Start by marking “Prayers for Rain” as Want to Read:
Prayers for Rain

Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro #5)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,236 Ratings  ·  628 Reviews
When a former client jumps naked from a Boston landmark, Private Investigator Patrick Kenzie wants to know why. Once a perky young woman in love with life, her suicide is the final fall in a spiral of self-destruction.

What Kenzie discovers is a sadistic stalker who targeted the woman and methodically drove her to her death – a monster that the law can’t touch. But Kenzie c
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published May 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Prayers for Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prayers for Rain

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Actual rating : 4.5 stars

After Gone, Baby, Gone, Prayers for Rain was like a breath of fresh air.

"You wanted to play? Well, hide-and-seek is over. Let the real game begin, motherfucker."

You were baffled to see how out of character and - yes - boring his behavior was in Gone, Baby, Gone? Good news, people! PATRICK IS BACK, and that's for the best. Welcome sarcastic descriptions, infuriating and hilarious comments, smartass answers!

"Twenty miles, and it took us only an hour and fifteen minu
Dan Schwent
Jan 16, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a former client commits suicide, Patrick Kenzie goes digging into her background to find out why. What he finds is a blackmailing stalker that anticipates his every move. Even after being reunited with Angela, can Patrick put a stop to the blackmailer's reign of terror?

Wow. After Gone Baby Gone, I assumed the Kenzie and Gennaro series would be on the decline. I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong.

Prayers for Rain starts with Patrick at his lowest point and sees him clawing his way back to th
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

You wanted to play? Well, hide-and-seek is over. Let the real games begin, motherfucker.

I can't say this is exactly what I wanted it to be....because it wasn't. But not for one minute did I not enjoy it. Is that weird? This book took me a week to read, which doesn't bode well for what I thought of it-But then I take into account how busy, tired, meh I've been and it about evens out with my mood. The verdict?? When I felt a distance at the beginning, I should have stopped.

I drank some more B
Kemper
May 04, 2011 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick and Angie have gone up against a lot of very bad people in their time as detectives. They’ve tangled with gang members, serial killers, the Irish and Italian mob, a religious cult, corrupt politicians, child molesters, and a variety of other evil sons-of-bitches. In Prayers for Rain, they meet their most sadistic and diabolical villain yet.

Angie has gone to work for another detective agency, and Patrick is operating solo. Without Angie around, he’s losing his taste for the job, though. H
Mara
After finishing the fifth in his exploits of Kenzie & Gennaro, I can confidently say that Dennis Lehane doesn't just have my number- dude's straight up got me on speed dial. What's more, I had my defenses up this time around. I don't forgive easily, and (to my own detriment) part of me* was still feeling petulant about my Gone, Baby, Gone -induced melancholia.

I don't trust myself to say much about this one without ruining surprises (pleasant or otherwise). There will be more Bubba Rogows
Richard
Mar 26, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
8.5/10

After enough time had passed from reading “Gone, Baby, Gone” and the sun was seeming to shine once more and the sound of children playing with puppies didn’t make me curl up into a ball and rock away until the wee hours, I decided to pick up the next Lehane novel in the Kenzie & Gennaro series to make all that misery come rushing back like it was a long lost friend.

I was actually a little surprised in this novel though as there wasn’t as much misery and depression. I mean don’t get me
Perry
Jul 03, 2016 Perry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, Depthless Diversion
(Funereal Fun, Oversexed Hun)
3.5 stars (4 for Lehane fans; 3 for those who haven't read his work yet)

I enjoyed this 5th in Lehane's Kenzie & Gennaro series, this one involving the unraveling of the sordid past of a seemingly prudish young woman, and finding her stalker. The main characters, Kenzie and Gennaro, seemed genuine, their dialogue charged with liveliness and undercurrents of sexual tensions, and Lehane kept the action suspenseful throughout. Yet, I found th
Bill
May 02, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I don't have many regrets, but one that I do have is having watched Mystic River when I did.
I had been very familiar with Dennis Lehane at the time, and the opportunity came to see the movie even though I hadn't read the book yet. Call it a weak moment, but I went ahead and watched it. I loved it, and only later realized it is considered his best work.
Of course, I can't read it now, at least until I've totally forgotten the movie.

So until then, I'm picking through his work, and I've very much en
Jim
What started off as another excellent Lehane book was ruined by the last couple of pages for me, unfortunately. Still, up until then, it had been great. The mystery is convoluted, thought-provoking & keeps the suspense going strong. We get to see a lot more of & find out more about Bubba. That right there makes it worth reading. I got a little tired of Kenzie's flashes of brilliance. I would have preferred he just reason it out soundly.

Unfortunately, Lehane had to take the case an extra
Magdalena
Jan 09, 2016 Magdalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime, read-2014
I took a Lehane break after Gone, Baby, Gone. I needed to read softer books with stories that didn’t make me feeling like breaking down or getting angry because of stupid laws that make children’s life miserable.

But I decided to read the next one when I saw that I need to return the Lehane books I have home on Monday to the library. I could return them and then borrow them again but I thought what the heck I can, at least, read one before Monday and borrow the other two I have home, Moonlight Mi
Nandakishore Varma
Jan 09, 2012 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
Dec 04, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SusanD, Steve, Kelly, Vanessa
Shelves: mystery
Dennis Lehane is one of my favorite mystery authors, who rarely fails to please me. In "Prayers for Rain", he has delivered another spellbinding detective story, which leaves little to the imagination. The book is certainly not for the faint of heart. Deftly plotted, it is gritty, suspenseful, often violent and offers endless surprises. The few quiescent periods in this very emotional story offer little respite from unexpected action. The suspense is further heightened at the climax with several ...more
Donna
Feb 11, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I loved this book. Dennis Lehane is usually a solid 4 stars for me. This one is 5 stars for a few reasons. First, I was hooked from the very beginning and I was pulled right in. I also loved the dialogue. It was nicely written and it had me laughing out loud. Humor is always a plus.

The MCs were great. They were well drawn and very personable. I liked rooting for them. When I pick up a Dennis Lehane book, I always know that the characters will be wonderful and the story will tug me along.
Mike
Feb 20, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
Prayers for Rain get 4 Stars, had to take one away. This book was fantastic for about 290 pages. Angie, Patrick and Bubba are on the case together and they just sparkle when they get together. Patrick is on the case of a girl who committed suicide. He feels guilty because he did not answer her call for help. He is also despondent because Angie has left him for other work and love. But he gets Angie to come help him out. Finding out what happened to cause the girl to commit suicide reveals that h ...more
Eric_W
Jan 27, 2009 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Nichols, a seemingly perfect prime and proper young lady, hires private detective Patrick Kenzie to warn off Cody Falk, a stalker who has a history of rape and abuse of women. Patrick and his new sidekick, Bubba, who has the face of a deranged two-year-old but with the physique of a “steel boxcar with limbs” pay Cody a visit. Bubba rearranges Cody’s car and they leave with suitable threats of potential carnage should anything happen to Karen. Six months later Karen jumps naked from a six ...more
Zach
This is a good read, although not Lehane's best.

Lehane Overcomes Cliches
Anyone else this would be a standard, mediocre thriller--you have several cliched elements:
1. a psycho stalker who appears to have unlimited resources and how (it is never entirely explained why) is obsessed with his victims;
2. the "cat-mouse game" dialogue of the protagonist interacting with the villian (has become overused since Silence of the Lambs or In the Line of Fire);
3. a witty couple of detectives with some sexual
Bryce Wilson
Jul 27, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
And so we come to the end... I'm going to miss Kenzie and Gennaro I've been putting off this book for awhile, but well I had a train to ride and it was just staring at me.

Prayer's For Rain isn't their best outing but you can't say the crew doesn't go out with a bang.

Say this for Lehane he writes a good villain. He creates antagonists that you don't want to so much see beaten, as destroyed utterly. A good Lehane villain simply angrys up the blood in a real primal way.

So color me surprised that
Teresa
Sep 13, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-usa
Gostei muito, mas apenas de metade.
Achei o enredo do caso policial bastante interessante, muito bem elaborado, com suspense e reviravoltas muito bem conseguidas.
Gostei do modo como Patrick Kenzie resolve as situações, “sem paninhos quentes”, tão ao gosto dos apreciadores de ficção policial que, por norma, acham que os direitos humanos não se aplicam aos criminosos.
A outra metade que não apreciei deveu-se a não ter lido os anteriores livros da série – “Kenzie & Gennaro” – e por isso não ente
Jessica
Oh, Dennis Lehane, how awesome are you? Clearly, so very very, because it pains me somewhat to have now exhausted currently available supplies of Kenzie and Gennaro adventures. The emotional level here gets cranked a little higher as the whole plot revolves around how attached we get to the things we hold most dear, and I love how the twists just don't stop. A fine series for hardboiled fans everywhere.
Feb 04, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis Lehane is probably my favorite crime fiction writer. The voice of Patrick Kenzie harkens back to classic detective noir, but with a contemporary feel. I love the chemistry between his two best friends: Angie & Bubba, who have appeared in previous books with him. I know there is only one left in this series, which I'll save for another day. I hope Lehane can be coaxed into writing more.

What I like about the books in this series is the moral complexity of them: the characters often don'
Dalia
Jan 19, 2014 Dalia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would like to give this 3.5 not 3 :-( I love the Kenzie and Gennaro and Bubba characters, but the plot went off the rails- as much as I wanted to continue to suspend disbelief he just pushed it a tad too much, I would have liked the book so much better is the conspiracies were a bit more realistic.
Thomas Strömquist
Not the best Lehane and not the best of the Kenzie/Gennaro series, this is still an above average thriller. Recommended as such. Now, if I could only keep the incredibly bad casted actors of "Gone Baby Gone" from popping into my head when reading these stories...
Asghar Abbas
Jan 30, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Awesome penultimate offering
featuring the reunion we wanted.
Grant
I've loved Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro from the beginning so it was with a heavy heart that I approached this, the last book in this stellar PI series. Sadly, it wasn't quite the send-off I was hoping for.

Sure, the story was fast-paced and suspenseful, and there were a few things I did enjoy about the novel, mainly Patrick's new flame, sexy defense attorney Vanessa Moore. I found her intelligent and interesting, although I didn't really understand her role; if the antagonist was trying to
Andre
Apr 04, 2010 Andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the end--or, at least, what we thought was the end--of the Kenzie-Gennaro series. I love the way Lehane wrapped up the Patrick-Angie storyline. I love the case, rather, the issue, at hand.

Of what I've read thus far, this was Lehane's best work. I did not "Why" questions in my head after reading this one. Everything made sense. Although I loved the entire series, I had minor gripes with each of the first four novels. None this time around.

Only a great storyline and great writing could make
David
Dec 31, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was really great up until the end, which was a bit of a letdown. At the end of "Gone Baby Gone", Patrick and Angie had split up their detective partnership over the outcome of that novel. "Prayers For Rain" begins with Patrick working solo. However, does anyone really believe that Angie won't make her way into the plot? Of course, she does.

The book gets off to a great start. A very sweet, innocent,woman is being stalked by a creep. Patrick handles the problem, but then the action really
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
5th in the Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro series.[return][return]Just when you think Lehane has reached a pinnacle, to your delight he outdoes himself. I didn t think it was possible, but this book is, if anything better than its predecessor, Gone, Baby,Gone.[return][return]A former client takes her life, and Kenzie can not understand why. Unwilling to let go and accept the official verdict of suicide, Kenzie begins investigating her life, trying to unravel the mystery of her rather sudden declin ...more
Harry
Hmmmm...someone liked one of my reviews and I checked out this person's reading list as well as their reviews and heard mention somewhere in there a sentence or two about heroes, one likeable, the other...well, more along the lines of a sociopath. Dennis Lehane, among other authors was mentioned in this respect.

As always, my curiosity was piqued, and although I checked out the other named authors I did finally settle on Dennis Lehane. It was a good decision. Perhaps one of the best reading decis
Mike
Jun 07, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little disclosure: I think Dennis Lehane is perhaps the best crime writer in the last 50 years. I love this guy and have read almost everything he's every written (there are literally only two books by him left and one them is Mystic River which I've seen the film version of like 10 times). I other words, I'm generally going to be pretty inclined to like his stuff. Why? Well, unlike a lot of other crime writers I've read his stuff is funny, thrilling, and, while totally engrossing in the momen ...more
Joseph
Sep 04, 2009 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I went through this pretty quickly, but I think I may be starting to tire of Lehane. Or maybe it's just this series. The non-stop back-n-forth between Kenzie and Genarro just doesn't spark. Ever get the feeling the characters know you're reading/listening, and are trying to be witty and cool, but they're not? Ah well.
The other thing that bothered me with this story is the uneven, illogical morality of the main characters. The main baddie is pure psycho evil, and our hero, Patrick Kenzie--now in
Is Prayers for Rain a stand alone book? 15 43 Dec 07, 2012 03:34PM
Whats the Order? 7 59 Oct 09, 2012 10:56AM
Plot point that bugged me 2 58 Oct 09, 2008 11:16AM
  • South of Heaven
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6)
  • Soul Circus (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn, #3)
  • Clandestine
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • Prince of Thieves
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more
More about Dennis Lehane...

Kenzie & Gennaro (6 books)
  • A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
  • Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4)
  • Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6)

“The loneliness of another can be shocking when it lays itself bare without warning.” 3 likes
“The parishioners looked dazed, but happy. The only thing good Catholics love more than God is a short service. Keep your organ music, your choir, keep your incense and processionals. Give us a priest with one eye on the Bible and the other on the clock, and we’ll pack the place like it’s a turkey raffle the week before Thanksgiving.” 1 likes