Start by marking “Craving” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Craving

Kristina Meister

Craving (The Apocalyptic Series #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
After a messy divorce and the suicide of her younger sister, Lilith Pierce sets about the responsible task of cleaning up Eva's final mess. She orders the casket, cleans the apartment, but is plagued by a frighteningly prophetic conversation preceding Eva's death. When Lilith begins to investigate the bizarre details of Eva's life, she has no idea the path of personal tran ...more
Kindle Edition
Published January 14th 2011 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Craving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craving

Lis
Nov 24, 2012 Lis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over about a week and there were times when I was glad I was cooped up on an plane so I could keep reading it. I was attracted by the paranormal slant but was also happily surprised by the detective novel angle - not my normal genre but I really enjoyed it - I found myself thinking about the last couple of chapters I'd read every time I stopped reading, trying to work out what was going to happen next. I never did figure it out ahead of time. I really enjoyed the philosophy thre ...more
Katy
Oct 25, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Katy by: LTER
I first read in May 2013. I am re-reading it prior to reading the sequel, The One We Feed.

Book Info: Genre: Dark Urban Fantasy/Metaphysical Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Anyone to whom it appeals
Trigger Warnings: violence, murder, suicide

My Thoughts: This is a very strange—but absolutely amazing—book, full of mysteries and hallucinations. The reader never quite knows if something is really happening or not, which can lead to a bit of confusion at times, but the story is beautifull
Jade Kerrion
Oct 05, 2012 Jade Kerrion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Craving, Lilith Pierce unpacks the mystery behind her younger sister's suicide. In the process, she meets characters whose pasts are shrouded in mystery, and encounters ancient cults dominated by people who can live indefinitely. The deeper she digs, the bigger the mess, and worse, she's changing...but into what?

Craving is an excellent paranormal novel. The premise is unique and original, and the writing is strong. Kristina Meister challenges the (hazy) boundaries of philosophy and religion.
Nichole  ~~The Grey Lady~~
I had a real hard time getting into this book. I found it confusing and not worth the effort of trying to figure it out. The character of Lilith was irritating and unlikable. The word that kept coming to me when I was reading this was: bland. It had a lot of promise, but just fell short for me.
Melodylove
Mar 22, 2011 Melodylove rated it it was amazing
New twist! I loved it! Deep philosophy and not what i expected
Chandni
There is only one thing that really bugs me about books. I get infuriated when books aren't consistent throughout. I don't care if a book is terrible from the beginning to end as long as it's consistent. I've read some terrible books that I actually enjoyed more than this one.

This book starts off incredibly strong. I started this book in the middle of the day, but I found the first two chapters to be really creepy. It was a promising start with a "who-dunnit" kind of premise. The writing was fan
Debbie Heaton
Sep 30, 2012 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Meister’s paranormal novel, Lilith Pierce’s younger sister commits suicide, and following a visit to the coroner’s office to collect the body she quickly discovers that the last several days were all a dream that never actually happened.

Aided by a detective who witnesses her brush with the paranormal, she looks carefully into her sister’s shadowy life. After reading hundreds of Eva’s detailed journals Lilith still has no explanation or suicide note. Her search becomes an obsession that brings
Heather
Oct 13, 2012 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
“Craving” by Kristina Meister captured my interest with the blurb on the back and the image on the cover. I was drawn into the book easily when I began it… but about half-way through I found myself losing focus and wanting to skip ahead.
The main character of this book, Lilith Pierce, was a sympathetic character when she finds out that her younger sister committed suicide and Lilith flies out to where her younger sister lived to clean out her apartment and take care of her affairs. When she gets
Stuart
Nov 04, 2012 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the death by suicide of her sister Lilleth Pierce arrives to get answers. However from the start she gets more questions and confusion thrown at her than she knows how to deal with.

How can she have met the the detective assigned to her sisters death and arrive there just as the body comes in. How can she seem to know everything that is going to happen before it occurs and who is the stranger at her sister funeral?

As the truth unfolds she gets deeper and deeper into the murky past of the lo
David
Oct 27, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is similar in many ways to Karen Marie Moning's "Fever" series. This is a very good thing because I loved that series. The protagonist, Lilith, begins as an unwilling participant in several very strange events and gradually realizes she has special powers. I won't spoil the plot by providing much more than that but suffice it to say that Lilith gets into, and out of, a lot of potentially deadly situations and along the way learns who and what she is becoming. There are lots of referenc ...more
Anita Hartsell
Dec 10, 2015 Anita Hartsell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Craving" by Kristina Meister is an amazing book about a young woman, named Lilith. Lilith is a young woman emotionally suffering from the tragic death of her sister. She struggles to uncover the mysteries surrounding the death, in a way of dealing with her grief. She is thrown into a supernatural world where she has to adapt quickly to survive. I enjoyed the exciting action, in which Lilith shows an unexpected ability to protect herself and those around her. While Lilith searches for answers, ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Craving is a fantasy novel with plenty of twists and turns. The story delves into Zen ,Buddhism and Philosophy. Lily travels to settle her sisters affairs after her death. And discovers through her sisters journals the evil events surrounding her death. Lily uses her gift of clairvoyance to discover that her sisters death involved foul play. a truly fantastic read I look forward to reading more books by Kristina Meister.
Jennifer Woodford
Oct 11, 2012 Jennifer Woodford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A very different and dark book written in first person but easy to follow. The story delves into philosophy, Zen and Buddhism while masterfully using imagery to paint a surreal and dark fantasy.

Lily who travels to settles her sister's affairs discovers through his sister's journals the mysterious evil events surrounding her sister's death. Using her gift of clairvoyance Lily soon discovers that foul play was at hand.
Kathryn
Oct 19, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craving is a well-written novel with many unexpected twists and turns that leave the reader wanting more. Everything in this novel is apart from the norm, including the interesting characters and the surprising sets of circumstances in which they find themselves. Although the vampire theme has been popular lately, Craving puts a new spin on an old tale which allows the reader a new perspective of the darker force.
Melissa
Apr 05, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very interesting. A rather unique way of creating immortal beings (view spoiler) Also, at least as far as I can tell not being a Buddhist myself, very Buddhist.

A woman comes to deal with the aftereffects of her sister's suicide, and then... things go very, very strange. Well, they even *start out* fairly strange.
Victoria Scott
Aug 04, 2011 Victoria Scott rated it it was amazing
CRAVING is a deliciously dark story. This is truly one of the most unique stories I've ever read. Meister is an expert at weaving a suspenseful paranormal ride for her readers, and knows how and where to add unexpected thrills. Make sure you pick this book up and the highly-anticipated sequel, THE ONE WE FEED.
Kim
Oct 26, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Well written, good adventure, and an excellent philosophical journey! An entertaining read for anyone with an open mind.
Christopher Payne
Jul 27, 2012 Christopher Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journalstone
When Lilith Pierce’s younger sister commits suicide, Lilith consoles herself with cleaning up Eva’s final mess. But when she returns to the coroner’s office to collect the body, she finds that the last few days were all a bizarre waking dream that never actually happened.

Aided by the detective who witnesses her brush with the paranormal, she tears apart her sister’s shadowy new life. Yet after reading hundreds of Eva’s detailed journals Lilith still has no explanation and no suicide note. Her se
Colleen
Jul 30, 2013 Colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-unowned
"...so I finished Craving quite a while ago, but sitting here and thinking about it to write this has brought the story and the character pretty easily to the front of my mind again. The philosophy/spiritualism is a little on the heavy side for some, I think, so it would certainly not be everyone's cup of tea; it wasn't preachy exactly, but if you're looking for more of a "mindless" read to just kick back and get through, I don't think I'd recommend this one.

That being said, I rather enjoyed Cra
Pam K.
Feb 26, 2013 Pam K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I recieved this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

After Eva commits suicide, her sister Lilith come to town for her property. Only to be drawn into a crazy, complex world of Buddism & vampiric creatures. With the help of some new friends, she discovers Eva's strange new life and why she took her life.

At first the story interested me. It seemed like it was gonna be a great mystery/detective story. When the vampiric creatures and Buddism came into it, I seemed to lose interest. I lik
Cyn
Feb 11, 2013 Cyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2.5 stars. I received an ARC of this book on LibraryThing and it took me ages to read. Mostly because it wasn't all that engaging - especially after it really got started. It began okay, and the author has skill with words, but like another reviewer said, "it suffered a little from too much reliance on the mythology and philosophy which underpinned the storyline, rather than the story itself."

I never expected the book to feel so ... meandering, trying too hard to make Buddhism blend well i
Monique
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a unique and interesting take on the traditional paranormal novel! Ms Meister combines Buddhism and myth origination with elements of the supernatural and psychic abilities. There are plenty of twists throughout the book; unfortunately, once you've gotten into the swing of how things work in this world, most of those twists seem fairly predictable. There are a few places where the exposition is a bit too much, but it's rather to be ex
Dale
Jul 06, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lilith Pierce is struggling with divorce and the relationship with her sister Eva. After Eva’s apparent suicide, Lilith enters a journey that will reveal the truth about her sister and change her views on life and death.

Craving is a read that’s entrenched in philosophy and Buddhism that redefined this subgenre for me. The characters are fresh,entertaining and sometimes mystifying. Author Kristina Meister is able to delve deep into philosophy while still keeping the story entertaining and managea
Leslie
3.5 stars.

I had a really hard time finishing this book, it doesn't usually take me nearly 2 weeks to read a book. There were good as well as bad things in this book. I liked the characters alright, and the plot was pretty original and intersting. What I didn't like was the buddha,zen,philosophy. It was a little much at times, and I didn't understand half of the book. I really enjoyed the last 5 chapters, that's when things really started to happen.
Alan
Jun 12, 2013 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the opening of the book and with a twist to the traditional vampire and immortal sagas I really was looking forward to the rest of the read. Sadly however midway into the book the story lulled and only picked up again in the last few closing chapters. I did find the swearing unnecessary and while the Christian referenced blasphemy was only occasional it was completely out of place in a story that focused on Zen and Buddhism.
Steve
May 17, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A thoroughly intriguing story with fascinating philosophical concepts mostly Buddhist). Interesting characters, unexpected story turns and a fresh take on a contemporary genre. Got a bit bogged down in the middle but persevere because it returns to form. I didn't know what to expect of this book and was pleasantly surprised with its intelligence and entertainment value. Don't read anything with spoilers!!
Amber House
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a good story and had things that made you think. A lot of it was based in Buddhism, which I'm not familiar with, so it was difficult to follow at times. I did enjoy the twists in the storyline and was glad to be able to read this as a first reads winner.
Hildegart
Nov 28, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
first reads book. I'm having to put this book on the back burner so I can get caught up on my college class readings. It's been an interesting book in a good way and am looking forward to finishing it in the next week or two.
Tricia
Sep 04, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. Few books surprise me any more and this one did. I suggest you ignore the Publisher's Weekly Review and try it for yourself.
Linda Gwiazdowski
  • Nightmare Ballad
  • The Pentacle Pendant
  • Jokers Club
  • The Eye Unseen
  • The Conjuring Glass (The Phoenix Girls, #1)
  • Women Scorned
  • Vale of Stars
  • Special Dead (Twice Shy, #2)

The Apocalyptic Series (2 books)
  • The One We Feed

“Ignorance is the source of improper conduct.” 2 likes
“A man cannot conceal joy," I said, though I wasn't sure where it was coming from, "because joy undoes deceit. What I have, I will share, because I must. There is no other choice.” 1 likes