Start by marking “Firstborn” as Want to Read:
Firstborn

Firstborn

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Erika's worst fear is realized when her well-kept secret shows up on her doorstep. As she reaches out to the daughter she gave up for adoption 21 years ago, her husband pulls away, leaving Erika with an impossible choice. This emotionally gripping story will touch and challenge readers.
Published August 1st 2002 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Firstborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firstborn

Jenee Rager
Until the past few weeks I hadn't ever read Christian fiction, other than the "Left Behind" series. I won this on goodreads not knowing it was a Christian book, but just that it looked really interesting so I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived.

Erika and Steven are high school sweethearts who seem to have the perfect life. While not rich in the financial sense, they are comfortably middle class, and happy with their lives and each other. That all changes the day that Erika receives a lette...more
Samantha Jo
Find more reviews like this one at www.westofnewburystreet.blogspot.com

From the back cover:

“Erika Welby had a secret she thought no one would ever discover. But someone knew.
Dear Mrs. Welby, I know you were only seventeen when I was born. I’ve got many questions. I wonder if you have questions to ask me, too.
Erika's worst fear is realized when her well-kept secret shows up on her doorstep. As she reaches out to the daughter she gave up for adoption nearly twenty-two years ago, her husband pull...more
Charity Yoder
this book was ok, and as much as i usually like Robin Lee Hatcher's books... this one just escalated too quickly for my tastes. the husband finds out a shocking secret about his wife and best friend (if the title doesn't give it away, i don't know what will) and the next thing you know he wants a divorce. there was no building up to this moment, that was his instantaneous reaction, and from there it just kind of builds and gets worse, until the somewhat happy ending. however, kudos for a decentl...more
Denise
I really enjoyed it. As a Christian, I feel like it showed us as we are - humans that make mistakes. When I refer to mistakes, I'm not referring to the mistake that Erika made as a teenager, but the reaction of her husband. I think how he felt and reacted could happen to any spouse in that situation, Christian or not. Luckily for him, he had God on his side to help him get through the situation.

I can see why some are saying it's "mindless fiction"... it's one of those books where you know how it...more
Melissa
Superb Christian fiction. Forgiveness, marriage, adoption and finding birth mother.
EmmiK
My first Christian literature read. I liked it. It's about a Christian family who gets a bit of a shock and it depicts the trials they go through as a family or should I say on their own. What annoyed me was the husband's behaviour but I did understand why he behaved in such a way.
A good, easy read. I liked it.
Angie
I believe this is what you'd call a beach read. It's a good book for a rainy day spent inside, too. I felt like the book ended as it was just getting started, though.
John Conrad
I haven't read much in the Born-Again Christian genre. It had a decent premise, and it flowed okay. It was a little melodramatic in places, but I liked the message of forgiveness. It would be better if the author hadn't ended it so abruptly and if I understood what they were referring to about their worship services in several places. For someone who has never set foot in Hatcher's church, I was lost in a few places.
Amy
If you want a book you can read in one day, this is it. I love mindless fiction, where you don't have to think too much, but the book is still pretty good. Here, a mother receives a letter from her long-lost daughter, whom she gave up for adoption when she was an infant. It tells the pretty predictable story of how it changes the lives of the mother, her husband, her son and of course, her "firstborn" daughter.
Brooke
I read this book many years ago but recently read it again. If I could have given it 4.5 stars I would have. The author does a great job of looking at the human relationship and how one event from the past that comes to light can change everything. I would highly recommend this book.
Sue
Excellent book about family relationships, in the face of unexpected difficulties. Just don't read the blurb on the back as it gives away rather more of the plot than I wanted to know in advance! The book itself was moving and very hard to put down once I had started.
Margie
This book really did make me feel what the characters are feeling. I could put myself in their shoes. I was into this book from the beginning and did not want to put it down. Hatcher has written several books, but this is my favorite.
Lynnea
Another good book about forgiveness... Do you think God is trying to tell me something? lol
This book ended rather abruptly, I thought. Things were wrapped up too quickly... a sequel would have been better!
Dawn
Great book about family and forgiveness. I definitely recommend it to others. It has the same style as some of the Karen Kinsgsbury books.
This was a good book about love, marriage, and forgiveness. Firstborn was realistic. I really enjoyed it. I recommend.
Abby
this was one of my favorite books!!! i just with there was a sequel cause the ending kinda leaves u hanging!!!
Layne
Interesting story, but not the greatest writing. It could have been developed a little better.
Michelle Watson
Oh so good!! Hoping for a 2nd book to tell what happens to the families..
Marla Knight
Very interesting book, had trouble putting it down.
Cadie
A little too religous, but an amazing novel.
Sheila
awesome read good story finished in one day
Tracy
Feb 17, 2009 Tracy added it
Shelves: read-books
cd audio
Michelle Ou
Michelle Ou marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Lindsey Forsyth
Lindsey Forsyth marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
  • A Whisper of Danger (Treasures of the Heart #2)
  • Embrace Me
  • The Debt
  • The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)
  • Deadlock
  • A Window to the World
  • Angels Flight (Shannon Saga #2)
  • After Anne (Coming Home to Brewster, #1)
  • Though None Go with Me
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
  • Levi's Will
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • When Joy Came to Stay
  • Diva Nashvegas
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • Life Support (Alexi Lindale, #1)
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Fire Dancer
A Note from Robin: I schedule Goodreads giveaways every month. If you're interested in my books, please become a "Goodreads fan" so that you'll be notified of my giveaways when they occur.

Official Bio: Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. The winner of the...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...
A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1) Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1) Dear Lady (Coming to America #1) Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2) Catching Katie