judgement, but the style of this book was so off-balance with the content that I found myself irritated and I put it down after the first half.
Linda Robinson
Aug 11, 2009 Linda Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's on the list of 8 books I'd take into the north woods. Oh wait. I already did. Michigan authors - we love them.
Ruth
Jul 30, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Interesting plea for us to live simply and sustainably.
Miamaslegi
Miamaslegi marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
William Hecht
William Hecht marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Ade Nina
Ade Nina marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Clark
Clark rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Harshad Inamdar
Harshad Inamdar rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Duane Porter
Duane Porter rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2015
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Aubrey
Aubrey added it
Jan 03, 2015
Mihir Laghate
Mihir Laghate marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Thomas DiMauro
Thomas DiMauro marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jarrod232
Jarrod232 marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephanie Mills is an author, lecturer and longtime bioregionalist. Her books include Tough Little Beauties, Epicurean Simplicity, and In Service of the Wild.
More about Stephanie Mills...