She's All That (Spa Girls, #1)

She's All That (Spa Girls #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,054 ratings  ·  74 reviews
With her two best friends, Lilly Jacob is contemplating life, love, and the pursuit of the perfect pedicure.

When Lilly Jacob's coveted promotion as a fashion designer is given to a less-talented co-worker and her boyfriend develops issues with monogamy, she's convinced her bad hair day is responsible for it all. Will a Spa Weekend with her Spa Girls help? Or will it take m...more
Published October 4th 2005 by Integrity Publishers

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversWhat a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck
Christian Chick Lit
40th out of 407 books — 355 voters
Blue Skies Tomorrow by Sarah SundinA Memory Between Us by Sarah SundinRedeeming Love by Francine RiversA Distant Melody by Sarah SundinLove Finds You in Last Chance, California by Miralee Ferrell
Christian Fiction Set in Northern California
11th out of 40 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
This was some very light summer reading & it was okay, but definitely not up to what I was expecting.
I felt the book was unrealistic. The main character was self-centered & has NO discernment about anyone in her life... not only with men, but not even knowing her own "best friend" at all. Her OCD about her hair & her lysol were irritating by the 5th time she mentioned them, let alone the 500th. And the whole deal with the fashion show... like that would happen in a week & a half!...more
Saylaveev
I did enjoy reading this book. I found it odd to have the god aspect in it, as I don't think it lended anything to the book at all. I also found that I wasn't too fond of how the men all suddenly came together in one piece, nor how the end happened so quickly, I felt a little jilted. And what is the issue with the Lysol??? Good grief, get over it. I would try reading things by this author again.
Ashley
The main character is too unrealistic and fluffy...her inner thoughts are irritating! I wanted to like this book more. Good Christian literature for single girls, I wish this was less splenda and more sugar. :)
Kelly
This was a funny book that had me laughing out loud in the break room at work. It's about a girl who had a master's degree from Stanford but refuses to use it, who has a speech impediment when it comes to talking to attractive men, and whose bad hair ruined her life. Against her Grandmother's constant nagging for her to grow up and find a real job, she listens to her heart and follows her gut. While she may seem like she has no confidence on the surface, when you read further into the book and r...more
Lynne Erickson Valle
She's All That by Kristin Billerbeck is hilarious. It frequently compelled me to laugh out loud.

The story centers around three close-knit, almost-thirty-years-old women. These BFFs met and bonded–particularity at the spa, during college (Standard) as the odd-ones-out. The spa girls are: Lilly Jacobs–she shelved her MBA and an affluent career in finance for a degree in design and an impoverished life as a grunt for Sara Lang Couture; Morgan Malliard–she is the diamond clad heiress daughter to San...more
Karen Baney
First person writing can be such a challenge. It requires using only one view point for the entire story and relying on dialogue to uncover other characters' view points. Yet, Kristen did an excellent job. The story line, even though told from only one of the Spa Girl's perspectives, we get a good picture of her two closest friends--their personalities, their fears, their hurts. I can't wait to read the second and third books.

The story itself was entertaining and full of different twists and tu...more
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
She’s All That is the first book of the Spa Girls series by Kristin Billerbeck.

Lilly Jacobs is trying to make it big into fashion. She works for Sara Lang, a well-known fashion designer, and gets passed up for promotion. As if that’s not bad enough, she sees her boyfriend with someone else. Lilly also has to worry about her larger than life hair. She often meets up with her friends, Morgan and Poppy, at Spa Del Mar. Nana has taken care of Lilly because her mother ran off after her father died. L...more
Jessica Kantola
I wish I could give this 2 ratings.

I didn't really start to enjoy reading this book until I made up my mind to read the book for what it is: a light, funny read that while it may be fraught with inconsistencies and odd character traits and choices, is still a clean and uplifting read with a great emphasis on friendship.

I would highly recommend this for young adults as an excellent alternative to other books out there that tend to include a lot of sex and profanity.
Anita
Lilly Jacobs has sacrificed her Stanford Masters degree in finance to try and break into the world of fashion design. She and her two unlikely best friends from college have a spa date tradition when ever one of them has had an upheaval in her life. Lilly loses her job and decides to make it on her own by opening up her own design company.

I had a really hard time getting into this book, I felt like I was interrupted every two sentences. But also it took a long time to get into the plot, the read...more
Ashley
Far too much talk about her frizzy hair. And it never actually got in her way... Sometimes the plot seemed pretty thin, but overall I'd say it was a nice read. There were several parts that made me laugh out loud like a loon and I do think I identified on some level with Lilly. We all have hopes and dreams that may never truly come to fruition. Kudos to her for pursuing her dream with the temptation of more money just a Stanford degree away! I don't really appreciate the stereotyping of Kim thou...more
Renee
This book is very light reading. I enjoyed it, and some day will most likely read it again. I found it to be amusing.
The main character did annoy me at times. She's very focused on her hair.
Amancay
I finally got the reading bug (not to mention time to actually READ one) from watching a good friend pick up a book and literally devour it in mere days! Knowing this is also MY behavior with a good read I was cautious and careful about my choice. I wanted something that would both take me away from my day-to-day thought processes, but also stir within me some true purpose, hope, love, and life... I landed on my favorite author, in a series I've yet to dive into.

Needless to say I'm SOLD, and now...more
Phasered
This was a good Christian book and easy read and I enjoyed her humor. I do have an issue with Nate kissing her and not really have any feelings there??!! what that about? She denied her feelings as the book was going it being Christian based it wasn't. gonna go anywhere. I found the whole thing with Nate useless and she should have just left it them as friends and just kept Max and the british creep. Another critique is that I found the book a bit choppy. Overall I enjoyed. and recommend it to a...more
Veelashae
Kristin Billerbeck strikes again!!! This was my second book of hers to read, and once again I was really intrigued to know what, if anything, would happen next. I found myself interacting with the characters as if they were real, and wanting to talk some sense into Lilly, as if she were my own child. At the same time, I could totally relate to Lilly and this time in her life, with a few exceptions to particular interests-swap them for mine, and we were sailing in the same boat.

An easy and enjoya...more
Libby
I LOVE KRISTIN BILLERBECK! I love her books - she needs to write more! Okay, being almost 29 and single, and christian I can completely relate with all of her books. They are so funny, laugh out loud funny, and so real! I was a little hesitant with these books, but think that I love them more than the Ashley Stockingdale series. If you are single, and in hopes of getting married these books are for you! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS BOOK AND CAN'T WAIT TO START THE NEXT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jodi
Thought that this book was pretty funny. Main character Lily very concerned about her hair and has abandonment issues. She is grown but gets into alot of trouble. Has two best friends that go to the spa together to get away and catch up. Not so good in the man department. Has an advanced degree in finance but wants to be a designer. Friends believe in her and eventually her dream comes true. It was an interesting book. Not sure that I will read more, but a nice break from real life.
Tara
Oct 27, 2008 Tara rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who like really really light reads
Shelves: read-in-2008
I'm nearly finished and I'll have to say that I'm very disappointed. I don't know anyone who behaves like Lilly and her friends. This story line is so completely unrealistic.

That said, I'm intrigued to see if the writing is this vapid because of the character or the author. The next book in the series focuses on Morgan's character, so maybe that has more substance. I'm considering borrowing it from the library. I'm definitely not spending any more money on this author.
Manda
I read this book because I found the author's most recent book, A Billion Reasons Why, to be entertaining. I can't say the same for this one, however. I just didn't connect well with any of the characters. The main character wore on my nerves after a while, which was unfortunate since the book is written in first person.

Billerbeck's writing style, however, is incredible. She's definitely an author that I would read again.
Lynn
I was a bit hesitant to read this book after trying What a Girl Wants and really not liking the characters. I was afraid it was the style of the author I disliked. I was so happy I gave this book a try. It's a fluffy, chick lit book, but it's a fun, quick read and great for being trapped in airports with delayed flights or for disappearing into a fictional world while on the plane. I am anxious for the next two in the series.
Danielle
I like that this series in written from one characters perspective. Each book in the series is written from a different person's perspective. It gives the book something different than the typical chick-lit novel. Loved that there was no swearing or inappropriate situations in these books. Great for the girl/women that craves chick-lit without the guilt of the obscenities.
E
While it certainly isn't a piece of great literature, it was mostly fun and definitely shows the struggles Christian women have. I was, however, tired of the main character's whining before the end of page 2. Seriously!? She needed a big, 'ol plate of cheese to go w/ all the "whine." Wow! But I will probably read the other two in the series just for fun.
Lori
Aug 05, 2009 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This was a light, fun summer read. Like all of Billerbeck's books that I've read, there is one heroine bumbling through life, succeeding in spite of herself. It is Christian chick-lit, but the religious aspect is not overbearing, like it can be in some Christian fiction books. It won't change your life, but I thought it was worth reading.
Tressa (Tressa's Wishful Endings)
I like this series. There are just a few things that bothered me. First each of the main characters are overly dramatic and are extreme or radical in some way and it makes it harder to feel like they are real or to like them as much. Then there are just areas in the writing where it dragged for me. Otherwise, they are enjoyable reads.
Nicole

I've read other books by this author and enjoyed then. I could not get into this book. The main character was completely unlikeable and could have easily fixed her problems long ago by stAnding up for herself. *sigh* I now see why the library has a copy of the first book, but no others in the series. I don't recommend!
Maricris Ablay
Love this book. This book shows the true friendship of lily, morgan and poppy. The character shows a typical trait of a woman trying to find her purpose in the worl, weighing what's important. A career that gives a huge salary or career that gives you more purpose and contentment. A story worth reading after a day's work.
I enjoy that these books by Kristin are Christian, but don't have it written all over it and then some. Its a good and interesting read/story, while a wholesome foundation. I definitely like the drama the book gives, as its hard to put down and I could easily read into the night.
Yolanda
Sep 01, 2008 Yolanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Yolanda by: My LiveJournal Chick Lit Book Club
Shelves: library-book
This book through me for a loop as it was Christian Chick Lit. I had no idea of that before I began reading. It was a good read. Interesting. I felt like maybe too much was focusing on reinforcing the fact that she was a "Single Christian" but other than that... I did enjoy it.
Kris
I love the honest, acerbic thoughts of the main character. I wish I'd read Billerbeck's books when I was single...she really captures the angst of a girl who wants her soul mate in her life NOW but there are only non-Christians and moronic Christian men around.
Angela
This was my first time venturing into "christian lit" and I really enjoyed it. I love chick lit, but hate all the garbage that most of them have. This book was a lot of fun. It's the first book in a three part series and I am excited to read the rest.
Shauna
It was a pretty good book. I wasn't expecting much, with it being Christian chick-lit. I thought it had the potential to be really cheesy and horrible, but it was actually pretty entertaining. I was very happy with the ending.
  • Consider Lily
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
  • Too Good To Be True
  • Catch a Rising Star (Drama Queen #1)
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Let Them Eat Fruitcake (86 Bloomberg Place, #2)
  • Faking Grace
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Rematch (Lauren Holbrook, #2)
  • Dreaming in Black & White
  • Savannah from Savannah
About Kristin
I grew up with a strong sense of justice. I simply knew the way things should be. And since I’m not smart enough to be a district attorney, I am a novelist. My childhood was slightly confusing. I blame my parents for this. Oh heck, I’m going to blame them for everything. I think I would have turned out normal if it weren’t for them.
the billerbeck's

Okay, probably not. I am a fourth-g...more
More about Kristin Billerbeck...
What a Girl Wants (Ashley Stockingdale, #1) She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2) With This Ring, I'm Confused (Ashley Stockingdale, #3) A Billion Reasons Why A Girl's Best Friend (Spa Girls, #2)