Start by marking “Growing Strong Daughters: Encouraging Girls To Become All They're Meant To Be” as Want to Read:
Growing Strong Daughters: Encouraging Girls To Become All They're Meant To Be

Growing Strong Daughters: Encouraging Girls To Become All They're Meant To Be

Filled with strategies, personal insights, and practical tips, this informative book helps parents instill values, self-esteem, and confidence in their daughters.
Paperback
Published July 1st 2000 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Growing Strong Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Strong Daughters

Dayspring
Jan 04, 2012 Dayspring rated it it was amazing
I don't have any children, but I love this book. Lisa McMinn was one of my favorite professors at Wheaton and offers incredible insight into the development of individuals, particularly women. I respect Lisa greatly and highly recommend this book.
Matt
Apr 05, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of daughters
I loved the emphasis of the book and especially that the author has raised three daughters of her own. I also like her honesty in the book, not pretending like she did the perfect job of parenting. Actually, it seems like it was pretty messy at times which is how a lot of parenting is.
Even though I am a Complementarian in the world of men's and women's roles, I always love to learn from a sister in Christ who represents the other side (Egalitarian). It helps me to see the weaknesses that many ti
Lyn
Aug 05, 2013 Lyn rated it really liked it
I didn't immediately agree with everything the author said, but I admit that some parts were very liberating. One of the things she mentioned was that there was a huge bias in christian circles towards the SAHM, which piled on the guilt for mums who were not so for one reason or another. Her thesis was that mums had always worked / contributed to the family income up till the Industrial Revolution, where it became less possible to work from home through cottage industries or through farm work. ...more
Bold Bookworm
Sep 22, 2012 Bold Bookworm rated it really liked it
... This book is an easy read. It seeks to help modern Christian parents chart the middle path between the antiquated, overbearing fundamentalist religious zealotry that birthed our republic and the nihilistic hedonistic moral relativism that passes for an ethics system in a modern collapsing empire. Included in one of the waning chapters is the debate over a couple of passages from Genesis wherein the role of the woman is believed by many to be defined. While the book addresses specifically ...more
Apr 23, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: dad-recommended
I'm still reading this book, but not because it's hard to get through. There's so much packed into each chapter that I find myself taking a break to think about it and then talk about it with Steve. I'll have more specifics to write about when I finish it, but I thought I'd give an update as to why it's been on my "currently reading" list for so long. I anticipate that I'll be reading this book multiple times in the coming years... I'm REALLY pleased with it so far.
Jenifer
Sep 21, 2008 Jenifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
As a mom of a 2 year old daughter I LOVED the tips that McMinn wrote in this book. The steps that we can take toward making not only our daughters, but ourselves, strong and confident members of God's family and society as a whole. I strongly recommend this book to any mom of daughters!
Amy
May 26, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I'm glad a book like this exists, and I'm glad I read it. It provided good thoughts as I raise my own daughters.
Sheila Nelson
Aug 23, 2013 Sheila Nelson is currently reading it
Good book. Making me think about some of the things I'm doing with my daughters. However, some of the assumptions she makes about boys are off. She should recognize this shortcoming.
Emily
Jul 22, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Great book even for people with only sons! Particularly applicable to people raised in a traditional/religious home and who have a philosophical or religious commitment to gender equality.
Donovan
Jun 17, 2007 Donovan rated it it was amazing
I need to re-read this, now that my daughter is about to enter high school. If you have a daughter - any age - read this book - you won't be disappointed.
Megan Westra Westra Westra
Feb 23, 2014 Megan Westra Westra Westra rated it it was amazing
Absolute must-read for anyone raising daughters or working with girls and young women.
Gerd
Gerd rated it liked it
May 29, 2010
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 29, 2008
Eryn
Eryn rated it really liked it
May 17, 2013
Bryan Bridgeman
Mar 14, 2014 Bryan Bridgeman rated it it was amazing
I liked it. Very insightful.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Rachael
Rachael rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2011
Lisa Locke
Lisa Locke rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2016
Genia
Genia rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Lea Johnson
Lea Johnson rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2014
Gregg Koskela
Gregg Koskela rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Jennifer Warner
Jennifer Warner rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2009
Molly Stawarz
Molly Stawarz rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Tara Nichols
Tara Nichols rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2007
E. G.
E. G. rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Rebecca Garrett
Rebecca Garrett rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
  • Mama, PhD: Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life
  • Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart
  • Building Her House: Commonsensical Wisdom for Christian Women
  • Christ in the Chaos
  • The Measure of Success: Uncovering the Biblical Perspective on Women, Work, and the Home
  • In This House, We Will Giggle: Making Virtues, Love, and Laughter a Daily Part of Your Family Life
  • Parenting the Wholehearted Child: Captivating Your Child's Heart with God's Extravagant Grace
  • How to Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World