Start by marking “Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives” as Want to Read:
Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives

Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  540 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Who are the men committing the rising number of serial homicides in the U.S. -- and why do they kill? The increase in these violent crimes over the past decade has created an urgent need for more and better information about these men: their crime scene patterns, violent acts, and above all, their motivations for committing these shocking and repetitive murders.

This author
Published June 1st 1995 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Sexual Homicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sexual Homicide

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Serial Killer Files by Harold SchechterGreen River, Running Red by Ann RuleThe Manson File by Nikolas SchreckSerial Killer Case Files by R.J. Parker
Non-fiction books about Serial Killers
14th out of 91 books — 91 voters
Blink by Malcolm GladwellOutliers by Malcolm GladwellFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittPredictably Irrational by Dan ArielyThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Greatest Psychology Books
107th out of 409 books — 726 voters

More lists with this book...

Zach Fortier
Jul 20, 2013 Zach Fortier rated it it was amazing
I have used this as a reference for many cases I worked and to educate others. Ressler wrote the book on serial killers and understanding patterns. This book is a must in your library if you are a cop or want to be a cop, or perhaps just want to understand what is really going on at crime scenes and not watch police procedural cop shows that are no where near reality. I Highly recommend all of Resslers works
Monzy S
Mar 10, 2011 Monzy S rated it it was amazing
Robert Ressler is my idol, he is a pioneer in behavioral analysis and criminal profiling and a very intelligent, fascinating man, great writer as well. The book is so interesting and educational!
Lightreads
A compilation of multi-authored journal articles from the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin and other sources, discussing various facets of sexual homicide and tracking the statistical results of a thirty-six person offender interview study. The book is intended for law enforcement officers and legal professionals, and the topics range from offender characteristics to crime classifications to post-offense behavior to recommended interview techniques, the role of the sketch artist in an investigation, ...more
Mark
Jan 17, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
Great reference book for authors writng crime fiction
Agostino Scafidi
Mar 26, 2015 Agostino Scafidi rated it liked it
What am I doing reading this book? I'm not law enforcement, or a detective, or a statistician... Yet here I am, writing about this very interesting book I just read... (Read the rest of my review on my blog at http://www.agostinoscafidi.com/2015/0...)
James
Feb 05, 2008 James rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: True crime readers and writers
Sexual Homicide: Paterns and Motives is an excellent source for any investigator or person in need of information on processes of the killers mind. The book looks at the psychology of the offenders as well as the physical aspects identifying different types of offenders.
If you use or like this book Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes is a must have as well.
Nat
Jan 05, 2015 Nat rated it liked it
Shelves: own
While the authors have done much for the field, they aren't without their professional faults, which includes their research. I'm left wondering what happened to the journal article that was submitted based on this book, after it was rejected by the reviewers?
Lee Howard
May 05, 2013 Lee Howard rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Because it's research-heavy, this was a bit dry. And the subject matter is disturbing. But it was fascinating and helpful to me in writing about a protagonist who's a killer.
Tiffany
Jan 27, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I read this for a project when I was in school for my bachelors and I must tell you it makes you think. I mean I know the world has sick people but this book makes it very clear.
Russ
Apr 30, 2012 Russ rated it it was amazing
One of the early definitive books on sexual homicide patterns and the begining of FBI profiling methods in linking serial crimes.
Chalcedony Wyllie
Oct 30, 2014 Chalcedony Wyllie rated it really liked it
It was quite good. I recommend it to anyone who loves to read about the true works behind shows such as Criminal Minds or Stalker
SueAnn
Nov 01, 2010 SueAnn rated it liked it
I read this book for a criminal investigative analysis class. Very interesting.
Johann Manstein
Jul 10, 2011 Johann Manstein rated it it was amazing
This is the real meat of some of the homicide studies
Sidran
Jan 17, 2009 Sidran is currently reading it
i've had this book forever and pick it up every so often.
Mark
Dec 04, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great research tool for novelists - I will buy this
Jess Funk
couldn't put it down both times I read it!
Liz
Apr 25, 2011 Liz added it
it was very insightful and informative.
400nc
400nc marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Brittny
Brittny marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Alysha
Alysha marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kat
Kat is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
TIANA
TIANA marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew is currently reading it
Amy Knapp
Amy Knapp marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Nikhil Malik
Nikhil Malik marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Debby Sullivan
Debby Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Jessica Moody
Jessica Moody rated it really liked it
Kaylee Kohne
Kaylee Kohne rated it it was amazing
Kahkashan
Kahkashan rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
  • Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • Predators: Pedophiles, Rapists, And Other Sex Offenders
  • Signature Killers
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Profilers: Leading Investigators Take You Inside The Criminal Mind
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • The Anatomy of Evil
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • Lustmord: The Writings and Artifacts of Murderers