Start by marking “The Rake (Lessons in Love Series #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rake (Lessons in Love Series #1)

The Rake (Lessons in Love #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  4,839 ratings  ·  212 reviews
A Regency romp about a young lady who vows revenge on the rakish lord who loved and left her, only to find herself unexpectedly caught in Cupid′s net along with the handsome viscount when her plan to love and leave him backfires.
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rake

Dina
I avoided reading this book for some time because I wasn't too keen on the idea of a hero ruining a heroine's reputation for a wager and going away without a care. Well, I should've known better than trust a book blurb!

The general idea is there, but events don't fold exactly like that... On the contrary, Tristan was a very likeable hero, who'd never meant to hurt Georgie and did everything he could to save her reputation - and succeeded! And that led me to question Georgie's actions: Why did she
Rane
When Lady Georgiana Halley loses her innocence to Viscount Dare she’s heartbroken and ashamed to learn it was all for a wager. Now six years later, Georgiana thinks it about time Dare get’s taught a lesson! Only when the lesson backfires Georgiana’s heart is yet again on the line and this time Dare won’t give her up without a fight!

I was so happy I found this hidden away on my TBR shelf, after reading a recent Suzanne Enoch book, I wasn’t all that impressed or wanting to read one of her older
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

I first read this book so long ago that I don't exactly remember when it was. I have reread this trilogy many times over the years, but I still enjoy it each time. It's been at least a year or two since the last reread, so the dialogue and exact events had faded enough that it felt like a rediscovery.

I am a fan of second-chance-romances and the frenemies-to-lovers trope, and this definitely fit the bill for both. Second chances can sometimes be hard to accept, but the author did a fab
Eastofoz
Aug 24, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like a good love/hate story
This book is so good ! Tristan and Georgiana have this red-hot love/hate thing happening right up to the end. The jabs they give each other are wicked but all the while they’re aching desperately for each other which makes for top-notch romance. There are some great twists and turns and sex in some very unexpected places—refreshing for a regency! What’s so good is that it doesn’t follow the typical regency story-line: they meet, they don’t like each, there are the rules of the ton, they have sex ...more
Fani
A really sweet and slightly humorous romance without anything extraordinary but very well written.

It's the story of Tristan and Georgianna who have a past; a past only the two of them know about and enmity is all that remains after 4-5 years. But now Georgianna decides to teach him a lesson about how a gentleman should really behave; break his heart in the process and leave him as he did with her years ago.

Of course trying to win his love means she has to be friendlier with him and charm him. Tr
Susanne
Witty, charming, lovely and sweet.

Suzanne Enoch is becoming one of my favorite authors! She writes books of quality. The language is great and engaging. I could really feel myself walking around the streets and going to fancy parties in regency London. I could feel the grass and the sunshine.

The story about Tristan and Georgiana was everything I enjoy in a romance! I loved Tristan’s family and Georgiana was so sweet, albeit a bit naive, moving in to help his aunt and to teach Tristan a lesson.
KarenH
Ahh...finally back to a book that falls in my "comfort zone". No spies, no suspense, no clues to follow and puzzles to solve. Just your everyday rake...handsome, charming, witty...who has a stigma attached that might as well be stamped to his forehead "Caution all females! If you can read this, you are too close!" And a heroine who is beautiful, gracious, (a little too) witty...who, apparently, can't read. LOL The book begins 6 years after the heroine was duped out of her virginity by the hero w ...more
Jan
Very strange book. Georgiana and Tristan seemed very fun and interesting in the latter books in this series, but strangely enough their own book fell terribly short.

It had its great moments, because their backstory is actually interesting, and matters of trust always make for good romance stories. And the side-characters, Georgiana's friends and Tristans family are lovely.

Unfortunately one third of the plot hinged on Georgie's plan to make Tristan fall in love with her and then break his heart,
Julie
Ok, this one was my first by Suzanne Enoch and all I can say is how did I go so long with out reading her? I freaking loved this book; love the banter/fighting between Tristan and Georgiana-it was clever and witty. They were funny without being over dramatic and stupid. And I loved the fighting between them was for something that actually happened and not just some stupid big misunderstanding that could be fixed with a simple conversation. Loved the ending, so sweet without being cloying or syru ...more
Nikki
4.5 stars.

I don't know how good this review will be because I've had 4 glasses of wine. Maybe I should wait until tomorrow...

In the meantime.
I did really enjoy this book. I had pushed it to the front of my TBR shelf because it received high ratings from some of my GR friends.

Tristan (the hero) was a complete doll. I LOVED him so much. Although I think my feelings for him ultimately affected my opinion of Georgiana, the heroine, because I could see so much good in him when she could only see the
Anna

Review originally posted at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

The Rake,was the first historical romance book I read and I'm not frantic about it!Well,I'm guesing after reading about 10 marvelous books in the genre,I was bound to read one that didn't amaze me.

It's not that The Rake was a bad book,more like one that I won't remember for long after finishing it and one whose story didn't appeal to me so much.
First of all,I had a problem with the main concept of the plot.The whole thing of a w
Rosie Read
I actually thought the novel had a lot of potential and it certainly started off well. Six years after Viscount Dare seduces Georgiana she decides to make him the object of her lessons in chivalry. The whole ton knows of the animosity between Georgiana and Dare and there are plenty of opportunities for witty barbed exchanges between the two. However, for some reason I felt a bit disappointed with the direction of the plot. Some details were adorably sweet (fans is all I shall say) and others had ...more
Madu
It's 5 a.m
It has been a while since I've read a book for the first time that made me laugh, hold my breath and that kept me awake during the whole night
The first half was wonderful, but after that I thought for about 2 chapters that it would be only about Tristan trying to win Georgiana's hand and I waited something to happen...AND IT DID!! And it was so funny. I couldn't stop laughing
My first Suzanne Enoch book -surely not my last!
ChloeLeeNH
Aug 27, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Era fans
I love Suzanne Enoch. This is another great one.... I am starting this series with this one. Glad I took everyones recommendations... I love the love/hate relationship they have from the beginning. It was neat that it tied into the previous trilogy she did as well. This one was a lot of fun!
TJ
My sincere apologies. I read a ton over Thanksgiving break but wrote zilch, which leaves me forgetting the particulars but remembering the overall feel of this story... I like it, it entertained me. It was better than average yet not (obviously) one I'll never forget.
Lisa Creane
What do you do when the supposed hero does something so casually vicious that he goes beyond "rake" territory to "villain" from the start?

Give him the excuse of callowness, and then wait until he's weighed down with the needs of orphaned younger brothers and impoverished properties before allowing the wronged woman to seek revenge. Then have her offer salvation instead with love and cash.

Do you see why this doesn't work for me? I don't remember him even apologizing. I kept reading because I li
Melissa

It is book two in my re-read month. "The Rake" was the first book i read by Suzanne Enoch. I find it amazing that i always choose the best in authors series to read first. I was a little slower in reading this one since last week was a busy week. Anyways.... I really can't remember how old i was when i read this book. Nor can i remember where. I just remember loving it and being ecstatic to find out there were two others afterwards.

The hero and heroine unlike many other romances have known e
Fiary
Ceritanya ada tiga gadis muda, Georgiana, Lucinda dan Evelyn yang ingin memberi pelajaran kepada kaum pria bangsawan aristokrat yang menurut pandangan mereka sudah tidak lagi menghargai dan bersikap sopan terhadap wanita serta tidak (kurang) memiliki tanggung jawab terhadap apa yang telah mereka perbuat terhadap kaum wanita. Intinya mereka ingin membuat pria bangsawan menyebalkan menjadi gentleman.

Di seri pertama – The Rake, mengisahkan love – hate relationship antara Georgiana Halley dengan Tri
Natha
Tidak tebal memang, tapi ceritanya bagussssss! *dengan banyak 's'*

Pelajaran yang awalnya diniatkan oleh Georgiana, malah pada akhirnya berbalik ke dirinya sendiri. Karena rupanya lelaki yang dia pilih untuk menjadi 'Lesson in Love' adalah seorang lelaki yang pernah terlibat dengan masa lalunya. Lelaki itu meninggalkan dirinya dengan 'kenang-kenangan' sakit hati serta ketidak percayaan kepada diri sendiri dan orang lain.

Pelajaran yang dia susun berhasil dengan mulus, namun apa yang dia niatkan j
Nisha
Sep 27, 2009 Nisha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: love/hate romance lovers and beta hero lovers
A love/hate romance. One of my favorite cliches, but this book portrayed it in a new angle. Lovers with some history and some mistakes who end up realizing that they really love each other.

There are so many reasons why this book read well. One, the hero is actually a fairly normal decent guy, not perfect or too roguish. He had made some mistakes, but forgivable. Two, Triston's family. I loved them all. I wish there was more about them actually. I loved the part when he considered selling one of
Angela Noviana
Baca novel ini..... aku lumer sama Tristan a.k.a Dare. Ya ampun, tuh cowok so sweet banget. Walaupun aku gak setuju sama perlakuan dia 6 tahun lalu kepada Georgiana a.k.a Georgie.

Jadi, 6 tahun lalu, si Dare dengan begonya melakukan taruhan, (1) dia akan mendapatkan ciuman dari Georgiana dan (2) salah satu stoking yang dipakai oleh wanita itu saat itu. Sebenarnya Dare mendapatkan keduanya, tapi yang diketahui oleh masyarakat adalah Dare hanya berhasil mendapatkan ciuman. Kenapa dia menyimpan raha
Ruth
I loved this story. There's no real tortured characters, and not a huge amount of steam, but the electricity between the two protagonists sizzles and the story whips along at a rapid pace. It's great to read a story which leaves you feeling so happy.

The interactions between Georgiana and Dare are great - witty and biting, and oh so smart. I actually chuckled whilst reading it in several places (that never happens!), and I actually found myself saying "what a bitch!" out loud at one point (that a
Eileen
I enjoyed this book; however, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was missing something. This is the first book in a trilogy, but it is connected to a previous book (A Matter of Scandal).

I'm also finding that the Carroway Brothers are scattered throughout other series...What I've found so far:

Tristan (Lord Dare): The Rake (Lessons in Love, Bk. 1)
Robert (Bit): England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, Bk. 3)
Bradshaw (Shaw): Rules of Engagement (Adventurers Club, Bk. 3)
Andrew : Nothing found yet
Ed
fleurette
I have nearly forgotten how good the romances by Suzanne Enoch are. Her witty dialogues are outstanding and always make me laugh. However, I have not read any of her books for some time. The Rake, despite this awful cover, is a really good book.

The complicated relationship between Georgina and Tristan produced so many great dialogues and comments that I laughed aloud more than few times (and I'm not a person who laughs easily). Though, I'm not sure if I liked the ending.

The only thing that I di
KarenF
The 4*s are a bit generous because I felt the book did drag at times. In full disclosure my kindle copy had messed up chapters so it could have been psychological since I had a hard time determining how far into it I was. All that aside, I'm glad a read some reviews because the blurb is quite deceiving. No one is ruined at the beginning, and the hero certainly didn't ruin the heroine for a bet. It does start out with the two at odds and they have some fun verbal battles. Tristan's family is char ...more
Kyraryker
Started off so well, witty fun dialogue and interaction between the two characters. But good golly the middle and ending of the book was like wading through molasses in winter.

The heroine's trust issues with the hero appear and then reappear and reappear and reappear. Look lady, maybe instead of flipping the freak out immediately when a stranger relays some info you're upset to hear, perhaps instead, take a breathe and ask your dude "wtf, do you know what this is about?"

I can handle misunder
Dancer
Ilze
This might have been a 3 or 4 star rating up to the point where an 18 year-old debutante tries to seduce the hero in his own bed, after sneaking undetected out of her own house, at 2 in the morning, by herself, finding a hackney cab and simply walking into the hero's house and finding his bedroom in a mansion of 20 bedrooms, in total darkness. I just couldn't buy into that scene at all. After that it went pretty much downhill, and the gratuitous and trashy sex scenes near the end, especially the ...more
Michelle
Funny that I'd not read this one, since I think I read the rest of the series! A great start to it too, as Tristan Dare and Georgiana's story- their love/hate relationship very engaging It could have gone wrong had the reader been there with G when Tristan betrays her, so I did not hate Dare so much, conveyed as it was. I admired Georgiana and the way she handled Dare before and even when she decides to teach him a lesson. Love seeing his family and getting more background for the brothers who w ...more
Juliana
Quick and relaxing read - the author put an "Author's Note" under chapter 13 saying that Tristan and Georgiana have enough problems to overcome she didn't want to add unlucky numbers in the mix ... made me chuckle, but was true: obstacle after obstacle after obstacle after obstacle. H&H are strong and sweet though and supporting characters are great, so the book definitely deserves 4 stars. Is the first in a trilogy and I'd read the other two books and loved them, so was looking forward to r ...more
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
Suzanne was born in Southern California sometime in the latter half of the 20th century. In the way that some people are born knowing they want to be astronauts or cellists, Suzanne always knew she wanted to be a writer. Early dreams of becoming a zoologist and writing true stories about her adventures in Africa were crushed, however, after she viewed a television special about the world’s most po ...more
More about Suzanne Enoch...

Lessons in Love (3 books)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3) The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1) Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1) Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)

“I'm glad you decided to come."
"It doesn't mean anything." He grinned. "Everything means something.”
4 likes
“He wrote you a poem?" Evelyn looped her hand around Georgiana's arm and led the way to the chairs lining one side of the room.

"He did." Grateful to see Luxley select one of the debutantes as his next victim, Georgiana accepted a glass of Madeira from one of the footman. After three hours of quadrilles, waltzes, and country dances, her feet ached. "And you know what rhymes with Georgiana, don't you?"

Evelyn wrinkled her brow, her gray eyes twinkling. "No, what?"

"Nothing. He just put 'iana' after every ending word. In iambic trimeter, yet. 'Oh, Georgiana, your beauty is my sunlightiana, your hair is finer than goldiana, your—' "

Lucinda made a choking sound.”
3 likes