Start by marking “Is the Bible True . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Skepticism, Evidence, and Truth” as Want to Read:
Is the Bible True . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Skepticism, Evidence, and Truth

Is the Bible True . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Skepticism, Evidence, and Truth (Coffee House Chronicles)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
With over 40 million books sold, bestselling author Josh McDowell is no stranger to creatively presenting biblical truth. Now, partnering with fellow apologist Dave Sterrett, Josh introduces a new series targeted at the intersection of story and truth.

The Coffee House Chronicles are short, easily devoured novellas aimed at answering prevalent spiritual questions. Each book
Published January 1st 2011 by Moody Publishers (first published December 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Is the Bible True . . . Really?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is the Bible True . . . Really?

Melanie
Mar 27, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is The Bible True...Really was a great read. I liked the way it was written -- not at all the way I was expecting. It reminded me a little of the movie God's Not Dead, but only slightly because it's really not the same. A great read!!
Chris
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly;..." - Articles of Faith, verse 8a

"Here are the facts that scholars all across the country agree upon. We don't even have the original words that these fundamentalist Christians tell us God inerrantly inspired. That's right. All we have are the words copied by scribes - sometimes correctly, but certainly not always. We have error-ridden copies that are centuries removed from the originals and different from them in
Christofer Boeyink
This was a pretty good, readable, introduction to issues of Biblical reliability. I really appreciated the beginning - it is a great apologetic for why Campus ministry is so vitally important to our faith.
Robert Justice
Sep 03, 2014 Robert Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the three books in the "Coffee House Chronicles" series.
Presented as a narrative dialogue between a group of college students and a couple of disagreeing professors, the two authors address the issue of the Bible' historical reliability from a Christian perspective.
How do we know that the Bible we have now is the Bible that was originally written so many centuries ago?
How do you reconcile the fact that there are so many variances in the wording between documents of the biblical books?
Bill Stegemueller
Jun 20, 2011 Bill Stegemueller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josh McDowell and Dave Strerrett hit the ball out of the park in their book, “Is the Bible True… Really?” The book is part of their Coffee House Chronicles which is a series that seeks to foster a dialogue on skepticism, evidence, and truth. I loved the fact that this book deals with the subject matter by way of introducing us to the typical struggles of a college student (Nick) with his faith. This made it EASY to read!

The book was relatively short (You can get through it in a single evening) a
Shana
Jun 29, 2014 Shana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great dialogue. I was reading it to get a better understanding myself so I can explain to others why I believe the Bible is true. The examples given of why other historical documents are decided to be true, and the actual documents of the Bible far surpass any other historical documents. I really enjoyed this quick read.
Mike Carroll
May 06, 2015 Mike Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was ok but the apologetics were presented well. The book also has a good bibliography to support the arguments made in case the reader would like to pursue further research.

A quick read that is certainly worth the time.
Anthony
Aug 20, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
Nice little intro to Textual Criticism. Since I'm new to the topic (and Christianity in general) I actually got a lot out of the book although the target is definitely late teens/ early twenties. A couple of Gospel messages thrown in so can be a good book for an unbeliever who is convinced of the Zeitgeist arguments that permeate the Internet these days. I think this would be a great book for a youth group discussion since many young people are unprepared for the textual criticism arguments they ...more
James
Sep 14, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josh McDowell is the expert at describing life's most important spiritual truths in plain, easy to understand English. This book will not disappoint you in any way. In fact, buy several to give away, but don't forget to keep one for yourself to reread periodically. Keep it on your bookshelf right beside that other McDowell classic, "More Than a Carpenter." Buy some more of those too and give them away along with "Is the Bible True." Everyone won't thank you, but a few will be changed eternally.
Luke
Aug 18, 2013 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book a couple of days ago and thought I would check it out. It is a short and easy read that offers simplistic explanations explaining the authority of the scriptures. The book itself is well written and can be read fairly quickly. Personally, it was not one of my favorites but beneficial insights are provided and the reader can glean nuggets of knowledge that give fundamental truths for the inerrancy of the scriptures.
Lindsay
Aug 23, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro for those searching for the answers about the validity of the Bible. It does not go extremely in depth, but the use of a fictional diolouge that happens over a few months makes what would otherwise be a dry topic (to me) easier to make it through. Information given in the book that is based on research is well documented with sources listed in the back, so it is a good place to start and get more info on what else to read.
Lyndsey520971
Jan 26, 2014 Lyndsey520971 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
I think this book possibly changed my life and spiritual journey! I have so much more confidence and understanding in faith and all! i'm starting to read the other 2 books of the Coffee House Chronicles and i'm so excited! I'm already telling all my friends to read this!! And it was SOOOO cool how the facts were made into a relate able story so it was easy to want to read. EXACTLY what I've been looking for! LOVE LOVE LOVE
Sara Gwin
Oct 09, 2013 Sara Gwin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed a lot - and this was not intended to be a humorous book. (Paraphrased example: Silly questioning student, you need scholarly sources to back up that assertion! Here, check out Lee Strobel, a non-academic sharing my viewpoint.) This isn't a book for critcal thinkers. It seems best suited for readers who want their beliefs validated without having to challenge themselves too much.
Emma R
Jul 18, 2011 Emma R rated it it was ok
I would save time and just read more than a carpenter. His points are good, but they are hidden among cheesy dialogue and stereotyped characters (not to say these types of people don't exist, just to say it feels like it was written in a high school creative writing class). I liked it I guess, but I'm not sure what audience it was intended for.
Leigh Ann
Apr 11, 2011 Leigh Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of three books called the Coffee House Chronicles. This is the story of several religion students at a college start questioning the questions of the faith and the discussions they have, often at the Coffee House. There are some believers and some atheists so both side of the discussion is discussed and proven or dis-proven.
Oliver
Aug 14, 2013 Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
A short read, in a story format, but very thorough in documenting sources for its points. The information was useful to learn but the format is really only appealing to someone who grew up in a church then left in high school or college - not as much use for someone with a more extensive history outside the church or no church experience at all.
Jackie
Aug 15, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Provides the background for the historical proof of the New Testament. Bibliography refers to author's other books - too many times for my comfort level. You'd have to check out his other books to see if the bibliographies on those are the same.
Eric
Aug 15, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great way to treat the truth of God's word. This novella describes the research to proof that the New Testament is historical. With a fun story line this is a great young adults searching for The Lord.
Lucas Murillo
Aug 08, 2013 Lucas Murillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent intro on the historical reliability of the Bible set in the context of a story that is very relatable. A must read for HS students and parents.
Donald Scott
Jul 17, 2016 Donald Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In again reading this book after diving into Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted", I find the book more valuable and germane than the first time.
Janet Kaufman
Preferred More than a Carpenter, but had a lot of good resources to continue research.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, quick read about whether the Bible can be a trusted source.
Shawn
Olga T
Olga T added it
Aug 17, 2016
Garret Mudd
Garret Mudd marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Urs
Urs marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Meaghan Nuckols
Meaghan Nuckols marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Nothing Is Impossible with God: Reflections on Weakness, Faith, and Power
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Alive: A Cold-Case Approach To The Resurrection
  • Knowing the Truth About Jesus the Messiah (Defenders Series)
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • How the Bible Came to Be (Ebook Shorts)
  • The Kingdom of God
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • Paul's Letter to the Romans (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
  • 19 Gifts of the Spirit
  • God's Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • 20 Compelling Evidences That God Exists: Discover Why Believing in God Makes So Much Sense
As a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He truly believed that Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, Josh discovered compelling, overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. After trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, Josh’s life changed dramatically as he experienced the power of ...more
More about Josh McDowell...

Coffee House Chronicles (3 books)
  • Who is Jesus... Really?: A Dialogue on God, Man, and Grace
  • Did the Resurrection Happen . . . Really?