Start by marking “Firstborn” as Want to Read:
Firstborn

Firstborn

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  347 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Erika's worst fear is realized when her well-kept secret shows up on her doorstep. As she reaches out to the daughter she gave up for adoption 21 years ago, her husband pulls away, leaving Erika with an impossible choice. This emotionally gripping story will touch and challenge readers.
Published September 1st 2002 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Firstborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firstborn

Mazy Luellen
I felt there was a lot more positive things the author could have done with the topic. I personally (strongly) disagreed with the characters' take on it all at the end which made me dislike the quick, trite ending even more. There was never an explanation as to why Steven never bothered to call or write to Erika for the four years he was in college, but her "cheating" duringthat time was still viewed as a "mistake". It all seemed awfully judgy, and OF COURSE the one character that is never relig ...more
Jenee Rager
Jul 10, 2014 Jenee Rager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 1st-reads
Until the past few weeks I hadn't ever read Christian fiction, other than the "Left Behind" series. I won this on goodreads not knowing it was a Christian book, but just that it looked really interesting so I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived.

Erika and Steven are high school sweethearts who seem to have the perfect life. While not rich in the financial sense, they are comfortably middle class, and happy with their lives and each other. That all changes the day that Erika receives a lette
Kat
Jul 16, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samantha Jo
Dec 03, 2012 Samantha Jo rated it liked it
Find more reviews like this one at www.westofnewburystreet.blogspot.com

From the back cover:

“Erika Welby had a secret she thought no one would ever discover. But someone knew.
Dear Mrs. Welby, I know you were only seventeen when I was born. I’ve got many questions. I wonder if you have questions to ask me, too.
Erika's worst fear is realized when her well-kept secret shows up on her doorstep. As she reaches out to the daughter she gave up for adoption nearly twenty-two years ago, her husband pull
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a page-turner. I love that the book is about people's choices. They're not extraordinary choices; they're choices people have to make and deal with every day. Each person does it differently, and that's where this story lies: in how all the characters deal with the choices. It seemed very true-to-life to me; that's what I enjoyed most about the book.
Carolyn Tye
Apr 17, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read. I connected with the characters and was challenged in my spiritual walk. The author particularly challenged with a quote by one the characters about questioning God's grace when you question your circumstances. I have been guilty of that many times.
Nov 05, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book dealt with giving up a child for adoption and having the child search and find the mother hoping to find the father as well. Interesting dynamics of how this Christian family handles this situation which strain the friendship person as well.
Ambrayulin
This book was the second I have read from this author, and it was just ok. It was too predictable to become engrossed in, but it had a few touching moments and a beautiful message.
Kari Burke
Nov 24, 2015 Kari Burke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
SO predictable. SO preachy. I read just enough to know, it was going to be painful to finish this one....
Charity Yoder
Jul 30, 2013 Charity Yoder rated it it was ok
this book was ok, and as much as i usually like Robin Lee Hatcher's books... this one just escalated too quickly for my tastes. the husband finds out a shocking secret about his wife and best friend (if the title doesn't give it away, i don't know what will) and the next thing you know he wants a divorce. there was no building up to this moment, that was his instantaneous reaction, and from there it just kind of builds and gets worse, until the somewhat happy ending. however, kudos for a decentl ...more
Denise
Jan 06, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. As a Christian, I feel like it showed us as we are - humans that make mistakes. When I refer to mistakes, I'm not referring to the mistake that Erika made as a teenager, but the reaction of her husband. I think how he felt and reacted could happen to any spouse in that situation, Christian or not. Luckily for him, he had God on his side to help him get through the situation.

I can see why some are saying it's "mindless fiction"... it's one of those books where you know how it
Joanne Fetzer
A good plot with a challenging message about making the choice to love even when it's difficult.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb Christian fiction. Forgiveness, marriage, adoption and finding birth mother.
EmmiK
Oct 09, 2014 EmmiK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Christian literature read. I liked it. It's about a Christian family who gets a bit of a shock and it depicts the trials they go through as a family or should I say on their own. What annoyed me was the husband's behaviour but I did understand why he behaved in such a way.
A good, easy read. I liked it.
Debbie
Jul 12, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story Robin

A beautiful story about mistakes and forgiveness. Marriage and the pain and beauty it can bring. Adoption, God's love for his people. God's plan for each person. I read this book in one sitting and loved it. A beautiful story. If your looking for a story that you can relate to in your marriage or a friend's this is your book. Would highly recommend to any adult. Subject matter most really suitable for children.
Monica Sweet
May 16, 2015 Monica Sweet rated it really liked it
Another book I fell in love with. Heart wrenching but amaZing in the end
Angie
Oct 07, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
I believe this is what you'd call a beach read. It's a good book for a rainy day spent inside, too. I felt like the book ended as it was just getting started, though.
John Conrad
Aug 09, 2010 John Conrad rated it liked it
I haven't read much in the Born-Again Christian genre. It had a decent premise, and it flowed okay. It was a little melodramatic in places, but I liked the message of forgiveness. It would be better if the author hadn't ended it so abruptly and if I understood what they were referring to about their worship services in several places. For someone who has never set foot in Hatcher's church, I was lost in a few places.
Amy
Jan 05, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
If you want a book you can read in one day, this is it. I love mindless fiction, where you don't have to think too much, but the book is still pretty good. Here, a mother receives a letter from her long-lost daughter, whom she gave up for adoption when she was an infant. It tells the pretty predictable story of how it changes the lives of the mother, her husband, her son and of course, her "firstborn" daughter.
Darlene
Aug 19, 2015 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on the first reads giveaway and I have not been able to put it down......my only regret is wanting more he story-line was so engaging.unfortunately the story came to an end to quickly.I recommend this book and hope to read more of this author. its time worth spending reading. especially if your bed ridden like I am.
Brooke
Dec 01, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago but recently read it again. If I could have given it 4.5 stars I would have. The author does a great job of looking at the human relationship and how one event from the past that comes to light can change everything. I would highly recommend this book.
Sue
Nov 11, 2010 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about family relationships, in the face of unexpected difficulties. Just don't read the blurb on the back as it gives away rather more of the plot than I wanted to know in advance! The book itself was moving and very hard to put down once I had started.
Margie
Apr 25, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it
This book really did make me feel what the characters are feeling. I could put myself in their shoes. I was into this book from the beginning and did not want to put it down. Hatcher has written several books, but this is my favorite.
Lynnea
Nov 14, 2009 Lynnea rated it really liked it
Another good book about forgiveness... Do you think God is trying to tell me something? lol
This book ended rather abruptly, I thought. Things were wrapped up too quickly... a sequel would have been better!
Dawn
Dec 09, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it
Great book about family and forgiveness. I definitely recommend it to others. It has the same style as some of the Karen Kinsgsbury books.
Sarah Neumann
Jul 26, 2014 Sarah Neumann rated it really liked it
This was a good book about love, marriage, and forgiveness. Firstborn was realistic. I really enjoyed it. I recommend.
Abby
Jul 28, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was one of my favorite books!!! i just with there was a sequel cause the ending kinda leaves u hanging!!!
Layne
Jul 07, 2010 Layne rated it liked it
Interesting story, but not the greatest writing. It could have been developed a little better.
Michelle Watson
Aug 05, 2013 Michelle Watson rated it it was amazing
Oh so good!! Hoping for a 2nd book to tell what happens to the families..
Marla Knight
Very interesting book, had trouble putting it down.
  • Deadlock
  • Embrace Me
  • Rearview (7 Hours #1)
  • No Dark Valley
  • A Whisper of Danger (Treasures of the Heart #2)
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • The Heir
  • All for a Song
  • The Debt
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • Centuries Of Meditations
  • Levi's Will
  • One Hundred Years of Marriage: A Novel in Stories
  • Every Girl Gets Confused (Brides With Style, #2)
  • The Gabon Virus (TSI: Time Scene Investigators, #1)
  • Food Fight
  • Unexpected Dismounts (The Reluctant Prophet, #2)
  • Second Term - A Novel of America in the Last Days
Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. Recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from both American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writer of America and the winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Christian Fiction, the RITA Award for Best Insp ...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...