Complete Book Of Home Preserving

Complete Book Of Home Preserving

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,557 ratings  ·  96 reviews

From the experts, the definitive book on home preserving.

Ball Home Canning Products are the gold standard in home preserving supplies, the trademark jars on display in stores every summer from coast to coast. Now the experts at Ball have written a book destined to become the "bible" of home preserving.

As nutrition and food quality has become more important, home canni

Published 2006 by Toronto : R. Rose

Susie
This weekend a group of friends and I tried canning together and used a salsa recipe from this book. We had a crapload of stuff and altogether it was really successful. This book definitely has more recipes I'd like to try.

My one complaint is that it sometimes skips past more common recipes and leans toward unexpected ones. I'm sure I'll appreciate that eventually but for now I'm a beginner and would like to learn some basics.
Ellen Bell
I checked this book out through the library, but it's one that I definitely need to own a copy of. This book is a lot like Ball's classic Blue Book, but with a LOT more information and additional recipes. It also features a one or two sentence blurb with each recipe, indicating how you might use it (which can be helpful for some of the more obscure chutneys, relishes, etc). The book also contains some helpful reference sections at the end, including a produce buying guide (to help you figure out...more
Karen Jean Matsko Hood
I have tried many of these recipes and they are were all excellent. This is a standard classic and great reference book for home preservers. Karen Jean Matsko Hood
Elisa
This book has it all. Every recipe you might possibly desire from ketchup to chutney to relish to jam, including freezer, sugar, and pectin options. Lots of recipes and pictures and thorough explanations.

What I liked: versatility. plus the recipes sound delicious. If I own a book for canning, this will be the one I purchase. I might check out another from the library for one or two exotic recipes to try, but this will be the staple for canning. I can't wait to try the salsa, pickles, ketchup, e...more
Danette
Every step is spelled out and easy to follow. They explain the 'why' in why it is done this way or that. And so far any recipe I have tried has been great. Grape Jelly, spicy salsa, applesauce, and tomatoes. But, I can't wait to try some of the others!
It's marmalade season, and I have a bag of grapefruit from home in my kitchen. This book has replaced the Ball Blue Book of Preserving as my standard reference. Can't wait to try some of the red wine and herb jellies.
AJ

This book really makes me pine for summer. The first few chapters are all about jams, preserves and fruit spreads. I love nothing more than a good jam on my morning biscuits. Hopefully I will have plenty of opportunity to try them out come summer when fresh fruit is in season. The only thing is that the recipes mostly all call for pectin, and I would like to try the slow boil method to get more flavor from the fruit. At the very least I think the recipes make for good guidelines, how mu...more
Michael
So easy to use and understand. At first I wanted pictures to look at to see if I was doing it correctly, but realized I did not need them. Most of the recipes I cut in half, as I did not need as much, and they all worked wonderfully. This is so much better than store-bought food, and easy to make. I have not tried the pressure cooker methods, but that is my goal for this fall.
Sameera77
I love this book! It offers a great many delicious recipes that you simply desire to try making them yourself. The recipes are written and presented in a very clear way with many useful tips on the left margin, exact amounts of particular ingredients and easy to follow preparation stages. There's an amazing variety and quantity of recipes: jams, jellies, butters, chutneys, salsas,relishes etc making use of varied fruit and vegetables. Sweet apple cider butter is on my list of most wanted preserv...more
Natalia
I just purchased this book and since this will be my first foray into canning, its perfect. Its super easy to follow, I've copied 90 percent of the recipies I want to try. Corn relish, strawberry chocolate sundae topping, omg. So far, the most informative giude I have found. Great book!
Michelle Denna
Although this wasn't as in depth in terms of pressure canning as I had hoped, it was very thorough in reviewing water bath canning (absolutely nothing on steam canners, but I think they just don't recommend them compared to a water bath).

It contains 400 recipes, most of which are things I would never make, but I did walk away with a handful of things I am really wanting to try. All in all, it is a good book to have on the shelves for novice or experienced canners. It answers a lot of questions,...more
Shari Henry
If you're looking for good, old-fashioned, tried-and-true canning recipes, you'll find plenty between this book's covers - jams, jellies, tomatoes, salsa, pickles, veggies, and so much more. Most of the recipes call for water bath canning though there is a section devoted to those items that require pressure canning. A nice chapter on fermentation piqued my interest as well. You'll also get plenty of how-to's, tips, and problem solvers that will help boost your confidence. Consider this the Bett...more
Colette Martin
This is not the easiest book to use, but it is chock full of essential information for canning and preserving.
Ale
Good base recipes and procedure
Princess
This is a comprehensive book of canning recipes. I saw it at the library and thought I would try it out. I've done a small amount of canning/preserving in the past few years. This book is large and has too many recipes that I just don't see myself ever actually preparing. I prefer basic recipes and instructions and this is a bit too "exotic" for me. For more adventurous souls, however, it would be a great fit. And who knows, maybe down the line, with a bit more experience under my belt, I might...more
Anne
I purchased this book a few years ago fulling intending to start canning by the end of that summer. Over the next several years I procrastinated about canning. Until this year! This book helped me get started by laying out the basics for me. Over the past several weeks I have canned Stewed Tomatoes, Salsa, Spaghetti Sauce & Beans. All the veggies came from a garden I am co-oping with a good friend. We also sell extra veggies on a table in front of her home. This income has paid for our canni...more
Jennifer Parks
This is the gold standard in preserving “how-to” covering all manner of foods from jams to pickles, to meats, and it provides explicit details on both the water bath and pressure cooker methods. A bit pedestrian in nature (you won’t find any rose petal jam or honey thyme rhubarb here), this cookbook nevertheless is an indispensable asset in home canning. And I’ll admit that sometimes even I just want plain old-fashioned ordinary jam instead of something highbrow and fru-fru.
Sandra Greenman
This book is written simple enough for the new person and offers plenty of recipes and variations for the more experienced cook. I am looking forward to trying out some of the many recipes in this book. The section on what is needed for each canning project helped me to get started. I followed the steps as outlined in the book and completed my first canning project with success.

Katherine
I looked through this book when I got it, and it is a perfect book for those who are just starting out in home preserving, and for those who have done so for years. It is simple to read, has easy as well as more complicated recipes and they look really scrumptious! There are a few recipes with wine, but that is usual for a cookbook. Almost all of them don't contain wine.
Saille
One of the better books out there. Chalked full of recipes and variety. Includes a nice final chapter on the science of food preservation. Appendix includes a very useful list of fruit/veggies and the raw amounts (weight, numbers) to purchase in order to prep for processing (by the cup, generally). Troubleshooting guides embedded throughout.
Kathryn
I've always used the Ball Blue Book: Guide to Home Canning, Freezing & Dehydration. This newer version is much more comprehensive with beautiful pictures and so many more recipes.
Christi
canned for the first time two days ago using a boiling water canner. made strawberry rhubarb jam from the garden. tasted the leftovers that didn't fit in the jars on toast. YUM. I'm excited to try the other recipes.

i haven't read all the recipes all the way through, but i have read the basic canning instructions twice.
Erik Mallinson
Looks to be a great reference manual for canning. I’m a little bummed that they mention how dire it is to make your own recipes and to stick to these. I haven’t tried them (as I do not own a canner yet) but ingredient–wise I would prefer my recipes for sauce to theirs. The book is adamant that it is fatal to deviate.
Jenn
May 31, 2012 Jenn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
If you only own one book about canning and home preserving, this should be it. A complete overview of canning basics plus tons of great recipes that are tested and safe to use. This book is my go-to book and I use it all summer long while trying to determine how I will preserve the season's bounty.
jess
I mean, basically, this is the definitive book for food preserving. You could buy lots of other ones, but they are all supplementary. Just get this one. Plus the dilly carrot pickle recipe is the BOMB if you add a few birdseye chilis.

this book will help you not poison your family with botulism.
Katherine
I have never tried canning my own fruits and vegetables. I think this book will provide the needed information to begin the process. I have found several recipes that I want to try. The book also listed the necessary equipment and materials for proper canning for both safety and quality.
Valerie Yoh
Fantastic book! I'm a new vegetable gardener and recently decided to learn how to can tomatoes for use in my winter stew recipes. This book did a great job of providing the background information that I needed. It also contains a lot of great recipes. I'm looking forward to trying more!
Lauri
50%+ of this book is devoted to jams, chutneys, and sauces; not really what I was looking for in a canning book. Finally, at the end it instructs you on how to can beans, soups, vegetables, etc. A very good section on pickling as well. Overall, a good starter book for beginning canners.
Kate
my mom gave me her monster iron pressure cooker over christmas with the guidance, "don't blow yourself up." so yeah, i asked for this book for my birthday and am reading it through and through in hopes of preventing such an occurance because i really want to learn how to can!
Erin
Feb 14, 2011 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: Library
Though I haven't gone through this book page by page, I did discover that it had so much information that I had to purchase it. Over 400 recipes, conversion tables, and helpful hints make this book a must have for anyone who is interested in canning and preserving.
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Putting Food By
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
Le Grand Livre Des Conserves: 400 Recettes Délicieuses Et Originales Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today Le grand livre des conserves Bernardin: 400 recettes délicieuses et originales